List of legendary characters Revenant could channel to use Greatsword in the next elite spec

Rain.9213

> @"Lonewolf Kai.3682" said:

> But upon thinking more about it, it is somewhat spoilerific using Balthy.

>

> I would love to see a Jora legend, along with a transformation utility bar. But, I’m sorely going to miss my short bow from Kalla (yes, I actually do like the sb).

I mean, obviously anet can and will do whatever they want... But going by their own lore rules, we wouldn't be able to channel Balthazar as a legend since he is not in the Mists.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Rashagar.8349" said:

> > @"supa suop.8026" said:

> > I would say Asgeir Dragonrender would also be a good contender for a legend that could wield a greatsword. To lesser extent if we want more of a notorious legend anet could choose Svanir. though I do feel like Svanir would be better suited with daggers or a claw-like weapons. I just hope the next legend is Norn focused they need some love.

> >

> > As for the greatsword it does not have to be a melee weapon it can be a ranged weapon. I was thinking something similar to how a necromancer's axe works excepted that the greatsword would be able to cleave foes around the target. It could fit the theme of revenant because the greatsword slashes could open up mini portals to the mist that damage foes.

>

> > @"Kain Francois.4328" said:

> > I'm all for a Norn elite spec that involves us transforming. It would be nice if "Become the Bear" were an actual mechanic at least some sort of Norn could use, like they were marketed to do in Eye of the North, rather than a subpar racial elite.

>

> On a related note, I still think my ideal Norn legend would actually be Owl.

> I don't care if it makes sense. I just want it.

Who?

>! I tell bad joke

Another Greatsword implication I'd be okay with would be Saint Viktor Kurzick (they don't show what weapon he actually uses except someone else's dagger)...

And they could fully embrace their "I wish we were dev'ing for a Castlevania mmo Kurzick vibe" and make all the skills like a short-mid range (375-450) chain-whip greatsword. No matter what skin you use, it could be broken apart, and held together by Mists that glow based on your current legend. Immobs, and pulls, and slashing scars in the air/ground allowing Mist to pour out... Good times.

> @"Kuulpb.5412" said:

> > @"Zenith.7301" said:

> > Has to be Jora.

> >

> > The norn are the most mist aligned of the races yet they gave the first revenant to a freaking charr because it's their game mascot. We don't even have a norn legend.

> >

> > It's either Jora or the guy who chipped off Jormag's tooth.

>

> I would argue sylvari are, as their dream is literally the mists, hence why they can speak to ventari etc.

I'll settle for anything but the charr, really. The most atheist, militaristic and pragmatic, non-spiritual race (and don't give me this crap about the Ohlmakan, an invention of which you are not even part of as your origin story) being the first revenant is so patently absurd.

> @"Zenith.7301" said:

> > @"Kuulpb.5412" said:

> > > @"Zenith.7301" said:

> > > Has to be Jora.

> > >

> > > The norn are the most mist aligned of the races yet they gave the first revenant to a freaking charr because it's their game mascot. We don't even have a norn legend.

> > >

> > > It's either Jora or the guy who chipped off Jormag's tooth.

> >

> > I would argue sylvari are, as their dream is literally the mists, hence why they can speak to ventari etc.

>

> I'll settle for anything but the charr, really. The most atheist, militaristic and pragmatic, non-spiritual race (and don't give me this kitten about the Ohlmakan, an invention of which you are not even part of as your origin story) being the first revenant is so patently absurd.

The Charr don't deny that the Mists are real. They know it is a real place with real beings that can be interacted with. They may not like magic but that doesn't translate to them denying the existence of the Mists. As such there is nothing wrong with the first Revenant being a Charr. It, in no way, conflicts with their general outlook on magic. You'd have a point if the Charr denied the existence of the Mists and beings from the Mists but that is not the case.

The bigger issue would merely be Charr in the magical professions of Necromancer, Mesmer, and Elementalist, not Revenant.

> @"Carighan.6758" said:

> List of weapons which would be utterly boring to get because everyone and their mother already has them:

>

> 1. Greatsword.

Has to be said once again, Greatswords are -boring-. Play a warrior or guardian or reaper if you want to use one. Dont force such a bland weapon upon unconventional revenants, they dont need it. We dont need a shiro copycat power dps legend, but something more unique to make a new way of playing the class as Especs is intended for.

Hmm.. I'd have to rule Balthazar out because I don't think there is actaully anything left of him.

Much like Abaddon when a God dies they seem to completely disintegrate out of existence.. their powers and magic either passed on to a new being (like Kormir in Abaddons case) or absorbed by something else (Aurine and Kralkatorrik in Balthazars case).

