Can we please increase the area limit for decorating in Guild Halls?

Goldfox.5729

It's so terribly annoying when you hit the area limit and you can't finish a masterpiece. It's so limiting to creativity and joy.

Yes I know it makes Guild Halls worse for people with bad computers. But this is 2018 and most people have good enough computer to properly maintain high framerates.

Also, it depends what type of decoration you're placing.

If you place 20 Snowmakers it has a much bigger impact than 20 Guild Stools.

Please double the area limit and let us create wonderful things that we can show off on social media which in turn will attract people to play the game!?

> @"Goldfox.5729" said:

> It's so terribly annoying when you hit the area limit and you can't finish a masterpiece. It's so limiting to creativity and joy.

A true masterpiece is made with the limitations of the material in mind.

edit: Of course, upgrading that material to make even grander masterpieces is naturally appreciated. :p

I believe they said to do so would go over the current minimum spec threshold. They aren't going to raise that just for decoration placements.

It might happen, but technical limitations are what they are. EVen if I have mis-remembered the reason (it's too long ago to dig out the quote) such a limit will exist for a very specific reason. If they are unable to raise it, it's likely because they simply can't, not because they wont.

Also, you would be prob amazed at how many people play this game with out of date PCs. Myself included . Poor performance and low fps is a major ongoing concern for so many and you only have to visit the account forums alone to see that.

(fyi I'm not against raising the limit in principle)

edit: I did find this from 2016 when they upped from 1000 - 2000 decorations even if it isn't the one I was thinking of;

*While a majority of players will enjoy the higher cap with no issue, there will be some impact on those who play on computers at the minimum specifications for Guild Wars 2. To avoid issues, we will continue to limit the number of decorations that may be placed close to one another in a specific allotment of space to 20 decorations within a radius of 500.*

The move from 1000->2000 total decorations improved the ability to decorate entire halls significantly. It would be nice if they increased the local limit to something higher than 20 as well. It's time.

Too many decorations does increase the time they take to load in when you first enter the guild hall, but it's generally not a big deal. You're also in a relatively safe place where you're not going to get killed by a fire drake. FPS just isn't that critical in the guild hall.

> @"Deimos.4263" said:

> The move from 1000->2000 total decorations improved the ability to decorate entire halls significantly. It would be nice if they increased the local limit to something higher than 20 as well. It's time.

>

> Too many decorations does increase the time they take to load in when you first enter the guild hall, but it's generally not a big deal. You're also in a relatively safe place where you're not going to get killed by a fire drake. FPS just isn't that critical in the guild hall.

I doubt its just FPS drops tbh.

• 1 month later...

YES. This is needed. Decorations are SO small and sometimes areas on the guild hall are quite bigand empty. Even when hitting the 20 cap it still looks empty (unless you've used big decorations only). It is pretty limiting and kills the fun out of it. It should be up to the guild to determine if the amount of decorations they place can be handled by their members, not Anet.

Wheras limit of decos have its importance, the design of the guild hall too. Whereas Lost precipice was awesome, windswept look like rushed without no real notable area where you can make a home. My guildies and me only found the mine at north-west and the waterfall at the south. That's sad, I prefer the cavern under the map.

Limit should take in account the size of decos, for 1 Big, you can add instead 5 Small. 15 in the same circle of 10 meters can be cool, the number increase rapidly:

-1 long racetrack as roof

-1 Table as a desk with on it: 1 spooky gramophone and 1 row of candles

-Behind it 1 throne. In front of it 1 carpet.

-2 Zephyrite panes with 1 firecamp and 1 Bed.

-2 Small bookshelves, 1 toxic plant.

-1 Ascalonian tree

=> total 14, where should I put lights? It's full.... -_-

• 1 month later...

> @"hugo.4705" said:

> Limit should take in account the size of decos, for 1 Big, you can add instead 5 Small. 15 in the same circle of 10 meters can be cool, the number increase rapidly:

>

The technical reason for the limitation has nothing to do with the size of the model (the object). If you place a large deco instead of a small one - or vice versa - it won't really affect performance, in and of itself. (Things are of course different if the decoration in question is animated for example, like the snow dispenser) If you, however, place 5 small ones instead of 1 large, it more or less multiplies the draw call (the processing power) needed by the same factor and that MAY very well affect the FPS.

That said, I think it's high time to raise the limits by some amount. Say, 25 or 30 in a radius of 500 units, instead of the 20. We are in 2019 now. And there are settings to improve performance on lower end machines, anyway.

