[Bug] Relink Issues

noncha.2761

> @"Tinnel.4369" said:

> > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > Dear GW2 Community,

> >

> > **The whining, dev finger pointing and bashing of Gaile** has been completely unnecessary. Learn to control yourselves and emotions, and stop being so overly critical that another human made a mistake somewhere. Some of you are behaving as if the world will end, but guess what? It’s not...

> >

> > **The only error looks to be in the forum post, nothing more**. And it’s wrong to be immature and jerkish to the Gaile, who is the community representative trying to help, who is not a developer and doesn’t have control over game functions... I reported the 4 threads, now 5, that were QQing about match ups (as per usual every relink) and all she had been is helpful. She could have just locked the threads and dismissed all the whining, but she didn’t... She actually took the time to investigate and clarify.

> >

> > If any of you were to ever wonder why the devs have such strict rules on communication with the players, we need not look any further than this thread. Some of you take the game so seriously that it impairs your rational thinking and ability to type out mature responses... **so I’d take a step back and maybe apologize for being overly dramatic and unreasonable to Gaile and the devs.**

> >

> > Final words.. **Mistakes happen all the time, and each of you posting are not some beings of perfection, so do some self reflection this holiday on how some of you treat others, on the outside world and online**...

> >

> > Good luck!

>

> You are confused and/or misinformed.

>

> What would you like them to be apologized to for?

>

> Your own post here clearly details the problem. We, the community, are troubleshooting ANets game through the community representative on the forum for them. And in doing so are being scolded by said representative for being 'unhelpful'. It's neither our job, nor Gaile's job, but because whoever's job it is dropped the ball this is where we're at. No one was going to do anything (and may well still not) if the community didn't speak up. The community taking liberties with sarcasm and jabs at ANets expense when they clearly fumbled is hardly anything that should be apologized for.

>

> Mistakes do happen all the time, I don't think anyone here expressed that they expected to be exempt from any responsibility for such mistakes. Could people display some manners and professionalism? Sure. Does that include ANet? Yup.

You are correct that mistakes happen all the time.

The interesting part here is the Dev who posted the links was the one who, according to the API, got it wrong.

It would appear that the Links as they happened, were correct.

The API is showing what was intended, not the Dev post.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > @"Tinnel.4369" said:

> > > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > Dear GW2 Community,

> > >

> > > **The whining, dev finger pointing and bashing of Gaile** has been completely unnecessary. Learn to control yourselves and emotions, and stop being so overly critical that another human made a mistake somewhere. Some of you are behaving as if the world will end, but guess what? It’s not...

> > >

> > > **The only error looks to be in the forum post, nothing more**. And it’s wrong to be immature and jerkish to the Gaile, who is the community representative trying to help, who is not a developer and doesn’t have control over game functions... I reported the 4 threads, now 5, that were QQing about match ups (as per usual every relink) and all she had been is helpful. She could have just locked the threads and dismissed all the whining, but she didn’t... She actually took the time to investigate and clarify.

> > >

> > > If any of you were to ever wonder why the devs have such strict rules on communication with the players, we need not look any further than this thread. Some of you take the game so seriously that it impairs your rational thinking and ability to type out mature responses... **so I’d take a step back and maybe apologize for being overly dramatic and unreasonable to Gaile and the devs.**

> > >

> > > Final words.. **Mistakes happen all the time, and each of you posting are not some beings of perfection, so do some self reflection this holiday on how some of you treat others, on the outside world and online**...

> > >

> > > Good luck!

> >

> > You are confused and/or misinformed.

> >

> > What would you like them to be apologized to for?

> >

> > Your own post here clearly details the problem. We, the community, are troubleshooting ANets game through the community representative on the forum for them. And in doing so are being scolded by said representative for being 'unhelpful'. It's neither our job, nor Gaile's job, but because whoever's job it is dropped the ball this is where we're at. No one was going to do anything (and may well still not) if the community didn't speak up. The community taking liberties with sarcasm and jabs at ANets expense when they clearly fumbled is hardly anything that should be apologized for.

> >

> > Mistakes do happen all the time, I don't think anyone here expressed that they expected to be exempt from any responsibility for such mistakes. Could people display some manners and professionalism? Sure. Does that include ANet? Yup.

>

> You are correct that mistakes happen all the time.

