GW2 on Xbox? BDO runs great

I know this question has been beaten into the ground like a dead horse, but the answer is always, “the game probably can’t run, it barely runs on PC etc etc” but with the release of Xbox One X and better programming and hardware. We have games like DayZ, Tera, Black Desert Online, PuBG, and many more games that came from PC, while mind you, all played bad on PC.

Pubg played bad on console at first, now it plays great, DayZ played bad at first, now is great, Tera, plays “okay”. And Black Desert (on Xbox one X) plays perfectly and plays still good on original Xbox. Black Desert is huge, and very visually demanding game, the controls are also very demanding and they managed it.

Games like Dragon Age have always used a skill system like GW2 and ran fine. So I wouldn’t see it being that difficult.

Better yet, throw GW1 on console and let us veterans have a go ;)

Just a thought, no need to grill me.

It would take far too much time, resources and effort to port and run Gw2 on consoles.. the result of that would end up causing significant delays on the PC.

In all honesty I think MMO's in general are a wasted genre on consoles, they're better off remaining exclusivley on PC where they don't need to worry about hardware restrictions or porting issues etc as much.

Not to mention all consoles rip you off with mandatory subscription fees these days.. so you'd still have to pay a sub to play a free MMO.. which is something that just makes me sick.

I have a lot of love and respect for Anet because they actively don't use that model.

> @"Teratus.2859" said:

> It would take far too much time, resources and effort to port and run Gw2 on consoles.. the result of that would end up causing significant delays on the PC.

>

> In all honesty I think MMO's in general are a wasted genre on consoles, they're better off remaining exclusivley on PC where they don't need to worry about hardware restrictions or porting issues etc as much.

> Not to mention all consoles rip you off with mandatory subscription fees these days.. so you'd still have to pay a sub to play a free MMO.. which is something that just makes me sick.

>

> I have a lot of love and respect for Anet because they actively don't use that model.

While I do agree with some and respect what you’re saying. Xbox users subscribe anyway so it wouldn’t be changing ArenaNets model, and no game yet ported from PC has delayed updates because of its console port, it’s the opposite actually, console is always behind PC in updates. I do enjoy Guild Wars in PC, admittedly, I enjoyed GW1 far more than 2, but to sit in a recliner and play GW sounds great. It can be done with PC, but not as easily.

Plus they are a great company, much more experienced than the devs (without sounding rude to BDO devs) they did it pretty quickly.

Also I’m just tossing the idea in the air now that games like Black Desert are showing what’s possible, when people constantly said it was impossible. Before they announced it for Xbox, every PC player said it would never happen, it could never run, and it wasn’t ever going to happen. Look at us now, with a flawless running version of BDO that runs and in some cases looks better than most PCs. I have a monster of a PC and it didn’t even run as good as it did on Xbox.

> @"Moodswings.5723" said:

> > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > It would take far too much time, resources and effort to port and run Gw2 on consoles.. the result of that would end up causing significant delays on the PC.

> >

> > In all honesty I think MMO's in general are a wasted genre on consoles, they're better off remaining exclusivley on PC where they don't need to worry about hardware restrictions or porting issues etc as much.

> > Not to mention all consoles rip you off with mandatory subscription fees these days.. so you'd still have to pay a sub to play a free MMO.. which is something that just makes me sick.

> >

> > I have a lot of love and respect for Anet because they actively don't use that model.

>

> While I do agree with some and respect what you’re saying. Xbox users subscribe anyway so it wouldn’t be changing ArenaNets model, and no game yet ported from PC has delayed updates because of its console port, it’s the opposite actually, console is always behind PC in updates. I do enjoy Guild Wars in PC, admittedly, I enjoyed GW1 far more than 2, but to sit in a recliner and play GW sounds great. It can be done with PC, but not as easily.

>

> Plus they are a great company, much more experienced than the devs (without sounding rude to BDO devs) they did it pretty quickly.

>

> Also I’m just tossing the idea in the air now that games like Black Desert are showing what’s possible, when people constantly said it was impossible. Before they announced it for Xbox, every PC player said it would never happen, it could never run, and it wasn’t ever going to happen. Look at us now, with a flawless running version of BDO that runs and in some cases looks better than most PCs. I have a monster of a PC and it didn’t even run as good as it did on Xbox.

