Please make it so players want to be in PoF maps

BlueJin.4127

I agree with OP. Take a look at the Serpent's Ire meta in Vabbi. Sure, sure...I keep hearing that some guild(s) from EU do it as a planned event, but I've never seen one at all. The three or four times I have seen it attempted, have all resulted in failures. There's simply not enough people and not enough interest in running around in the cancer-storm area of Vabbi. I've all but given up getting the recording from that event (for the Redeeming IG-6417 collection).

> @"BlueJin.4127" said:

> I think PoF maps look amazingly beautiful. Anet's artists have done a wonderful job. Every time I fly around my griffon, it just takes my breath away how beautiful PoF maps are. Gameplay wise, they're also really good. While I personally prefer HoT maps in terms of gameplay, PoF is much more solo friendly and relaxing for exploration. Between HoT maps and PoF maps, there are two very different but amazing styles of maps that players can really get hooked into. However, despite the amazing job Anet has done, there are some issues that really push players away from PoF maps, which is a real shame.

>

> 1) Ridiculous aggro range of enemies - I was just talking in map chat earlier today and this is why I decided to post here. Despite the amazing job Anet has done on PoF maps, the ridiculous aggro range of enemies single handedly turns PoF maps into complete garbage (IMO). I'd start getting immersed by the beautiful design of PoF maps, then all of a sudden, a whole bunch of enemies from outside my screen constantly aggro, and really kills any kind of fun I was having. It is very disruptive and is the main reason I just stay from PoF maps like the plague. This really should be addressed to make exploring PoF more FUN.

>

> 2) Poor event rewards - Since I don't spend much time in PoF maps, I don't know much about this. However, I read this a lot in the forums and I'm sure other players can explain in more detail.

>

> Anet, please do not abandon PoF maps. Go back and address these issues. Personally, I'm afraid of purchasing the missing LWS4 maps or any future expansions because I just feel like Anet just abandons things at the drop of a hat and I would simply be wasting money if there's something I really dislike.

>

> EDIT - One thing I forgot to mention, is that the aggro range can drive new players away. One of the players in chat appeared to be a fairly new player. He wasn't good at combat and couldn't handle the swarm of enemies that aggro from such long range and sounded very frustrated.

>

> Enemies outside PoF have aggro range of about 600. PoF enemies have aggro range of about 900. Some specific enemies probably have different values (such as major bosses), but I didn’t test that.

just a quick question: are the flying mounts able to fly constantly? Or do they have like a bar that runs out and you have to land after a few seconds?

Just wondering :)

Thanks

> @"Cedric Ambidexter.9174" said:

> just a quick question: are the flying mounts able to fly constantly? Or do they have like a bar that runs out and you have to land after a few seconds?

>

> Just wondering :)

>

> Thanks

There are technically two mounts that "fly". The Griffon doesn't really fly, as you are constantly losing altitude unless you flap your wings, which will lift you up a bit). The flapping mechanic has an endurance bar that has to refresh. The Skimmer always stays just above the ground.

> @"misterman.1530" said:

> > @"Cedric Ambidexter.9174" said:

> > just a quick question: are the flying mounts able to fly constantly? Or do they have like a bar that runs out and you have to land after a few seconds?

> >

> > Just wondering :)

> >

> > Thanks

>

> There are technically two mounts that "fly". The Griffon doesn't really fly, as you are constantly losing altitude unless you flap your wings, which will lift you up a bit). The flapping mechanic has an endurance bar that has to refresh. The Skimmer always stays just above the ground.

That's really neat!

> > @"misterman.1530" said:

> > > @"Cedric Ambidexter.9174" said:

> > > just a quick question: are the flying mounts able to fly constantly? Or do they have like a bar that runs out and you have to land after a few seconds?

> > >

> > > Just wondering :)

> > >

> > > Thanks

> >

> > There are technically two mounts that "fly". The Griffon doesn't really fly, as you are constantly losing altitude unless you flap your wings, which will lift you up a bit). The flapping mechanic has an endurance bar that has to refresh. The Skimmer always stays just above the ground.

