That character should stay dead

> @"Substance E.4852" said:

> > @"Yitsul.8342" said:

> > She ate an awakened. so she might awaken. Otherwise we're kitten'd

>

> Close but Anet is likely going to bring her back with some kind of application of Zhaitan's spooky death magic. There was no other real reason to mention it during the fight other than to set up a plot device to effectively retcon the events of this entire chapter.

>

> Or I could be wrong and that was a pointless throw away line to signal the arrival of skeleton centaurs. I really hope I'm not because that would be even worse than what I described above.

>

> Also, regardless of how any of us feel about *******, without her, the plot kind of hits a giant roadblock and Anet then needs to come up with some new "thing" we need to obtain/assemble/meet to contain dragon energy so it doesn't melt the planet.

>

> > @"Talindra.4958" said:

> > Everyone will move on now that elder dragon is back to his lair.. he won't cause anymore chaos because he is no longer feeling a threat anymore.

>

> It's been repeatedly established that the dragons wake up and then basically consume all magic in the world until there's nothing left, go back to sleep, leach it out into the world, and continue the cycle. Kralk just going back to sleep for no reason would be even worse than ****** becoming some kind of magic battery god.

We can replace elder dragons with bloodstone

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"Kylden Ar.3724" said:

> > Our "character" the Commander needs to suffer for being a dumb fool who charges before thinking.

>

> I believe we were very much manipulated into taking the actions we took when we took them.

>

> >! I believe it was never Glint who sent Eir to tell us that it was time for Aurene to take over Kralkatorrik's place; Glint has the gift of prophecy, plus Aurene was her only surviving offspring. She would definitely have known that her baby dragon was in no position to take on an Elder Dragon at this point in time. She would not have sent her only child into certain death and put the world in overwhelmingly huge peril like that.

> >!

> >! I also don't believe it was Glint who spoke to us during the "trials" in this episode, because of the nonsense she talked about Kralkatorrik and, again, the aforementioned reasons. I believe it was Kralkatorrik all along, manipulating us to charge prematurely into battle and, naturally, lose.

>

> As for the OP's sentiment: I believe that character is very much dead, and should they turn out to come back somehow, that would be incredibly bad writing.

I don't think Anet is capable of writing this level of intrigue.

I'm more concerned by Glints interferences in all chapters, all dragons. The Forgotten, the Exalted, the dwarf, the zephyrits, the egg, Vlast, the "dragon" spear, All the trials with facets and Aurene, fighint in the mist .... She's dead but she can't stop to chase us in every new episodes.

Plot twist, she also knew about the death of "that" character and we'll have a new trial or weapon.

Second plot twist, once all dragons defeated she'll reveal she fainted death, ate all magic and crush the tyria.

> @"Taygus.4571" said:

> > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > @"Kylden Ar.3724" said:

> > > Our "character" the Commander needs to suffer for being a dumb fool who charges before thinking.

> >

> > I believe we were very much manipulated into taking the actions we took when we took them.

> >

> > I believe it was never Glint who sent Eir to tell us that it was time for Aurene to take over Kralkatorrik's place; Glint has the gift of prophecy, plus Aurene was her only surviving offspring. She would definitely have known that her baby dragon was in no position to take on an Elder Dragon at this point in time. She would not have sent her only child into certain death and put the world in overwhelmingly huge peril like that.

> >

> > I also don't believe it was Glint who spoke to us during the "trials" in this episode, because of the nonsense she talked about Kralkatorrik and, again, the aforementioned reasons. I believe it was Kralkatorrik all along, manipulating us to charge prematurely into battle and, naturally, lose.

> >

> > As for the OP's sentiment: I believe that character is very much dead, and should they turn out to come back somehow, that would be incredibly bad writing.

>

> I don't think Anet is capable of writing this level of intrigue.

LOL! I hope they are. Because the alternative would be that Glint forsaw her scion's death and that was the plan all along, so the two of them could reunite in the Mists and bring Kralkatorrik down from there (as his powers might alter in the non-physical realm). And that would be just bleh.

> @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> I'm fairly confident our friend will return, one way or another.

>

> But I find the Joko explanation for return problematic, and this is why:

> Joko apparently has unlimited extra lives.

> Then Aurene eats him, and "He ain't coming back from being eaten by a dragon!"

> So, Kralk eats Aurene.

> 1. If Joko couldn't recover from being dragon-eaten, Aurene can't come back from being dragon-eaten by absorbing his powers. He does not have the power to come back from being digested. He did not have a 'get out of dragon digestion' power for her to absorb.

> 2. If Aurene could simply take away his power by eating him, then Kralk can simply take away her power by eating her.

>

> My hopes instead are placed on the secret for-dragons-only conversation that Glint had with Aurene in the trials section.

