max magic find - keep the salvaged luck?

There is reason to hold on to one stack of blue Essences of Luck, for the Lucky Festival in Jan/Feb. They are used to upgrade the year's Lucky Lantern to the Greater Lucky Lantern skin. Besides that and lower-level Artificer crafting, there is very little reason to keep them as of right now.

Of course, none of us can predict the future...

Just a few days ago I asked in discord if anyone who already had his luck maxed would be willing to join my little private guild and donate luck essences for lanterns and an upgrade, and I got all the luck I needed and didn't have to use my own (which is not maxed). Was very happy about that, maybe you find someone you can make happy with your excessive luck essences too :) There are still many new guilds being created which can benefit.

> @"EthanLightheart.9168" said:

> Or throw it away? Is anet plannning something for maxed players?

The devs have acknowledged that it's an issue. They have no solution; they aren't working on one any time soon.

The original idea was that people would have an opportunity to add MF to their accounts (instead of gear), that it would add some value to blue & green weapons, and that the amounts required were so high, it would be ages before a significant portion of the community had to worry about being max. All of that was true; it's not now, but ... there was no plan B.

There are several issues that prevent this from being easily addressed:

* MF has a profound impact on the value of unID gear _for the community_; boost it any further and it undermines the economy.

* Lots of people have tossed their MF (rather than consuming it), especially before you could right-click to eat all. What would be fair for them?

* Luck was always intended to be an 'extra' for people, not something that new players would have to worry about; if the rewards are substantial, then there's a danger that people would have to worry about consuming versus hoarding... or would feel forced to max out more quickly, so as not to miss out.

As a result, I think the most likely scenario is that...

* ANet will eventually reduce non-salvage sources of luck, e.g. from dailies, festival containers, and achievements.

* They will slightly increase max MF (maybe to 320-325%) and make it incredibly expensive to max... exponentially increasing costs rather than geometric. The idea would be to make it just about impossible for anyone to max MF without intentionally going out of their way to to do so.

I don't think there's much chance of an eater or currency converter, unless the transaction costs are ridiculous.

I have too much and it keeps adding up;130 stacks. It seems no plan was the plan. Perhaps it's just another strategy to drive us to the Gem Store. Please don't offer lame uses that eat very little Luck. FYI I've jumped around Guilds looking for those in need, it uses 2.5 stacks or so - been in many small guilds that wither away.

Not to be that person but,

Have been salvaging pretty much all my gear drops for years and I'm at ~250% mf. Anyone who is capped and has bank tabs full of exotic luck did it to themselves.

I suppose they could always remove the cap and add severe diminishing returns past 300% but there is the issue with how magic find was setup. I think it's said that 1000% mf causes all junk drops to bump up. Since there are people who seem to farm lots of extra luck, even severe diminishing returns might not be enough.

Of course there is always this decoration,

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Red_Lantern_(decoration)

> @"Justine.6351" said:

> Not to be that person but,

> Have been salvaging pretty much all my gear drops for years and I'm at ~250% mf. Anyone who is capped and has bank tabs full of exotic luck did it to themselves.

>

> I suppose they could always remove the cap and add severe diminishing returns past 300% but there is the issue with how magic find was setup. I think it's said that 1000% mf causes all junk drops to bump up. Since there are people who seem to farm lots of extra luck, even severe diminishing returns might not be enough.

>

> Of course there is always this decoration,

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Red_Lantern_(decoration)

You can find this exact comment under every thread like this since over 3 years now.

Somehow people stay at 250% for quite some time now huh?

And sure, everyone who has 300% since HoT is some kind of masochist.

> @"Justine.6351" said:

> Not to be that person but,

> Have been salvaging pretty much all my gear drops for years and I'm at ~250% mf. Anyone who is capped and has bank tabs full of exotic luck did it to themselves.

>

> I suppose they could always remove the cap and add severe diminishing returns past 300% but there is the issue with how magic find was setup. I think it's said that 1000% mf causes all junk drops to bump up. Since there are people who seem to farm lots of extra luck, even severe diminishing returns might not be enough.

>

> Of course there is always this decoration,

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Red_Lantern_(decoration)

Did it to myself? I suppose I did, but it was not something I set out to do - it was a by-product of my gold making method:

* buy stuff from the TP in bulk, salvage it and sell the materials for a lot of profit (less than an hour of lazy effort whenever I feel like it or if I need to get some more gold for something)

* I maxed it within the first couple of years of playing since launch by accident.

* 5+ alts with all bags filled with full stacks of exotic luck (stored just in case it has a use some day)

I have always made enough gold from this to support paying for anything I have ever needed or wanted for my 30+ characters. I could trash the luck, but I have plenty of mule characters to store it on so I have it if some new use for it is offered in the future. If they never do, oh well - the cost of getting more character slots is not an issue due to the gold I make from my TP activities.

---

If anyone wants any of my luck for anything, just send me a mail in-game and let me know how I can be of use. My luck is always free to any and all who may ever have a need for my many stacks (unless they do implement a new use for it and I consume it all).

