GW3 happening? Job title description. Next-generation of games.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, pretty soon it'll be more than WvW to worry about. GW3 will feature a new mode where each of the three games face off against each other in the Mist War.

GW1 won't have any movement capabilities to help them move around the map.

GW2 will have gliding and mounts, if you purchased the respective expansions.

GW3 will let you pay $4.99 per use to instantly teleport to any location.

No, there is no GW3. Why can't people understand this ?

They might replace GW2's engine with a new one, but other than that, the game was designed to last and to be extensible through many expansions and seasons of living world as the devs had said before, they're in it for the long haul.

Their future investments will likely be in other games, new franchises besides Guild Wars.

When I see something like that:

>This is a full time on-site position at our studio in Bellevue, Washington. A casual, friendly work environment, comprehensive benefits package, competitive salary, and more are all part of what makes ArenaNet a great place to work.

Then I stop being surprised why GW2 is missing new, regularly created content so hard.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Let's assume this is about GW3 (it isn't but I'll humor the people who actually believe this).

If they are currently hiring the people for the core infrastructure of the game (aka this is work in progress and at best in the early stages of developement) then there is no way that any MMO would be done within the next 4-5 years. So even IF this were GW3 related, the chance of this having an effect on GW2 in the near future is irrelevant.

Yup, went to look at their job listings some time ago, this phrasing is old.

From what I gather - and this could be wrong - but I think the Guild Wars franchise will end with this game, considering I think we're in the midst of killing off the same big bads which have been around for the first game (I think, because I neither play this game's story nor played GW1).

And to be honest, the whole "But this SUPER bad guy and even bigger threat was really here all along and is now trying to take over the world" cliche is way too overdone in games for me to respect anyone for doing these days.

> @"Hugheszie.6291" said:

> You do realise that if they make a GW3 they'll loose HUGE amounts of their player base and revenue right? A new expansion would be the next step, not a new game.

The launch success of GW2 disagrees with this sentiment. My experience is not many people here, especially now, played GW1.

Revenue actually dropped to all-time lows after the expansions began releasing.

That said, I sincerely doubt they're not releasing GW3, nor are they developing for it, and they probably never will, as much as a restart might be in their best interest.

Either they'll opt for a new franchise or just close the doors.

> @"DeceiverX.8361" said:

> > @"Hugheszie.6291" said:

> > You do realise that if they make a GW3 they'll loose HUGE amounts of their player base and revenue right? A new expansion would be the next step, not a new game.

>

> The launch success of GW2 disagrees with this sentiment. My experience is not many people here, especially now, played GW1.

>

> Revenue actually dropped to all-time lows after the expansions began releasing.

>

> That said, I sincerely doubt they're not releasing GW3, nor are they developing for it, and they probably never will, as much as a restart might be in their best interest.

>

> Either they'll opt for a new franchise or just close the doors.

GW1 was no MMO.

GW2 would be in direct competition with GW3 (if GW3 should be a MMO) and the investment in the gem store has been way higher with GW2 than any additional reward/purchase content in GW1. It is very difficult to convince a consumer who has spent thousands of dollars on a game to change games, especially when it's the same franchise. If we assume that the main target would be GW2 whales, then GW3 can very well backfire.

Simply put: you are comparing apples to oranges.

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > @"DeceiverX.8361" said:

> > > @"Hugheszie.6291" said:

> > > You do realise that if they make a GW3 they'll loose HUGE amounts of their player base and revenue right? A new expansion would be the next step, not a new game.

> >

> > The launch success of GW2 disagrees with this sentiment. My experience is not many people here, especially now, played GW1.

> >

> > Revenue actually dropped to all-time lows after the expansions began releasing.

> >

> > That said, I sincerely doubt they're not releasing GW3, nor are they developing for it, and they probably never will, as much as a restart might be in their best interest.

> >

> > Either they'll opt for a new franchise or just close the doors.

>

> GW1 was no MMO.

>

> GW2 would be in direct competition with GW3 (if GW3 should be a MMO) and the investment in the gem store has been way higher with GW2 than any additional reward/purchase content in GW1. It is very difficult to convince a consumer who has spent thousands of dollars on a game to change games, especially when it's the same franchise. If we assume that the main target would be GW2 whales, then GW3 can very well backfire.

>

> Simply put: you are comparing apples to oranges.