>

> That's really neat!

The one issue with mounts, especially in certain areas of Vabbi, is you cannot mount if you are in combat...for reasons(?). The cancer-storm areas hit you with a bolt of lightning periodically when you are touching the ground. So, you fight a mob, while getting hit with lightning. Then have to wait for that tiny window of time in which you are not in combat and quickly mount - before you get struck by lightning again. Yeah, not fun.

> > > @"misterman.1530" said:

> > > > @"Cedric Ambidexter.9174" said:

> > > > just a quick question: are the flying mounts able to fly constantly? Or do they have like a bar that runs out and you have to land after a few seconds?

> > > >

> > > > Just wondering :)

> > > >

> > > > Thanks

> > >

> > > There are technically two mounts that "fly". The Griffon doesn't really fly, as you are constantly losing altitude unless you flap your wings, which will lift you up a bit). The flapping mechanic has an endurance bar that has to refresh. The Skimmer always stays just above the ground.

> >

> > That's really neat!

>

> The one issue with mounts, especially in certain areas of Vabbi, is you cannot mount if you are in combat...for reasons(?). The cancer-storm areas hit you with a bolt of lightning periodically when you are touching the ground. So, you fight a mob, while getting hit with lightning. Then have to wait for that tiny window of time in which you are not in combat and quickly mount - before you get struck by lightning again. Yeah, not fun.

I noticed that....seems really dumb to not be able to 'escape' while in combat: that would be amazing for role-playing effects, which to me is the whole point of an MMORPG. Games that focus too heavily or gear towards balance and other mechanics lose so much from their core.

> > @"misterman.1530" said:

> > > @"Cedric Ambidexter.9174" said:

> > > > @"misterman.1530" said:

> > > > > @"Cedric Ambidexter.9174" said:

> > > > > just a quick question: are the flying mounts able to fly constantly? Or do they have like a bar that runs out and you have to land after a few seconds?

> > > > >

> > > > > Just wondering :)

> > > > >

> > > > > Thanks

> > > >

> > > > There are technically two mounts that "fly". The Griffon doesn't really fly, as you are constantly losing altitude unless you flap your wings, which will lift you up a bit). The flapping mechanic has an endurance bar that has to refresh. The Skimmer always stays just above the ground.

> > >

> > > That's really neat!

> >

> > The one issue with mounts, especially in certain areas of Vabbi, is you cannot mount if you are in combat...for reasons(?). The cancer-storm areas hit you with a bolt of lightning periodically when you are touching the ground. So, you fight a mob, while getting hit with lightning. Then have to wait for that tiny window of time in which you are not in combat and quickly mount - before you get struck by lightning again. Yeah, not fun.

>

> I noticed that....seems really dumb to not be able to 'escape' while in combat: that would be amazing for role-playing effects, which to me is the whole point of an MMORPG. Games that focus too heavily or gear towards balance and other mechanics lose so much from their core.

This was done on purpose by anet so that you cant skip *everything*, get demounted you *must* fight to be able to escape.

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> a clear l2p issue for the OP, the pof maps are ridiculously easy compared to the hot ones.

> And wow also doesnt let you mount while in combat.

Nowhere in the post does he/she say that its difficult to play in PoF. All they say is that the leash and aggro range of mobs is an annoyance, not hard, an annoyance. Just like Mindcircus above, reading what the post actually says is helpful.

> @"Shivvies.3921" said:

> I don't know. Maybe this is related to the fact that I LIKE dispatching enemies.

>

> Had similar discussions in Bitterfrost. You know how people just drop enemies on you and then limp away with "chilled" on their bar? I can understand not wanting to deal with mobs in PoF as they are rarely "lucrative" to kill but in Bitterfrost they are also heart completion so *shrug*

>

> I wonder what the Anet reason for making them aggro from farther in PoF maps.