>

> The interesting part here is the Dev who posted the links was the one who, according to the API, got it wrong.

>

> It would appear that the Links as they happened, were correct.

>

> The API is showing what was intended, not the Dev post.

If the links are right there's a whole other issue at hand.

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> Dear GW2 Community,

>

> The whining, dev finger pointing and bashing of Gaile has been completely unnecessary. Learn to control yourselves and emotions, and stop being so overly critical that another human made a mistake somewhere. Some of you are behaving as if the world will end, but guess what? It’s not...

>

> The only error looks to be in the forum post, nothing more. And it’s wrong to be immature and jerkish to the Gaile, who is the community representative trying to help, who is not a developer and doesn’t have control over game functions... I reported the 4 threads, now 5, that were QQing about match ups (as per usual every relink) and all she had been is helpful. She could have just locked the threads and dismissed all the whining, but she didn’t... She actually took the time to investigate and clarify.

>

> If any of you were to ever wonder why the devs have such strict rules on communication with the players, we need not look any further than this thread. Some of you take the game so seriously that it impairs your rational thinking and ability to type out mature responses... so I’d take a step back and maybe apologize for being overly dramatic and unreasonable to Gaile and the devs.

>

> Final words.. Mistakes happen all the time, and each of you posting are not some beings of perfection, so do some self reflection this holiday on how some of you treat others, on the outside world and online...

>

> Good luck!

This is the thing though. We don't HAVE to act a certain way. We don't HAVE to be polite and friendly. We are the customers, and we expect things to work right. Little things here and there? Sure those can slide, but this isn't a little thing. "Oops, forgot to bring the milk in last night." is a small thing that people can overlook. "Wow, my Friday night, and perhaps the entire next 2 months of my WvW are jacked up." is not.

Perhaps if there is no monetary exchange between players and company then yeah overlook this all day. There is though. Many WvW players purchased game, expansions, and maybe even gems expecting a company to make sure they get things right before shutting down for a week. At least one guild server transferred last night due to the fiasco. That's a significant chunk of change.

> @"Tinnel.4369" said:

> > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > @"Tinnel.4369" said:

> > > > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > > Dear GW2 Community,

> > > >

> > > > **The whining, dev finger pointing and bashing of Gaile** has been completely unnecessary. Learn to control yourselves and emotions, and stop being so overly critical that another human made a mistake somewhere. Some of you are behaving as if the world will end, but guess what? It’s not...

> > > >

> > > > **The only error looks to be in the forum post, nothing more**. And it’s wrong to be immature and jerkish to the Gaile, who is the community representative trying to help, who is not a developer and doesn’t have control over game functions... I reported the 4 threads, now 5, that were QQing about match ups (as per usual every relink) and all she had been is helpful. She could have just locked the threads and dismissed all the whining, but she didn’t... She actually took the time to investigate and clarify.

> > > >

> > > > If any of you were to ever wonder why the devs have such strict rules on communication with the players, we need not look any further than this thread. Some of you take the game so seriously that it impairs your rational thinking and ability to type out mature responses... **so I’d take a step back and maybe apologize for being overly dramatic and unreasonable to Gaile and the devs.**

> > > >

> > > > Final words.. **Mistakes happen all the time, and each of you posting are not some beings of perfection, so do some self reflection this holiday on how some of you treat others, on the outside world and online**...

> > > >

> > > > Good luck!

> > >

> > > You are confused and/or misinformed.

> > >

> > > What would you like them to be apologized to for?

> > >

> > > Your own post here clearly details the problem. We, the community, are troubleshooting ANets game through the community representative on the forum for them. And in doing so are being scolded by said representative for being 'unhelpful'. It's neither our job, nor Gaile's job, but because whoever's job it is dropped the ball this is where we're at. No one was going to do anything (and may well still not) if the community didn't speak up. The community taking liberties with sarcasm and jabs at ANets expense when they clearly fumbled is hardly anything that should be apologized for.

> > >

> > > Mistakes do happen all the time, I don't think anyone here expressed that they expected to be exempt from any responsibility for such mistakes. Could people display some manners and professionalism? Sure. Does that include ANet? Yup.

> >

> > You are correct that mistakes happen all the time.

> >

> > The interesting part here is the Dev who posted the links was the one who, according to the API, got it wrong.

