PvP Rank Badge on Forums

SteepledHat.1345

> @"Vicariuz.1605" said:

> person with a PHD has a more valid opinion on the subject than some one who does not.

No, at best, a person with a PhD has a more _informed_ opinion. Having a degree sometimes means you just get to the wrong answer more quickly.

Of course we want policy papers and peer reviews and legislation to be crafted by properly credentialed and experienced professionals.

But these forums aren't that; they are public discussions of ideas. As such, all ideas _here_ deserve an equal opportunity to be _presented_. And naturally, since not all ideas are equal, it's up to the reader to weed out the bad ideas and highlight the good ones.

Printing someone's PvP badge on the page undermines the presentation, without helping anyone separate the wheat from the chaff (or even to know whether one wants wheat or chaff or both).

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Vicariuz.1605" said:

> > person with a PHD has a more valid opinion on the subject than some one who does not.

> No, at best, a person with a PhD has a more _informed_ opinion. Having a degree sometimes means you just get to the wrong answer more quickly.

>

> ****

> Of course we want policy papers and peer reviews and legislation to be crafted by properly credentialed and experienced professionals.

> But these forums aren't that; they are public discussions of ideas. As such, all ideas _here_ deserve an equal opportunity to be _presented_. And naturally, since not all ideas are equal, it's up to the reader to weed out the bad ideas and highlight the good ones.

>

> Printing someone's PvP badge on the page undermines the presentation, without helping anyone separate the wheat from the chaff (or even to know whether one wants wheat or chaff or both).

>

tell me how showing a persons rating inhibits them presenting their idea.

i'd also like to know the issue with showing a rating badge if it means nothing and any one can get plat or legend.

> @"Vicariuz.1605" said:

> tell me how showing a persons rating inhibits them presenting their idea.

"Undermining the presentation" refers to the visual impact on the reader: an idea with a low score invariably looks worse than one with a high score. It's basic psychology. Besides that, others have also explained how it leads to a chilling effect.

>

> i'd also like to know the issue with showing a rating badge if it means nothing and any one can get plat or legend.

If it means nothing, then why do you want it?

The point is: bad ideas are bad, regardless of who posts them. Why should we trust the opinion of someone who can't evaluate the rhetoric without seeing the PvP rank of the poster?

> @"Jeknar.6184" said:

> > @"ventusthunder.5067" said:

> > Being platinum doesn't make your opinions anywhere near more valid.

> >

> > Case in point, the guy crying saying condi mirage is underpowered and he's only in plat because of his "skill."

>

> He is actually legend... Which make it even worse.

Well actually, his point was that condi mirage isn't OP in legend / top tier level of play, and he is right. What he fails to understand though is that mirage is OP for the rest of the player population aka, the majority of the population.

> @"voltaicbore.8012" said:

> > @"Satenia.9025" said:

> >As far as I'm concerned, I would take the feedback of a gold player over anything a top 250 has to offer at this point, all the latter has to offer these days is how to abuse loop-holes in order to farm points.

>

> As someone who had to work hard in solo queue for my Merciless Legend title, I take a bit of offense to this, even though I know you aren't directing that comment at folks like me.

>

> I think, as usual, people are actually having two different discussions without realizing it here. I think OP and some others in favor of the rank-badges-on-forum are much more concerned about being able to quickly assess (and most likely dismiss) feedback from lower tier players. This is very, very, very different from claiming that anyone with a plat badge and above deserves to be taken seriously. Again, saying that one group of people (lower tier players) _don't_ deserve the time of day is *not* the same as saying another group of people _automatically deserve_ to be listened to each and every time.

>

> I ultimately think the only thing rank badges would do on the forums would be silencing lower tier players. As stupid as many of their posts are, I still prefer having a system where they get to post their opinions and the rest of the community gets to respond. At least this way, the bad idea gets aired out, and those who know better on that particular issue can offer corrections or counter-information on the matter.

Fair point regarding the distinction between these two aspects. Ultimately though, I'm not sure if this really boils down to lower tier, but rather about spotting people with low investment into the game-mode, say someone plays just a handful of games, rage-quits and then cries for nerfs on the forums. That kind of behavior is not necessarily tied to the tiers (tons of salt about class/build/fotm-picks in plat T2) and I suppose you would have to display the "badge" (or whatever suitable representation) with factoring in games played and decay as well as previous seasons. Then we're at the point where we're talking gw2efficiency kind of things and I highly doubt that'll ever happen :pensive:

(Congratulations on obtaining your title the way you did btw., that's definitely not the kind of accomplishment I would ever belittle, but based on a simple badge, we really couldn't tell the difference between that and the common "exploits" :smile: )

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > tell me how showing a persons rating inhibits them presenting their idea.

> "Undermining the presentation" refers to the visual impact on the reader: an idea with a low score invariably looks worse than one with a high score. It's basic psychology. Besides that, others have also explained how it leads to a chilling effect.

>

> >

> > i'd also like to know the issue with showing a rating badge if it means nothing and any one can get plat or legend.

> If it means nothing, then why do you want it?

>

> ****

> The point is: bad ideas are bad, regardless of who posts them. Why should we trust the opinion of someone who can't evaluate the rhetoric without seeing the PvP rank of the poster?

