free lv 80 is depressing

normans.8963

so i got my free lv 80 maybe 2 week ago. I took my time to lv my crafting but last night i finally got my crafting "Chef" to 400 i followed a guide travel around the map to get some hearth that gave specific ingredient and finally, i finally got to 400 made my exotic backpack realize it was lv 78 therefor it will never be as strong as my free lv 80 free item(He look bad ass though). Crafting backpack are a is a miss opportunity.

Also i realize that my cooking "gift" was use to craft a weapon. I chose to make food because i wanted to make food not because i wanted to make weapon. If i wanted to make weapon i would have chose a weapon crafting profession but i didt .

If I remember correctly the level 78 crafted backpacks actually have higher stats than level 80 exotics, so it should be better than the one you got from the level 80 boost. Although you can't slot level 80 upgrades in them which is a bit limiting.

But this is also introducing you to a very common theme in GW2: there is almost no direct stat progression in this game. Level 80 exotics are very easy to get even without the boost, and the only tier above that is ascended which is only slightly more powerful. Instead progression comes in two forms: firstly finding the best stats for your build - and this is where the crafted backpacks have a big advantage over the boost one because you can choose from any of the core stat combinations so you can find something much more useful for you.

And secondly cosmetic "progression" - finding items which look cool and let you customise how your character looks. No it won't make you more powerful or unlock access to new content but a lot of people like that because it means they're free to focus on what they want to do instead of what Anet has decided they have to do next, and a lot of people have fun with customising their characters.

if you get to level 80 with free account, you can either send funds from your main to there and get maxxed exotics. or if only that's your main account (which is obviously not coz you can post here, heheheh. well this is for the readers), you can farm PvP for chests and gold (finishing the chests will give you like 100+ gold) and get the ascended back piece or if you want, go to wvw and get your participation to 6 for the tickets and get the ascended back piece there.

> @"normans.8963" said:

> Also i realize that my cooking "gift" was use to craft a weapon. I chose to make food because i wanted to make food not because i wanted to make weapon. If i wanted to make weapon i would have chose a weapon crafting profession but i didt .

>

>

You still can cook tho.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> If I remember correctly the level 78 crafted backpacks actually have higher stats than level 80 exotics, so it should be better than the one you got from the level 80 boost. Although you can't slot level 80 upgrades in them which is a bit limiting.

>

> But this is also introducing you to a very common theme in GW2: there is almost no direct stat progression in this game. Level 80 exotics are very easy to get even without the boost, and the only tier above that is ascended which is only slightly more powerful. Instead progression comes in two forms: firstly finding the best stats for your build - and this is where the crafted backpacks have a big advantage over the boost one because you can choose from any of the core stat combinations so you can find something much more useful for you.

>

> And secondly cosmetic "progression" - finding items which look cool and let you customise how your character looks. No it won't make you more powerful or unlock access to new content but a lot of people like that because it means they're free to focus on what they want to do instead of what Anet has decided they have to do next, and a lot of people have fun with customising their characters.

The crafted ones have a total of 8 fewer points. 2 from the major and 3 from the minors. The biggest advantage of the crafted backpack is the presence of an agony infusion slot.

This is probably the cheapest way to add an agony infusion to your character. Even if you include the cost of leveling a chef to 400 it is only around 5g.

A related point. The LW3 maps (at least Ember Bay and Bitterfrost Frontier) have map currency (petrified wood and fresh winterberries respectively) that can be used to purchase ascended back items with selectable stats. IMO, the acquisition time is relatively quick. I used to craft back items...but have since gone to the LW3 maps to get them.

> @"Elothar.4382" said:

> A related point. The LW3 maps (at least Ember Bay and Bitterfrost Frontier) have map currency (petrified wood and fresh winterberries respectively) that can be used to purchase ascended back items with selectable stats. IMO, the acquisition time is relatively quick. I used to craft back items...but have since gone to the LW3 maps to get them.

The only LS3 map without a purchasable backpack is Draconis Mons.

Bloodstone Fen takes longer but you can change the stat on it.

If you compare the crafted backpack to the exotic one you got for free when using the lvl 80 boost, the crafted one is actually (slightly) better once you slot a lvl 60 jewel into it. The crafted backpacks have two advantages over regular exotic back items, the slightly higher total stats (crafted + lvl 60 jewel > other exotics + lvl 80 jewel) and the agony infusion slot.

Ultimately you can also add a few more stats by using an infusion that gives them, but investing in an ascended backpack first (that can only be [crafted](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_back_item#Crafting "crafted") by an armor crafting profession, although many more can be gained through non-crafting ways) might be the more beneficial use of resources if you're fairly new to the game.

• 2 weeks later...