> >

> > It would appear that the Links as they happened, were correct.

> >

> > The API is showing what was intended, not the Dev post.

>

> If the links are right there's a whole other issue at hand.

Maybe so. Although if the system IS automatic, and is just based off population metrics, (which, remember, is play hours not actual bodies) then the information was there. Could some have games the process to their benefit? Absolutely.

• ArenaNet Staff

Hey folks,

I am very sorry that I could not update you sooner. I was awaiting approval on what to say, to make very certain that my interpretation of the events -- at which I arrived with your help and analysis -- was 100% accurate.

I've posted a message from the team [here](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/63972/world-linking-error-21-december-2018 "here").

> @"Tinnel.4369" said:

> > > >

> > > > **The whining, dev finger pointing and bashing of Gaile** has been completely unnecessary. Learn to control yourselves and emotions, and stop being so overly critical that another human made a mistake somewhere. Some of you are behaving as if the world will end, but guess what? It’s not...

> > > >

> > > > **The only error looks to be in the forum post, nothing more**. And it’s wrong to be immature and jerkish to the Gaile, who is the community representative trying to help, who is not a developer and doesn’t have control over game functions... I reported the 4 threads, now 5, that were QQing about match ups (as per usual every relink) and all she had been is helpful. She could have just locked the threads and dismissed all the whining, but she didn’t... She actually took the time to investigate and clarify.

> > > >

> > > > If any of you were to ever wonder why the devs have such strict rules on communication with the players, we need not look any further than this thread. Some of you take the game so seriously that it impairs your rational thinking and ability to type out mature responses... **so I’d take a step back and maybe apologize for being overly dramatic and unreasonable to Gaile and the devs.**

> > > >

> > > > Final words.. **Mistakes happen all the time, and each of you posting are not some beings of perfection, so do some self reflection this holiday on how some of you treat others, on the outside world and online**...

> > > >

> > > > Good luck!

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Your own post here clearly details the problem. We, the community, are troubleshooting ANets game through the community representative on the forum for them. And in doing so are being scolded by said representative for being 'unhelpful'. It's neither our job, nor Gaile's job, but because whoever's job it is dropped the ball this is where we're at. No one was going to do anything (and may well still not) if the community didn't speak up. The community taking liberties with sarcasm and jabs at ANets expense when they clearly fumbled is hardly anything that should be apologized for.

> > >

> > > Mistakes do happen all the time, I don't think anyone here expressed that they expected to be exempt from any responsibility for such mistakes. Could people display some manners and professionalism? Sure. Does that include ANet? Yup.

> >

> >

> > The interesting part here is the Dev who posted the links was the one who, according to the API, got it wrong.

> >

> >

>

> If the links are right there's a whole other issue at hand.

No chance, like ZERO that GoM and CD should be unlinked and YB should have 3.

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > @"Tinnel.4369" said:

> > > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > Dear GW2 Community,

> > >

> > > **The whining, dev finger pointing and bashing of Gaile** has been completely unnecessary. Learn to control yourselves and emotions, and stop being so overly critical that another human made a mistake somewhere. Some of you are behaving as if the world will end, but guess what? It’s not...

> > >

> > > **The only error looks to be in the forum post, nothing more**. And it’s wrong to be immature and jerkish to the Gaile, who is the community representative trying to help, who is not a developer and doesn’t have control over game functions... I reported the 4 threads, now 5, that were QQing about match ups (as per usual every relink) and all she had been is helpful. She could have just locked the threads and dismissed all the whining, but she didn’t... She actually took the time to investigate and clarify.

> > >

> > > If any of you were to ever wonder why the devs have such strict rules on communication with the players, we need not look any further than this thread. Some of you take the game so seriously that it impairs your rational thinking and ability to type out mature responses... **so I’d take a step back and maybe apologize for being overly dramatic and unreasonable to Gaile and the devs.**

> > >

> > > Final words.. **Mistakes happen all the time, and each of you posting are not some beings of perfection, so do some self reflection this holiday on how some of you treat others, on the outside world and online**...

> > >

> > > Good luck!

> >

> > You are confused and/or misinformed.

> >

> > What would you like them to be apologized to for?

