Changes to Istan Meta Farming (Discussion)

They reduced volatile magic per chest to... less than 20 (previously up to 50)??? Well, that seals it, ANet was totally after the way the market was being hit by all that VM gathering, though this change was really severe.

So, which might be the next best place now to gather VM? (be it through farming or a once-a-day activity)

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I step into Istan when I really need gold but that's rare when I'm really grinding for the sake of grind like that.

Istan is definitely my favorite of the Living World Season 4 meta events. There's something really unique and fun about instead of some static boss that barely moves, to actually build the event around raid (Literally not MMORPG raid) literally rushing through the city on mounts grabbing everything they can before disappearing in the night. I wouldn't mind it being a bit better than the other farms just because compared to everything else in LWS4 it's just the most fun, even if a lot of people are sick of it because they've done it hundreds of times.

> @"Hirukaru.4539" said:

> wrong way to fix something.

>

> better is making is 7x 30 pala and 7x GH per week.

> this makes it so that players who play weekends only can do a few runs in the weekend.

> However this change will maybe kill istan, too few people to do the content is no content at all. (only fully organized groups will go) way too late to try and fix it should have done within a month of release.

Might not be a bad idea to have some resource that relaxes time gating a little in general. Like, have a bar that fills 10% each day at server reset (whether or not the account logs in). Then consume that bar to give a second, third, etc. shot at (some) daily-gated rewards, mostly those that would have to be earned again (so a meta chest, but not a JP chest). Small rewards could consume a little, big ones would consume a lot.

Basically, it would be a way to find a middle ground between endlessly farming a single piece of content on one hand, and having content be completely unrewarding after a single go, on the other. It could also be helpful for people with more sporadic schedules.

> @"Rhein.8197" said:

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > @"Rhein.8197" said:

> > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > @"Rhein.8197" said:

> > > > > > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > > > > > @"Rhein.8197" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Empanda.4617" said:

> > > > > > > > So ok I understand why you'd want to nerf istan but I'd just like to say Anet, you released the new chapter, full of bugs and crashes. You haven't fixed THAT yet, but you want to change istan, a map grind that people actually enjoy. Now its hard not to be salty about this after experiencing the new chapter and all the bugs, glitches and crashes. Are you POSITIVE, you want to change istan before you fix that new map and story instances where people can get stuck in rocks and crystals in the story instances, dwarven plates don't drop all the time or drop multiple time for the same person messing it up for the other players who need it? Are you POSITIVE you want to change it before you change the fact that you've released broken material that you expect us to be ok with? Like don't get me wrong the istan grind is OP, but at least its not SO broken it's not enjoyable like the new map is. I think you should look at the bad broken map and story you've released before dislocating hundreds of players from their happy grinding area. Now as a coder I know its not that simple, but as a player I have to say this isn't the best way to make your players happy at the moment.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > I know this may not be the most popular opinion either.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > This 1000000x. Some of the bugs are just unacceptable, especially given the lack of response to certain bugs (I'm starting to think the DB weapon issues will never be resolved). And I think it's a shame that someone has to tag their posts with "I know this may not be the most popular opinion". Like, why is that? Because the player base is largely just as apathetic as ANet about the game's issues because they're jaded by years of bugs? Whatever. It's sad to see anyone discussing Istan when the latest content is simply not in order.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > So a bug that exists for hardly 2 weeks makes you think it will never get fixed? Something they can't just activate a switch on that will magically fix it? Really? They've acknowledged several of the bugs and they're working on them. This is useless doomsaying though.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Actually, that was hyperbole, but since you asked: It's within the real of possibility. What evidence do you have that the bugs will be fixed? If so, which bugs, and why?

> > > >

> > > > Ouch ... that's harsh. We know bugs get fixed. Which ones? Just speculation but the ones that are most harmful to the game most likely. I mean, lets not talk like Anet just lets bugs just linger around.

> > > >

> > >

> > > "We sincerely appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Currently, we are aware of this issue and are going to continue investigating. *Unfortunately, we currently do not have an ETA on a solution*. Be sure to keep your eyes on any upcoming patch notes for hotfixes! *I'm afraid we not able to grant the item or achievement*, but we sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding while we work this out!"

> > >

> > > This is an example of a response for DB weapons bug. Sounds like lingering to me. Also, I bet they can't grant the necessary items or achievements.

> >

> > I won't debate with you what lingering means. If you think Anet doesn't care about bugs and just let's them hang around because of that, it's because you want to believe it. There are lots of examples of bugs that Anet did fix, so the idea they just randomly let some linger is disingenuous.