But.. she didn't get eaten. Kraalkatorik tried to brand her (as she saw in her vision) but it looked to me like he failed. Probably because the thing from the first challenge of the first instance kicked in.

I have to say that I love how some people are upset by the idea that someone might get revived, even though they've planted several paths to this that the plot could easily take. Yet in LS 4-4 they added in actual, FUNCTIONING TIME TRAVEL to the game, and I've not seen anyone complain about it.

(It was in the process of obtaining the Requiem armor, by the way.)

So, this is purely speculation. Based off of what someone else in the comments has already stated, I believe that Aurene's death was inevitable and actually necessary.

During the trials, Glint splits the Commander and Aurene apart, saying this to Aurene:

"Scion, my beloved child, there are things about _Ascension_ that can only be expressed between dragons."

Aurene and the Commander briefly go their separate ways and receive a different gift of understanding from Glint. I believe that Aurene has, or will, Ascend. If this is the case, it might be that Aurene's death was inevitable and, in fact, necessary for her to Ascend and become a viable candidate for all that Kralky Juice. I believe this to be the case for 2 reasons:

A ) I love Aurene and don't want her to truly be dead;

B ) Kralkatorrik now presides in the Mists. It might be that the only way for Aurene to absorb his power is to do so in the Mists.

It might honestly be that Aurene has to absorb Glint's power just to be on an even playing field as Kralkatorrik, and that the only way for her to do so was to die so she could truly exist in the Mists.

In any case, I knew this plan wasn't going to work. Kralkatorrik is the granddaddy of the elder dragons; he's the most powerful of them all. For us just to kill him so easily would've actually pissed me off.

So, I'm glad that it didn't work. But, while I do agree that the Commander needed to learn a hard lesson, as his ego (killing Zhaitan, Mordremoth, Blathazaar, and technically Joko) was starting to become an issue from a narrative perspective, I do hope that said lesson didn't actually come at the cost of Aurene's life.

One way or another it's not the last we've seen of her. She can still roam the mists like her mother IF she's dead. If she is in a Joko like death state she will revive at some point. After replaying that instance you can definitely tell that she IS in fact slightly branded, the tips of her wings are clearly purple and around the parts where she got impaled. However, it really is important that we haven't seen Kralkatorrik stay to absorb her magic, nor have witnessed any magical explosion as would be expected. So either he just slurped it all up in one go as he went out or the magic just went poof into nowhere. Neither of which I find very likely. I like the Joko theory, because it would be a callback to the setup done in his final episode and I do not believe that it HAS to feel cheap just because of it. Death is still the ultimate stake, but we also know that the Lich magic is something REALLY special that can go even beyond a dragon's influence as seen with the Awakened Sylvari. They've really done a great job at giving us MANY different hints that could mean all kinds of things, yet none are clear enough to really give us an idea.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"Taygus.4571" said:

> > > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > > @"Kylden Ar.3724" said:

> > > > Our "character" the Commander needs to suffer for being a dumb fool who charges before thinking.

> > >

> > > I believe we were very much manipulated into taking the actions we took when we took them.

> > >

> > > I believe it was never Glint who sent Eir to tell us that it was time for Aurene to take over Kralkatorrik's place; Glint has the gift of prophecy, plus Aurene was her only surviving offspring. She would definitely have known that her baby dragon was in no position to take on an Elder Dragon at this point in time. She would not have sent her only child into certain death and put the world in overwhelmingly huge peril like that.

> > >

> > > I also don't believe it was Glint who spoke to us during the "trials" in this episode, because of the nonsense she talked about Kralkatorrik and, again, the aforementioned reasons. I believe it was Kralkatorrik all along, manipulating us to charge prematurely into battle and, naturally, lose.

> > >

> > > As for the OP's sentiment: I believe that character is very much dead, and should they turn out to come back somehow, that would be incredibly bad writing.

> >

> > I don't think Anet is capable of writing this level of intrigue.

>

> LOL! I hope they are. Because the alternative would be that Glint forsaw her scion's death and that was the plan all along, so the two of them could reunite in the Mists and bring Kralkatorrik down from there (as his powers might alter in the non-physical realm). And that would be just bleh.

Which sounds alot more like Anet. They're not that good at writing. Especially when it comes to complex plots. They've all been pretty straight forward.

> @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > @"Substance E.4852" said:

> > > @"Yitsul.8342" said:

> > > She ate an awakened. so she might awaken. Otherwise we're kitten'd

> >

> > Close but Anet is likely going to bring her back with some kind of application of Zhaitan's spooky death magic. There was no other real reason to mention it during the fight other than to set up a plot device to effectively retcon the events of this entire chapter.

> >

> > Or I could be wrong and that was a pointless throw away line to signal the arrival of skeleton centaurs. I really hope I'm not because that would be even worse than what I described above.