I think Riannoc would be a good choice although the Sylvari don't have much lore when it comes to the concept of an after life.. but thanks to PoF we can assume that they all go to the mists when they die much like everyone else does so the potential for him to be channeled is there.

Jora would be a cool legend to channel as well.

I'd also like to see Prince Rurik as a Legend one day.

Lazarus the Dire would be a fun Legend, can only imagine the banter with him

Lazarus: YOU MURDERED ME!!..

Us: And now you serve me!.. sucks to be you. :D

There's a lot of potential for Legends in Gw2.

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> We dont need a shiro copycat power dps legend, but something more unique to make a new way of playing the class as Especs is intended for.

You know what I'd want? Or rather accept, as far as a Greatsword goes?

An *active* pet class. Make it an... Animancer. Someone who can, Guardian-style-but-more, animate a weapon to fight for them. New weapon can then be Greatsword, whatever.

Point is, they don't have weapon skills anyhow. Instead 1-5 become the pet control skills, and that pet has the autoattack and all, separate from me. But it has to be babysitted and controlled, because it's 90% of what I can do, only it is vulnerable and won't do anything on its own.

> @"Carighan.6758" said:

> > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > We dont need a shiro copycat power dps legend, but something more unique to make a new way of playing the class as Especs is intended for.

>

> You know what I'd want? Or rather accept, as far as a Greatsword goes?

> An *active* pet class. Make it an... Animancer. Someone who can, Guardian-style-but-more, animate a weapon to fight for them. New weapon can then be Greatsword, whatever.

> Point is, they don't have weapon skills anyhow. Instead 1-5 become the pet control skills, and that pet has the autoattack and all, separate from me. But it has to be babysitted and controlled, because it's 90% of what I can do, only it is vulnerable and won't do anything on its own.

AIs in this game tend to suck. Not sure that would work out very well.

> @"Dace.8173" said:

> > @"Carighan.6758" said:

> > > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > > We dont need a shiro copycat power dps legend, but something more unique to make a new way of playing the class as Especs is intended for.

> >

> > You know what I'd want? Or rather accept, as far as a Greatsword goes?

> > An *active* pet class. Make it an... Animancer. Someone who can, Guardian-style-but-more, animate a weapon to fight for them. New weapon can then be Greatsword, whatever.

> > Point is, they don't have weapon skills anyhow. Instead 1-5 become the pet control skills, and that pet has the autoattack and all, separate from me. But it has to be babysitted and controlled, because it's 90% of what I can do, only it is vulnerable and won't do anything on its own.

>

> AIs in this game tend to suck. Not sure that would work out very well.

>

I agree. AI has never really worked in this game. I can't see it working especially in PvP, turning it into Kalla 2.0.

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > @"Carighan.6758" said:

> > List of weapons which would be utterly boring to get because everyone and their mother already has them:

> >

> > 1. Greatsword.

>

> Has to be said once again, Greatswords are -boring-. Play a warrior or guardian or reaper if you want to use one. Dont force such a bland weapon upon unconventional revenants, they dont need it. We dont need a shiro copycat power dps legend, but something more unique to make a new way of playing the class as Especs is intended for.

You keep on saying Greatswords are boring. That's just your opinion, not a fact.

In my opinion the caster weapons like sceptres are even more bland.

The only "unconventional" weapon revenants use is the ranged hammer.

> @"ROMANG.1903" said:

> > @"Ertrak.9506" said:

> > It doesn't have to be limited in scope to "characters that had a GS" either, It just has to relate to them somehow. Last I checked, Mallyx the Unyielding didn't wield a mace and axe.

>

> But he isn't an elite spec legend. Elite specs need to have all of their components tied around a specific idea

This is true and it furthers my point. OP's suggestions aren't very creative.

> @"Teratus.2859" said:

> Hmm.. I'd have to rule Balthazar out because I don't think there is actaully anything left of him.

>

> Much like Abaddon when a God dies they seem to completely disintegrate out of existence.. their powers and magic either passed on to a new being (like Kormir in Abaddons case) or absorbed by something else (Aurine and Kralkatorrik in Balthazars case).

Thank you. Kitten. People need stop the Balthazaar crap.

If revenants ever gets greatswords, they should not have standard moves like a guardian or warrior have it, simply too cheap to copy them. That is why im strictly opposed to greatsword as I worry they might just get a generic hacknslash moveset just to appease the Twilight edgelords.

And revs does have unusual moves with their weapons, like sword 2, 3, 4, or all the abilities opening mist portals.

