[Suggestion] Next Feature Pack: Consistency Update

Zoe.8310

I'd be happy if the "Feature" release was a general consistency pass on the game. There are soooooo many systems in the game you can tell were made by different people without any sort of global Game Designer/Director making it consistent with other very similar systems.

i.e. :

* Some chests open instantly, some have an animation

* Some transformation exit with hotkey 5, some 6, some with 10

* Some ground targets are considered rings (and are hidden with the Options Menu toggle) some are not

* Some Mesmer clones are on keybind 4 some on 5

* Some skills are 10 target, some are 5 (with or without mode-split)

* Some world bosses are "Champions" or "Legendary" while others have proper World Boss nameplates

* Some Champions are actually tougher than a Legendary mob

* Sometimes map portals instantly transfer you, sometimes you press F

* Some crafting materials stack, some don't

* Some crafting materials go into storage, some don't

* Sometimes when you are "Fixated," or Tanking, or Focused-on, you have an icon over your head, sometimes you don't

* Some ground effects are solid orange circles/shapes, some are hard-to-see rings (just a circle, nothing filled in)

* etc

* etc

What are other things you all have notice that is super inconsistent from mode to mode, dungeon to fractal, map to map, raid to raid?

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> There's a limit on storage capacity for Materials. You can use the search function to read more about that (or check the archived forum).

Oh, I am aware of that. My limit is 2,000 ;-)

I'm referring to stuff like the flowers you grow in your garden that don't go into material storage. Stuff like that.

> @"Zoe.8310" said:

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > There's a limit on storage capacity for Materials. You can use the search function to read more about that (or check the archived forum).

>

> Oh, I am aware of that. My limit is 2,000 ;-)

>

> I'm referring to stuff like the flowers you grow in your garden that don't go into material storage. Stuff like that.

And thats the limit Inculpatus cedo.9234 pointed to they cant put in everything into the material storage since there is a upper limit of items that it can store.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"Zoe.8310" said:

> > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > There's a limit on storage capacity for Materials. You can use the search function to read more about that (or check the archived forum).

> >

> > Oh, I am aware of that. My limit is 2,000 ;-)

> >

> > I'm referring to stuff like the flowers you grow in your garden that don't go into material storage. Stuff like that.

>

> And thats the limit Inculpatus cedo.9234 pointed to they cant put in everything into the material storage since there is a upper limit of items that it can store.

No, I am not talking about the _number _of items stored, I am talking about the _types_. There are items that are used for crafting or cooking that do not go into storage at all. Not even one of them.

> @"Zoe.8310" said:

> > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > @"Zoe.8310" said:

> > > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > There's a limit on storage capacity for Materials. You can use the search function to read more about that (or check the archived forum).

> > >

> > > Oh, I am aware of that. My limit is 2,000 ;-)

> > >

> > > I'm referring to stuff like the flowers you grow in your garden that don't go into material storage. Stuff like that.

> >

> > And thats the limit Inculpatus cedo.9234 pointed to they cant put in everything into the material storage since there is a upper limit of items that it can store.

>

> No, I am not talking about the _number _of items stored, I am talking about the _types_. There are items that are used for crafting or cooking that do not go into storage at all. Not even one of them.

Yes, and the number of different "slots" in material storage is finite.

> @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > @"Zoe.8310" said:

> > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > @"Zoe.8310" said:

> > > > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > > There's a limit on storage capacity for Materials. You can use the search function to read more about that (or check the archived forum).

> > > >

> > > > Oh, I am aware of that. My limit is 2,000 ;-)

> > > >

> > > > I'm referring to stuff like the flowers you grow in your garden that don't go into material storage. Stuff like that.

> > >

> > > And thats the limit Inculpatus cedo.9234 pointed to they cant put in everything into the material storage since there is a upper limit of items that it can store.

> >

> > No, I am not talking about the _number _of items stored, I am talking about the _types_. There are items that are used for crafting or cooking that do not go into storage at all. Not even one of them.

>

> Yes, and the number of different "slots" in material storage is finite.

Everything is finite... but even on 32-bit systems, it can be a number much much larger than you'll ever fill up.

> @"Zoe.8310" said:

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > There's a limit on storage capacity for Materials. You can use the search function to read more about that (or check the archived forum).

>

> Oh, I am aware of that. My limit is 2,000 ;-)

>

> I'm referring to stuff like the flowers you grow in your garden that don't go into material storage. Stuff like that.

I am not referring to storage expansion, but the number of Material Storage slots. As suggested previously, you can 'Search' for the Dev comments on the topic.

> @"juno.1840" said:

> > @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > > @"Zoe.8310" said:

> > > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > > @"Zoe.8310" said:

> > > > > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > > > There's a limit on storage capacity for Materials. You can use the search function to read more about that (or check the archived forum).

> > > > >

> > > > > Oh, I am aware of that. My limit is 2,000 ;-)

> > > > >

> > > > > I'm referring to stuff like the flowers you grow in your garden that don't go into material storage. Stuff like that.

> > > >

> > > > And thats the limit Inculpatus cedo.9234 pointed to they cant put in everything into the material storage since there is a upper limit of items that it can store.

> > >

> > > No, I am not talking about the _number _of items stored, I am talking about the _types_. There are items that are used for crafting or cooking that do not go into storage at all. Not even one of them.

> >

> > Yes, and the number of different "slots" in material storage is finite.

>

> Everything is finite... but even on 32-bit systems, it can be a number much much larger than you'll ever fill up.

But the dev most familiar with the material storage has stated that the limit is small enough that they have to be careful what they add.