> >

> > Your own post here clearly details the problem. We, the community, are troubleshooting ANets game through the community representative on the forum for them. And in doing so are being scolded by said representative for being 'unhelpful'. It's neither our job, nor Gaile's job, but because whoever's job it is dropped the ball this is where we're at. No one was going to do anything (and may well still not) if the community didn't speak up. The community taking liberties with sarcasm and jabs at ANets expense when they clearly fumbled is hardly anything that should be apologized for.

> >

> > Mistakes do happen all the time, I don't think anyone here expressed that they expected to be exempt from any responsibility for such mistakes. Could people display some manners and professionalism? Sure. Does that include ANet? Yup.

>

>

> The interesting part here is the Dev who posted the links was the one who, according to the API, got it wrong.

>

>

> The API is showing what was intended, not the Dev post.

That's not correct at all. Why do you come to the assumption the API is showing "what was intended?"

The API reports what the current state is, nothing more.

• ArenaNet Staff

On another note, please understand that my questions in the early minutes of this issue were intended only in a positive way. I was not quibbling about semantics, and I certainly wasn't suggesting that there wasn't an issue. What I was doing was honestly asking for clarity about what might be a bug report versus a disagreement with the changes... because we've all seen both, and I truly needed to know what was happening in those first minutes.

And yes, it became very clear within minutes that there was an issue, but I only was able to arrive at that conclusion with helpful input from forum members, for I don't have access nor the knowledge to read the linking code, and could not make a full assessment on my own.

So, again, thanks for the reports and thanks to those of you who were patient with me as I asked the questions I needed to ask *even while I had already escalated the issue to the devs.* I have your best interests in my mind every day, and if you feel my comments somehow came across wrong, I'm very sorry.

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> Hey folks,

>

> I am very sorry that I could not update you sooner. I was awaiting approval on what to say, to make very certain that my interpretation of the events -- at which I arrived with your help and analysis -- was 100% accurate.

>

> I've posted a message from the team [here](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/63972/world-linking-error-21-december-2018 "here").

For those to lazy to click, she wrote:

> An error was made in configuring the world links for North America. The list of linked words that was [posted ](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/63915/bug-relink-issue-reports "posted ")on 21 December 2018 was accurate. However, two links – one each meant for the Crystal Desert and Gates of Madness worlds – were accidentally applied to Yak’s Bend. We’re aware of this error and are very sorry that it took place.

>

> Unfortunately, due to technological limitations, **we cannot amend this error until the next scheduled reset, which will take place on 28 December 2018**. Again, we apologize for this issue and intend to take steps to prevent this sort of problem from happening in the future.

@"Gaile Gray.6029"

Thanks for your attention to this last night. I know from my own work that everyone's in a real hurry to get home for the holidays at this time of year, so I wasn't surprised no one around to fix the problem and I'm glad you were at least around to engage with us and inform others of the problem.

Just an idea - maybe relinking should be done at the end of odd months instead of even? It seems the alternative would be to have the December relinking done two weeks early instead of just one - I feel like the two last Fridays in December are just going to be bad timing for most calendar years.

> @"Towelie.9504" said:

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Good luck!

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> That's not correct at all. Why do you come to the assumption the API is showing "what was intended?"

>

> The API reports what the current state is, nothing more.

And it would appear based on Gailes post that you were correct. The information I had was not.

> On another note, please understand that my questions in the early minutes of this issue were intended only in a positive way. I was not quibbling about semantics, and I certainly wasn't suggesting that there wasn't an issue. What I was doing was honestly asking for clarity about what might be a bug report versus a disagreement with the changes... because we've all seen both, and I truly needed to know what was happening in those first minutes.

>

> And yes, it became very clear within minutes that there was an issue, but I only was able to arrive at that conclusion with helpful input from forum members, for I don't have access nor the knowledge to read the linking code, and could not make a full assessment on my own.

>

> So, again, thanks for the reports and thanks to those of you who were patient with me as I asked the questions I needed to ask *even while I had already escalated the issue to the devs.* I have your best interests in my mind every day, and if you feel my comments somehow came across wrong, I'm very sorry.

I think what may be helpful in the future is that there is a clear set of processes in place for verification/validation of what's supposed to be vs what is actually is.