>

> There's no need to debate it because I am (and have been) completely honest about the fact I believe they launched the product (that is, the latest LS installment) without testing it and figured they would have the players debug it for them (leading to long waits for "solutions"). You heard it here first. I'm not trying to sound harsh, or even angry, but definitely concise and honest.

>

> Also, IMO, there's also no debating the fact that given the messy launch, fixing Istan to maintain some daily quality of life concept the company has going on is, at the very least, worthy* of some eye rolling.

Believing you are honest doesn't have any correlation to whether Anet fixes bugs or let's them linger. Yes, there were noticeably more bugs in the recent release. Again, that has no correlation to whether Anet fixes bugs or let's them linger. If you want to convince yourself Anet is lackadaisical about fixing bugs, I can't change that. But there is lots of evidence that suggests Anet does fix bugs, including the patch we have today. A few that take longer to fix or are not a priority to fix right away is not 'lingering'.

> @"Jeknar.6184" said:

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > @"Jeknar.6184" said:

> > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > I mean, lets not talk like Anet just lets bugs just linger around.

> > >

> > > Dolyaks in WvW get desync'ed of their position when returning to camps since 2012...

> >

> > That's not proof Anet doesn't address bugs though.

>

> Indeed it's not... It would be unfair for me to say Anet **NEVER** adress any bugs in the game... But it's also unfair to say Anet **ALWAYS** fix the bugs in the game when there are 6 years bugs lingering about...

Glad I never claimed they ALWAYS fix the bugs. I stated before a very reasonable and sensible approach to how bugs are dealt with. They likely get assigned priority based on how badly they impact the game. The only reason I can think of that people want to rub Anet's nose in the dirt because of bugs is because they are salty and bitter ... or they don't get that the people that deal with the bugs are probably not the same people that make content. So when people QQ that Anet is making new content instead of fixing bugs, they clearly have no idea what they are talking about.

Well, yes, actually, 'linger' does mean it remains for awhile. That would fall into your own category of ' A few that take longer to fix or are not a priority to fix right away ' in fact, that is the definition of linger.

to remain or stay on in a place longer than is usual or expected, When something such as an idea, feeling, or illness lingers, it continues to exist for a long time, often much longer than expected.

> @"Eekasqueak.7850" said:

> I'm confident people will still just find a new farm after the nerfs. Only a matter of time really.

They will, and then if that one gets too lucrative, it'll get nerfed, and the cycle will begin anew. These course corrections for the market may be artificial in a way that real-world market course corrections typically aren't, but that makes them no less necessary. It's human nature to look for the easiest acquisition of wealth, but similar to the course corrections, the generation of wealth in a game is also artificial.

There's a constant push-and-pull between these two opposing forces: player acquisition of wealth and economic course corrections by TPTB. Evening that push and pull is the "balance" the devs are looking to get as close to as they can. It is not simply a matter of balancing between maps or meta events or the various places people play, Gaile's unfortunate phrasing to the contrary, although I'm sure those things are a part of the decision. But economic nerfing is a thing. Because these forces are never static, they require constant adjustment.

So nerfing has always been a thing, and it's always going to be a thing. For good reason.

> @"TexZero.7910" said:

> It's a good move about 6 months too late.

>

> Now they just need to hit Silverwaste again too.

Why nerf SW too? The PoF expansion already nerfed SW by default (items in SW are worth crap now compared to what they were before PoF came out). Also it's a central Tyria map, so it would be like spitting in the faces of people that try to play the game f2p. SW is good the way it is in my opinion, regardless of what happens to any expansion maps.

> @"Skotlex.7580" said:

> ANet may not be that adverse to such activities existing, but it seems now clear that they don't want a few popular farm trains that are notoriously better than the rest to exist (or at least, to exist in an 24/7 format)

What people want are things that are fun, rewarding, can be done by lots of people together and can be done at any time they like for however long they like

That's what Istan was. The Hall and Palawadan metas were fun, and people could make money from them if they needed it

If Anet doesn't want farms to happen, what are people suppose to do to make money?

> @"Jura.2170" said:

> If Anet doesn't want farms to happen, what are people suppose to do to make money?

originally, I wouldn't do anything special, I'd just make money through playing whatever content I felt like playing, and the gold came.

Nowadays, I realize there are farms and content which is much more efficient to provide me with gold.

It's just my guess, but maybe ANet doesn't want the gap between farmers and casual players to be that large, as otherwise it makes any money gotten through casual means to be paltry contrasted to what optimized farming does.

