super displeased with ncsoft

Opopanax.1803

> @"zombyturtle.5980" said:

> I highly doubt nsoft hand picked who needed to go or stay. More likely they told anet 'you need to lay off x amount of employees to make y savings' and anet either chose people who were highly paid, or asked for volunteers and gaile/josh chose to leave.

That's a very reasonable assumption and knowing now that some of those displaced indeed decided to fall on their own sword, I would not put it past either Josh or Gaile to of at least given that same decision some very serious thought.

> @"zombyturtle.5980" said:

> I highly doubt nsoft hand picked who needed to go or stay. More likely they told anet 'you need to lay off x amount of employees to make y savings' and anet either chose people who were highly paid, or asked for volunteers and gaile/josh chose to leave.

I highly doubt that. Imo, of course.

> @"Opopanax.1803" said:

> You cut josh foreman and gaile gray. I get they were paid more, but they were also important experienced staff.

>

> I can no longer support ncsoft in good faith when you treat employee pillars like this.

it was their own boss who did this, not ncsoft

HE took resources from this game, and wasted them on swamp land and magic beans

the big names prolly took the fall to save MANY of their younger coworkers, they can always find work

> @"Opopanax.1803" said:

> > @"zombyturtle.5980" said:

> > I highly doubt nsoft hand picked who needed to go or stay. More likely they told anet 'you need to lay off x amount of employees to make y savings' and anet either chose people who were highly paid, or asked for volunteers and gaile/josh chose to leave.

>

> I highly doubt that. Imo, of course.

If you read this article to the very bottom, it makes it seem pretty clear that this was out of the blue and they didn't even decide who all was let go until the cat was already out of the bag.

https://kotaku.com/guild-wars-2-developer-arenanet-plans-for-mass-layoffs-1832799804

Additionally, we know some like Aaron did volunteer to leave.

https://www.mmorpg.com/guild-wars-2/news/arenanets-offices-closed-for-two-days-as-layoffs-begin-ahead-of-restructuring-1000051606

I'm sure this is very emotional and hard for them. If any of them volunteered, they volunteered knowing that if they didn't, someone else would have to take their place. These people are friends. This is a very horrible situation to be in and I feel terribly sorry for them. However, from the articles I read, it seems clear that NCSoft did not hand select who was let go.

> @"Dami.5046" said:

> I thought it was NC softs fault and I was plenty mad, but looking at the bigger picture for Nc to have told Anet to lay off staff meant they *weren't* doing what was expected.

>

yeah ,no. ppl get lay'd off because a higher up thinks it'll increase profits, it has nothing to do with whether or not they did anything wrong.

welcome to business.

also anet wasn't the only studio under NCsoft that had layoffs so i doubt it was anet's fault

> @"Opopanax.1803" said:

> You cut josh foreman and gaile gray. I get they were paid more, but they were also important experienced staff.

>

> I can no longer support ncsoft in good faith when you treat employee pillars like this.

im pretty sure NCSOFT didnt choose who is getting fired from anet.

Anyway, dont forget the devs come from ANET, not NCSOFT, if anet is not managing their revenue correctly, or GW2 is not getting properly developed and, cause that, got a reduction of playerbase, NCSOFT is not responsible of that... is ANET...

none of us knows what really is happening there, so, blaming NCSOFT without any knowledge? whats next? a witch hunt? we all went/go to school and got brain enough to dont go mad and blaming someone without knowing anything.

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > @"Dami.5046" said:

> > I thought it was NC softs fault and I was plenty mad, but looking at the bigger picture for Nc to have told Anet to lay off staff meant they *weren't* doing what was expected.

> >

>

> yeah ,no. ppl get lay'd off because a higher up thinks it'll increase profits, it has nothing to do with whether or not they did anything wrong.

>

> welcome to business.

>

> also anet wasn't the only studio under NCsoft that had layoffs so i doubt it was anet's fault

Been there with lay offs and mergers. In fact when i was part time my hours were cut or people would be laid off and years down the line I faced a merger with another company only to find less than a year later that where I worked was going to be sold off to another company. The Big cheese had however left with a million pounds worth of what the company had left days before the staff had found out about company issues.

I know all about business.

And yeah I get it, NC itself may be having issues in the bigger picture.

But at this point in time I only care about this game and the people who develop it, not Aion or any other title.

> @"HardRider.2980" said:

> No Josh.. No more SAB....

This is most likely the case. He wasn't the only one involved, but he was a the force that brought it together. I mean, they just about flat out said that there would never be world 3 and 4, which is depressing in and of itself, but without the one guy who might push for it and be able to do it, there's no point in hoping.

> @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> > @"HardRider.2980" said:

> > No Josh.. No more SAB....

>

> This is most likely the case. He wasn't the only one involved, but he was a the force that brought it together. I mean, they just about flat out said that there would never be world 3 and 4, which is depressing in and of itself, but without the one guy who might push for it and be able to do it, there's no point in hoping.

You mean this?

> @"Mike Zadorojny.7058" said:

> The Guild Wars 2 team is still committed to bringing content and feature updates to the game. The next episodes of Living World are already in development, Swiss tournament support is coming to PvP, we’re looking at more WvW events coming soon, **and the return of the Super Adventure Festival is imminent.** Our long-term plans for the game like World Restructuring and large-scale improvements to quality of life are still in the works.