Oh, I love combat in this game, too. It's very fun. :smile: The problem isn't so much that the enemies don't drop lucrative loot (for me, anyways), it's just that I love doing more than just combat. I love to explore the world, doing a variety of things. But in PoF, the aggro range is so big that my exploring is constantly disrupted by forced fights after forced fights after forced fights. What really gets annoying, is when I dispatch the initially aggroed enemies, then just before I can mount, another group of enemies aggro. I then dispatch that, and before I can mount, yet ANOTHER group of enemies aggro. This gets really annoying. :disappointed:

On a side note, one time, this actually led to something good. After gathering something then dispatching 3 different groups of enemies that aggroed one after another, I aggroed yet another enemy. I was about to get annoyed when I noticed that it was actually a bounty that spawned on top of me. :smiley: While I'm not actively doing any bounties, I do enjoy helping people who need them, and also getting them done for myself in advance, in case I ever need them in the future.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > > @"misterman.1530" said:

> > > > > > @"Cedric Ambidexter.9174" said:

> > > > > > just a quick question: are the flying mounts able to fly constantly? Or do they have like a bar that runs out and you have to land after a few seconds?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Just wondering :)

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Thanks

> > > > >

> > > > > There are technically two mounts that "fly". The Griffon doesn't really fly, as you are constantly losing altitude unless you flap your wings, which will lift you up a bit). The flapping mechanic has an endurance bar that has to refresh. The Skimmer always stays just above the ground.

> > > >

> > > > That's really neat!

> > >

> > > The one issue with mounts, especially in certain areas of Vabbi, is you cannot mount if you are in combat...for reasons(?). The cancer-storm areas hit you with a bolt of lightning periodically when you are touching the ground. So, you fight a mob, while getting hit with lightning. Then have to wait for that tiny window of time in which you are not in combat and quickly mount - before you get struck by lightning again. Yeah, not fun.

> >

> > I noticed that....seems really dumb to not be able to 'escape' while in combat: that would be amazing for role-playing effects, which to me is the whole point of an MMORPG. Games that focus too heavily or gear towards balance and other mechanics lose so much from their core.

>

> This was done on purpose by anet so that you cant skip *everything*, get demounted you *must* fight to be able to escape.

>

> > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > a clear l2p issue for the OP, the pof maps are ridiculously easy compared to the hot ones.

> > And wow also doesnt let you mount while in combat.

>

> Nowhere in the post does he/she say that its difficult to play in PoF. All they say is that the leash and aggro range of mobs is an annoyance, not hard, an annoyance. Just like Mindcircus above, reading what the post actually says is helpful.

I actually find the pof map really annoying: literally everywhere you stand you get attacked.....I remember once trying to find somewhere safe to stand for a while so I could look at my build and do other things, and I kept having to fight or move. Maybe because I'm still new, but I don't remember having this issue in hot. Also the enemies are a lot harder in pof.

> @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > @"BlueJin.4127" said:

> > > @"DaFishBob.6518" said:

> > > Treasure hunting kits are another thing because of the chance to find material shipments, unidentified gear, freshwater pearls. Now I put this into another section because I will acknowledge that using treasure hunting kits is an absolute pain with the maps as they are. The kits are clearly designed with mount usage in mind based on where the treasures tend to be buried and the special action being usable while mounted, problem is the whole can't mount in battle and being constantly harassed by angry desert critters. That reminds me, I want a change or a mastery that let's us mount during combat and puts a cool down on mounting instead like when a ranger changes pets during combat. Would make the desert less annoying.

> >

> > OMG, I remember this. I once decided to try the treasure hunting kit, then after killing a dozen or so enemies in the treasure area, I never bothered with the treasure hunting kit ever again.

> >

> > Stuff like this really hammers the point. What's the point of having stuff to do, when the aggro range just drives players away.