I suppose that ANet's answer to the farmer's plight seen in this thread will be the eventual filling of the "GW2 wiki event timers" page, so that at any time players will have something to do (which to a certain extend is already true when you consider the length of some metas like dragon's stand...).

> @"Jura.2170" said:

> > @"Skotlex.7580" said:

> > ANet may not be that adverse to such activities existing, but it seems now clear that they don't want a few popular farm trains that are notoriously better than the rest to exist (or at least, to exist in an 24/7 format)

>

> What people want are things that are fun, rewarding, can be done by lots of people together and can be done at any time they like for however long they like

>

> That's what Istan was. The Hall and Palawadan metas were fun, and people could make money from them if they needed it

>

> If Anet doesn't want farms to happen, what are people suppose to do to make money?

>

>

You can farm Palawadan once each day. Then u can move to some other farming map and then....well u may even think about stop farming for a while, isn't it? :D Good thing about Guild Wars 2 is that u can do a lot of stuff (both for money and fun, for money only or fun only), everything with lots of people togheter ;) The only difference with this update imo, is that we'll see lesser "corean style grinding over and over" play style in a map... (no offense to corean friends intended, ofc ^^ ) .

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > @"Rhein.8197" said:

> > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > @"Rhein.8197" said:

> > > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > > @"Rhein.8197" said:

> > > > > > > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Rhein.8197" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Empanda.4617" said:

> > > > > > > > > So ok I understand why you'd want to nerf istan but I'd just like to say Anet, you released the new chapter, full of bugs and crashes. You haven't fixed THAT yet, but you want to change istan, a map grind that people actually enjoy. Now its hard not to be salty about this after experiencing the new chapter and all the bugs, glitches and crashes. Are you POSITIVE, you want to change istan before you fix that new map and story instances where people can get stuck in rocks and crystals in the story instances, dwarven plates don't drop all the time or drop multiple time for the same person messing it up for the other players who need it? Are you POSITIVE you want to change it before you change the fact that you've released broken material that you expect us to be ok with? Like don't get me wrong the istan grind is OP, but at least its not SO broken it's not enjoyable like the new map is. I think you should look at the bad broken map and story you've released before dislocating hundreds of players from their happy grinding area. Now as a coder I know its not that simple, but as a player I have to say this isn't the best way to make your players happy at the moment.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > I know this may not be the most popular opinion either.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > This 1000000x. Some of the bugs are just unacceptable, especially given the lack of response to certain bugs (I'm starting to think the DB weapon issues will never be resolved). And I think it's a shame that someone has to tag their posts with "I know this may not be the most popular opinion". Like, why is that? Because the player base is largely just as apathetic as ANet about the game's issues because they're jaded by years of bugs? Whatever. It's sad to see anyone discussing Istan when the latest content is simply not in order.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > So a bug that exists for hardly 2 weeks makes you think it will never get fixed? Something they can't just activate a switch on that will magically fix it? Really? They've acknowledged several of the bugs and they're working on them. This is useless doomsaying though.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Actually, that was hyperbole, but since you asked: It's within the real of possibility. What evidence do you have that the bugs will be fixed? If so, which bugs, and why?

> > > > >

> > > > > Ouch ... that's harsh. We know bugs get fixed. Which ones? Just speculation but the ones that are most harmful to the game most likely. I mean, lets not talk like Anet just lets bugs just linger around.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > "We sincerely appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Currently, we are aware of this issue and are going to continue investigating. *Unfortunately, we currently do not have an ETA on a solution*. Be sure to keep your eyes on any upcoming patch notes for hotfixes! *I'm afraid we not able to grant the item or achievement*, but we sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding while we work this out!"

> > > >

> > > > This is an example of a response for DB weapons bug. Sounds like lingering to me. Also, I bet they can't grant the necessary items or achievements.

> > >

> > > I won't debate with you what lingering means. If you think Anet doesn't care about bugs and just let's them hang around because of that, it's because you want to believe it. There are lots of examples of bugs that Anet did fix, so the idea they just randomly let some linger is disingenuous.

> >

> > There's no need to debate it because I am (and have been) completely honest about the fact I believe they launched the product (that is, the latest LS installment) without testing it and figured they would have the players debug it for them (leading to long waits for "solutions"). You heard it here first. I'm not trying to sound harsh, or even angry, but definitely concise and honest.

> >

> > Also, IMO, there's also no debating the fact that given the messy launch, fixing Istan to maintain some daily quality of life concept the company has going on is, at the very least, worthy* of some eye rolling.

