Sylvari Cultural Armor

TheLadyOfTheRings.9148

> @"TheLadyOfTheRings.9148" said:

> I'm curious. Lore speaking, do sylvari feel uncomfortable wearing non-cultural armor? Do they prefer their cultural armor? Or are they indifferent to what armor they wear as long as it's good quality armor?

As far as I've seen, there's no canonical answer to this. In the absence of ANet responding, you can presume any reasonably plausible answer (and probably some unreasonable ones, too).

Since we see Sylvari in-game with non-cultural armor skins, I would imagine the answer is: that depends.

Some sylvari are fine in non-cultural, some are not. Some don a uniform because them's the rules, and some enjoy representing. There are probably as many answers to the question as there are sylvari.

You're all probably wearing plants on you right now as cotton comes from plants. If atleast your underwear isn't, I feel sorry for your man- and/or ladyparts.

In what form it is probably matters little for the Sylvari.

As a side thought, the Pale Tree would probably make sick gold by starting to spam tons of cotton clothing for Tyrians to use.

If I had to guess, I'd say it varies depending on the plant you're talking to. For instance, some Sylvari NPCs claim to dislike the cold/snow while others like the feel of it crunching under their feet and claim 'it doesn't bother' them.

Societal norms certainly exist, but Sylvari are very much individual people with individual tastes.

The impression I've always had, based on observation of NPCs (half the population of the Grove is walking around naked or nearly so) and reading Sylvari lore, is that Sylvari pretty much are hippy naturists when it comes to clothes. Which makes sense if you think about it. They are generally resistant to weather; their ideas of love, sex, and body image aren't tied to acts of reproduction; and their race is too young to have developed the silly cultural hangups of other races. Therefore most Sylvari tend to wear clothes for one of three purposes:

- Practicality, like armor for battle, with the practical clothes probably coming off in private or relaxed times.

- As decoration or individual expression. As others said, just matters of personal preference.

- To keep the other races -- especially humans -- from being embarrassed in their presence.

> @"Jimbru.6014" said:

> The impression I've always had, based on observation of NPCs (half the population of the Grove is walking around naked or nearly so) and reading Sylvari lore, is that Sylvari pretty much are hippy naturists when it comes to clothes. Which makes sense if you think about it. They are generally resistant to weather; their ideas of love, sex, and body image aren't tied to acts of reproduction; and their race is too young to have developed the silly cultural hangups of other races. Therefore most Sylvari tend to wear clothes for one of three purposes:

>

> - Practicality, like armor for battle, with the practical clothes probably coming off in private or relaxed times.

> - As decoration or individual expression. As others said, just matters of personal preference.

> - To keep the other races -- especially humans -- from being embarrassed in their presence.

No one in the Grove is close to being naked. Clothing you grow is still clothing. And we don't know the rate at which non-Mordrem Guard can magically alter their bodies, but killing one set of clothes every time you relax seems impractical.