Make us PAY for LW Content!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > @"Stalkingwolf.6035" said:

> > why? i paid for the expansion and it belongs to the expansion.

>

> Not true. If you are a new player now and buy PoF and HoT you still have to pay for all the LW chapters. Therefore it's not included in the price of the expansions.

thats only because they want that you log in and thats a small reward. 200 gems is nothing.

I think its a good idea, but pretty sure its borderline illegal to demand a price for promised free content, but then again, it is a service so hard to evaluate unless if someone actually are going to take A-Net to court for this. Either way, it would be a good gold sink (I dont know what to do with gold at this point), and also real money if you are new, and dont have the means to create income in game.

> @"Stalkingwolf.6035" said:

> > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > @"Stalkingwolf.6035" said:

> > > why? i paid for the expansion and it belongs to the expansion.

> >

> > Not true. If you are a new player now and buy PoF and HoT you still have to pay for all the LW chapters. Therefore it's not included in the price of the expansions.

>

> thats only because they want that you log in and thats a small reward. 200 gems is nothing.

That doesn't change the fact that it's not part of the expansion, so don't try to change the subject on that. And I'm not even sure if you need the expansion to get LS chapters.

Season 2 and 3 are 14 episodes so that's 2800 gems and there's 5 new ones so far so that's another 1000 when you come late to the party. How much does 3800 gems cost? Yeah so that's 40 bucks easy, which is the cost of another expansion by itself. That's not nothing. So stop trying to defend a faulty statement.

so it is available for gems if u not activated that in some time .. So mostly yours idea is implemented.

If idea make it payment anyway, for added pve core+ content also wihtout possibilities pay for that wiht gems - it will kill populations, decrease online, and will be forward die. I see it from my 20+ years mmo expr.

For example I am know what my few members from const pt will leave after that change to other game .. And no matter can I pay or not for this I will leave too because friends > all. And this is very can be like effect domino row ..

So I repeat my question in simple words: do you real want suggest KILL gw2 ?

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > @"Stalkingwolf.6035" said:

> > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > @"Stalkingwolf.6035" said:

> > > > why? i paid for the expansion and it belongs to the expansion.

> > >

> > > Not true. If you are a new player now and buy PoF and HoT you still have to pay for all the LW chapters. Therefore it's not included in the price of the expansions.

> >

> > thats only because they want that you log in and thats a small reward. 200 gems is nothing.

> That doesn't change the fact that it's not part of the expansion, so don't try to change the subject on that. And I'm not even sure if you need the expansion to get LS chapters.

>

> Season 2 and 3 are 14 episodes so that's 2800 gems and there's 5 new ones so far so that's another 1000 when you come late to the party. How much does 3800 gems cost? Yeah so that's 40 bucks easy, which is the cost of another expansion by itself. That's not nothing. So stop trying to defend a faulty statement.

>

As a new player i can tell you the fact i cant buy a 'complete' version of the game with all content made me dither over making a purchase.

HOT+POF+LS is a fair amount to pay. I do appreciate there is no sub to pay and in the end i decided to buy anyway but i wouldnt be surprised if a fair number of potential players are put off by the amount new players have to shell out to get the story.

> @"trev.1045" said:

> > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > @"Stalkingwolf.6035" said:

> > > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > > @"Stalkingwolf.6035" said:

> > > > > why? i paid for the expansion and it belongs to the expansion.

> > > >

> > > > Not true. If you are a new player now and buy PoF and HoT you still have to pay for all the LW chapters. Therefore it's not included in the price of the expansions.

> > >

> > > thats only because they want that you log in and thats a small reward. 200 gems is nothing.

> > That doesn't change the fact that it's not part of the expansion, so don't try to change the subject on that. And I'm not even sure if you need the expansion to get LS chapters.

> >

> > Season 2 and 3 are 14 episodes so that's 2800 gems and there's 5 new ones so far so that's another 1000 when you come late to the party. How much does 3800 gems cost? Yeah so that's 40 bucks easy, which is the cost of another expansion by itself. That's not nothing. So stop trying to defend a faulty statement.

