Wintersday Jumping Puzzle Tips

Danikat.8537

I've noticed some people talking about how hard the Wintersday jumping puzzle is, so I thought it might be helpful to share some of the things which helped me do it eventually.

1) Last year they changed the first section to add 'easy' and hard paths - you start in the middle, on the Snowman path and you can go right to the Quaggan path which is easier because the platforms don't disappear, or left to the Gingerbread Man path which is harder because they disappear faster. The only difference in rewards is that the easy path gives 5 gifts at the end, the medium one gives 10 and the hard one gives 15, the karma is the same and they all count for the achievements so it's well worth taking the easy path if you have trouble.

2) It sounds contradictory but **Don't Rush**! Yes the puzzle is timed, but there's plenty of time to get to the end and if you rush you'll panic or take risks and end up falling. If possible don't look at your health bar (someone I know stuck a piece of paper over it). Although you can't take all the time you might want there is space for some delays - so if you're not sure you're going to make a jump it's worth taking a few seconds to adjust your positioning before you attempt it.

3) I recommend using the Action Camera because it's one less thing you need to worry about. With it on you can turn just by moving the mouse and then when you push W (or whichever key is forward) or hold down both mouse buttons your character will move in whichever direction the camera is pointing, turning instantly and on the spot if they need to.

The first half is a matter of practice - learning the route and how to make each jump. Even the smallest snowflakes are big enough that you can take a run up to reach the next one, and you can actually stand slightly beyond the edge before falling, so it's worth taking a run up to make each jump (in fact you'll need to on the bigger snowflakes). Once you reach the end of the peppermint platforms you get a buff which stops your health going down so you get a bit of a break.

The second half is the same for all 3 paths, but there's less actual jumping and the challenges are actually predictable so again it's a matter of practice. The 'present stairs' are challenging but there's a trick to it: there's a straight line up the middle which are always the last to disappear, so if you go that way you'll be safe:

![](https://i.imgur.com/gqIJBgJh.jpg "")

At the top you need to run across the top and dodge onto another candy platform, run down a candy cane **and then stop** because otherwise you'll get hit with a giant snowball. Once it's gone past run along and jump onto this candy platform, then wait for another snowball to pass:

![](https://i.imgur.com/GHb9gWEh.jpg "")

Then run to this platform, and wait for a 3rd snowball to pass:

![](https://i.imgur.com/DR69h2Yh.jpg "")

Then you want to head to this platform. You'll see some people running for the one crossed out in the picture, and it might be tempting to follow, especially as this is the point where you're most likely to be worrying about running out of health, but you're highly likely to be hit by a snowball if you do that so IMO it's not worth the risk. Wait for that snowball to pass and then carry on.

![](https://i.imgur.com/t3bbMjAh.jpg "")

The final trick is a second set of present stairs. It looks like you've got loads of options for how to go up but that's the trick. Most of the presents have no collision and you'll fall straight through. Instead you need to stick to the blue presents and candy canes in the middle. The second trick is thinking once you've gotten to this point you're nearly done and it's easy, there are a few tricky jumps in there and trust me, there is no more infuriating place to fall:

![](https://i.imgur.com/gp4pPD5h.jpg "")

• ArenaNet Staff

I appreciate this post *soooo* much. I hate to confess it in a public setting, so I'll just say between you and me ;) that I failed last year even on the Quaggan path. :anguished: I'm going to give this another read and try out these tips for sure.

If anyone else has ideas to share on the subject of surmounting that kitten-kitteny-kittenish kitten of a JP, please let's hear from you! (Yes, I wrote kitten there. :innocent: )

I write this every year: **What helped me most when I started out on this JP was to deactivate the in-game sound and turn on some calming music instead.**

Nothing makes you more panicky than hearing the ice crack and other players' jump sounds etc. It increases the stress that you experience when you are still learning.

> @"Shagaliscious.6281" said:

> If you are good at it, using jump+dodge when jumping to the presents gives you a bit more distance (to be specific, the presents at the first rest stop), allowing you to land directly on the white/red presents, skipping the blue ones. I can make it up the presents quite a bit faster than most.

I've never been able to get the hang of jump dodging. I know how it's supposed to work, but it never happens for me.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> I write this every year: **What helped me most when I started out on this JP was to deactivate the in-game sound and turn on some calming music instead.**

>

No, for me it's Boogie Wonderland! That really gets me into this JP. Just put it on loop and off you go!