>

> I treasure hunt all the time. I never fight enemies. I get in, get the treasure and run until I'm out of aggro...even if I have to jump off a cliff and glide till I'm out of aggro, then mount, and use the next treasure map. I usually get 12 or 13 chests during an average run. Just put on some run skills, maybe condition removal and get out of there. Why even bother fighting. The goal of the treasure hunt is to hit and run.

To run from one side of the map all the way to the other side and from there back where you came from to get, well nothing more than 1 of the several events in between, when it happens, is a bit discouraging to me.

Whereas sunspear chests in Istan I actually like to run daily once, as it doesnt send me into 5 random locations, and I can be done in 30 minutes AND has the occasional chance for a random exotic with special skin.

But yeah, aggro.. I never thought that would be a problem.

I never liked the "organised-HoT-Meta-Events". But I really enjoyed the impactful eventchains before and how they were connected to each other(and the rewards). It seems the eventchains in PoF don't matter at all. They feel like solo-quests instead. I know that some are connected to each other, but timegaps between those events make it even more difficult to see "the big picture" since you most likely will already have moved.

I don't think anybody will come back to the maps unless it's for a new character or to help a friend out. Why? Because the people that care have already gotten everything they would want out of it. I finished every single achievement sans the100 needle one because the meta infuriates me with the inconsistency. Sometimes I lead bounty runs, that's about it.

All they need to do is make the Living World episodes fun on replay.

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> All they need to do is make the Living World episodes fun on replay.

I don't think that's unique to S4. The only reason I set foot in S3 maps is to harvest materials or achievements. I doubt I will ever start the LS S3 story again on 2nd character. Nothing could get me to do the story in Draconis Mons or Lake Doric again =/

> > > > just a quick question: are the flying mounts able to fly constantly? Or do they have like a bar that runs out and you have to land after a few seconds?

> > > >

> > > > Just wondering :)

> > > >

> > > > Thanks

> > >

> > > There are technically two mounts that "fly". The Griffon doesn't really fly, as you are constantly losing altitude unless you flap your wings, which will lift you up a bit). The flapping mechanic has an endurance bar that has to refresh. The Skimmer always stays just above the ground.

> >

> > That's really neat!

>

> The one issue with mounts, especially in certain areas of Vabbi, is you cannot mount if you are in combat...for reasons(?). The cancer-storm areas hit you with a bolt of lightning periodically when you are touching the ground. So, you fight a mob, while getting hit with lightning. Then have to wait for that tiny window of time in which you are not in combat and quickly mount - before you get struck by lightning again. Yeah, not fun.

Get under cover (inside buildings, under overhanging walls, inside djinn bubbles, etc), and the lightning stops hitting you.

> @"CeNedro.7560" said:

> I never liked the "organised-HoT-Meta-Events". But I really enjoyed the impactful eventchains before and how they were connected to each other(and the rewards). It seems the eventchains in PoF don't matter at all. They feel like solo-quests instead. I know that some are connected to each other, but timegaps between those events make it even more difficult to see "the big picture" since you most likely will already have moved.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I liked how in core gw2 some/most? events lead somewhere had an ending and a beginning. Usually unlocking a merchant with some flavour gear and such.

And even though Anet rarely let that evolve into more than that, I always imagined they maybe would have special thematic items. Actually not much different from what collections do now even, just more interactive with the NPCs rather than my achievement UI.

I also expected more complex event chains that could have slightly different alterations or directions depending on whatever happens in the event, without affecting achievements outcomes or rewards too much. Which I can see now is ofcourse a bit too advanced to make. Although instead of branching definitely a clear ministory/ maybe more (tabletop)quest-like structure, where it feels more like an adventure rather than just patrols, random copy and pasted treasure groups, etc.

Either way, I believe, that while those are sort of my ideals with the event system, I'm fairly sure its also not that easy to make, and that that is why we havent seen anything like that. Though I do agree with the notion that events have become impersonal, and filler-y possibly gamefied in PoF. It doesnt care whether players do them or not, NPCs dont cry out for help, only rarely guards point to events and then only when asked.