>

While it would be interesting, because console ports usually come with a lot of required updates and optimization, and GW2 is a huge resource guzzler. problem is, they just had to downsize their team, and even without it, we're talking about a team that hasn't saw fit to update to a current version of DirectX and is running on a legacy, unsupported API.

The problem is that GW2 is built on the same ancient engine as GW1, and has probably collected as much spaghetti code as possible, and to run it on consoles it would need a big clean up, which i don't know if they have the manpower, or even the know how at this point, to pull off.

Also like someone said, i do believe MMORPGs are wasted in consoles, especially one like GW2. BDO kind of works since it's a pure action controlled, while GW2 uses a hybrid approach that doesn't work that great with controllers (although i know some people have used at least the steam controller to play GW2).

> @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > @"Moodswings.5723" said:

> > > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > It would take far too much time, resources and effort to port and run Gw2 on consoles.. the result of that would end up causing significant delays on the PC.

> > >

> > > In all honesty I think MMO's in general are a wasted genre on consoles, they're better off remaining exclusivley on PC where they don't need to worry about hardware restrictions or porting issues etc as much.

> > > Not to mention all consoles rip you off with mandatory subscription fees these days.. so you'd still have to pay a sub to play a free MMO.. which is something that just makes me sick.

> > >

> > > I have a lot of love and respect for Anet because they actively don't use that model.

> >

> > While I do agree with some and respect what you’re saying. Xbox users subscribe anyway so it wouldn’t be changing ArenaNets model, and no game yet ported from PC has delayed updates because of its console port, it’s the opposite actually, console is always behind PC in updates. I do enjoy Guild Wars in PC, admittedly, I enjoyed GW1 far more than 2, but to sit in a recliner and play GW sounds great. It can be done with PC, but not as easily.

> >

> > Plus they are a great company, much more experienced than the devs (without sounding rude to BDO devs) they did it pretty quickly.

> >

> > Also I’m just tossing the idea in the air now that games like Black Desert are showing what’s possible, when people constantly said it was impossible. Before they announced it for Xbox, every PC player said it would never happen, it could never run, and it wasn’t ever going to happen. Look at us now, with a flawless running version of BDO that runs and in some cases looks better than most PCs. I have a monster of a PC and it didn’t even run as good as it did on Xbox.

> >

> While it would be interesting, because console ports usually come with a lot of required updates and optimization, and GW2 is a huge resource guzzler. problem is, they just had to downsize their team, and even without it, we're talking about a team that hasn't saw fit to update to a current version of DirectX and is running on a legacy, unsupported API.

> The problem is that GW2 is built on the same ancient engine as GW1, and has probably collected as much spaghetti code as possible, and to run it on consoles it would need a big clean up, which i don't know if they have the manpower, or even the know how at this point, to pull off.

>

> Also like someone said, i do believe MMORPGs are wasted in consoles, especially one like GW2. BDO kind of works since it's a pure action controlled, while GW2 uses a hybrid approach that doesn't work that great with controllers (although i know some people have used at least the steam controller to play GW2).

You’re right. I can’t speak on the teams behalf if they could have the capability or the knowledge to do it, all I’m doing is comparing and saying it is possible. BDO at one point was a resource hog as well. My gaming pc couldn’t handle max settings on 1080p and reach better than 25-30fps. And I played a whole session on the Xbox One X today in 4k running smooth. I’m just saying how impressed I am and saying it’s possible. I agree with everything you said besides the controls. You should check out the layout they used for BDO, hell it could be simplified allot tbh.

I played GW2 on a controller before and actually it’s really really easy lol. Left trigger as a function and I think I used lb as another function key, I had access to not only all the skills, but even inventory and action. Nothing’s impossible, only if you don’t try. All I’m doing is throwing the idea out :). On a side note on the controller thing. Games like Star Citizen are out there, idk if you ever heard of it, but it almost uses every key on the keyboard to run a ship, and they managed it fit it all on a controller. Pain I might add... but not impossible

> @"DreamyAbaddon.3265" said:

> Or you can just hook up xbox controller and use xpadder to keybind the keys to your gamepad then connect your PC / laptop to your TV and pretend you're playing on an xbox? That's always an option too you know. Plus it's cost effective. lol

I’ve done that, but you still need a mouse for allot of things because it’s not designed for a controller. Which a mouse with the thumb wheel works decent if you ever wanted to try lol. As I said above. Not complaining about pc port or anything, just tossing ideas around is all.

