Stop calling it class

Kuulpb.5412

> @"Uden Reavstone.3426" said:

> > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > @"archie.3074" said:

> > > For people who actually have played any other MMO than Guild Wars, profession stands for crafting preference and class is what GW means by profession.

> > > Wouldn't make any problem out of it. After few years with GW2 I'm still getting confused myself when people ask for profession.

> >

> > Nope. FFXI called them crafts (there were also "hobbies" but no one called them that, which include stuff like gardening, mining, harvesting, ect). FFXIV calls them crafts (or crafting classes) as well as "Disiplines of the Hand" which is in contrast to "Disiplines of Magic" or "Disiplines of War". I don't recall what Tera calls it but since it doesn't stand out in my head, I'm going to guess they just call them crafts. Now Blade and Soul *does* call their crafting professions but their system is rather isolated because the player doesn't craft anything, they just commission *actual* crafters (aka NPCs) to create things for them but you need the material and when it's done you either pick it up or the crafter can mail it to your character for a small fee. City of Heroes called their system "Inventions" and you needed to go to a university and use their labs to combine materials you collect from defeated villains/heroes to create enhancements to slot into your powers.

> >

> > I feel, calling crafts "professions" seems rather odd. I'm sure it's the coined term in standard PnP RPGs or games directly influenced from said RPGs but is it really that widely used?

>

> I remember FFXI calling them Jobs. It has been a while since I've last played though, so I could be wrong.

Jobs are specific to the job-system that is used to determine a characters abilities (things like Warrior, Beastmaster, Samurai, White Mage, etc). My post was pointing to the use of professions as a stand-in for crafting. I feel the use of profession with regards to crafting has to stem from somewhere specific but I am unsure where.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> This is so pointless class ore proffesion is same thing in this meaning does it matter what you call your characters skill set we all know the meaning

It is all semantics. The OP understands what others mean when they say class, or job, or profession, just like people that use class understand what job or profession means. It's called context clues, and learning to pick up on them will make you (seem like) a smarter person.

> @"Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485" said:

> > @TheSlothArmada.6709 said:

> > It makes no sense to call if a profession.

> > armorsmith is a profession, warrior is a class ._.

> > I don't know why the devs thought it'd be cool to call classes professions. . .

>

> Warrior is a profession...

> dictionary

> 1. a paid occupation, especially one that involves prolonged training and a formal qualification.

>

> Warriors are generally paid, and generally have prolonged training.

> Warrior class would be a level of ranking, such as commander.

This may work with warrior, it doesn't so much work for thief. Anyone, trained or untrained, can become a thief...even a good one. And if you do get any kind of training? It is not prolonged training, it is basic at best. You also don't get paid to be a thief. Certainly not any formal qualification.

> @"Runiir.6425" said:

> > @"Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485" said:

> > > @TheSlothArmada.6709 said:

> > > It makes no sense to call if a profession.

> > > armorsmith is a profession, warrior is a class ._.

> > > I don't know why the devs thought it'd be cool to call classes professions. . .

> >

> > Warrior is a profession...

> > dictionary

> > 1. a paid occupation, especially one that involves prolonged training and a formal qualification.

> >

> > Warriors are generally paid, and generally have prolonged training.

> > Warrior class would be a level of ranking, such as commander.

>

> This may work with warrior, it doesn't so much work for thief. Anyone, trained or untrained, can become a thief...even a good one. And if you do get any kind of training? It is not prolonged training, it is basic at best. You also don't get paid to be a thief. Certainly not any formal qualification.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Just like a professional snoop would be a spy, a professional pickpocket or swindler could be labled a thief. The training of a warrior and the training of a thief would obviously be different. Where a warrior's experience would involve hardened survival and long bouts of fighting, a thief would be nabbing stuff and if caught, not being arrested or killed. Both have their risks. The merits of the thief would likely revolve around the prizes they can acquire and the worth of said prizes while also not being caught while a warrior's would be how many people they've defeated or killed and the level of strength and experience those people had while not succumbing to injuries or death.

Considering how many movies have the trope of the professional thief with their bag of tricks and array of skills, it's not difficult to see thief as a profession...just not a credible one.

The better question is, how is an Elementalist considered a profession? Is it like the Court Wizard or something?

> I wonder does it matter what people call it we all understand the meaning

> This is so pointless class ore proffesion is same thing in this meaning does it matter what you call your characters skill set we all know the meaning

> @"Alehin.3746" said:

> guardion is me favoritre clas

professional necros

![](https://i.imgur.com/m4KZtKK.jpg "")

> @"Runiir.6425" said:

> > @"Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485" said:

> > > @TheSlothArmada.6709 said:

> > > It makes no sense to call if a profession.

> > > armorsmith is a profession, warrior is a class ._.

> > > I don't know why the devs thought it'd be cool to call classes professions. . .

> >

> > Warrior is a profession...

> > dictionary

> > 1. a paid occupation, especially one that involves prolonged training and a formal qualification.

> >

> > Warriors are generally paid, and generally have prolonged training.

> > Warrior class would be a level of ranking, such as commander.

>

> This may work with warrior, it doesn't so much work for thief. Anyone, trained or untrained, can become a thief...even a good one. And if you do get any kind of training? It is not prolonged training, it is basic at best. You also don't get paid to be a thief. Certainly not any formal qualification.

Never heard of a professional thief?

They get paid though their loot, they generally train (does not mean they have to receive it from someone else) so they can steal and fight as needed

> @"MarshallLaw.9260" said:

> > @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > I wonder does it matter what people call it we all understand the meaning

>

> > @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > This is so pointless class ore proffesion is same thing in this meaning does it matter what you call your characters skill set we all know the meaning

>

> > @"Alehin.3746" said:

> > guardion is me favoritre clas

>

> professional necros

>

> ![](https://i.imgur.com/m4KZtKK.jpg "")

>

>

made me chuckle, tbh I'd forgotten about this thread.