> @"DanAlcedo.3281" said:

> > @"Justine.6351" said:

> > Not to be that person but,

> > Have been salvaging pretty much all my gear drops for years and I'm at ~250% mf. Anyone who is capped and has bank tabs full of exotic luck did it to themselves.

> >

> > I suppose they could always remove the cap and add severe diminishing returns past 300% but there is the issue with how magic find was setup. I think it's said that 1000% mf causes all junk drops to bump up. Since there are people who seem to farm lots of extra luck, even severe diminishing returns might not be enough.

> >

> > Of course there is always this decoration,

> > https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Red_Lantern_(decoration)

>

> You can find this exact comment under every thread like this since over 3 years now.

>

> Somehow people stay at 250% for quite some time now huh?

>

>

Don't think I have been saying 250% for the past 3 years.

And realize that the first 200% mf is 1/3 the required luck that 300% requires. So yeah I can imagine quite a few people are between 200-300% mf. The only people I can imagine that have been at 300% mf for years are the ones who spam salvaged ectos and/or did every bag train farm since silverwastes.

> @"Justine.6351" said:

> Anyone who is capped and has bank tabs full of exotic luck did it to themselves.

Of course they did it to themselves; there's no other way to get lots of luck essence except through one's own actions.

But there are lots and lots of ways to have it happen without going out of one's way, including:

* Opening lots of festival bags, that drop luck as a reward.

* Many achievements offer luck as a reward

* Significantly, people who open unID gear (blue or masterwork) in bulk will end up with excess essences.

> @"DanAlcedo.3281" wrote:

> Somehow people stay at 250% for quite some time now huh?

Sure, plenty of people who "just play the game" will find themselves below 300% still.

Both these things are true and yet have little relevance to the issue, which is that ANet made a mistake (which they admit) to only have a Plan A for essence of luck and hadn't given enough thought to what happens after. (Mostly because they thought it would take most people years and years and years, instead of the first group maxing it within the month and the first major cohort maxing within 6 months to a year.)

The thing is... they really don't have to do anything. This is not an actual issue except that people are choosing to hoard something that has no value. That part is our choice, not necessarily ANet's responsibility.

> @"Justine.6351" said:

> > @"DanAlcedo.3281" said:

> > > @"Justine.6351" said:

> > > Not to be that person but,

> > > Have been salvaging pretty much all my gear drops for years and I'm at ~250% mf. Anyone who is capped and has bank tabs full of exotic luck did it to themselves.

> > >

> > > I suppose they could always remove the cap and add severe diminishing returns past 300% but there is the issue with how magic find was setup. I think it's said that 1000% mf causes all junk drops to bump up. Since there are people who seem to farm lots of extra luck, even severe diminishing returns might not be enough.

> > >

> > > Of course there is always this decoration,

> > > https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Red_Lantern_(decoration)

> >

> > You can find this exact comment under every thread like this since over 3 years now.

> >

> > Somehow people stay at 250% for quite some time now huh?

> >

> >

>

> Don't think I have been saying 250% for the past 3 years.

> And realize that the first 200% mf is 1/3 the required luck that 300% requires. So yeah I can imagine quite a few people are between 200-300% mf. The only people I can imagine that have been at 300% mf for years are the ones who spam salvaged ectos and/or did every bag train farm since silverwastes.

Its always wierd when people tell me „ohh you must have farmed like crazy or salvaged ectos for having max mf“.

The last time i farmed was Pre Hot silverwaste and i play almost exclusively the least rewarding Gamemode WvW.

Still got Max Mf like 7-8 month after HoT launch.

I simply don’t understand how people like you can not have max yet.

Anet spams us with luck.

For what it's worth, I think ANet has an easy middle ground option: create bigger essences that can be crafted by artificers. Right now the max we can produce is a mere 200. The legendary versions are only 500.

ANet could create fine, mw, rare, exotic, ascended, & legendary globs of luck with sizes of 1000 to 50k. It would postpone indefinitely any player-made hoarding issue, giving ANet as long as they like to address whether they should or shouldn't find other uses for excess luck. (or change the system)

Did it to myself? I guess I should apology for playing the game incorrectly. Not. Another way to consider it, anyone who doesn't have max MF is a loser who doesn't understand the game. Fact is both those views are wrong. Everyone will play the game in all manner of ways. There is no right way to play the game. Anet knows that, I'm sure they've tracked the percentage of players approaching and reaching max MF. I did think I'd see a solution for superfluous essences by now, but hey I was wrong.

I had a blast maxing MF I worked at it regularly and reached max sometime after LS1. I remember that because during LS1 a few masterwork weapons were introduced that salvaged to ori ore (back when it was worth something). I maxed MF and found that I had made gold doing it and have continued to buy and salvage as a source of ingame income - at a much slower pace. I have no regrets, Anet may never decide to find a secondary use and while I find that a clunky design issue it doesn't keep me from playing the game and having fun.