Why dont people buy expansions?

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> HP trains are usually for newbies. You can't expect a newbie to already have all content unlocked.

HP trains are most often people with multiple alternate players who want to make quick work of the getting an elite spec. The HoT maps are more difficult to find PUGs for HPs because of the terrain complexities.

> Exactly. Don't know where the OP gets their "data", but I have rarely encountered GW2 players who haven't bought the expansions - except for those free2play accounts who are new and still trying out the game.

Same here. I have a core Tyria account and an f2p account as well as a full account. I made both after f2p was introduced to better understand the limitations the game places restricted players.

This thread has the flavor of Reddit with the complaining about a speculative issue and hyperbole to sell the emotion.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"keenedge.9675" said:

> HP trains are most often people with multiple alternate players who want to make quick work of the getting an elite spec. The HoT maps are more difficult to find PUGs for HPs because of the terrain complexities.

I have not had any trouble finding PUGs, and I completed all HoT maps on circa a dozen characters over the course of years.

> @"Dabrixmgp.4758" said:

> > @"RoRo.8270" said:

> > > @"Dabrixmgp.4758" said:

> > > I have played most of the big name MMOs going back to my Ultima Online days in the late 90s. So why is this literally like the only game where people just dont buy expansions? I have even seen some absurd forum posts accusing the game of being pay2win since most Elite Specs are stronger than their Cores.

> >

> > When I played heart of thorns almost all elite specs were better than the core ones. I can't say if it's still like that for path of fire. Yes that would then entail it is pay 2 win

>

> how is that pay 2 win when its normal game progression to buy an expansion? pay2win is if they started selling ascended gear for gems.

How is that not p2win? People with the expansion were at a advantage compared to the ones without.

> @"RoRo.8270" said:

> > @"Dabrixmgp.4758" said:

> > > @"RoRo.8270" said:

> > > > @"Dabrixmgp.4758" said:

> > > > I have played most of the big name MMOs going back to my Ultima Online days in the late 90s. So why is this literally like the only game where people just dont buy expansions? I have even seen some absurd forum posts accusing the game of being pay2win since most Elite Specs are stronger than their Cores.

> > >

> > > When I played heart of thorns almost all elite specs were better than the core ones. I can't say if it's still like that for path of fire. Yes that would then entail it is pay 2 win

> >

> > how is that pay 2 win when its normal game progression to buy an expansion? pay2win is if they started selling ascended gear for gems.

>

> How is that not p2win? People with the expansion were at a advantage compared to the ones without.

Because you have to draw a line somewhere. Big expansions every other year has never been considered p2w. They are considered expansions. And in the case of GW2, they are actually marketed like entire new games since they have been superseding the previous version and become the new main game.

Without lines you might as well argue that all games are p2w. Like say BFV. Many people bought and paid for it, they can win matches. I cant. Cause I havent bought it. Hence its p2w. Makes sense?

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"RoRo.8270" said:

> > > > @"RoRo.8270" said:

> > > > > @"Dabrixmgp.4758" said:

> > > > > I have played most of the big name MMOs going back to my Ultima Online days in the late 90s. So why is this literally like the only game where people just dont buy expansions? I have even seen some absurd forum posts accusing the game of being pay2win since most Elite Specs are stronger than their Cores.

> > > >

> > > > When I played heart of thorns almost all elite specs were better than the core ones. I can't say if it's still like that for path of fire. Yes that would then entail it is pay 2 win

> > >

> > > how is that pay 2 win when its normal game progression to buy an expansion? pay2win is if they started selling ascended gear for gems.

> >

> > How is that not p2win? People with the expansion were at a advantage compared to the ones without.

> Because you have to draw a line somewhere. Big expansions every other year has never been considered p2w. They are considered expansions. And in the case of GW2, they are actually marketed like entire new games since they have been superseding the previous version and become the new main game.

>

> Without lines you might as well argue that all games are p2w. Like say BFV. Many people bought and paid for it, they can win matches. I cant. Cause I havent bought it. Hence its p2w. Makes sense?

That bf5 analogy doesn't make any sense. I'm not even sure you read my initial post from the quote which was discussing the advantage elite specs had over core specs for pvp.