> > @"DreamyAbaddon.3265" said:

> > Or you can just hook up xbox controller and use xpadder to keybind the keys to your gamepad then connect your PC / laptop to your TV and pretend you're playing on an xbox? That's always an option too you know. Plus it's cost effective. lol

>

> I’ve done that, but you still need a mouse for allot of things because it’s not designed for a controller. Which a mouse with the thumb wheel works decent if you ever wanted to try lol. As I said above. Not complaining about pc port or anything, just tossing ideas around is all.

>

> > @"DreamyAbaddon.3265" said:

> > Or you can just hook up xbox controller and use xpadder to keybind the keys to your gamepad then connect your PC / laptop to your TV and pretend you're playing on an xbox? That's always an option too you know. Plus it's cost effective. lol

>

> I’ve done that, but you still need a mouse for allot of things because it’s not designed for a controller. Which a mouse with the thumb wheel works decent if you ever wanted to try lol. As I said above. Not complaining about pc port or anything, just tossing ideas around is all.

>

I play this game on xbox controller on my TV fine without using a mouse. I don't see why you need a mouse just because the game wasn't designed for a controller in mind. Perhaps your keybinding isn't well optimized like mine?

You won't find better GW2 keybinds than this;

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/67730/introducing-controller-keybinds-by-zefrost-steam#latest

I put over 100 hours optimizing them and incorporated everything ergonomically and even had enough room to add a spare menu that you can do whatever with (toy hotkeys etc.)

I wish I was able to remove the multiple different uploads that I made to steam not knowing that you can't remove them... but they're all the same regardless. I did realize later than I accidentally bound the PvP menu to the wrong button later on though. If anyone knows how to remove them from steam then I'll reupload with that fixed but it's a simple fix anyway.

There is nothing in this game that you require a mouse for

> @"Teratus.2859" said:

> It would take far too much time, resources and effort to port and run Gw2 on consoles.. the result of that would end up causing significant delays on the PC.

>

> In all honesty I think MMO's in general are a wasted genre on consoles, they're better off remaining exclusivley on PC where they don't need to worry about hardware restrictions or porting issues etc as much.

> Not to mention all consoles rip you off with mandatory subscription fees these days.. so you'd still have to pay a sub to play a free MMO.. which is something that just makes me sick.

>

> I have a lot of love and respect for Anet because they actively don't use that model.

Dont forget that devs much pay ms and sony for patches

> I know this question has been beaten into the ground like a dead horse, but the answer is always, “the game probably can’t run, it barely runs on PC etc etc” but with the release of Xbox One X and better programming and hardware. We have games like DayZ, Tera, Black Desert Online, PuBG, and many more games that came from PC, while mind you, all played bad on PC.

>

> Pubg played bad on console at first, now it plays great, DayZ played bad at first, now is great, Tera, plays “okay”. And Black Desert (on Xbox one X) plays perfectly and plays still good on original Xbox. Black Desert is huge, and very visually demanding game, the controls are also very demanding and they managed it.

>

> Games like Dragon Age have always used a skill system like GW2 and ran fine. So I wouldn’t see it being that difficult.

>

> Better yet, throw GW1 on console and let us veterans have a go ;)

>

> Just a thought, no need to grill me.

For first xboxs hardware even x is not compareable to mid range pc. Other thing is just becuse 2 other mmos who isnt doing to well finacially does it dont mean anet would benefit doing it. Crossplay wouldnt work well for that slows devlopment since 1 patch per week would be expensive i am sorry to break your hopes bit it wont be profitable for anet to do so but it simply wouldnt be sustainable. Mmos going to consoles love as long as that gen due to they would have port to next. Mmos going to console usually goes at end of their life

> @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > @"Moodswings.5723" said:

> > I know this question has been beaten into the ground like a dead horse, but the answer is always, “the game probably can’t run, it barely runs on PC etc etc” but with the release of Xbox One X and better programming and hardware. We have games like DayZ, Tera, Black Desert Online, PuBG, and many more games that came from PC, while mind you, all played bad on PC.