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> If revenants ever gets greatswords, they should not have standard moves like a guardian or warrior have it, simply too cheap to copy them. That is why im strictly opposed to greatsword as I worry they might just get a generic hacknslash moveset just to appease the Twilight edgelords.

> And revs does have unusual moves with their weapons, like sword 2, 3, 4, or all the abilities opening mist portals.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/66988/mistwalker-an-elite-specialization-idea-attempting-to-make-greatsword-not-boring#latest

I do hear what you and others are saying and so this is how I think a more interesting GS elite spec could turn out.

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> If revenants ever gets greatswords, they should not have standard moves like a guardian or warrior have it, simply too cheap to copy them. That is why im strictly opposed to greatsword as I worry they might just get a generic hacknslash moveset just to appease the Twilight edgelords.

> And revs does have unusual moves with their weapons, like sword 2, 3, 4, or all the abilities opening mist portals.

I find that unlikely. Folks talk about greatsword not being boring but no amount of theory crafting will change that greatsword, even when introduced as an Elite weapon, has a boring skill set across the board. I've already created a post that outlined how many attacks get duplicated between the various examples we have to examine.

> @"Rain.9213" said:

> > If revenants ever gets greatswords, they should not have standard moves like a guardian or warrior have it, simply too cheap to copy them. That is why im strictly opposed to greatsword as I worry they might just get a generic hacknslash moveset just to appease the Twilight edgelords.

> > And revs does have unusual moves with their weapons, like sword 2, 3, 4, or all the abilities opening mist portals.

>

> https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/66988/mistwalker-an-elite-specialization-idea-attempting-to-make-greatsword-not-boring#latest

>

> I do hear what you and others are saying and so this is how I think a more interesting GS elite spec could turn out.

You say that but that isn't proof that it could be better. Theorycrafting what could be is not a counterargument about what has happened. Even the Reaper got a very standard set of moves that you'll find with others. So no matter what you say about abilities it could have it doesn't refute people's desire not to have a weapon that has so far, proven boring.

> @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > @"Dace.8173" said:

> > > @"Carighan.6758" said:

> > > > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > > > We dont need a shiro copycat power dps legend, but something more unique to make a new way of playing the class as Especs is intended for.

> > >

> > > You know what I'd want? Or rather accept, as far as a Greatsword goes?

> > > An *active* pet class. Make it an... Animancer. Someone who can, Guardian-style-but-more, animate a weapon to fight for them. New weapon can then be Greatsword, whatever.

> > > Point is, they don't have weapon skills anyhow. Instead 1-5 become the pet control skills, and that pet has the autoattack and all, separate from me. But it has to be babysitted and controlled, because it's 90% of what I can do, only it is vulnerable and won't do anything on its own.

> >

> > AIs in this game tend to suck. Not sure that would work out very well.

> >

>

> I agree. AI has never really worked in this game. I can't see it working especially in PvP, turning it into Kalla 2.0.

>

> > > @"Carighan.6758" said:

> > > List of weapons which would be utterly boring to get because everyone and their mother already has them:

> > >

> > > 1. Greatsword.

> >

> > Has to be said once again, Greatswords are -boring-. Play a warrior or guardian or reaper if you want to use one. Dont force such a bland weapon upon unconventional revenants, they dont need it. We dont need a shiro copycat power dps legend, but something more unique to make a new way of playing the class as Especs is intended for.

>

> You keep on saying Greatswords are boring. That's just your opinion, not a fact.

> In my opinion the caster weapons like sceptres are even more bland.

> The only "unconventional" weapon revenants use is the ranged hammer

Except Scepter has one of the most versatile move sets in the game, thanks to Elementalist. You may be able to say it looks bland but its performance is far from bland. When we say greatsword is boring we are talking performance, not looks.

> > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > @"Dace.8173" said:

> > > > @"Carighan.6758" said:

> > > > > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > > > > We dont need a shiro copycat power dps legend, but something more unique to make a new way of playing the class as Especs is intended for.

> > > >

> > > > You know what I'd want? Or rather accept, as far as a Greatsword goes?

> > > > An *active* pet class. Make it an... Animancer. Someone who can, Guardian-style-but-more, animate a weapon to fight for them. New weapon can then be Greatsword, whatever.

> > > > Point is, they don't have weapon skills anyhow. Instead 1-5 become the pet control skills, and that pet has the autoattack and all, separate from me. But it has to be babysitted and controlled, because it's 90% of what I can do, only it is vulnerable and won't do anything on its own.

> > >

> > > AIs in this game tend to suck. Not sure that would work out very well.