>

> Believing you are honest doesn't have any correlation to whether Anet fixes bugs or let's them linger. Yes, there were noticeably more bugs in the recent release. Again, that has no correlation to whether Anet fixes bugs or let's them linger. If you want to convince yourself Anet is lackadaisical about fixing bugs, I can't change that. But there is lots of evidence that suggests Anet does fix bugs, including the patch we have today. A few that take longer to fix or are not a priority to fix right away is not 'lingering'.

>

> > @"Jeknar.6184" said:

> > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > @"Jeknar.6184" said:

> > > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > I mean, lets not talk like Anet just lets bugs just linger around.

> > > >

> > > > Dolyaks in WvW get desync'ed of their position when returning to camps since 2012...

> > >

> > > That's not proof Anet doesn't address bugs though.

> >

> > Indeed it's not... It would be unfair for me to say Anet **NEVER** adress any bugs in the game... But it's also unfair to say Anet **ALWAYS** fix the bugs in the game when there are 6 years bugs lingering about...

>

> Glad I never claimed they ALWAYS fix the bugs. I stated before a very reasonable and sensible approach to how bugs are dealt with. They likely get assigned priority based on how badly they impact the game. The only reason I can think of that people want to rub Anet's nose in the dirt because of bugs is because they are salty and bitter ... or they don't get that the people that deal with the bugs are probably not the same people that make content. So when people QQ that Anet is making new content instead of fixing bugs, they clearly have no idea what they are talking about.

GW2 is largely a free experience that doesn't churn out new content as often as its competitors. With a limited amount of items to collect and story to do, achievements, gold requirements, and other grind-inducing elements are incorporated into the gameplay to give it more lifespan. As a result, players look to farms like Istan (which are optional) to help reduce the grind. Keep in mind Istan *does not* easily eliminate grind, it just means you'll spend more time doing one thing and other events will be ignored, which means Tyria doesn't function as intended given the "Dynamic Events" concept GW2 relies upon. GW2 developers want to have it all. They don't want to charge money for new content (so we could have more, less buggy content maybe), so they make you grind for content, and they want to control the way you do it.

The expectations we set for all of these issues (bug fixes, daily life cycle strategies, farm killing, etc.) are totally subjective. As you astutely pointed out, these different parts of the game are handled by different teams. It's up to Anet to move cohesively and efficiently-- not players. Players issue feedback regarding how much that goal is being met in the form of money and attention. I don't honestly care who handles PvE farming and who programs the fixes. It isn't unreasonable at all to be disappointed with the way LS5 is being handled and point out that the Istan nerf could've at least waited.

You bring up the patch we had today and it took me 2 seconds to find a fix that doesn't work for everyone. It's just a fix for players who haven't started the particular weapon collection yet. If ANet's teams are so disorganized that they didn't anticipate this problem in advance, then that's on them. Having moderators run around the forums acting surprised doesn't help either. The patch today tells me ANet is basically interested in you rolling alts to experience their content after bugs happen (which they actually explicitly told me when I couldn't access the new map a week ago). Like, does this game have ANY in game moderators or just forum moderators?

Edit: Also, you're correct about the correlation. But that wasn't the point. The point of that statement was simply that I'm well aware of my bias and my definition of lingering should be abundantly clear by now and also be interpreted as fairly negative.

My reaction to all of this continues to be the same: whatever. I'm done spending any money on GW2 for now.

I don't even know how to respond to that .. Anet fixes bugs and if you play the game so you have to 'grind' by running around like a sheep in Istan, that's your choice. Certainly nothing in the game REQUIRES that behaviour. I won't tell anyone how to play but if that's how you interact with the game, I don't think you understand the game you play ... which is why you don't get why Istan change is a good one.

Bugs they don't fix immediately aren't there with the intention to linger as a conspiracy theory to keep you from playing and enjoying the game. I don't care if you don't spend money or not, but I do care if you're just going to be salty because you experience bugs or make assumptions about how Anet allocates their resources. you don't know the division of labour, so to assume one thing is happening at the expense of another isn't a valid complaint.

> @"Etria.3642" said:

> Well, yes, actually, 'linger' does mean it remains for awhile. That would fall into your own category of ' A few that take longer to fix or are not a priority to fix right away ' in fact, that is the definition of linger.

>

> to remain or stay on in a place longer than is usual or expected, When something such as an idea, feeling, or illness lingers, it continues to exist for a long time, often much longer **than expected**.

