Toypocalypse Is Too Long

> @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > It does feel excruciatingly slow. The strange thing is that I have participated in it since the first year and it is only starting this year that it feels that way. Did they make some changes to it?

>

> This probably has a lot to do with mounts as well as everything else others have said.. We've gotten very used to running around the world on mounts or with constant speed buffs that it feels very strange and very slow when we are limited to our default running speed XD

>

> Map size and wave frequency too are also drawing this game mode out a lot longer than it needs to be.

> Not much they can do about the map though.. but giving us a faster default speed (25%) would make the map feel smaller and better allow us to get around and kill waves faster.

> As for the waves.. they should speed up every round imo, first round remaining the same to give us time to set up our toys but from the second round onwards the waves get bigger per round and spawn quicker forcing us to play some solid but not too overly difficult defense by the time round 5-10 come in.

>

> We can then use the Toxx phase and a small rest period after it to repair, upgrade and replace the toys most in need of it.

>

> Should Anet decide to upgrade this event for next year I'd also like to see the weapons get a bit of an overhaul.

> Smasher and Popgun are mostly fine but the Repair Pistol is total garbage lol

> I wouldn't mind seeing that get an upgrade and actually being able to repair damaged siege toys..

> They should also add in the Princess Wand which has the ability to heal players and snowmen..

> The Toy Staff which can lay traps/marks and do an AoE chill

> And maybe the Toy Dagger too which deals low damage and adds a small amount of conditions (Bleed, Weakness and maybe Torment) and gives you a few evade attacks.

> They should be spred out more evenly so there is more weapon diversity but overall less of the same weapons so it would give everyone more of a role option rather than everyone just taking the same weapon.

>

> I think that would be enough to significantly improve this event for next year.

I am not sure if movement speed has anything to do with it since a lot of it is just waiting. Too many people not helping with building the sieges and going around attacking with the toy weapons seems like a more likely culprit. You can also see who on your team is doing this ... this part can be put in the bad design category. The person on your team with the highest score is most likely the worst as far as the mode is concerned.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> I am not sure if movement speed has anything to do with it since a lot of it is just waiting.

It's pretty much just during round 1 and sometimes r2 that movement speed matters.

> Too many people not helping with building the sieges and going around attacking with the toy weapons seems like a more likely culprit.

Yes. Or siege placement (as discussed earlier in the thread).

This might actually be a bug fix but the siege attacks' range/behavior seems a bit less absurd than previous years but that also makes them less powerful. I remember seeing what looks like an avalanche of snowballs going through the air but I haven't seen that this year although that could be due to a lack of siege or improper placement as well.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> This might actually be a bug fix but the siege attacks' range/behavior seems a bit less absurd than previous years but that also makes them less powerful. I remember seeing what looks like an avalanche of snowballs going through the air but I haven't seen that this year although that could be due to a lack of siege or improper placement as well.

We had some nice siege placement in a couple of our runs this year, that resulted in said lovely avalanche of snowballs. One of the deployments of foes died before they could attack or move. And when Toxx appeared, nothing much happened (as usual, for most instances) until we kited him close to the siege. He went from 90% health to 20% health right after we stunned him, from the same avalanche.

I'd have to actually keep track of the time to know how much of a difference siege placement makes in the run, but i can tell you that particular set of wave+Toxx was really quick.

That doesn't mean that ANet didn't adjust something; I honestly don't remember how long Toypacalypse lasted in previous years. I do know that this year, I'm a lot less patient; in past years, I'd two-person it with a friend and invite leechers. 50 gifts per session is ok; 100 per session is pretty good.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > It does feel excruciatingly slow. The strange thing is that I have participated in it since the first year and it is only starting this year that it feels that way. Did they make some changes to it?

> >

> > Nah, it has always been that way. Probably even in the first year it was introduced, but it was still fresh then so it was harder to notice.

>

> The first year people found it a lot harder. The achievement required all 5 dolyaks to survive and it was changed to just 1 [...]

>

Thanks ! That's why it feel so easy now. And maybe why it seems slow too. We are never rushed.. No pressure. Nothing.

Just lazyness and roaming random.

> @"MornJack.3579" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > > It does feel excruciatingly slow. The strange thing is that I have participated in it since the first year and it is only starting this year that it feels that way. Did they make some changes to it?

> > >

> > > Nah, it has always been that way. Probably even in the first year it was introduced, but it was still fresh then so it was harder to notice.

> >

> > The first year people found it a lot harder. The achievement required all 5 dolyaks to survive and it was changed to just 1 [...]

> >

>

> Thanks ! That's why it feel so easy now. And maybe why it seems slow too. We are never rushed.. No pressure. Nothing.

> Just lazyness and roaming random.

>

>

There wasn't much difficulty in the first year either once people figured out what to build. The most difficult part was convincing your teammates. Some things never change ...

> @"MornJack.3579" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > > It does feel excruciatingly slow. The strange thing is that I have participated in it since the first year and it is only starting this year that it feels that way. Did they make some changes to it?

> > >

> > > Nah, it has always been that way. Probably even in the first year it was introduced, but it was still fresh then so it was harder to notice.

> >

> > The first year people found it a lot harder. The achievement required all 5 dolyaks to survive and it was changed to just 1 [...]

> >

>

> Thanks ! That's why it feel so easy now. And maybe why it seems slow too. We are never rushed.. No pressure. Nothing.

> Just lazyness and roaming random.

There's no practical difference. Nowadays you're losing dolyaks only if you're a bit too slow at the first wave. Once you survive the first toy group, the next ones will never get far enough for dolyaks to be endangered.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > It does feel excruciatingly slow. The strange thing is that I have participated in it since the first year and it is only starting this year that it feels that way. Did they make some changes to it?

> >

> > Nah, it has always been that way. Probably even in the first year it was introduced, but it was still fresh then so it was harder to notice.

>

> The first year people found it a lot harder. The achievement required all 5 dolyaks to survive and it was changed to just 1 because it was so hard to keep them all alive through the first few rounds, so your options were pretty much entering a map where some had already died or entering first and being blamed when everyone else came in and they were dead.

>

> I don't know if there were any changes made to address that or if players just got better at it but that definitely seems to have changed. The only time I've entered a map where a dolyak was dead the first two people in hadn't read the instructions and were trying to fight all the toys themselves.

>

> I think it would be nice if they could either make it shorter or do something to make the later rounds more exciting.

I think they may have fixed issues with loading into the game. Back then it was common to load into the game at any moment and so it was entirely possible to little to no assistance at the beginning leaving the dolyaks vulnerable for far too long. That's not a thing anymore.