If ANet feels they can profit by offering a better experience than what's out there by catering to a broader scope of customers, then yes, they will compete against themselves.

Did you forget NCSoft - which owns ANet - owns and concurrently runs several MMOs, some of which having similar approaches to combat, all released within similar timeframes?

If there's market potential enough to earn more than the development cost, or ANet sees GW2 as a dying business venture that isn't sustainable, it only makes sense they'd move. Especially because these kinds of things don't get developed overnight. If they started on a new game/franchise now, based on GW2's development time spent in development, even using an engine they had already built from GW1, they'd release near this game's 12-year anniversary. That's a bigger time difference than between GW1 and GW2 by almost a factor of two, and I'm going to go out in a limb and say GW1 had a small playerbase by 2012.

I don't really see how anyone can get upset after putting time and money into this game because of ANet making another one. I mean, the servers could go offline tomorrow for all we know and we'd still lose everything. If a new game is how they're going to get more new people drawn in and earning higher expected profit, they'd be stupid not to.

And if the number of people who would be angry about such a release is so large... the game would remain healthy thanks to dynamic servers/megaservers, and all they'll have to do is reduce their backend if there's a dropoff in players. Instead of three instances of the silverwastes, there only need be one and the load can be moved to fewer servers while the quality of service maintained.

But I sincerely doubt the pool of people who would be angry about a new game with better graphics, smoother gameplay/better hardware utilization, improved and fresh systems, a whole new world and game to experience, a huge influx of players, and so on, would be so upset they just gave up on ANet's products entirely.

> > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > @"DeceiverX.8361" said:

> > > > @"Hugheszie.6291" said:

> > > > You do realise that if they make a GW3 they'll loose HUGE amounts of their player base and revenue right? A new expansion would be the next step, not a new game.

> > >

> > > The launch success of GW2 disagrees with this sentiment. My experience is not many people here, especially now, played GW1.

> > >

> > > Revenue actually dropped to all-time lows after the expansions began releasing.

> > >

> > > That said, I sincerely doubt they're not releasing GW3, nor are they developing for it, and they probably never will, as much as a restart might be in their best interest.

> > >

> > > Either they'll opt for a new franchise or just close the doors.

> >

> > GW1 was no MMO.

> >

> > GW2 would be in direct competition with GW3 (if GW3 should be a MMO) and the investment in the gem store has been way higher with GW2 than any additional reward/purchase content in GW1. It is very difficult to convince a consumer who has spent thousands of dollars on a game to change games, especially when it's the same franchise. If we assume that the main target would be GW2 whales, then GW3 can very well backfire.

> >

> > Simply put: you are comparing apples to oranges.

>

> If ANet feels they can profit by offering a better experience than what's out there by catering to a broader scope of customers, then yes, they will compete against themselves.

>

> Did you forget NCSoft - which owns ANet - owns and concurrently runs several MMOs, some of which having similar approaches to combat, all released within similar timeframes?

NCSoft is a publisher. Arenanet is a developer under that publisher. Those two have sometimes similar, sometimes differing goals. Please do not mix those up.

> If there's market potential enough to earn more than the development cost, or ANet sees GW2 as a dying business venture that isn't sustainable, it only makes sense they'd move.

That is a lot of assumptions. If GW2 can make a similar or even smaller profit without this huge type of investment and front up commitment (and developing a new MMO costs nothing less than 100 million dollars or more), then it makes a lot more sense to stick with the established customer base.

> I don't really see how anyone can get upset after putting time and money into this game because of ANet making another one. I mean, the servers could go offline tomorrow for all we know and we'd still lose everything. If a new game is how they're going to get more new people drawn in and earning higher expected profit, they'd be stupid not to.

Arenanet have limited developer sources. Releasing a new MMO means years of no content for GW2 or vastly reduced content because developing GW3 is being subsidized with GW2 income. Take a guess how many people would be overjoyed to:

A.) get less content for their game

B.) lose thousands of dollars and be forced to move to a new game

> And if the number of people who would be angry about such a release is so large... the game would remain healthy thanks to dynamic servers/megaservers, and all they'll have to do is reduce their backend if there's a dropoff in players. Instead of three instances of the silverwastes, there only need be one and the load can be moved to fewer servers while the quality of service maintained.

Yes, let's ignore the money and time investment.