> @"jamesg.7128" said:

> > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > I write this every year: **What helped me most when I started out on this JP was to deactivate the in-game sound and turn on some calming music instead.**

> >

> No, for me it's Boogie Wonderland! That really gets me into this JP.

My main point was the disabling of environmental and effects sounds. The music is fine. ;)

I have almost nothing to suggest to finish that Jumping parkour, it's way far easier than Dement clocktower JP even when you use gingerbread path. (extreme)

But here is what I can recommend globally: Don't lose many time during the first part with snowflakes platforms to avoid dying from hypothermia.

Then take your time after the campfire. Wait for presents to spawn, and run at the middle, you have enough time to do it, just beware of the present just before the last one.

At the final part take your time too, don't speedrun, use every candy circle platform and avoid touching the giant snowball/skritt projectiles. At the final line of presents, jump from them to candy canes taking your time, pretty easy. The end.

Pro-tip from someone who finished so many-time extreme path: Keep your right hand on your mouse to keep the camera behind you, with your left hand: use all your fingers apart the little one for arrows keys, use little finger on space-bar to jump. You can also keep the left button of your mouse pressed if you prefer to move that way and having all your left hand free. For ginger bread: Lose 0 seconds on the first part, do as fast as possible. Faster than sonic.

Tips:

1. Breathe. No seriously, control your breathing irl to stay unstressed and focused.

2. Feet flat on the floor. This will help relax you as well.

3. Bind a small key to jump, don't use spacebar. It's a big floppy key and you need precise, quick taps.

4. Run out waaay farther than you think you need to on the first present jump, or you'll fall short.

5. Learn to move forward by holding down the mouse buttons. It's much faster to release and stop your forward movement; you'll have better control.

6. Literally everything Danikat said.

Folks need to stop trying to be fancy. I would see so many people trying to do wide jumps/jump dodging just to fall off. See people trying to squeeze by the snowball when it was already coming, or jump too early thinking they could squeeze by as it was rolling past, just to get hit. #2 is too true. Folks gotta stop trying to keep up with everyone else. Jump on that extra snowflake instead of trying to bypass it. Pause and think about if your going to make it before the snowball hits you. There is a timer but you don't need to try and NASCAR it.

Also I was confused why I saw people zig-zagging up the presents, when everyone else was going straight up.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> I've never been able to get the hang of jump dodging. I know how it's supposed to work, but it never happens for me.

I suspect it may be a lag thing. It's never worked for me either (although because of the location I jump from, I don't need it to land past the first row of presents).

It might be possible to pull off using a macro, but that might also be against the ToS.

> @"DiabolicalHamSandwich.8756" said:

> Folks need to stop trying to be fancy. I would see so many people trying to do wide jumps/jump dodging just to fall off. See people trying to squeeze by the snowball when it was already coming, or jump too early thinking they could squeeze by as it was rolling past, just to get hit. #2 is too true. Folks gotta stop trying to keep up with everyone else. Jump on that extra snowflake instead of trying to bypass it. Pause and think about if your going to make it before the snowball hits you. There is a timer but you don't need to try and NASCAR it.

>

> Also I was confused why I saw people zig-zagging up the presents, when everyone else was going straight up.

I agree with this if you are having trouble completing the JP. The reason you see this is that once you master the JP, you try to find new/faster ways of doing it to keep it fresh.

I actually find Quaggan path harder than snowman.

The snowflakes don't disappear but your health still drops requiring a speed thats not much slower than Snowman. the path is longer which means more jumps, and more chances to go wrong.

So stick with Snowman.

Only worry about getting the next jump right. Take your time, fail, you will get faster.

Use Ctrl+H(or whatever your keybind is) to hide health/skill bar/map etc. You don't need all that visual clutter and the jumping puzzle is pretty to look at.

If your're still struggling. Try using a controller. Jumping/direction is much easier (for me) with joystick controls, so its well worth setting it up...even if all you set it up for is movement/jump/camera.

No matter what you do 99% of the players will never beat this jp. Its just like the clock tower. IT SHOULD have been solo instanced but instead you are thrown into servers that have 2k+ ping and there's nothing you can do. Sense the start of gw2ms its been a massive failure in this regard and people just ignore it. Sense log in i have been placed in EU servers when im a NA player care to explain this? They claim its for "population control" but in reality like most games EU is Favored its bs but thats what the world has come to.