> >

> > Pubg played bad on console at first, now it plays great, DayZ played bad at first, now is great, Tera, plays “okay”. And Black Desert (on Xbox one X) plays perfectly and plays still good on original Xbox. Black Desert is huge, and very visually demanding game, the controls are also very demanding and they managed it.

> >

> > Games like Dragon Age have always used a skill system like GW2 and ran fine. So I wouldn’t see it being that difficult.

> >

> > Better yet, throw GW1 on console and let us veterans have a go ;)

> >

> > Just a thought, no need to grill me.

>

> For first xboxs hardware even x is not compareable to mid range pc. Other thing is just becuse 2 other mmos who isnt doing to well finacially does it dont mean anet would benefit doing it. Crossplay wouldnt work well for that slows devlopment since 1 patch per week would be expensive i am sorry to break your hopes bit it wont be profitable for anet to do so but it simply wouldnt be sustainable. Mmos going to consoles love as long as that gen due to they would have port to next. Mmos going to console usually goes at end of their life

BS, xbox one x is about as good as a PC with a GTX 1070. Compared to the the crap laptops most casuals play on, it is far more superior. Don't forget, that a vast majority of the players run some standard shite PC with no dedicated graphics cards for games.

That said, MMOs on a console is not a good idea since you have so many keybinds etc. And I think the mouse/keyboard is far more superior for such a game. Also, anet has no resources for this - especially with the current layoffs and they still run a 12+ year old directx version. So... simply no.

> @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > It would take far too much time, resources and effort to port and run Gw2 on consoles.. the result of that would end up causing significant delays on the PC.

> >

> > In all honesty I think MMO's in general are a wasted genre on consoles, they're better off remaining exclusivley on PC where they don't need to worry about hardware restrictions or porting issues etc as much.

> > Not to mention all consoles rip you off with mandatory subscription fees these days.. so you'd still have to pay a sub to play a free MMO.. which is something that just makes me sick.

> >

> > I have a lot of love and respect for Anet because they actively don't use that model.

>

> Dont forget that devs much pay ms and sony for patches

I'm not aware of that.. but if that's true then i'm glad i'm moving away from consoles and going more exclusive to PC.

It's really disgusting how they gatekeep online access through their hardware just so they can extort money from people.. I don't care how common it gets I will never support it.

> @"Ruufio.1496" said:

> You won't find better GW2 keybinds than this;

> https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/67730/introducing-controller-keybinds-by-zefrost-steam#latest

> I put over 100 hours optimizing them and incorporated everything ergonomically and even had enough room to add a spare menu that you can do whatever with (toy hotkeys etc.)

>

> I wish I was able to remove the multiple different uploads that I made to steam not knowing that you can't remove them... but they're all the same regardless. I did realize later than I accidentally bound the PvP menu to the wrong button later on though. If anyone knows how to remove them from steam then I'll reupload with that fixed but it's a simple fix anyway.

>

> There is nothing in this game that you require a mouse for

>

I am one of the first who made a GW2 xbox controller keybind and I have optimized it since beta.

I am pretty bias and after reviewing your keybind I find mine to feel better.

In my opinion, I think everyone has their own ideal keybind that's best for them. The best keybind for me is the one I made and optimized all these years.

And I keep updating my layout as new keys / skills are added in game like Mounts and such.

Xbone and the PS and all the other nintendos are underpowered for a game like GW2 and will presumably remain 5 years behind midgrade walmart computers for the foreseable future. Not only that, it will be added expense to support xbone and criscosoft will probably want to take a bite out of revenue.

If implemented I foresee lots of xbones red ringing and yellow lighting in the future because the game will make it run at max for a long time.

• 1 month later...

Yes, in my opinion GW2 is great idea for console, with only 9 skills useable at one time the controller is great for that and for swaping etc :) It would be nice just optimaze it for like Locked 60 fps and it's nice ^^ Many people have weaker PC's than ex. XB1 or PS4P, and many people use mainly console for playing, so i think it would be nice and with a CrossPlatform, huge community :)

> @"KonusXX.6307" said:

> Yes, in my opinion GW2 is great idea for console, with only 9 skills useable at one time the controller is great for that and for swaping etc :) It would be nice just optimaze it for like Locked 60 fps and it's nice ^^ Many people have weaker PC's than ex. XB1 or PS4P, and many people use mainly console for playing, so i think it would be nice and with a CrossPlatform, huge community :)

Well, get to work then. Start coding.