> >

> > Also, regardless of how any of us feel about *******, without her, the plot kind of hits a giant roadblock and Anet then needs to come up with some new "thing" we need to obtain/assemble/meet to contain dragon energy so it doesn't melt the planet.

> >

> > > @"Talindra.4958" said:

> > > Everyone will move on now that elder dragon is back to his lair.. he won't cause anymore chaos because he is no longer feeling a threat anymore.

> >

> > It's been repeatedly established that the dragons wake up and then basically consume all magic in the world until there's nothing left, go back to sleep, leach it out into the world, and continue the cycle. Kralk just going back to sleep for no reason would be even worse than ****** becoming some kind of magic battery god.

>

> We can replace elder dragons with bloodstone

You'd need a ludicrous amount of it and then you have the problem of a giant island of radioactive magic material that everyone will wage wars over.

Anet writing a scenario in which no one race/nation/group tries to take control of a source of essentially unlimited power would be even more terrible than the entire Scarlet arc.

Whoever said death isn't part of ascension. And can see a few paths how this sets up the next expansion. LS3 seemed kind of disjointed as well until you were able to go back and play them in a sequence then they fit much better togther. See the same steps here. Build build build build, big event, path forward declaration. And yes it looks like someone is following Marvel's Avengers kinda concept. Give them answsers on how you can recover from this embedded along the way with some cover.

> @"Umut.5471" said:

> Much George R. R. Martin

this

OP should watch TWD tv series where everyone gets killed just for shock value beyond "GoT" expectations, at some point people just doesn't care anymore and the story goes down the hill with so much killing and useless tragedy, we got enough "drama" dosis with taimi's fate revealed and blish death so if they kill the "hope" and leave it like that well that's not good writing imo making all this "scion" story since living world season 2 to just end it like "wops, its gone" is lazy & cheap, idk what's with all this people who enjoys watching good guys getting killed and call it "good writing" tv shows already abused this element for years, anyway i had enough with GoT & TwD more of the same with GW2? welp nope, no thx. GW2 be like: https://i.chzbgr.com/full/7532945664/hB8D8239A/

> @"locoporesa.2864" said:

> > @"Umut.5471" said:

> > Much George R. R. Martin

>

> this

> OP should watch TWD tv series where everyone gets killed just for shock value beyond "GoT" expectations, at some point people just doesn't care anymore and the story goes down the hill with so much killing and useless tragedy, we got enough "drama" dosis with taimi's fate revealed and blish death so if they kill the "hope" and leave it like that well that's not good writing imo making all this "scion" story since living world season 2 to just end it like "wops, its gone" is lazy & cheap, idk what's with all this people who enjoys watching good guys getting killed and call it "good writing" tv shows already abused this element for years, anyway i had enough with GoT & TwD more of the same with GW2? welp nope, no thx. GW2 be like: https://i.chzbgr.com/full/7532945664/hB8D8239A/

I disagree - I feel Aurene should stay dead.

The whole point is to show that even though you struggle, and fight on, and do all of this effort to prevail - something things can happen and your efforts aren't enough. It doesn't invalidate the story from S2 onwards, in fact, it only adds to it.

Still, I don't believe she will stay dead - unfortunately I have a feeling Anet won't be able to help themselves and will bring her back through some cheap plot device - maybe because she ate Joko?

Like I said - I'd prefer the story to keep her dead, and for her death to give the races of Tyria a lesson - a lesson that you need to be smart about the fight and not just "hopeful".

> @"Harper.4173" said:

> Like I said - I'd prefer the story to keep her dead, and for her death to give the races of Tyria a lesson - a lesson that you need to be smart about the fight and not just "hopeful".

They'll really treasure that lesson for the few days remaining until reality is eaten or the planet explodes.

Yes, the Commander needed a knock upside the head with how strong and Sue-ish we are (and still are.)

Aurene? We barely knew anything about her other than she was Glint's kid. She was kidnapped by Balthy and tortured, she ate a lich and we forced her to do something she already showed us would kill her. Other than that, she had less development than others of our group. If they don't expand on her in some way it'd be poor story telling (make her an evolving legendary or something).

As for those that think Kralk is just gonna go home? Are you serious? No. We pinned his head into a cavern, shot the kitten out of him and took his eye out. HE IS NOT GONNA TAKE THAT LIGHTLY. Zhatain attacked us at our home base (Vigil, Whispers, Priory). He's definitely gonna take that page (if they are smart with the story telling) and retaliate (Divinity's Reach or one the other cities could use a face lift, kitten, I'd love it if all the cities were attacked and decimated for our screw-up). It's just seeing what he will do.