> But I sincerely doubt the pool of people who would be angry about a new game with better graphics, smoother gameplay/better hardware utilization, improved and fresh systems, a whole new world and game to experience, a huge influx of players, and so on, would be so upset they just gave up on ANet's products entirely.

Those are again a lot of assumptions. Have you seen the future? I have seen the past few years, and there is a ton of new MMOs with all those features that bombed terribly. Want me to start naming a few?

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > @"DeceiverX.8361" said:

> > > > > @"Hugheszie.6291" said:

> > > > > You do realise that if they make a GW3 they'll loose HUGE amounts of their player base and revenue right? A new expansion would be the next step, not a new game.

> > > >

> > > > The launch success of GW2 disagrees with this sentiment. My experience is not many people here, especially now, played GW1.

> > > >

> > > > Revenue actually dropped to all-time lows after the expansions began releasing.

> > > >

> > > > That said, I sincerely doubt they're not releasing GW3, nor are they developing for it, and they probably never will, as much as a restart might be in their best interest.

> > > >

> > > > Either they'll opt for a new franchise or just close the doors.

> > >

> > > GW1 was no MMO.

> > >

> > > GW2 would be in direct competition with GW3 (if GW3 should be a MMO) and the investment in the gem store has been way higher with GW2 than any additional reward/purchase content in GW1. It is very difficult to convince a consumer who has spent thousands of dollars on a game to change games, especially when it's the same franchise. If we assume that the main target would be GW2 whales, then GW3 can very well backfire.

> > >

> > > Simply put: you are comparing apples to oranges.

> >

> > If ANet feels they can profit by offering a better experience than what's out there by catering to a broader scope of customers, then yes, they will compete against themselves.

> >

> > Did you forget NCSoft - which owns ANet - owns and concurrently runs several MMOs, some of which having similar approaches to combat, all released within similar timeframes?

>

> NCSoft is a publisher. Arenanet is a developer under that publisher. Those two have sometimes similar, sometimes differing goals. Please do not mix those up.

>

I never said NCSoft was a developer? And you're wrong in that NCSoft is not ANet's publisher; they just own ArenaNet, but ArenaNet is their own publisher for the Guild Wars franchise, so your point is meaningless. NCSoft thus competes against themselves when maintaining and funding multiple MMOs at once, but does so because running multiple products concurrently earns them more money than otherwise. If it didn't, they wouldn't fund the development of new games or publish/fund more than one at once.

> > If there's market potential enough to earn more than the development cost, or ANet sees GW2 as a dying business venture that isn't sustainable, it only makes sense they'd move.

>

> That is a lot of assumptions. If GW2 can make a similar or even smaller profit without this huge type of investment and front up commitment (and developing a new MMO costs nothing less than 100 million dollars or more), then it makes a lot more sense to stick with the established customer base.

That's not an assumption. I made the statement saying "IF" it's forecasted to earn them more or there are sustainment issues with their current product, they will move. That's just how businesses work; you maximize profits while aiming for long-term sustainment. ANet isn't here just to entertain people. Your argument is literally another assumption which only has merit on the claim that they will never recoup development costs. For one, $100 million is nothing in this industry, and in terms of these endeavors, for the cost of development of a major platform, it's nothing when you forecast long-term earnings and losses, like a 10-year plan with an EoL, which all online games should have.

>

> > I don't really see how anyone can get upset after putting time and money into this game because of ANet making another one. I mean, the servers could go offline tomorrow for all we know and we'd still lose everything. If a new game is how they're going to get more new people drawn in and earning higher expected profit, they'd be stupid not to.

>

> Arenanet have limited developer sources. Releasing a new MMO means years of no content for GW2 or vastly reduced content because developing GW3 is being subsidized with GW2 income. Take a guess how many people would be overjoyed to:

> A.) get less content for their game

> B.) lose thousands of dollars and be forced to move to a new game

>

That's absolute nonsense. ANet does not operate on a fixed budget and does not only solely have the option of using their talent pool to do one thing at a time, nor are they incapable of growing their own talent, especially of it uses fewer proprietary technologies which is generally wise today in the game dev atmosphere unles 25 years ago. All of this is also why they're owned by a publishing company and get investments to begin with. They want to make a new product? Good, they get the money for resources as temporary employment for the five years of development time on a new title. Usually contractors, which there are no shortage of in game development/art/design. That's how most people in those roles break into the industry, or springboard their career to bigger companies with more permanent placements.