> > >

> >

> > I agree. AI has never really worked in this game. I can't see it working especially in PvP, turning it into Kalla 2.0.

> >

> > > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > > > @"Carighan.6758" said:

> > > > List of weapons which would be utterly boring to get because everyone and their mother already has them:

> > > >

> > > > 1. Greatsword.

> > >

> > > Has to be said once again, Greatswords are -boring-. Play a warrior or guardian or reaper if you want to use one. Dont force such a bland weapon upon unconventional revenants, they dont need it. We dont need a shiro copycat power dps legend, but something more unique to make a new way of playing the class as Especs is intended for.

> >

> > You keep on saying Greatswords are boring. That's just your opinion, not a fact.

> > In my opinion the caster weapons like sceptres are even more bland.

> > The only "unconventional" weapon revenants use is the ranged hammer

> @"Dace.8173" said:

> Except Scepter has one of the most versatile move sets in the game, thanks to Elementalist. You may be able to say it looks bland but its performance is far from bland. When we say greatsword is boring we are talking performance, not looks.

Yeah, but you could change the Scepter into any other spellcaster weapon and the effects could stay the same. Atleast you are using a greatsword and not just holding the weapon up in the air to cast something. That's what i mean with bland, it doesn't have any presonality.

> @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > @"Dace.8173" said:

> > > > > @"Carighan.6758" said:

> > > > > > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > > > > > We dont need a shiro copycat power dps legend, but something more unique to make a new way of playing the class as Especs is intended for.

> > > > >

> > > > > You know what I'd want? Or rather accept, as far as a Greatsword goes?

> > > > > An *active* pet class. Make it an... Animancer. Someone who can, Guardian-style-but-more, animate a weapon to fight for them. New weapon can then be Greatsword, whatever.

> > > > > Point is, they don't have weapon skills anyhow. Instead 1-5 become the pet control skills, and that pet has the autoattack and all, separate from me. But it has to be babysitted and controlled, because it's 90% of what I can do, only it is vulnerable and won't do anything on its own.

> > > >

> > > > AIs in this game tend to suck. Not sure that would work out very well.

> > > >

> > >

> > > I agree. AI has never really worked in this game. I can't see it working especially in PvP, turning it into Kalla 2.0.

> > >

> > > > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > > > > @"Carighan.6758" said:

> > > > > List of weapons which would be utterly boring to get because everyone and their mother already has them:

> > > > >

> > > > > 1. Greatsword.

> > > >

> > > > Has to be said once again, Greatswords are -boring-. Play a warrior or guardian or reaper if you want to use one. Dont force such a bland weapon upon unconventional revenants, they dont need it. We dont need a shiro copycat power dps legend, but something more unique to make a new way of playing the class as Especs is intended for.

> > >

> > > You keep on saying Greatswords are boring. That's just your opinion, not a fact.

> > > In my opinion the caster weapons like sceptres are even more bland.

> > > The only "unconventional" weapon revenants use is the ranged hammer

>

> > @"Dace.8173" said:

> > Except Scepter has one of the most versatile move sets in the game, thanks to Elementalist. You may be able to say it looks bland but its performance is far from bland. When we say greatsword is boring we are talking performance, not looks.

>

> Yeah, but you could change the Scepter into any other spellcaster weapon and the effects could stay the same. Atleast you are using a greatsword and not just holding the weapon up in the air to cast something. That's what i mean with bland, it doesn't have any presonality.

>

Except they haven't. So that doesn't matter. It has a unique set of things it does. I am discussing the scepter, as it is presented, in this game. What they could do doesn't nullify what they have done. What they could do does not counter an argument based on what has been done. You could change the greatsword into any other melee weapon and the effects stay the same. That's really a fatuous argument.

As for personality, really? By your very definition of what's bland the greatsword fits. You've effectively defined bland as how the weapon gets used. Since most uses of the great sword involved hitting people it is no different in function from holding a weapon up in the air. Unless your definition for bland is ranged attack vs melee attack but that definition for bland is truly uninspired. It also makes a definition of a weapon with personality as uninspired. You're loosely definition for personality seems to be melee vs caster which is just silly. So if they gave you a greatsword that they held up in the air and cast something would it still be bland and lack personality? Because that's what the Mesmer greatsword does. If the Mesmer greatsword has personality and isn't bland then it defeats your previous definition for bland (and I quote "not just holding the weapon up in the air to cast something. That's what i mean with bland, it doesn't have any presonality"). If the Mesmer greatsword, on the other hand, counts then clearly holding a weapon in the air is not bland. You strip everything away from Mesmer greatsword and it's just another weapon in the air to cast something.