A better example for battlefield would be if they had weapons only available to players that purchase premium and these weapons dealt extra damage with no draw backs. That is basically how gw2 expansion was handled compared to the core game for pvp specs

Saying expansions are p2w is pushing it. If Anet sold just elite specs separately, yes, that would be p2w, no doubt. But they don’t sell elite specs; they sell expansions that include many features that improve the game. Sometimes, these features will give purchasers advantages, intended or not. Even if elite specs are no more powerful than core specs, just having more options makes expansion owners more powerful. But companies can’t not add features because players who don’t want to buy expansions may be at a disadvantage.

> @"Dibdabs.3410" said:

> God, I detest it when people trot out the word "literally" when they have no real point in using it other than emphasis. It makes me just ignore the rest of the post.

Careful, not even hinting at the original post gets your post removed and a warning.

I like expansions. Expansions are good.

> @"LaGranse.8652" said:

> > @"Dabrixmgp.4758" said:

> > I have played most of the big name MMOs going back to my Ultima Online days in the late 90s. So why is this literally like the only game where people just dont buy expansions? I have even seen some absurd forum posts accusing the game of being pay2win since most Elite Specs are stronger than their Cores.

>

> There are more people with expansions than you think. The table is from [gw2efficiency.com](https://gw2efficiency.com/ "gw2efficiency.com"), not sure how they gather the information, I think it is from everyone that uses their API key on the website.

>

> ![](https://i.imgur.com/yAMFmZt.png "")

>

One note, gw2efficiency started counting -after- the release of Heart of Thorns so it makes sense that most players from around that time, that created an account on a third party website, would also be owners of the expansion. This doesn't mean that the majority of players that bought the core game also bought the expansion, as it might be indicated from those results. Players DO buy expansions, but you need some valid number to count them against.

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > @"LaGranse.8652" said:

> > > I have played most of the big name MMOs going back to my Ultima Online days in the late 90s. So why is this literally like the only game where people just dont buy expansions? I have even seen some absurd forum posts accusing the game of being pay2win since most Elite Specs are stronger than their Cores.

> >

> > There are more people with expansions than you think. The table is from [gw2efficiency.com](https://gw2efficiency.com/ "gw2efficiency.com"), not sure how they gather the information, I think it is from everyone that uses their API key on the website.

> >

> > ![](https://i.imgur.com/yAMFmZt.png "")

> >

>

> One note, gw2efficiency started counting -after- the release of Heart of Thorns so it makes sense that most players from around that time, that created an account on a third party website, would also be owners of the expansion. This doesn't mean that the majority of players that bought the core game also bought the expansion, as it might be indicated from those results. Players DO buy expansions, but you need some valid number to count them against.

While I'm not a fan of third party websites, the numbers are pretty plain there, **_for what they have_**. It may not be comprehensive, since I'm not registered, and therefore, based on the data, I don't exist, but I own both expansions, but it does show that people do, in fact buy the expansions, and there are, in fact, a large number of players registered there that own one, the other or both.

>! > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

>! > > @"LaGranse.8652" said:

>! > > > @"Dabrixmgp.4758" said:

>! > > > I have played most of the big name MMOs going back to my Ultima Online days in the late 90s. So why is this literally like the only game where people just dont buy expansions? I have even seen some absurd forum posts accusing the game of being pay2win since most Elite Specs are stronger than their Cores.

>! > >

>! > > There are more people with expansions than you think. The table is from [gw2efficiency.com](https://gw2efficiency.com/ "gw2efficiency.com"), not sure how they gather the information, I think it is from everyone that uses their API key on the website.

>! > >

>! > > ![](https://i.imgur.com/yAMFmZt.png "")

>! > >

>! >

>! > One note, gw2efficiency started counting -after- the release of Heart of Thorns so it makes sense that most players from around that time, that created an account on a third party website, would also be owners of the expansion. This doesn't mean that the majority of players that bought the core game also bought the expansion, as it might be indicated from those results. Players DO buy expansions, but you need some valid number to count them against.

I won't claim that I know how GW2efficiency get their data however if someone with only core would create an account on their website and link it with their API-key I would assume they would be added to the statistics for owning core and no DLC. I won't argue that the table is accurate however I don't know of any public source with a larger sample size than this.