Alot of sense of urgency is missing with the latest events. And become more of a UI message, where it spams your screen, rather than an NPCs coming to you and begging your face off, or even seeing that the environment changed, was impacted by lack of action.

Instead of surprising the player with intricate NPC behaviour or environment, its all in the UI these days. Probably because most players would simply totally miss out, though for me its very handhold-y and not as interesting. Entertaining still, but clearly normalised and simplified for the bigger audience. Which I suppose is understandable.

> @"DaFishBob.6518" said:

> That reminds me, I want a change or a mastery that let's us mount during combat and puts a cool down on mounting instead like when a ranger changes pets during combat. Would make the desert less annoying.

I'd settle for a mastery that turns the mount button into an interruptible channel while in combat. At least then I wouldn't have to worry about random conditions taking forever to wear off (cripple, I'm talking about you) to get OOC, or more obnoxiously, being unable to mount because I'm stuck in combat with an enemy that I can't reach without mounting (annoying hero point branded ogre boss in DH, I'm talking about you).

> @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > @"BlueJin.4127" said:

> > > > @"DaFishBob.6518" said:

> > > > Treasure hunting kits are another thing because of the chance to find material shipments, unidentified gear, freshwater pearls. Now I put this into another section because I will acknowledge that using treasure hunting kits is an absolute pain with the maps as they are. The kits are clearly designed with mount usage in mind based on where the treasures tend to be buried and the special action being usable while mounted, problem is the whole can't mount in battle and being constantly harassed by angry desert critters. That reminds me, I want a change or a mastery that let's us mount during combat and puts a cool down on mounting instead like when a ranger changes pets during combat. Would make the desert less annoying.

> > >

> > > OMG, I remember this. I once decided to try the treasure hunting kit, then after killing a dozen or so enemies in the treasure area, I never bothered with the treasure hunting kit ever again.

> > >

> > > Stuff like this really hammers the point. What's the point of having stuff to do, when the aggro range just drives players away.

> >

> > I treasure hunt all the time. I never fight enemies. I get in, get the treasure and run until I'm out of aggro...even if I have to jump off a cliff and glide till I'm out of aggro, then mount, and use the next treasure map. I usually get 12 or 13 chests during an average run. Just put on some run skills, maybe condition removal and get out of there. Why even bother fighting. The goal of the treasure hunt is to hit and run.

>

> To run from one side of the map all the way to the other side and from there back where you came from to get, well nothing more than 1 of the several events in between, when it happens, is a bit discouraging to me.

>

> Whereas sunspear chests in Istan I actually like to run daily once, as it doesnt send me into 5 random locations, and I can be done in 30 minutes AND has the occasional chance for a random exotic with special skin.

>

> But yeah, aggro.. I never thought that would be a problem.

So you don't think a chest is worth a waypoint? Waypoint and move. Waypoint and move. I get 12 chests is 12 waypoints so maybe 15 silver. A single intact mosaic is worth 3 gold. Just port and go.

> @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > @"BlueJin.4127" said:

> > > > > @"DaFishBob.6518" said:

> > > > > Treasure hunting kits are another thing because of the chance to find material shipments, unidentified gear, freshwater pearls. Now I put this into another section because I will acknowledge that using treasure hunting kits is an absolute pain with the maps as they are. The kits are clearly designed with mount usage in mind based on where the treasures tend to be buried and the special action being usable while mounted, problem is the whole can't mount in battle and being constantly harassed by angry desert critters. That reminds me, I want a change or a mastery that let's us mount during combat and puts a cool down on mounting instead like when a ranger changes pets during combat. Would make the desert less annoying.

> > > >

> > > > OMG, I remember this. I once decided to try the treasure hunting kit, then after killing a dozen or so enemies in the treasure area, I never bothered with the treasure hunting kit ever again.

> > > >

> > > > Stuff like this really hammers the point. What's the point of having stuff to do, when the aggro range just drives players away.