Just remember other stuff that is very inconsistent:

Block vs Evade vs Invlun vs Distort vs Cloak

And then all the different stuff that can be blocked, but not dodged, or dodged but not blocked, or blocked and dodged but not distortable, or distorable but not blockable or dodgeable....

Having to memorize 2,183 specific cases of these is ........ obnoxious

Some “daily” things reset at reset, other “daily” things reset in like 22 (?) hours, some “daily” things reset at like midnight (?) server time, or something, I know there is a third “daily” time. It should all be reset.

Other then the home instance node version, that tree from the island, forget its name, where we got the “zippy pull” mastery, the versions we planted out in the world don’t behave like every other tree. A normal tree collapses “after” your 3 chops. These trees immediately collapse, but still give your 3 chops “only” if you have unlimited tools or 3 charges left. Less than 3 charges, you can’t finish, and get ripped off? Game breaking? Hardly. But this is about “consistency”! ;)

> @"notebene.3190" said:

> Some “daily” things reset at reset, other “daily” things reset in like 22 (?) hours, some “daily” things reset at like midnight (?) server time, or something, I know there is a third “daily” time. It should all be reset.

>

Midnight server time *is* reset.

The *really* strange one is Pact Supply Network Agents - they change inventory at reset (midnight UTC) but *move* at 0800 UTC!

> @"Mackowidz.4629" said:

> One of the most annoying inconsistenties for me is how progress bars in events are handled. Sometimes events are completed when the bar is 100%, sometimes when it reaches 0. I need to see the bar move in order to determine if it's almost completed or barely started.

Hah, good one! That totally drives me crazy, too!

> @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > @"juno.1840" said:

> > > @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > > > @"Zoe.8310" said:

> > > > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > > > @"Zoe.8310" said:

> > > > > > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > > > > There's a limit on storage capacity for Materials. You can use the search function to read more about that (or check the archived forum).

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Oh, I am aware of that. My limit is 2,000 ;-)

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I'm referring to stuff like the flowers you grow in your garden that don't go into material storage. Stuff like that.

> > > > >

> > > > > And thats the limit Inculpatus cedo.9234 pointed to they cant put in everything into the material storage since there is a upper limit of items that it can store.

> > > >

> > > > No, I am not talking about the _number _of items stored, I am talking about the _types_. There are items that are used for crafting or cooking that do not go into storage at all. Not even one of them.

> > >

> > > Yes, and the number of different "slots" in material storage is finite.

> >

> > Everything is finite... but even on 32-bit systems, it can be a number much much larger than you'll ever fill up.

>

> But the dev most familiar with the material storage has stated that the limit is small enough that they have to be careful what they add.

That Dev better be looking to expand that then capacity then; because the current trajectory of 2-3 new materials per chapter for LS (and upwards of a dozen per expansion) it going to start causing major inventory management problems the longer the game goes on. Even the number of bank tabs are no longer sufficient to keep pace with the number of things we're compelled to store for crafting and/or collection reasons.

Ever since HOT, theres been a major shift in how they manage crafting pathways that actively shuts out options in the refinement stages. For instance, T7 for Ascended and T7 for Legendary are not interchangeable to prevent trading being an option for Legendary crafting. However, the refinement process requires the same types of common materials, and demanded in large enough quantities to make storage a problem. This forces me into making the tradable T7 mats on the chance I might need a new Asc gear set, or into Empowered T7s for Mastermarks before a need can determine which I would need. So I now 2 tabs dedicated to T5/T6 items on the off chance a new sink comes along that demands them. Plus in the off seasons they're too cheap to be worth selling off, but following LS chapters, demand can double their price in the days surrounding the sink's introduction. To sell or use, its just more beneficial to sit on them until you find a use for them. Mystic curios is also a pain since fine mats have different influx rates throughout the year, and only have one particular use.

Its something of a catch 22 in that the Crafters (which this is all targeted at) is increasingly compelled to hoard what they find, because it can take months for an item's price to come down following some kind of sink. Bottlenecks complicate this problem further, since the rare mats will increase in price due to demand, but the more common items will fall rapidly if they can't be processed into something due to the lack of rare materials. See Eyes of Kormir in the first couple of weeks, until people realized where the real bottlenecks were.

They used to try to reuse more of older materials, but I think someone in Anet realized that reduces the effectiveness of the time gates... so they now introduce these collections and their materials as a whole set for the time gate potion, and tries to use a surplus material for the gold sink aspects.

Picking up items is super inconsistent. The newer ones use that added slot, which is nice, but makes older hearts stand out really bad when you're faced with the choice of holding onto an item or fighting for your life. Then, sometimes when you set an item down, it can be picked back up again, sometimes not. Some items are shared between players, some are not. Some drop in water, some don't. I _think_, but am not certain, that I've had at least one experience of an item dropping when getting on a mount, while most stay.

Some endless tonics allow you to fight under transformation whereas some others give you costume brawl skills.

Indeed we should have both types for each tonics. Combat ones stay as tonics, whereas costumes brawl are renamed costumes and put in another slot.

Second more important remark: Some tonics tolerate your sex and adapt the model depending on that where some other like sinister automatonics are always male which is really sad. All tonics should allow jumping and going underwater.

> @"Roam.5208" said:

> I _think_, but am not certain, that I've had at least one experience of an item dropping when getting on a mount, while most stay.

Yep, there are some items you can pickup and drive away with your mounts and when you dismount it is still on your hands, and some simply disappear or fall on the ground.

> @"Zoe.8310" said:

> * Some skills are 10 target, some are 5 (with or without mode-split)

Also, mount attacks seem to hit as many targets as they can on the area of effect, no limits.

Edit: Wiki says it is a 10target skill but i'm almost sure it hits more than that anyways, maybe a bug.