> >

>

> As a new player i can tell you the fact i cant buy a 'complete' version of the game with all content made me dither over making a purchase.

> HOT+POF+LS is a fair amount to pay. I do appreciate there is no sub to pay and in the end i decided to buy anyway but i wouldnt be surprised if a fair number of potential players are put off by the amount new players have to shell out to get the story.

That's exactly why I've always been a supporter of living world episodes being added to the special editions of the expansions without increasing the price of them..

I always buy ultimate myself but I'd have no problem with those editions offering free previous living world episodes to players who don't have them.

> @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > @"trev.1045" said:

> > > > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > > > @"Stalkingwolf.6035" said:

> > > > > > why? i paid for the expansion and it belongs to the expansion.

> > > > >

> > > > > Not true. If you are a new player now and buy PoF and HoT you still have to pay for all the LW chapters. Therefore it's not included in the price of the expansions.

> > > >

> > > > thats only because they want that you log in and thats a small reward. 200 gems is nothing.

> > > That doesn't change the fact that it's not part of the expansion, so don't try to change the subject on that. And I'm not even sure if you need the expansion to get LS chapters.

> > >

> > > Season 2 and 3 are 14 episodes so that's 2800 gems and there's 5 new ones so far so that's another 1000 when you come late to the party. How much does 3800 gems cost? Yeah so that's 40 bucks easy, which is the cost of another expansion by itself. That's not nothing. So stop trying to defend a faulty statement.

> > >

> >

> > As a new player i can tell you the fact i cant buy a 'complete' version of the game with all content made me dither over making a purchase.

> > HOT+POF+LS is a fair amount to pay. I do appreciate there is no sub to pay and in the end i decided to buy anyway but i wouldnt be surprised if a fair number of potential players are put off by the amount new players have to shell out to get the story.

>

> That's exactly why I've always been a supporter of living world episodes being added to the special editions of the expansions without increasing the price of them..

> I always buy ultimate myself but I'd have no problem with those editions offering free previous living world episodes to players who don't have them.

>

That sounds like a good idea to me. It's one thing to charge part of your player base for something and the other part not but for new players it's even more egregious to buy the game with expansions and to find out that's not the whole story...

> @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > @"trev.1045" said:

> > > > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > > > @"Stalkingwolf.6035" said:

> > > > > > why? i paid for the expansion and it belongs to the expansion.

> > > > >

> > > > > Not true. If you are a new player now and buy PoF and HoT you still have to pay for all the LW chapters. Therefore it's not included in the price of the expansions.

> > > >

> > > > thats only because they want that you log in and thats a small reward. 200 gems is nothing.

> > > That doesn't change the fact that it's not part of the expansion, so don't try to change the subject on that. And I'm not even sure if you need the expansion to get LS chapters.

> > >

> > > Season 2 and 3 are 14 episodes so that's 2800 gems and there's 5 new ones so far so that's another 1000 when you come late to the party. How much does 3800 gems cost? Yeah so that's 40 bucks easy, which is the cost of another expansion by itself. That's not nothing. So stop trying to defend a faulty statement.

> > >

> >

> > As a new player i can tell you the fact i cant buy a 'complete' version of the game with all content made me dither over making a purchase.

> > HOT+POF+LS is a fair amount to pay. I do appreciate there is no sub to pay and in the end i decided to buy anyway but i wouldnt be surprised if a fair number of potential players are put off by the amount new players have to shell out to get the story.

>

> That's exactly why I've always been a supporter of living world episodes being added to the special editions of the expansions without increasing the price of them..

> I always buy ultimate myself but I'd have no problem with those editions offering free previous living world episodes to players who don't have them.

>

They have everything else perfect for new players in my opinion, starting area, informal grouping in events, artwork etc. But yes, when i understood what i needed to buy to get the full story i thought 'woaah'. Maybe im getting dumb in my old age, but i had to go to reddit to ask exactly what i needed to buy if i wanted to understand what was going on story wise. The other mmo i was considering was ESO (but no free trial). From what i saw, if you pre-ordered then you get all the dlc.