> @"AlexxxDelta.1806" said:

> Opening the game to the console market does nothing for Anet if that market doesn't give a kitten for the game or the genre itself. And prior evidence points to that. MMORPGS never appealed too much to the console crowd who is more used to lobby games than open shared worlds.

Current MMORPGs not being as popular isn't due to open worlds, as there's plenty of games for consoles that are RPGs with open worlds. MMORPGs are unpopular on PC, so of course they aren't going to be huge successes on consoles. Although, no MMORPG brought to console are after huge gains, just some.

Either way, it's getting to a point where Xbox<-->PC is going to be normal, so in the future all devs would have to worry about is setting up a neutral ui, or different ui depending on whether played on an XBox or PC.

> @"Yamazuki.6073" said:

> > @"AlexxxDelta.1806" said:

> > Opening the game to the console market does nothing for Anet if that market doesn't give a kitten for the game or the genre itself. And prior evidence points to that. MMORPGS never appealed too much to the console crowd who is more used to lobby games than open shared worlds.

>

> Current MMORPGs not being as popular isn't due to open worlds, as there's plenty of games for consoles that are RPGs with open worlds. MMORPGs are unpopular on PC, so of course they aren't going to be huge successes on consoles. Although, no MMORPG brought to console are after huge gains, just some.

>

> Either way, it's getting to a point where Xbox<-->PC is going to be normal, so in the future all devs would have to worry about is setting up a neutral ui, or different ui depending on whether played on an XBox or PC.

MMORPGs and RPGs may have the same roots but they have evolved to be two different genres. Games like Witcher 3 or Fallout may be successful on console but they are nothing like a MMOrpg. Looter-shooters, FPS, battle royals and even sports games are far more popular on consoles when it comes to online. At this point of GW2's life, taking such a gamble for the small chance of "some gains" doesn't seem sensible.

And to your point about PC and Xbox interactivity, some games just don't translate well to console, no matter how hard MS may try to push it. MMOrpgs among them.

Considering PS 5 is confirmed to have Navi GPU, 8 core Ryzen gen 3 and SSD and Microsoft is committed to making a more powerful console than PS 5 i think GW 2 on next gen Xbox would be amazing and it would also motivate ArenaNet to rework their old engine into something more capable.

> @"Moodswings.5723" said:> I know this question has been beaten into the ground like a dead horse, but the answer is always, “the game probably can’t run, it barely runs on PC etc etc” but with the release of Xbox One X and better programming and hardware. We have games like DayZ, Tera, Black Desert Online, PuBG, and many more games that came from PC, while mind you, all played bad on PC. > > Pubg played bad on console at first, now it plays great, DayZ played bad at first, now is great, Tera, plays “okay”. And Black Desert (on Xbox one X) plays perfectly and plays still good on original Xbox. Black Desert is huge, and very visually demanding game, the controls are also very demanding and they managed it. > > Games like Dragon Age have always used a skill system like GW2 and ran fine. So I wouldn’t see it being that difficult. > > Better yet, throw GW1 on console and let us veterans have a go ;)> > Just a thought, no need to grill me. Here's a topic that was raised a while back in regards to controller supporthttps://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/783275technically you can already do it, Windows 10 natively supports XBOX controller, you just need to make the Dpad i guess

Porting the game to console is extremely difficult on last gen PS3 and XBOX 360, especially PS3 with its cell processor, was a nightmare for game developers to write gamesthat's basically triggered the reason why Sony ditched the cell processorbut PS4 and XBOX1 should not be difficult, the company I last worked for had access to the dev kits to XBOX1, and most of the hardware components are off the shelf PC parts

in terms of whether the console is capable of running the game, BDO's performance on XBOX is nothing comparable to PC version, Pearl Abyss had to scale back a lot of things.I would see no difference with GW2 despite it's almost a decade old game, because the devs had added lots of new additions to the game since LW S3, even on my old rig running 4770K with GTX 780 OC had to put all settings on lowest to run smooth without generating too much heat