> > And if the number of people who would be angry about such a release is so large... the game would remain healthy thanks to dynamic servers/megaservers, and all they'll have to do is reduce their backend if there's a dropoff in players. Instead of three instances of the silverwastes, there only need be one and the load can be moved to fewer servers while the quality of service maintained.

>

> Yes, let's ignore the money and time investment.

Your money and time investment argument is baseless at worst and emotionally-driven at best. I literally just demonstrated how they can approach EoL with no QoS drops.

Not to mention, everyone who plays Old School Runescape disagrees with you; the game is immensely grindier than GW2 is, and yet, a bigger portion of their community willingly and happily went to a clean slate to play the more enjoyable game despite the tens of thousands of hours and hundreds if not thousands of dollars spent on maintaining their previous characters.

People move on when they get their money's worth. If you look at MMO's solely as an investment, rather than paying for short-term entertainment like going to a movie, you are only ever going to be disappointed.

I don't regret the hundreds/thousands spent on this game despite the fact I think it's currently terrible. I had fun when I had fun and when I had fun it was worth paying for the enjoyment I got out of it.

> > But I sincerely doubt the pool of people who would be angry about a new game with better graphics, smoother gameplay/better hardware utilization, improved and fresh systems, a whole new world and game to experience, a huge influx of players, and so on, would be so upset they just gave up on ANet's products entirely.

>

> Those are again a lot of assumptions. Have you seen the future? I have seen the past few years, and there is a ton of new MMOs with all those features that bombed terribly. Want me to start naming a few?

That's a strawman, because those games didn't fail FOR those reasons. I am aware of many of the examples you'd probably mention, and most of those games failed because they fundamentally sucked and mostly were terrible at getting a mainstream audience. You know why Wildstar died? Because "competitive hardcore PvE" is a concept almost nobody who plays games actually gives a damn about. Archeage failed because it wasn't maintained well at all. Bless was not release-worthy and bugged to hell and back and not worth the price, with basically no fixes to a DOA product. TERA NA had terrible maintenance and support/localization compared to its still-successful EU counterpart. BDO too grindy and not well-structured for the western audience.

I've worked in MMO publishing before. I'll give you a heads-up: It's a business where people come to work to make a living on products they're passionate about and maybe have some fun working their jobs, and those companies with a well-founded, well-researched, realistic plan usually succeed, and those without one fail. ANet, being a lucrative and overall successful company likely has a plan for EoL for GW2, and probably one for within the next 5-7 years based on tech advancements and predicted bloat which curbs new revenue source potential. Them releasing another game is an eventuality, or if it isn't, like I originally said, they'll just close shop once they start losing money. Because I can tell you one thing in absolute truth: Big Daddy NCSoft isn't gonna subsidize GW2/ArenaNet for very long if it stops making money, and that's ultimately who the dev paychecks come from. Your "investment" only means anything to them if they think they'll earn more money and have a more stable future by keeping the old product around as their primary focus than creating a new one, and I assure you, at the end of the day, ANet executives know this.

Please do be aware that NCSoft is not the publisher of Guild Wars 2, most references to them were removed from the game and licensing information some years ago, ArenaNet is still a subsidary of NCSoft, but from what I understand they have little to do with GW anymore.

Also ArenaNet has a Right to Repurchase on the franchise.

> > > > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > > @"DeceiverX.8361" said:

> > > > > > @"Hugheszie.6291" said:

> > > > > > You do realise that if they make a GW3 they'll loose HUGE amounts of their player base and revenue right? A new expansion would be the next step, not a new game.

> > > > >

> > > > > The launch success of GW2 disagrees with this sentiment. My experience is not many people here, especially now, played GW1.

> > > > >

> > > > > Revenue actually dropped to all-time lows after the expansions began releasing.

> > > > >

> > > > > That said, I sincerely doubt they're not releasing GW3, nor are they developing for it, and they probably never will, as much as a restart might be in their best interest.

> > > > >

> > > > > Either they'll opt for a new franchise or just close the doors.

> > > >

> > > > GW1 was no MMO.