The jp needs to be solo instanced or remove it from the achievements entirely. Sadly they wont

> @"Larenc.1269" said:

> No matter what you do 99% of the players will never beat this jp. Its just like the clock tower.

99%?

I don't think ping is an issue for the majority of players.

You can't be "placed" in EU servers unless you chose EU region at the very beginning. If so, I'm sure Devs can help you switch region.

This JP does not need to be solo, it would be sad if it became so and wouldn't help with your ping anyway).

> @"Taygus.4571" said:

> > @"Larenc.1269" said:

> > No matter what you do 99% of the players will never beat this jp. Its just like the clock tower.

>

> 99%?

> I don't think ping is an issue for the majority of players.

>

>

> You can't be "placed" in EU servers unless you chose EU region at the very beginning. If so, I'm sure Devs can help you switch region.

>

> This JP does not need to be solo, it would be sad if it became so and wouldn't help with your ping anyway).

Funny All i see in chat is people complaining about this jp Also you have no clue about ping so don't bring it up again. Also due to mega servers you can and will be mixed with eu players. Its not in debate when you can track the locations of the servers/ relays.

Have you not seen the spam in chat? everyone is ticked except the select few lucky ones who meet all the correct requirements. Good computer [x] good internet [x] correct server [?]

> @"Larenc.1269" said:

> > @"Taygus.4571" said:

> > > @"Larenc.1269" said:

> > > No matter what you do 99% of the players will never beat this jp. Its just like the clock tower.

> >

> > 99%?

> > I don't think ping is an issue for the majority of players.

> >

> >

> > You can't be "placed" in EU servers unless you chose EU region at the very beginning. If so, I'm sure Devs can help you switch region.

> >

> > This JP does not need to be solo, it would be sad if it became so and wouldn't help with your ping anyway).

>

> Funny All i see in chat is people complaining about this jp Also you have no clue about ping so don't bring it up again. Also due to mega servers you can and will be mixed with eu players. Its not in debate when you can track the locations of the servers/ relays.

>

> Have you not seen the spam in chat? everyone is ticked except the select few lucky ones who meet all the correct requirements. Good computer [x] good internet [x] correct server [?]

No need to be rude. I understand you're frustrated.

but

Megaservers do not combine regions, only servers within the region. So no NA can not mix or play with EU, so you're not being thrown into EU servers.

And no, Ive not seen anyone complain about this JP.

And yes, a good computer and good internet connection will help. But that's not Anets problem to solve.

I did the JP for the first time a few years ago because I wanted the Winter's Presence shoulders so very much! I was terrible at all but the simplest of jumping puzzles, so this one was particularly daunting (though not nearly as daunting as the Clocktower, which I still cannot do). Anyway, here are my tips based on my experience.

Use whatever configuration of keyboard, mouse, hands, fingers, etc. works best for you. I'm sure the suggestions in the thread are good ones, so if one of them sounds good to you, go for it. Otherwise, stay with what you know.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

But, take a break if you get really frustrated. You'll make more mistakes the more frustrated you become.

Take some time to stand on the platform and watch how others jump, particularly those that seem to know how to do it. When you're ready, give it a try and see if that works for you.

It's okay to take a breather on the second platform where you regain your health (right before the presents) if you need it.

Once you've jumped up the presents (as described by others) dodge across the first peppermint platform to the peppermint stick. The snowman on the right occasionally blows gusts of wind that can knock you off the platform.

Don't take unnecessary risks. For example, if other players run to the peppermint disc across from the peppermint stick, you can stay put until the snowball passes if you aren't comfortable running across. Once the snowball passes you can run to your right and on to the next peppermint disc.

Be patient with yourself. It will pay off in the long run.

Remember how I said I was terrible at jumping puzzles? Well, learning to do this one gave me confidence so that I can now do most of the jp's in the game!

> @"Taygus.4571" said:

> I actually find Quaggan path harder than snowman.

>

> The snowflakes don't disappear but your health still drops requiring a speed thats not much slower than Snowman. the path is longer which means more jumps, and more chances to go wrong.

>

> So stick with Snowman.

> Only worry about getting the next jump right. Take your time, fail, you will get faster.

Interesting idea. I'll give it a try. Honestly, tho, disappearing snowflakes tends to panic me and I find it hard to pay attention to the things that matter.