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> > > @"HardRider.2980" said:

> > > No Josh.. No more SAB....

> >

> > This is most likely the case. He wasn't the only one involved, but he was a the force that brought it together. I mean, they just about flat out said that there would never be world 3 and 4, which is depressing in and of itself, but without the one guy who might push for it and be able to do it, there's no point in hoping.

>

> You mean this?

> > @"Mike Zadorojny.7058" said:

> > The Guild Wars 2 team is still committed to bringing content and feature updates to the game. The next episodes of Living World are already in development, Swiss tournament support is coming to PvP, we’re looking at more WvW events coming soon, **and the return of the Super Adventure Festival is imminent.** Our long-term plans for the game like World Restructuring and large-scale improvements to quality of life are still in the works.

>

They mean the extension of it...not the actual festival. SAB has worlds 3-4 that were never done.

> @"Turin.6921" said:

> > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> > > > @"HardRider.2980" said:

> > > > No Josh.. No more SAB....

> > >

> > > This is most likely the case. He wasn't the only one involved, but he was a the force that brought it together. I mean, they just about flat out said that there would never be world 3 and 4, which is depressing in and of itself, but without the one guy who might push for it and be able to do it, there's no point in hoping.

> >

> > You mean this?

> > > @"Mike Zadorojny.7058" said:

> > > The Guild Wars 2 team is still committed to bringing content and feature updates to the game. The next episodes of Living World are already in development, Swiss tournament support is coming to PvP, we’re looking at more WvW events coming soon, **and the return of the Super Adventure Festival is imminent.** Our long-term plans for the game like World Restructuring and large-scale improvements to quality of life are still in the works.

> >

>

> They mean the extension of it...not the actual festival. SAB has worlds 3-4 that were never done.

Ahh I see. I never did any of it, so I'm not really clear on what's what. But yeah I guess the extensions are out unless he had already finished some of that for this year's appearance which is still happening of course.

> @"Blude.6812" said:

>

> Ya really need to keep up with Anet conversations " and the return of the Super Adventure Festival is imminent. " https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/69872/update-from-the-guild-wars-2-team/p1

My comment was made way before they made that update. So at the time.. my comment stands.

> @"Blude.6812" said:

>

> Ya really need to keep up with Anet conversations " and the return of the Super Adventure Festival is imminent. " https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/69872/update-from-the-guild-wars-2-team/p1

He meant the completion of SAB series. The current SAB isn't complete.

There's a tremendous amount of speculation in this thread...and that's all it is, speculation. I can't support people who boil stuff down to simple black and white. The limited interactions we have with people doesn't tell the whole story. Unless you work there, you have no idea of what happened, and even then you might not know everything.

I've met Gaile in real life and she was very nice. She was also there 18 years, and maybe she decided it was enough. I don't know she was actually laid off and neither does anyone else.

Layoffs are a business reality. I've was laid off from a job one year after winning manager of the year with that company. It wasn't personal. And it didn't stop me from getting another job immediately. The experienced people are the people who'll be most likely to land on their feet. We also don't know what kind of severance package they were offered. I got four months salary when I left my last job, which was a pretty damn good deal. It gave me quite a long time to figure out what I wanted to do and get myself positioned to get there.

Making blanket statements without not only all the facts but most of them is a pointless exercise. I'm going to miss Gaile and Josh (even though I didn't directliy interact with Josh), but this is the way business works. I'm not saying it doesn't suck. I'm saying it does happen, and it's not always so cut and dried as people on the outside think it is. I know that from personal experience.

A interesting comment i saw from one of the employees that lost their job was:

- The ANET team increased by 30% after POF, and now 35% of the team has been layed off.

So based on that a 5% loss on pre POF GW2 team... its not the end of the world, like everything it has to learn to be more efficient.

But like someone said, should we not be looking at "WHY" these lay offs are being enforced, ultimately it must be some bad decision making about these "other" projects, for what ever reason these projects have been deemed not viable, if they where of value these employees would not have lost their jobs... so something has gone wrong, are ANET going to fix this? they cant carry on in this way, cant carry on throwing money at doomed projects,they need to learn and improve or in a few years is this same poor insight going to have father cuts?

> @"XenoSpyro.1780" said:

>

> World 3 has been "coming" for 5 years. It's not happening.

>

>

It's actually never been coming, which is the disappointment so many of its fans have. Because now, without the only force that might have driven it, it really isn't going to happen.

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> > > @"HardRider.2980" said:

> > > No Josh.. No more SAB....

> >

> > This is most likely the case. He wasn't the only one involved, but he was a the force that brought it together. I mean, they just about flat out said that there would never be world 3 and 4, which is depressing in and of itself, but without the one guy who might push for it and be able to do it, there's no point in hoping.

>

> You mean this?

> > @"Mike Zadorojny.7058" said:

> > The Guild Wars 2 team is still committed to bringing content and feature updates to the game. The next episodes of Living World are already in development, Swiss tournament support is coming to PvP, we’re looking at more WvW events coming soon, **and the return of the Super Adventure Festival is imminent.** Our long-term plans for the game like World Restructuring and large-scale improvements to quality of life are still in the works.

>

As was stated, no, I know SAB is coming back, it just will continue to come back only as is, without moving forward into the underworld.