So which is it? Where does Mesmer fall? No matter how you answer the weapon, based on your ill-defined terms will violate one aspect of what you have, thus far, stated as having personality.

> @"Dace.8173" said:

> > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > @"Dace.8173" said:

> > > > > > @"Carighan.6758" said:

> > > > > > > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > > > > > > We dont need a shiro copycat power dps legend, but something more unique to make a new way of playing the class as Especs is intended for.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > You know what I'd want? Or rather accept, as far as a Greatsword goes?

> > > > > > An *active* pet class. Make it an... Animancer. Someone who can, Guardian-style-but-more, animate a weapon to fight for them. New weapon can then be Greatsword, whatever.

> > > > > > Point is, they don't have weapon skills anyhow. Instead 1-5 become the pet control skills, and that pet has the autoattack and all, separate from me. But it has to be babysitted and controlled, because it's 90% of what I can do, only it is vulnerable and won't do anything on its own.

> > > > >

> > > > > AIs in this game tend to suck. Not sure that would work out very well.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I agree. AI has never really worked in this game. I can't see it working especially in PvP, turning it into Kalla 2.0.

> > > >

> > > > > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > > > > > @"Carighan.6758" said:

> > > > > > List of weapons which would be utterly boring to get because everyone and their mother already has them:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > 1. Greatsword.

> > > > >

> > > > > Has to be said once again, Greatswords are -boring-. Play a warrior or guardian or reaper if you want to use one. Dont force such a bland weapon upon unconventional revenants, they dont need it. We dont need a shiro copycat power dps legend, but something more unique to make a new way of playing the class as Especs is intended for.

> > > >

> > > > You keep on saying Greatswords are boring. That's just your opinion, not a fact.

> > > > In my opinion the caster weapons like sceptres are even more bland.

> > > > The only "unconventional" weapon revenants use is the ranged hammer

> >

> > > @"Dace.8173" said:

> > > Except Scepter has one of the most versatile move sets in the game, thanks to Elementalist. You may be able to say it looks bland but its performance is far from bland. When we say greatsword is boring we are talking performance, not looks.

> >

> > Yeah, but you could change the Scepter into any other spellcaster weapon and the effects could stay the same. Atleast you are using a greatsword and not just holding the weapon up in the air to cast something. That's what i mean with bland, it doesn't have any presonality.

> >

>

> Except they haven't. So that doesn't matter. It has a unique set of things it does. I am discussing the scepter, as it is presented, in this game. What they could do doesn't nullify what they have done. What they could do does not counter an argument based on what has been done. You could change the greatsword into any other melee weapon and the effects stay the same. That's really a fatuous argument.

>

> As for personality, really? By your very definition of what's bland the greatsword fits. You've effectively defined bland as how the weapon gets used. Since most uses of the great sword involved hitting people it is no different in function from holding a weapon up in the air. Unless your definition for bland is ranged attack vs melee attack but that definition for bland is truly uninspired. It also makes a definition of a weapon with personality as uninspired. You're loosely definition for personality seems to be melee vs caster which is just silly. So if they gave you a greatsword that they held up in the air and cast something would it still be bland and lack personality? Because that's what the Mesmer greatsword does. If the Mesmer greatsword has personality and isn't bland then it defeats your previous definition for bland (and I quote "not just holding the weapon up in the air to cast something. That's what i mean with bland, it doesn't have any presonality"). If the Mesmer greatsword, on the other hand, counts then clearly holding a weapon in the air is not bland. You strip everything away from Mesmer greatsword and it's just another weapon in the air to cast something.

>

> So which is it? Where does Mesmer fall? No matter how you answer the weapon, based on your ill-defined terms will violate one aspect of what you have, thus far, stated as having personality.

Except the mesmer greatsword clearly uses greatsword in their animations. Same for the revenant hammer, it clearly uses hammers. Sceptre? Just summon some rocks that clearly have nothing to do with the weapon type.

bland: lacking strong features or characteristics and therefore uninteresting. / showing no strong emotion.

Fits the sceptre.

Well, a mid-ranged GS could be something weeb-like. A laido kind of draw-your-sword style where the blade shoots some energy or mist waves that could cleave. The only character that would fit there would bei Marjorys sister in this kind of style.

On the other hand, why did no one mention Prince Rurik? I know he was kinda dumb, but he was a big part in GW1, when there was no Cantha or Elona.

But tbh Jora would be one of the best ideas I think. But style-wise it wouldn't fit without being some more crude and brutal style like the warriors GS.