> If your're still struggling. Try using a controller. Jumping/direction is much easier (for me) with joystick controls, so its well worth setting it up...even if all you set it up for is movement/jump/camera.

I know some people that use action camera _only for this JP_ and that seems to help them.

So I'd rephrase the advice as: try all sort of things to make your controls do your bidding, rather than leave you at their mercy. Left-hand keypad, controller, trackball mouse, action camera, remapping keys... try it all, use whatever works for you.

Thanks for this so much! I still haven't beaten it but I got to the final clutch of gifts after just a few tries, just slipped off the candy cane and decided to wait 'til it's my first activity of the day and I'm fresh. I had no idea there was a lane that didn't have vanishing platforms. Without that immediate time pressure I can do so much better. As a note my best ever before was getting to the rolling snowballs. So your guide is amazing.

I've linked this to friends too :D

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> Interesting idea. I'll give it a try. Honestly, tho, disappearing snowflakes tends to panic me and I find it hard to pay attention to the things that matter.

Yeah, I sometimes panic too. The best thing here is to not worry about falling. But to allow yourself to fail.

Just make sure to get the jump angle right. Once you know the angle, you can practice it and you will get faster. There is plenty of time.

I've never been able to finish this jumping puzzle before. I read this guide, decided to give it a go, and finished it for the very first time ever last night.

Then I went and did it again, another 14 times that night.

Thank you for this. Not just for the detailed advice, but for the message it sent. I believed for a long time that this was too hard for my old man gaming skills. It turns out it was only too hard because I believed it was. Once I decided that it was actually easy, it turned out that it was. If I hadn't read this, I probably would have left it for another year.

Thanks again.

> @"Ben K.6238" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > I've never been able to get the hang of jump dodging. I know how it's supposed to work, but it never happens for me.

> I suspect it may be a lag thing. It's never worked for me either

And it is 100% **not** required. I do the hard difficulty track daily, sometimes several times in a row, and I never jump-dodge. I don't know why this technique is even recommended when it does nothing to help you speed up your pace. Just don't release the Forward and the Jump keys until you have landed safely on your next target area - as simple as that.

There is one part in all three paths which can be a little tricky. If you do not know how to manage it, this can be a little time consuming or cause you to fall. I am talking about the candy-cane beams.

![](https://i.imgur.com/7XZLpBa.jpg "")

As you can see, the easy Quaggan path has even two of these sections. The jumps are very narrow compared to the rest of the Jumping Puzzle and the height difference can also be a problem. However this is not the first time we face that sort of platform in a Jumping Puzzle. Here are two more examples, where we have to deal this this problem:

![](https://i.imgur.com/iRmG7lI.jpg "")

The most common issue with those platforms/beams is that players tend to overstep/overleap them and fall. That is because the beams themselves are not very wide, so if you jump in a vertical line, the landing-space has barely the size of your green circle - which is not much of a help. I know of two easy tricks to solve that problem:

**a.) Diagonal Jumps**

![](https://i.imgur.com/uzTyoFZ.jpg "")

As you can see in the picture, the red method is how you usually approach jumps with regular platforms. You can see how tiny the landing-space is, especially compared to the distance between the beams. The blue method shows how diagonal jumps work and how much larger your landing-space will be. If the beam is long enough, you can even use a more shallow angle. However there is one drawback of this method, it consumes some time. Even if you do the Gingerbread path, it will not be enough to get you into real trouble but it can waste you a second or two. So if you want to do it without losing time, you can also use ...

**b.) Hopping Jumps**

![](https://i.imgur.com/ion8woi.jpg "")

As you can see in the picture, the red method is how you usually approach jumps with regular platforms. Aiming with this method looks good when you see someone doing it, but feels very insecure when you have to do it yourselves. If you have ever done Coddler's Cove, you know that problem very well. Once again the blue method shows how Hopping Jumps work. You just press jump and start moving when you have reached the highest point. The method allows very narrow and precise jumps, works excellent when your camera is 100 % vertical (= birds-view). It may be time consuming at first, until you know how it works. But once you know it, you are a lot faster.

Hint: Feel free to train difficult jumps outside of the Jumping Puzzle with any stairs or other platforms you find. Once you know how to do a certain jump correctly, it is a lot easier. Learning a move with the time-pressure is quite stressful and leads to a lot of frustration.

Good luck!

PS: Awesome Guide @"Danikat.8537"