Ban and gold confiscated for being RMT trolled ...

@"Sapinzeus.1932" Instead of arguing the point with us here, on the forums, update your ticket with a request for escalation. Keep things simple. Start with your request to be "made whole" and explain your reasoning (you received an unauthorized email, which you did not accept). Wait for Support and discuss the details with them. Focus on your actual concerns, and leave any editorializing or comments or suggestions until after the matter is resolved.

Support has a good track record of fixing mistakes **if** they actually made one and **if** the player is able to communicate that clearly.

Don't worry about what we said here (especially don't worry about if any of us think it matters in the least what your native tongue is).

And good luck. If you have time, please let us know what you learn and how things turn out.

> @"Sleepwalker.1398" said:

> Hey, so what is Anet's stand on this if an innocent player gets trolled?

> Take screenshot, return gold and notify support?

> Or take screenshot, return the gold and do nothing.

>

* Report the email (there's a button for that at the bottom).

* Take a screenshot (if you want)

* Return the mail to sender.

* Do not under any circumstances accept the gold if you're suspicious.

You can also file a support ticket, but I don't think that's necessary unless something unexpected happens.

Considering how carefully and well-informed a receiver needs to handle incoming RMT trolling, how much trouble it causes, how much time and effort it cost, how easily it is done and how widespread the information is by now, I'm dead sure we'll see a lot more of it. Then again, still better than swatting.... -.-

Perhaps an entirely different approach is required to fight RMTs, eg. limiting money per ingame mail to friend list and guild.

> @"Plok.5873" said:

> Considering how carefully and well-informed a receiver needs to handle incoming RMT trolling, how much trouble it causes, how much time and effort it cost, how easily it is done and how widespread the information is by now, I'm dead sure we'll see a lot more of it. Then again, still better than swatting.... -.-

>

> Perhaps an entirely different approach is required to fight RMTs, eg. limiting money per ingame mail to friend list and guild.

I was sent a mysterious mail containing a sum of gold yesterday. No message attached, only gold. I just had opened 9 other mails from alts, so I almost accepted it without thinking.

Know what I did?

"Return to sender"

Troll averted, nothing has happened and my account is not in any danger whatsoever. Please, I encourage more people to RMT troll me and literally waste their real money for nothing.

Yeah, but why would anyone want to send you gold in the first place? What benefit is it to them? > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > @"Plok.5873" said:

> > Considering how carefully and well-informed a receiver needs to handle incoming RMT trolling, how much trouble it causes, how much time and effort it cost, how easily it is done and how widespread the information is by now, I'm dead sure we'll see a lot more of it. Then again, still better than swatting.... -.-

> >

> > Perhaps an entirely different approach is required to fight RMTs, eg. limiting money per ingame mail to friend list and guild.

>

> I was sent a mysterious mail containing a sum of gold yesterday. No message attached, only gold. I just had opened 9 other mails from alts, so I almost accepted it without thinking.

>

> Know what I did?

>

> "Return to sender"

>

> Troll averted, nothing has happened and my account is not in any danger whatsoever. Please, I encourage more people to RMT troll me and literally waste their real money for nothing.

If they know you can get ban for it ? and that's not someone who send you a mail : he paid a RMT service to send to you gold with their illegal account. ... 3 euros to ban someone: that's pretty cheap.

Like > @"Plok.5873" said:

> Considering how carefully and well-informed a receiver needs to handle incoming RMT trolling, how much trouble it causes, how much time and effort it cost, how easily it is done and how widespread the information is by now, I'm dead sure we'll see a lot more of it. Then again, still better than swatting.... -.-

>

> Perhaps an entirely different approach is required to fight RMTs, eg. limiting money per ingame mail to friend list and guild.

Ok, then you apparently have an enemy somewhere out there.

> @"Sapinzeus.1932" said:

> If they know you can get ban for it ? and that's not someone who send you a mail : he paid a RMT service to send to you gold with their illegal account. ... 3 euros to ban someone: that's pretty cheap.

> Like > @"Plok.5873" said:

> > Considering how carefully and well-informed a receiver needs to handle incoming RMT trolling, how much trouble it causes, how much time and effort it cost, how easily it is done and how widespread the information is by now, I'm dead sure we'll see a lot more of it. Then again, still better than swatting.... -.-

> >

> > Perhaps an entirely different approach is required to fight RMTs, eg. limiting money per ingame mail to friend list and guild.

>

>

> @"SHM.7628" said:

> Yeah, but why would anyone want to send you gold in the first place? What benefit is it to them? > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > @"Plok.5873" said:

> > > Considering how carefully and well-informed a receiver needs to handle incoming RMT trolling, how much trouble it causes, how much time and effort it cost, how easily it is done and how widespread the information is by now, I'm dead sure we'll see a lot more of it. Then again, still better than swatting.... -.-

> > >

> > > Perhaps an entirely different approach is required to fight RMTs, eg. limiting money per ingame mail to friend list and guild.