If someone is doing something like relinking, it only took players a few seconds to figure out what the actual links were, and they verified it as soon as what the intended list was supposed to be (which was like an hour+ delayed after relinks, so no one knew if this was really intended or not). I have pretty high confidence whoever is doing the relinking has plenty of tools infront of them to verify it actually happened as intended (the API for example).

One issue I see is that since last night I am assuming a lot of players probably already transferred to/from servers, so the previously intended link setups are likely not valid anymore? Are links going to be re-calculated for next week?

> @"Kaiser.9873" said:

> > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > Dear GW2 Community,

> >

> > The whining, dev finger pointing and bashing of Gaile has been completely unnecessary. Learn to control yourselves and emotions, and stop being so overly critical that another human made a mistake somewhere. Some of you are behaving as if the world will end, but guess what? It’s not...

> >

> > The only error looks to be in the forum post, nothing more. And it’s wrong to be immature and jerkish to the Gaile, who is the community representative trying to help, who is not a developer and doesn’t have control over game functions... I reported the 4 threads, now 5, that were QQing about match ups (as per usual every relink) and all she had been is helpful. She could have just locked the threads and dismissed all the whining, but she didn’t... She actually took the time to investigate and clarify.

> >

> > If any of you were to ever wonder why the devs have such strict rules on communication with the players, we need not look any further than this thread. Some of you take the game so seriously that it impairs your rational thinking and ability to type out mature responses... so I’d take a step back and maybe apologize for being overly dramatic and unreasonable to Gaile and the devs.

> >

> > Final words.. Mistakes happen all the time, and each of you posting are not some beings of perfection, so do some self reflection this holiday on how some of you treat others, on the outside world and online...

> >

> > Good luck!

>

> This is the thing though. We don't HAVE to act a certain way. We don't HAVE to be polite and friendly. We are the customers, and we expect things to work right. Little things here and there? Sure those can slide, but this isn't a little thing. "Oops, forgot to bring the milk in last night." is a small thing that people can overlook. "Wow, my Friday night, and perhaps the entire next 2 months of my WvW are jacked up." is not.

>

> Perhaps if there is no monetary exchange between players and company then yeah overlook this all day. There is though. Many WvW players purchased game, expansions, and maybe even gems expecting a company to make sure they get things right before shutting down for a week. At least one guild server transferred last night due to the fiasco. That's a significant chunk of change.

That’s right, you don’t HAVE to... However, there are forum rules and normal,rational, mature and basic respectful ways to get messages across...

Go ahead and act like you can do whatever you want, but Anet has control over the forums and the game. Anyone behaving like an entitled jerk to employees may get booted off the forum and game... Right?

Edit- And being the “customer” doesn’t mean you have the right to abuse an employee...

> @"Jeknar.6184" said:

> > @"Menzo.2185" said:

> > PLEASE Yak 'Bend + 3 servers, be ashamed.

> > Don't take everything from all the maps. This is outrageous !!!

>

> Nah... We should take everything to show how kitten up is this pairing...

So... PLEASE don't gunk everyone with HUGE BLOBs

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

>

> That’s right, you don’t HAVE to... However, there are forum rules and normal,rational, mature and basic respectful ways to get messages across...

>

> Go ahead and act like you can do whatever you want, but Anet has control over the forums and the game. Anyone behaving like an entitled jerk to employees may get booted off the forum and game... Right?

>

> Edit- And being the “customer” doesn’t mean you have the right to abuse an employee...

Agreed - phrasing feedback sensibly and respectfully is much more helpful to get a problem resolved. Sarcastic, accusatory and/or abusive feedback might be dealt with eventually (if you're lucky) but it takes longer, because the developers or support staff responsible for reading it have to work out which parts are real, and which are just the customer behaving like a bell-end.

Additionally, unhelpful forum posts are a significant reason why Reddit is popular amongst game devs these days, as it's perceived to offer more relevant feedback - much of the nonsense just gets downvoted to oblivion.

>

>

>

> The API is showing what was intended, not the Devs

Mistakes do happen all the time

The interesting part here is you were mistaken

It would appear that you were mistaken

@"ThunderPanda.1872"

so what kind of technical software development knowledge do people need to know to log onto gw2 account linked to effected wvw server?

you didn't need to be an software engineer to diagnose and obvious problem. there was other ways to check the issue. and the least effective was taken

people become trolls when the bar gets lowered to a unacceptable standard