> > > >

> > > > GW2 would be in direct competition with GW3 (if GW3 should be a MMO) and the investment in the gem store has been way higher with GW2 than any additional reward/purchase content in GW1. It is very difficult to convince a consumer who has spent thousands of dollars on a game to change games, especially when it's the same franchise. If we assume that the main target would be GW2 whales, then GW3 can very well backfire.

> > > >

> > > > Simply put: you are comparing apples to oranges.

> > >

> > > If ANet feels they can profit by offering a better experience than what's out there by catering to a broader scope of customers, then yes, they will compete against themselves.

> > >

> > > Did you forget NCSoft - which owns ANet - owns and concurrently runs several MMOs, some of which having similar approaches to combat, all released within similar timeframes?

> >

> > NCSoft is a publisher. Arenanet is a developer under that publisher. Those two have sometimes similar, sometimes differing goals. Please do not mix those up.

> >

>

> I never said NCSoft was a developer? And you're wrong in that NCSoft is not ANet's publisher; they just own ArenaNet, but ArenaNet is their own publisher for the Guild Wars franchise, so your point is meaningless. NCSoft thus competes against themselves when maintaining and funding multiple MMOs at once, but does so because running multiple products concurrently earns them more money than otherwise. If it didn't, they wouldn't fund the development of new games or publish/fund more than one at once.

>

>

Yes, and all of those MMOs, mostly successful in the Asian market, are competing with each other. Now how many sequels has NCSoft released to any of their MMO titles? So far only 1 and that is already ages ago. How many MMOs overall have you seen release a sequel title? A handful at most and none within the last few years or with major success.

> > > If there's market potential enough to earn more than the development cost, or ANet sees GW2 as a dying business venture that isn't sustainable, it only makes sense they'd move.

> >

> > That is a lot of assumptions. If GW2 can make a similar or even smaller profit without this huge type of investment and front up commitment (and developing a new MMO costs nothing less than 100 million dollars or more), then it makes a lot more sense to stick with the established customer base.

>

> That's not an assumption. I made the statement saying "IF" it's forecasted to earn them more or there are sustainment issues with their current product, they will move. That's just how businesses work; you maximize profits while aiming for long-term sustainment. ANet isn't here just to entertain people. Your argument is literally another assumption which only has merit on the claim that they will never recoup development costs. For one, $100 million is nothing in this industry, and in terms of these endeavors, for the cost of development of a major platform, it's nothing when you forecast long-term earnings and losses, like a 10-year plan with an EoL, which all online games should have.

and I'm saying that if they can make more money with less investment, they will go down that route. Especially in a climate where the MMO market has lost its luster.

> > > I don't really see how anyone can get upset after putting time and money into this game because of ANet making another one. I mean, the servers could go offline tomorrow for all we know and we'd still lose everything. If a new game is how they're going to get more new people drawn in and earning higher expected profit, they'd be stupid not to.

> >

> > Arenanet have limited developer sources. Releasing a new MMO means years of no content for GW2 or vastly reduced content because developing GW3 is being subsidized with GW2 income. Take a guess how many people would be overjoyed to:

> > A.) get less content for their game

> > B.) lose thousands of dollars and be forced to move to a new game

> >

> That's absolute nonsense. ANet does not operate on a fixed budget and does not only solely have the option of using their talent pool to do one thing at a time, nor are they incapable of growing their own talent, especially of it uses fewer proprietary technologies which is generally wise today in the game dev atmosphere unles 25 years ago. All of this is also why they're owned by a publishing company and get investments to begin with. They want to make a new product? Good, they get the money for resources as temporary employment for the five years of development time on a new title. Usually contractors, which there are no shortage of in game development/art/design. That's how most people in those roles break into the industry, or springboard their career to bigger companies with more permanent placements.

>

Sure, if their publisher and investors are willing to invest the money required. I'm not seeing huge moves in any other area, not for the western MMO market. The only direction this market has gone is indie and small studio over the last few years. Arenanet operates within their budget and revenue generated. Given the past quarterly report, there is not a lot of room for self-funding GW3 thus

> > > And if the number of people who would be angry about such a release is so large... the game would remain healthy thanks to dynamic servers/megaservers, and all they'll have to do is reduce their backend if there's a dropoff in players. Instead of three instances of the silverwastes, there only need be one and the load can be moved to fewer servers while the quality of service maintained.

> >

> > Yes, let's ignore the money and time investment.