> >

> > I was sent a mysterious mail containing a sum of gold yesterday. No message attached, only gold. I just had opened 9 other mails from alts, so I almost accepted it without thinking.

> >

> > Know what I did?

> >

> > "Return to sender"

> >

> > Troll averted, nothing has happened and my account is not in any danger whatsoever. Please, I encourage more people to RMT troll me and literally waste their real money for nothing.

>

>

Probably because of my comments on threads like this, claiming that it's impossible to get punished if you don't accept the gold.

Final response from the support : "they are always exceptions but we can't detect it" ... they know about RMT trolling but they don't know (for now) how to protect the players of it. So for now, you can just do like > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> * Report the email (there's a button for that at the bottom).

> * Take a screenshot (if you want)

> * Return the mail to sender.

> * Do not under any circumstances accept the gold if you're suspicious.

>

> You can also file a support ticket, but I don't think that's necessary unless something unexpected happens.

And hope there will be no "exception" on your case...

For solution to resolve that type of situation, the best that can be implemented in the game is the idea of > @"Plok.5873" :

> @"Ray Koopa.2354" said:

> So to summarize, your only "error" was to keep the mail (unaccepted) instead of immediately returning it?

If you want to prevent this situation, you need to return the mail before the GM investigates, but that's unrealistic since it could only be a few hours before your account is at the top of the queue, though 24-72 hours is more likely. Whether you return it or not however, your account will be investigated, it's just a matter of you returning the mail first or the GM deducting the amount directly from your account. If they do deduct it, the gold in the mail is yours, so if you return it, it's essentially the equivalent of accidentally mailing someone gold, and you'd need to contact a higher level of support to get it back (GM Magister being your best bet). As for the worries of a permanent mark on your account, their recent policy clarification claims that they don't ban for simply receiving gold, so carry on as if nothing happened.

> And hope there will be no "exception" on your case...

I don't have to 'hope' because (a) it's incredibly rare that people get an unauthorized RMT delivery and (b) it's even more rare that the recipient will be in a situation in which ANet Support can't tell what happened.

Exception-driven policy and mechanics is generally a bad idea, as it makes things less efficient and less fun. There isn't a sudden rash of people receiving 200 gold or more from strangers or a sudden increase in the count of people without any history of RMT to get dinged by support.

I don't want to minimize the OP's frustration: there is no scenario where this would feel good to anyone. My point is that the vast majority of people aren't affected.

Or perhaps not. Such a limit affects everyone, including mentors who routinely ship goods & coin to new players to help them get started, donations to players, tips for portals & commanders, and so on. And it only benefits that teeny tiny fraction of players who get unsolicited gold from unauthorized sources.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" there is already a limit on in-game mail: https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230430967-Gold-Wealth-Transfer-Restrictions-Mail-Guild-Bank-

> @"Healix.5819" said:

> As for the worries of a permanent mark on your account, their recent policy clarification claims that they don't ban for simply receiving gold, so carry on as if nothing happened.

For now, I will play GW2 way less than before (I will continue co-leading my raid's roster and complete dailies but nothing more now ...). For "their recent policy clarification" support told me (2 GMs, one in English AND one in French) that the flag is used to see if there is recidivism and if there is recidivism, they can take actions against the account (week ban, 6month ban, and permanent ban).

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" there is already a limit on in-game mail: https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230430967-Gold-Wealth-Transfer-Restrictions-Mail-Guild-Bank-

That's a 500 gold limit per week, not a 0 gold limit per century. It doesn't prevent people from sending tips and care packages as would the proposal to which I responded would...

The weekly gold limit affects a tiny fraction of players. A permanent limit to just guilds/friend-list affects a lot more people, especially new players who are less likely to be part of guilds or have a network of associates.

I'm sorry that you've had to deal with this and I'm sympathetic to the frustration you must feel. But there isn't some sort of epidemic of unsolicited RMT donations. (It's not even 'new'; there was at least one infamous case within a few months after launch, resulting in a suspension for an innocent party. The decision was successfully appealed.) And players already have the option to "opt out" by returning the mail to sender and blocking the individual if necessary.

> @"Nemezijus.6851" said:

> This is ridiculous treatment or players. Tipping mesmers at JPs is very common these days and there are guilds who do it regularly (PINK <3). But now this current RMT ban trolling makes everyone paranoid regarding receiving tips. Anet should find a better way to handle this.

Nope, simply not true. Nobody has to worry about this. For it to happen somebody has to spend actual money for it, nobody would do that just to troll somebody. Just like nobody would just silently send gold without message or having ever interacted with you. Plus, the person doing the ports would at least see names of characters they port through the JP, they could see the name of the person sending the mail, if they don't recognize it or the mail doesn't have any message then they can still decide whether to accept it or not. This isn't some huge issue, the two times it happened just blew up and any punishment was due to them accepting the gold or not clicking Return to Sender.