"imposter syndrome" achievement

Jojo.6140

I've been doing this for near the same amount as Malediktus.9250. I did see him getting his done. It does feel infuratiing to say the least, as for doing it around 50 times, carrying out those pre-events. In all honesty it should be done by simply taking take down your own elite or veteran, or enforce by participation for those who gather the most to be picked as chosen. But then I'd sense people would still leave after. Feels really bad to see players who're mostly afk on wp getting selected.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @Jojo.6140 said:

> > @Myriah.4732 said:

> > it's purely random but i hope anet can change this with giving the success to the kill of elite that apparently spawn when players are on the orange circle

>

> Tbh the description of the achievement kinda says that it should be that way. Ive reported it as a bug now just in case.

I create a ticket to the support like you do. If you have some news about this i'm interesting. It's very frustrating to participate to all of the event for nothing. For the last past day i will do the event 6 or 7 times by day in case of beeing choose.

If anet can answer about this achievment and if it's really bug or if they are some priorities for us to be pick as the legendary?

Hi,

Someone ask the question on the reddit AMA apparently it's a bug :

Any information as to whether the "imposter syndrome"-achievement in Elon Riverlands is working as intended? It says to kill a clone of yourself, but currently only the doppelganger itself counts wich makes that an extremely rng-based and frustrating achievement.

[–]anet_stevens 45 points il y a 1 jour

The designer behind this achievement isn't on reddit, but word from them on this: it should work with any clone of yourself in the fight. This sounds like a bug, and we'll try and dig into this. Thank you!

So just wait until this bug was corrected.

I do not think the solution to the problem is making all clones count - I roughly see 10 clones of me per fight (minis, veterans, elites). So it would just be an additional 5 AP to the 10 AP you get for beating the doppelganger the first time.

Making the chance to have you as a legendary doppelganger depend on your meta event contribution would be the only thing that makes sense if this achievement should be worth anything. Otherwise just delete it and make the doppelganger event achievement 15 AP instead of 10...

chance based on event contribution makes perfect sense, it would certainly annoy me too if some random zergling came along and took glory at the final stage for just turning up and firing off a few moves to leech some exp; although if it's supposed to work with any clone then no point complaining until the bugfix is sent out eh?

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> It's a cutesy, optional achievement. Why is it a big deal if it takes 100 attempts to get it? The Saving Tarir achievement literally takes 100 attempts and since Octovine never was that interesting to me, I'm still only halfway done.

because in terms of octovine you know you kill the boss 100 times and you get the reward

in this case, someone can be the first to be chosen (Abaddon's Luck) or still not be chosen after 500 attempts, random/luck doesn't equate a fixed amount of attempts

> @Ayakaru.6583 said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > It's a cutesy, optional achievement. Why is it a big deal if it takes 100 attempts to get it? The Saving Tarir achievement literally takes 100 attempts and since Octovine never was that interesting to me, I'm still only halfway done.

>

> because in terms of octovine you know you kill the boss 100 times and you get the reward

> in this case, someone can be the first to be chosen (Abaddon's Luck) or still not be chosen after 500 attempts, random/luck doesn't equate a fixed amount of attempts

That's precisely the difference between RNG and a fixed (but very high) number: I far prefer a chance that I might get the achievement in less than two dozen tries than Octovine, where I can't possibly get it with fewer than 99. It strikes me as reasonable that some achievements favor those like yourself who like knowing exactly how long it might take and some that favor folks such as I who prefer the chance that it might not take "forever" (from our perspective).

The people who have succesfully completed this achievement shouldnt be allowed to be picked again. I got this achievement and like cpl of hours i was picked again. I too relogged to cause a reroll so other people could have a chance. And nope i didnt help in the gather event so thats no factor in being chosen. Completely rng and be lucky i'd guess.

Some updates

I see on the AMA on reddit that this achievment is actualy bug

[–]intrepid-stats 20 points il y a 5 jours

Any information as to whether the "imposter syndrome"-achievement in Elon Riverlands is working as intended? It says to kill a clone of yourself, but currently only the doppelganger itself counts wich makes that an extremely rng-based and frustrating achievement.

perma-lienembedenregistrersignalerdorerrépondre

[–]anet_stevens 42 points il y a 5 jours

The designer behind this achievement isn't on reddit, but word from them on this: it should work with any clone of yourself in the fight. This sounds like a bug, and we'll try and dig into this. Thank you!