> @"MikeG.6389" said:

> > @"hugo.4705" said:

> > Limit should take in account the size of decos, for 1 Big, you can add instead 5 Small. 15 in the same circle of 10 meters can be cool, the number increase rapidly:

> >

>

> The technical reason for the limitation has nothing to do with the size of the model (the object). If you place a large deco instead of a small one - or vice versa - it won't really affect performance, in and of itself. (Things are of course different if the decoration in question is animated for example, like the snow dispenser) If you, however, place 5 small ones instead of 1 large, it more or less multiplies the draw call (the processing power) needed by the same factor and that MAY very well affect the FPS.

>

> That said, I think it's high time to raise the limits by some amount. Say, 25 or 30 in a radius of 500 units, instead of the 20. We are in 2019 now. And there are settings to improve performance on lower end machines, anyway.

That is the reason I believe decorations should be bigger (or have bigger versions of em). If I want to put hedges around an area, they are so small that just making that hedge wall busts the limit. Or tables : if I want to put down some long tables in a dining hall, I have to chain more than one long tables because there is no long enough tables, which busts the limit again. You see the point...

> @"Joraan Adenard.2061" said:

> > @"MikeG.6389" said:

> > > @"hugo.4705" said:

> > > Limit should take in account the size of decos, for 1 Big, you can add instead 5 Small. 15 in the same circle of 10 meters can be cool, the number increase rapidly:

> > >

> >

> > The technical reason for the limitation has nothing to do with the size of the model (the object). If you place a large deco instead of a small one - or vice versa - it won't really affect performance, in and of itself. (Things are of course different if the decoration in question is animated for example, like the snow dispenser) If you, however, place 5 small ones instead of 1 large, it more or less multiplies the draw call (the processing power) needed by the same factor and that MAY very well affect the FPS.

> >

> > That said, I think it's high time to raise the limits by some amount. Say, 25 or 30 in a radius of 500 units, instead of the 20. We are in 2019 now. And there are settings to improve performance on lower end machines, anyway.

>

> That is the reason I believe decorations should be bigger (or have bigger versions of em). If I want to put hedges around an area, they are so small that just making that hedge wall busts the limit. Or tables : if I want to put down some long tables in a dining hall, I have to chain more than one long tables because there is no long enough tables, which busts the limit again. You see the point...

I agree with the idea of larger decoration pieces. Some of them just get lost among other objects and can really only be appreciated if you change to first person view, which I rarely do. And you'd only think that if it's small, it costs less... but that is off-topic.

I think it's less of a problem of decorations per area and more of a problem of not having varied enough decorations. They've done great with adding things like the beds - which before I had to use a guild buffet and a pillow to create. They added the race tracks, which provide nice flooring and ceiling instead of aligning the Mursaat Overseer tokens which are raid drops anyway, and a few here and there that take the place of one or more decorations. If they just kept adding things like that, it would be fine. More structural pieces are nice, i.e. walls, floors, ceilings. We have plenty of columns and small furnishings, but the Elegant Wall Panel is the only thing that goes well with many of the other pieces and it's so tedious and expensive to craft that I never bother making any. How do we turn 4 giant stone pillars into a small wooden wall?

So many of the scribe recipes are just bloated and non-sensical, and I guess they were designed that way originally because they were meant to be group effort passion projects from multiple guild members, but it feels like out of an entire guild, there's maybe only a few people that actually care about decorating or take the time to level scribing.

The whole system could use a rework, but I doubt it will ever happen. The best we can hope for moving forward, is that they keep thinking of more useful decorations to add and make them more cost efficient. Simply adding so many of these assets to vendors like they did with Lake Doric and Jahai Bluffs seems like a much easier way to incorporate pre-existing assets without taking the time to add scribe recipes for them, that are probably just as tedious to create as they are for us scribes to craft.

Still so many things already in game that I would love to have. Still holding out for an Abaddon statue since I already have some nice little shrines dedicated to the others.

It feels pretty clear that if we do get decorations implemented, it's a side project from a dev that's probably one of the few that are actually passionate about this aspect of the game. Without them, we probably wouldn't get anything outside of a few festival decorations.

There's so many elonian assets that I'm surprised we didn't get more decorations and recipes with Path of Fire. But Guild Halls in general seem to be an afterthought at this point and didn't even really seem to come to full fruition during their prime in Heart of Thorns. Even Windswept, as beautiful and detailed as it is, feels a lot less robust than Gilded Hollow and Lost Precipice. But perhaps smaller is what they were aiming for.

Still holding out hope for another guild hall, but as we're who knows how far away from another expansion, I doubt we'll get one in a living story update. I love my kitties in the market at Windswept, but if they add another hall I like better I might have to switch over. It's incredibly frustrating trying to decorate anything in Windswept as there are virtually no flat surfaces anywhere, and even if you think something is flat and go to lay a rug down, it still winds up floating in mid air.