I appreciate its a business, and they need to make revenue without sub fees, but i think its better to get the player hooked and likely to buy gems than front load the cost personally.

Just my POV.

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > @"trev.1045" said:

> > > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > > @"Stalkingwolf.6035" said:

> > > > > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > > > > @"Stalkingwolf.6035" said:

> > > > > > > why? i paid for the expansion and it belongs to the expansion.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Not true. If you are a new player now and buy PoF and HoT you still have to pay for all the LW chapters. Therefore it's not included in the price of the expansions.

> > > > >

> > > > > thats only because they want that you log in and thats a small reward. 200 gems is nothing.

> > > > That doesn't change the fact that it's not part of the expansion, so don't try to change the subject on that. And I'm not even sure if you need the expansion to get LS chapters.

> > > >

> > > > Season 2 and 3 are 14 episodes so that's 2800 gems and there's 5 new ones so far so that's another 1000 when you come late to the party. How much does 3800 gems cost? Yeah so that's 40 bucks easy, which is the cost of another expansion by itself. That's not nothing. So stop trying to defend a faulty statement.

> > > >

> > >

> > > As a new player i can tell you the fact i cant buy a 'complete' version of the game with all content made me dither over making a purchase.

> > > HOT+POF+LS is a fair amount to pay. I do appreciate there is no sub to pay and in the end i decided to buy anyway but i wouldnt be surprised if a fair number of potential players are put off by the amount new players have to shell out to get the story.

> >

> > That's exactly why I've always been a supporter of living world episodes being added to the special editions of the expansions without increasing the price of them..

> > I always buy ultimate myself but I'd have no problem with those editions offering free previous living world episodes to players who don't have them.

> >

> That sounds like a good idea to me. It's one thing to charge part of your player base for something and the other part not but for new players it's even more egregious to buy the game with expansions and to find out that's not the whole story...

Yeah exactly, I've had a few friends come back to Gw2 the past couple years and some new friends come in as well and the amount they had to pay to catch up was always a big problem for me, and that problem only grows over time as more content gets added.

Way I see it.. the more living world comes out the bigger that price tag gets for new players and the more likely they are to give Gw2 a pass.

Bundling the previous living world into a special edition expansion as a free bonus just makes sense to me.. pay a little more for the expansion and avoid paying more for individual episode.

I'd certainly feel more comfortable doing that as a new player.

> @"Teratus.2859" said:

> Aboslutely not.

>

> Any kind of mandatory fee for new content will kill this game and Anet knows this.

> The vast majority of this community came to guildwars because they were sold on the no subfee model and they will walk away should that ever change.

This is all that needs to be said on the matter.

You cannot change from free/b2p to sub and it not have a significant effect on the game's population. It will incite bad word of mouth and people will just see sub and baulk regardless of what it offers. It is not a good idea to add in any kind of sub 7 years on.

I agree LS needs better packaging with expansions though

> @"patton the great.7126" said:

> So if the numbers truly are down, why not make us pay for the release of each new living world update? For example, when the new episode comes out, why not charge say 7 dollars? Those of us who want the content will gladly pay as that's not really that much at all. Those of us who could care less, can simply not pay and continue on our merry way. I fall into the 2nd category. I haven't enjoyed the LW stuff since Escape from LA/Battle for LA stuff(I'm just not in this game for the story). I would simply buy the content if say it introduced a new food or maybe an area that really brought back the feels from gw1, but that's really not money lost, since under the current system I and people like me wouldn't have paid for it anyway. This way, the work you put into the LW get's rewarded, and maybe some of the money and resources you normally would have spent on LW stuff could be re-directed to I dunno lets say a new WvW map? You know since it's been years and all we had was one new BL map. Meanwhile I dunno what PvE folks are complaining about, at least they get new excellent maps multiple times a year. So please Anet, start charging us for LW updates! Thanks, and sorry to hear about the layoffs, losing your job sucks, anyone who's worked a real job knows the feeling. Hang in there, it does get easier!

Why not negotiate this concept and make Living World Preparation packages?