>

So it's basic common sense that some one with a high rating, usually, has a pretty decent grasp of what they are doing. It's basic after all. I don't give a fuck about if it hurts peoples feelings that they have low rating and don't want it known up front. This idea that every one is equal is garbage and any one with a brain knows it. There is A GOOD REASON why people would lend more credence to an opinion from a plat/legend player over a bronze one.

There is NOTHING preventing that bronze person from voicing their opinion, plain and simple.

Why should we trust the opinion of some one who can't play the game at a level to get themselves out of gold, let alone silver or bronze?

People who are bad at the game do not have informed opinions on it, ESPECIALLY regarding balance, I would rather have more information about the person putting forth an opinion than less, and thats why badges would be better.

> @"viquing.8254" said:

> Actually when you have a player who just came in PvP and play 6 hours just to make a rage post about nerfing something while his profession has the highest representativeness in top 20. Yeah, it's not a shame to note that no everyone's opinion is of equal value.

> And if you accord same value between a top 20 streamer and a bronze backpedal on a PVE build, AKA if you accord same value between someone who spend hours trainning and understand the game mecanics for good results and someone who just pop and say kitten, perhaps there is a problem.

> Most of the time posters didn't want to use or do not know a skill/build/gameplay who make their profession strong.

>

> Sometimes I feel that many people live in a Care Bears world where everyone should be 1st by doing whatever and make kisses.

>

> Don't get me wrong, high rating players say kitten as everyone but at least they know how work the current PvP environment.

>

That's correct but that has little to do with what badge they have. There's correlation between experience and your badge quality but that doesn't mean they are the same thing. For me personally, I'll rather listen to a gold player with 2000 hours in PvP than a platinum player with 200 hours. It's unlikely, I know, but experience is more valuable than rating. Unless they have an obvious bias towards a class.

Seems I failed to transfer along my thoughts correctly. I didn't mean to say that we should be listening to every single new guy that comes along, I was just trying to convey the thought that badge doesn't correlate to rating.

> @"Vicariuz.1605" said:

> are you claiming that every one in plat and above cheeses their way to their rating?

>

> if rating is arbitrary then theres no reason not to show it.

>

> using your own argument that its only the context of whats said that matters, then showing the badge/rating, should, not matter to you.

aching to play that victim card eh lol. no im not saying that. if you cant understand that ppl will use their rating to either put good ideas down or upvote bad ones then theres no point in continuing this conversation.

> @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > are you claiming that every one in plat and above cheeses their way to their rating?

> >

> > if rating is arbitrary then theres no reason not to show it.

> >

> > using your own argument that its only the context of whats said that matters, then showing the badge/rating, should, not matter to you.

>

> aching to play that victim card eh lol. no im not saying that. if you cant understand that ppl will use their rating to either put good ideas down or upvote bad ones then theres no point in continuing this conversation.

>

What are you talking about playing victim? You are the one claiming that every one cheeses to high rating, not me.

Wouldn't it be obvious is the person is trying to use their rating like that? Therefor easily identifiable and forgotten?

From every thing that's said about how rating means nothing, it's very very interesting to me how people would like it to remain hidden here, I wonder what for.

Nope, the game is not designed for the elite. Good ideas by low rating people will only be dismissed by "elitists" who likely have nothing to do with game development, and therefor, such an idea serves no purpose for the good of the community.

Also, if the dev's wanted to do it, it would have already been done; this isn't a new idea or even a good one. I have had some really bad ones myself but this is pure balderdash.

Sure you can go and look it up, but try posting it on the forums or name and shame and you go BYE BYE.

> @"Vicariuz.1605" said:

> What are you talking about playing victim? You are the one claiming that every one cheeses to high rating, not me.

>

> Wouldn't it be obvious is the person is trying to use their rating like that? Therefor easily identifiable and forgotten?

>

> From every thing that's said about how rating means nothing, it's very very interesting to me how people would like it to remain hidden here, I wonder what for.

sure lol.

isn't it already obvious to identify complaint threads and bad ideas? how would rating change that?

ppl have said repeatedly why rating should remain hidden. I just told you. maybe invest some time into reading comprehension.

> @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > What are you talking about playing victim? You are the one claiming that every one cheeses to high rating, not me.

> >

> > Wouldn't it be obvious is the person is trying to use their rating like that? Therefor easily identifiable and forgotten?

> >

> > From every thing that's said about how rating means nothing, it's very very interesting to me how people would like it to remain hidden here, I wonder what for.

>

> sure lol.

> isn't it already obvious to identify complaint threads and bad ideas? how would rating change that?

> ppl have said repeatedly why rating should remain hidden. I just told you. maybe invest some time into reading comprehension.

>

Nothing I've read so far justifies it for me, so instead of insulting me because ur upset im not joining the bandwagon, bring something other than "itll hurt my feelings" to the table.

When a silver badge is complaining about balance and a platinum or legend badge is, ill be FAR more interested in what the platinum and legend badge has to say. I bet the vast majority of other players would too.

> @"SteepledHat.1345" said:

> I'd like to see everyone's ranked PvP badge next to their names when posting on the forums. I feel like that would help give their comments weight and give a more accurate perception of their experience. Thoughts?

lol in that case i would like to see evidence of someones real life qualifications to understand their real experience and education level :)