Already happened with zaithan campaign, mordremoth and balthazar, we already experienced how our efforts are not enough while losing allies and friends in the process, then we finally reach a solution for the problem at hands and isn't always the best solution coz we defeat the bad guy yep but in exchange something terrible happens at the same time, the game already exhausted the "kill beloved character" element, people can't forget how our mentor died at the battle of claw island, that was many years ago and still we have to see other nice characters getting killed again and again.

Things getting worse after each elder dragon death, zaithan was beaten with the pact, trahearne and the commander with a good classic war and lots of deaths, then mordremoth gave us much more problems taking advantage of sylvaris and destroying the fleet before the pact could do the same strategy as they did with zaithan, very clever, still was a very difficult moment for everyone, Eir stegalkin died, tons of people died, the pact never recovered from this battle coz you never see them again with the same strength and not at all against Balthazar, Tyria was already losing at this point, Elona is a warzone devastated by kralkatorrik corruption, Joko's rule and balthazar campaign, the place is literally the worst zone in all tyria like i rather go and hang out with ascalonian ghosts than spending a weekend in amnoon, seriously you want more drama and tragedy? it wasn't enough with blish death and taimi fate revealed? plus it looks like all the tyrian forces gathered for kralkatorrik battle were obliterated and few survived so whos gonna help this damaged world now? quaggans? those birds locked inside dominion of winds? cantha is coming with some rohirrim charge to save the day? those human gods who went like "cant do anything, sorry, moving away, best of luck"? i don't think so.

This so called "dragon's watch" still incomplete with both marjory and kasmeer away, "destiny edge" getting smaller and incomplete i don't feel any strength coming from them as a group like idk, the avengers? zojja got brain damaged or something she's MIA since HoTs, and the pattern tells me Anet gonna hit Rox next or marjory and kasmeer like they have to make the characters suffer or kill them for plots sake and shock value, for that i have game of thrones and the walking dead, btw anet clearly gets inspiration from GoT idk the wintersday main theme sounds like GoT in some way and then with this episode the anti-kralkatorrik weapons = dragonglass from GoT, thats fine i guess but ffs why would they go full RR martin?

My point is, Tyria and overall GW2 plot is very depressing and full of tragedy, world already on fire and anet keep throwing fuel, idk how aurene death adds more substance to LWS2 plot without her coming back with joko's magic or helping us from the mists in some ascended/ghostly form, anyway she must come back coz how the hell tyria gonna keep kralkatorrik magic once he's dead? they either find a way to "channel/store" such power or else the world gets rekt by uncontained kralka magic, that or just leave em alone which is the same as "all this dead for nothing, should have spend the past 4 years watching dolyaks ".

anyway just gonna quote some guys who feel the same as i do after finishing this episode, and apologies my english is terrible:

>! @"Neniel.5370" said: The ending left me heartbroken and almost in tears.... This ending... I lost my passion for the game ! I don't know how, but I WANT AURENE BACK!

>! @"Pale One Mistress.5280" said: That ending was NOT OKAY!!! Seriously it makes me want to never play this game ever again! NEVER!!!

>! @"Dragon.4032" said: This makes me not want to log in, or delay the log in. Or even if I log in, not want to play this LS cause of apprehensive reasons.

>! @"Ordin.9047" said: The ending made my 10 yr old daughter cry herself to sleep. Thats not really cool IMO. I c an't say that I'm itching to get back to playing GW2 for a while myself.

>! @"Lothloria.5436" said: ANET I love you, but you guys are killing me! It's starting to look like the Game of Thrones! Every story update I hold my breath to see who survives... already lost my beloved plant Trahearne. Holding my breath for Braham and Canach, BUT if you lay a finger on Logan!!! So help me Dwayna! Darn it ANET! ... why you are so mean... but I still love you...

>! @"Aleaxita.2041" said: Killing off beloved characters is not good writing. I shouldn't expect any better, given the track record, but this is ridiculous. I'm so tired of the writing team relying on character death for shock value. It's not going to do much, but if I could even have one word with the writing team, _please stop._

> @"wickedkae.4980" said:

> It'll be back. Anet does not have the creative abilities to move on with this. Everything comes back, nothing is ever dead in this game. So annoying. Hard to care when someone "dies" lol. Seriously, just have the characters respawn at a WP and be done with it.

Game mechanics are NOT lore. Death in lore is final and honestly it upsets me that people pretend like it's nothing anymore just because our player character has died now. We are the only case of a character coming back from the dead and it was a huge deal. It doesn't mean that everybody can just return at will, nor has that ever been a plotpoint anywhere else.

> @"Ash.5274" said:

> I tend to agree. Hobbling around that corner to see the sheer brutal spectacle of all those visions made reality was a powerful moment, and bringing that character back next episode would rob it of that potency.

This is the main reason it should stay dead. I really don't want them to cheapen the moment after how well that entire scene was handled.