For each Living World chapter, they boost your map currency for that new map along with like extra things you might need (maybe extra trade contracts and trade cache keys) and maybe a Mastery Experience Booster. Maybe they can reward you with like a claim ticket for one special item from that map, like rather than spending Karma and Currency later you get a choice of a mini or tonic from that map as well.

For a small price.

This way some people can come into the map with just this little boost to loot and just boost their way up quickly in masteries if they have the money, but still manages to fund the story but doesn't really give much advantages compared to the other players playing it the hard way.

game is already famous, it could be even more with.... STEAM!!! =)

yeah i know, not happening, ncsoft is trash and have nothing on valve platform except Guild Wars 1 with 0 advertising, achievements and stuff that steam players desire, they literally killed lineage 2 debut on steam and brand new "zaken" server years ago, the review bombing they got for so much p2w was too much for ncsoft, so what they did next? remove the game from steam, genius... The problem is that people don't realise that's how ncsoft makes his money, mostly with p2w titles and mobile !"#!$@ games. Also they let die Wildstar on steam, the game was shutted down 2 months ago.

Anyway if the game/anet reaches some borderline shutdown scenario might as well try with steam no matter the 30% cut they get, i'd get gems with my steam wallet no doubt and people already praise gw2 when someone at "steam general discussions/community" forum ask for a good mmorpg.

So it seem's that most people agree that for this to work, the LW content would have to be greatly improved. I find no fault in that line of thought what so ever. Though I think it would be implied that they would have to step up their game, especially in the wake of NCsoft getting involved for the direction the studio had taken. I see some no's too based upon the principal of they already pay enough. Let me ask you this, is it fair that WvW and sPvP players buy gems, and skins, but recieve a trickle of content, whereas the PvE side has near regular updates in both maps/weapons/foods/AP stuff/Achieve/titles? This would ensure that PvE content is being paid for by the people who actually want it. To be clear I would certainly be happy to pay 7 dollars every 2-3 months if it meant a new map every now and then, perhaps a leggy set of armor that's actually leggy and not just a reskin of the Asc stuff...Then again I guess WvW doesn't use Armor right? We don't need to watch our stats, or tune them to what best fits our needs and still shine like a super nova while assembling said stats? Our fashion wars is not as important as raiders right? We don't watch youtube vids to memorize our enemies exact moves over and over and over in the same spot at the same time each raid. What we do is no where near skilled enough right? Equality for all, thats all I want, and I think adding small paid content to be purchased by the people who actually want said content would be great for the game. Use the gem pool as a universal reserve to be split on area's that are in dire need of attention. WvW is so very unique. It get's ripped on alot, but if we are being honest it's some of the best large scale pvp in an mmo to date. The reason it's falling apart isn't that WvW folks are crybabies or malcontents, it's that we have waited patiently for years and really only recieved a trickle of what some of the other modes get. I'm happy for raiders, and fractal folks, I feel sorry for people who like dungeons and open world stuff. We need to do something to relieve the pressure the devs surely feel, I believe a changing of the content pay doctrine is required.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

>

> But I think I'd be more likely to buy gems with gold instead, and apparently that's a lower return for Anet. (Yes I know gold bought gems have to be bought with real money by the person trading them, but Anet's justification for the mount skin prices was that items below 400 gems don't produce a profit for them because so many people use gold, while it's more beneficial for them if people buy gems and use them directly.)

That's not what was said. MOB said that cosmetic items don't appeal to everyone. The personal taste factor means that the potential buyer numbers for cosmetics is low enough that lower cost/higher volume sales revenue is going to be inferior to higher cost/lower volume sales revenue. I'd be surprised if you could find a reference to support what you contend. I have not seen it.

Here's part of the quote:

...GW2 isn’t setup to support an enjoyable experience of browsing through a large catalog of style items, so players tend not to do that. What our data shows is that higher-priced flashy individual items can work, and lower-average-price-per-item bundles can work, but lower-priced individual items generally don’t generate meaningful revenue to support the game. And the whole point of these items is to support the game.