>

> Your money and time investment argument is baseless at worst and emotionally-driven at best. I literally just demonstrated how they can approach EoL with no QoS drops.

> Not to mention, everyone who plays Old School Runescape disagrees with you; the game is immensely grindier than GW2 is, and yet, a bigger portion of their community willingly and happily went to a clean slate to play the more enjoyable game despite the tens of thousands of hours and hundreds if not thousands of dollars spent on maintaining their previous characters.

>

> People move on when they get their money's worth. If you look at MMO's solely as an investment, rather than paying for short-term entertainment like going to a movie, you are only ever going to be disappointed.

>

I never said people do not move on to new games. If GW3 is a drastically different game, sure people might move on. Now we are talking about breaking into a market instead of a sequel except in name and competing with a previous product. On top of which all those rosie and high expectation people have are worth basically squat since people would have absolutely no basis to ground their expectations on.

> I don't regret the hundreds/thousands spent on this game despite the fact I think it's currently terrible. I had fun when I had fun and when I had fun it was worth paying for the enjoyment I got out of it.

and that's exactly the reason why your opinion is subject to extreme bias. You assume the next game will be better because you are currently unhappy with the current game. You obviously weren't happy with any of the competition. Who guarantees you will be happy with GW3? Why should Arenanet risk gaining you as a customer when they currently have customers they can provide services to?

> > > But I sincerely doubt the pool of people who would be angry about a new game with better graphics, smoother gameplay/better hardware utilization, improved and fresh systems, a whole new world and game to experience, a huge influx of players, and so on, would be so upset they just gave up on ANet's products entirely.

> >

> > Those are again a lot of assumptions. Have you seen the future? I have seen the past few years, and there is a ton of new MMOs with all those features that bombed terribly. Want me to start naming a few?

>

> That's a strawman, because those games didn't fail FOR those reasons. I am aware of many of the examples you'd probably mention, and most of those games failed because they fundamentally sucked and mostly were terrible at getting a mainstream audience. You know why Wildstar died? Because "competitive hardcore PvE" is a concept almost nobody who plays games actually gives a kitten about. Archeage failed because it wasn't maintained well at all. Bless was not release-worthy and bugged to hell and back and not worth the price, with basically no fixes to a DOA product. TERA NA had terrible maintenance and support/localization compared to its still-successful EU counterpart. BDO too grindy and not well-structured for the western audience.

>

You do realize all those flaws are only applicable to the western market, which by comparison is tiny compared to Asia for MMOs. Most of those MMOs you mentioned are highly successful in Asia. Where was NCSoft based again? I already explained how if GW3 is a sequel in name only, it would face the same hurdles as any other MMO. Turns out, it's not that easy to break into a market and the risked involved is huge. It might be a project in the very far future, but as of right now, there is a ton of more money to be made with GW2.

> I've worked in MMO publishing before. I'll give you a heads-up: It's a business where people come to work to make a living on products they're passionate about and maybe have some fun working their jobs, and those companies with a well-founded, well-researched, realistic plan usually succeed, and those without one fail. ANet, being a lucrative and overall successful company likely has a plan for EoL for GW2, and probably one for within the next 5-7 years based on tech advancements and predicted bloat which curbs new revenue source potential. Them releasing another game is an eventuality, or if it isn't, like I originally said, they'll just close shop once they start losing money. Because I can tell you one thing in absolute truth: Big Daddy NCSoft isn't gonna subsidize GW2/ArenaNet for very long if it stops making money, and that's ultimately who the dev paychecks come from. Your "investment" only means anything to them if they think they'll earn more money and have a more stable future by keeping the old product around as their primary focus than creating a new one, and I assure you, at the end of the day, ANet executives know this.

Sure you have.

The exact reason why you are saying Arenanet would make a GW3 is why I am arguing that they won't. Because they can generate a lot more revenue and profit with a lot less investment off of GW2, not to mention risk.

Anything beyond 5-10 years time line? Not applicable right now and certainly not of interest to argue over since it would neither be in development currently, nor even a blip on the radar.

Whale here. Can confirm that if they make a Guild Wars 3, I will leave and find a different franchise/company. I did not sink thousands and thousands of dollars into this game just to see it gutted halfway through its lifespan. And many of my friends, who have also put in similar amounts of money, feel the same way.