Highlighted the valid differentiator for you ... NO one should have some length of time that a bug should be fixed. That's why I feel they don't 'linger'. No one can say how long it should take to fix a bug, so there shouldn't be any expectations for when any particular one has lingered.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> I don't even know how to respond to that .. Anet fixes bugs and if you play the game so you have to 'grind' by running around like a sheep in Istan, that's your choice. Certainly nothing in the game REQUIRES that behaviour. I won't tell anyone how to play but if that's how you interact with the game, I don't think you understand the game you play ... which is why you don't get why Istan change is a good one.

>

> Bugs they don't fix immediately aren't there with the intention to linger as a conspiracy theory to keep you from playing and enjoying the game. I don't care if you don't spend money or not, but I do care if you're just going to be salty because you experience bugs or make assumptions about how Anet allocates their resources. you don't know the division of labour, so to assume one thing is happening at the expense of another isn't a valid complaint.

Many unique weapons and armors are gated behind a grind-- whether by time, materials, or gold. You can say its optional to get ascended gear, but ascended gear is important for strategic group play. This is only one example that makes your point null. Grind is an inevitable part of GW2, and the nerf to Istan only serves to knock out one way people are grinding effectively. You say you can't respond, but you did? "You don't understand the game you're playing"...you're basically just saying we should be okay with ANet steamrolling Istan so that play is diversified more across Tyria...which I literally already went over.

I don't have a conspiracy theory. I just said ANet assumes we will roll alts to redo content, which is true. ANet does fix bugs, just not all bugs. You should care if players spend money, without money the game doesn't exist. Not salty, just stating the obvious.

You're going to have to define grind then because all ascended gear can be crafted simply by the mats you earn playing the game (i.e., not needing to grind anything) or purchase off the TP. If you grind for mats, it's because you CHOOSE that path to get the mats for the gear you want, not because you NEED to play that way.

> @"VanHalenRules.5243" said:

> > @"TexZero.7910" said:

> > It's a good move about 6 months too late.

> >

> > Now they just need to hit Silverwaste again too.

>

> Why nerf SW too? The PoF expansion already nerfed SW by default (items in SW are worth kitten now compared to what they were before PoF came out). Also it's a central Tyria map, so it would be like spitting in the faces of people that try to play the game f2p. SW is good the way it is in my opinion, regardless of what happens to any expansion maps.

Because it's still too profitable compared to other maps.

Once istan goes, everyone and their mother will be back in SW. They need to premeptively address it and limit it in the same maner so that it's a part of something you do that day, not the entire day.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> You're going to have to define grind then because all ascended gear can be crafted simply by the mats you earn playing the game (i.e., not needing to grind anything) or purchase off the TP. If you grind for mats, it's because you CHOOSE that path to get the mats for the gear you want, not because you NEED to play that way.

Ok. Let's say you just play the game for materials...aren't you then just grinding different events, or farming?

If players thought that just playing the game, traversing Tyria, was time well spent then they wouldn't grind Istan in the first place. Grinding Istan is done because the material and gold requirements for commonly desired things, like a Griffon mount being 250g for example, are demanding. You might say "but why is this optional content so important"? Because it's clearly what defines the post 80 experience: upgrading your character and items to make the repetitive endgame enjoyable. You may also say "Griffons should be 250 gold, that makes them more rare and unique" but clearly the majority of players don't find that affordable/reasonable or they wouldn't grind metas to obtain it. As I said earlier, new content is slow, therefore people start doing collections and crafting.

You've already heard it in this thread echoed: World events are not rewarding enough. And the elimination of Istan just means something else will be "exploited". This is just another way of saying required mats and gold are too high. All of this is just leading back to the Gem Store. If GW2 ends up like you suggest it should be, players will become exhausted by depending on RNG/farming for everything, and end up buying more nodes/boosters/gold to compensate. Hopefully in the future when GW2 finally reaches that terrible point where it's the only option left to craft a decent ascended set/get a griffon/whatever, sensible people not opt to spend their $$$ or 6 months trying to earn enough gold and mats just to craft an ascended set (or heaven forbid some other collection), and drop the game if necessary.

Yeah from what I've seen its been reduced to only once a day and then all rewards were reduced by 75% was a definate hard nerf to get people to not playing it anymore. They mostly just want people to do alt farming at heart vendors for vm now to nerf it into the ground like they did with unbound magic.

Along with the last episode story ending and this I think my time with gw2 and anet has ran its course have fun with whatever is left to have fun with.