I hope they resolved this soon

But it's so much fun if you are there with 10 players at a bounty and the crazed doppelganger visits! And the rest of the map arrives and brings 4 more veteran hydras with them. Chaos!

I honestly don't understand the complaints about this. The event plays for everyone. It's just some lousy achievement points.

> @NtBlstr.3506 said:

> chance based on event contribution makes perfect sense, it would certainly annoy me too if some random zergling came along and took glory at the final stage for just turning up and firing off a few moves to leech some exp; although if it's supposed to work with any clone then no point complaining until the bugfix is sent out eh?

But how is contribution measured? Damage, cc, healed allies, time spent, boon uptime? Players coming to an event late and receiving rewards is how it works in GW2. I once got an ascended armor chest after joining the instance for Triple Trouble when the Cobalt head was at 50% health. Shortest TT event for me ever, and still got a nice reward, while others who were there 30 minutes before got no chest.

As long as you don't take anything away from others, it's fine to take advantage of mechanics. It's not like there are only 2 ascended chests for the event and that's it. Everybody has the same chance to get one. And that is the problem with the doppelgänger event: by getting the reward, you are taking it away from others, you compete with others. That's not the spirit of the game at all and therefore I'm convinced that it was never planned that way. It makes perfect sense to have the adds give the achievement too.

I> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @Ayakaru.6583 said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > It's a cutesy, optional achievement. Why is it a big deal if it takes 100 attempts to get it? The Saving Tarir achievement literally takes 100 attempts and since Octovine never was that interesting to me, I'm still only halfway done.

> >

> > because in terms of octovine you know you kill the boss 100 times and you get the reward

> > in this case, someone can be the first to be chosen (Abaddon's Luck) or still not be chosen after 500 attempts, random/luck doesn't equate a fixed amount of attempts

>

> That's precisely the difference between RNG and a fixed (but very high) number: I far prefer a chance that I might get the achievement in less than two dozen tries than Octovine, where I can't possibly get it with fewer than 99. It strikes me as reasonable that some achievements favor those like yourself who like knowing exactly how long it might take and some that favor folks such as I who prefer the chance that it might not take "forever" (from our perspective).

It's like precursors all over again. Some people have played for months and got a few; others have played for years and got none. A friend who's played about 5 months longer than me has never had any but I got 1 a few years ago during an Orr Temple event. At least now we do have a guaranteed, if expensive, route to make our own precursors.

> @Tyger.1637 said:

> I> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @Ayakaru.6583 said:

> > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > It's a cutesy, optional achievement. Why is it a big deal if it takes 100 attempts to get it? The Saving Tarir achievement literally takes 100 attempts and since Octovine never was that interesting to me, I'm still only halfway done.

> > >

> > > because in terms of octovine you know you kill the boss 100 times and you get the reward

> > > in this case, someone can be the first to be chosen (Abaddon's Luck) or still not be chosen after 500 attempts, random/luck doesn't equate a fixed amount of attempts

> >

> > That's precisely the difference between RNG and a fixed (but very high) number: I far prefer a chance that I might get the achievement in less than two dozen tries than Octovine, where I can't possibly get it with fewer than 99. It strikes me as reasonable that some achievements favor those like yourself who like knowing exactly how long it might take and some that favor folks such as I who prefer the chance that it might not take "forever" (from our perspective).

>

> It's like precursors all over again. Some people have played for months and got a few; others have played for years and got none. A friend who's played about 5 months longer than me has never had any but I got 1 a few years ago during an Orr Temple event. At least now we do have a guaranteed, if expensive, route to make our own precursors.

Sounds overdramatic. Droprate for precursors (mystic forge obviously not included since you sacrifice items there) is about 1 in 7500 hours playtime. This is nowhere close.

> @Yoshi.6780 said:

> I did the event at augury rock and killed "myself" multiple times, but didn't get the achievement. Do i have to kill the big one at the end of the event chain, even if it is not me that is chosen?

The achievement is not for the clones that the branded forgotten is creating (the event inside Augury Rock) the achievement is to kill the clones during the fight with the legendary doppelganger that takes place outside

• 1 month later...