> > >

> > > I treasure hunt all the time. I never fight enemies. I get in, get the treasure and run until I'm out of aggro...even if I have to jump off a cliff and glide till I'm out of aggro, then mount, and use the next treasure map. I usually get 12 or 13 chests during an average run. Just put on some run skills, maybe condition removal and get out of there. Why even bother fighting. The goal of the treasure hunt is to hit and run.

> >

> > To run from one side of the map all the way to the other side and from there back where you came from to get, well nothing more than 1 of the several events in between, when it happens, is a bit discouraging to me.

> >

> > Whereas sunspear chests in Istan I actually like to run daily once, as it doesnt send me into 5 random locations, and I can be done in 30 minutes AND has the occasional chance for a random exotic with special skin.

> >

> > But yeah, aggro.. I never thought that would be a problem.

>

> So you don't think a chest is worth a waypoint? Waypoint and move. Waypoint and move. I get 12 chests is 12 waypoints so maybe 15 silver. A single intact mosaic is worth 3 gold. Just port and go.

I never really thought about it that way. Probably the paying for rewards bit is counterintuitive for me. And I am not someone to sell the materials on the TP.

But maybe ill give it a try some day. I do have loads of treasure maps still.

> @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > @"BlueJin.4127" said:

> > > > > > @"DaFishBob.6518" said:

> > > > > > Treasure hunting kits are another thing because of the chance to find material shipments, unidentified gear, freshwater pearls. Now I put this into another section because I will acknowledge that using treasure hunting kits is an absolute pain with the maps as they are. The kits are clearly designed with mount usage in mind based on where the treasures tend to be buried and the special action being usable while mounted, problem is the whole can't mount in battle and being constantly harassed by angry desert critters. That reminds me, I want a change or a mastery that let's us mount during combat and puts a cool down on mounting instead like when a ranger changes pets during combat. Would make the desert less annoying.

> > > > >

> > > > > OMG, I remember this. I once decided to try the treasure hunting kit, then after killing a dozen or so enemies in the treasure area, I never bothered with the treasure hunting kit ever again.

> > > > >

> > > > > Stuff like this really hammers the point. What's the point of having stuff to do, when the aggro range just drives players away.

> > > >

> > > > I treasure hunt all the time. I never fight enemies. I get in, get the treasure and run until I'm out of aggro...even if I have to jump off a cliff and glide till I'm out of aggro, then mount, and use the next treasure map. I usually get 12 or 13 chests during an average run. Just put on some run skills, maybe condition removal and get out of there. Why even bother fighting. The goal of the treasure hunt is to hit and run.

> > >

> > > To run from one side of the map all the way to the other side and from there back where you came from to get, well nothing more than 1 of the several events in between, when it happens, is a bit discouraging to me.

> > >

> > > Whereas sunspear chests in Istan I actually like to run daily once, as it doesnt send me into 5 random locations, and I can be done in 30 minutes AND has the occasional chance for a random exotic with special skin.

> > >

> > > But yeah, aggro.. I never thought that would be a problem.

> >

> > So you don't think a chest is worth a waypoint? Waypoint and move. Waypoint and move. I get 12 chests is 12 waypoints so maybe 15 silver. A single intact mosaic is worth 3 gold. Just port and go.

>

> I never really thought about it that way. Probably the paying for rewards bit is counterintuitive for me. And I am not someone to sell the materials on the TP.

>

> But maybe ill give it a try some day. I do have loads of treasure maps still.

Well, if you're not going to be crafting the various stuff you can make with it (grieving gear) there's very little reason to hold onto it. However, I wanted to craft the new armor sets from the current living world and it saved me a small fortune, so there's that. Plus you get elegy mosaics from it too, which you need for other things (like purchasing the funerary weapons from the Steward in the Tomb of Primevil Kings. I mean you can get elegy mosaics from legendary bounties too, but occasionally they fail and there's not always a group and I don't always want to organize a group. Plus I get the occasional freshwater pearl, so yeah for me it's definitely worth it.