Make more money Anet

Suggestions

* Introduce a new premium currency that can only be obtained with real world money, keep the old one for certain items, but upgrade items to premium status as well

* Charge for living story content

* make mini expansions for lower prices and release faster

* offer an optional subscription club with little xp and gold chance bonuses and maybe toss in 500 gems (not unlike ESO)

* lower the price of HoT permanently, otherwise there are those who will go to other places where they can get the game much cheaper (shouldn't that money go in your pocket?)

* crank out more skins for weapons, gliders, helmets, boots, and gloves (armor)

While it is all good and well, and we can all play once we have bought the game, the special cosmetics and cash shop items should not be free, or earned simply by farming gold. We already have content to "earn". Please, you are generous enough. It is time to start making more money so you can make more content.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let's go over them one by one

* no

* no

* no

* no

* you're argument is terrible but they probably should still consider a way to sell older xpacs cheaper

* would be nice but probably not

i'd give it a 1/6, it overall would just be pointless since anet is making enough money to support development and more money doesn't mean more good content (if it even would make them more money given that it would antagonize parts of their playerbase)

> @"derd.6413" said:

> let's go over them one by one

> * no

> * no

> * no

> * no

> * you're argument is terrible but they probably should still consider a way to sell older xpacs cheaper

> * would be nice but probably not

>

> i'd give it a 1/6, it overall would just be pointless since anet is making enough money to support development and more money doesn't mean more good content (if it even would make them more money given that it would antagonize parts of their playerbase)

players like you, who want everything free, are in large, part of the reason those layoff happened not to long ago. not all content will meet your standards of good, but more content is better than less content.

with no expansion on the horizon any time soon, how do you expect they will keep the lights on? how will they keep the wheel turning? magic?

the freeloader player base can be antagonized all day, they are not what keeps the game going.

EDIT: seriously, dude. what are your awesome suggestions that they can do right now and make more money. old content won't keep your game alive, especially when it's free to play. you slapped them all down like you have some kind of high ground, but what idea did you put forth? NONE.

> @"Crab Fear.1624" said:

> > @"derd.6413" said:

> > let's go over them one by one

> > * no

> > * no

> > * no

> > * no

> > * you're argument is terrible but they probably should still consider a way to sell older xpacs cheaper

> > * would be nice but probably not

> >

> > i'd give it a 1/6, it overall would just be pointless since anet is making enough money to support development and more money doesn't mean more good content (if it even would make them more money given that it would antagonize parts of their playerbase)

>

> players like you, who want everything free, are in large, part of the reason those layoff happened not to long ago. not all content will meet your standards of good, but more content is better than less content.

>

> with no expansion on the horizon any time soon, how do you expect they will keep the lights on? how will they keep the wheel turning? magic?

>

> the freeloader player base can be antagonized all day, they are not what keeps the game going.

>

>

The people were not let go because of players not buying gems, they were wasted resources on other projects. If you are so willing to pay why not a sub fee? Just put everything in game and charge 10 bucks a month. Im just saying this because you seem to think players are freeloading , this way you get your fancy gem items and anet makes revenue. It dont matter to me i paid a sub for 10 years to wow, but with a sub game everything is included in the game.

> > @"derd.6413" said:

> > let's go over them one by one

> > * no

> > * no

> > * no

> > * no

> > * you're argument is terrible but they probably should still consider a way to sell older xpacs cheaper

> > * would be nice but probably not

> >

> > i'd give it a 1/6, it overall would just be pointless since anet is making enough money to support development and more money doesn't mean more good content (if it even would make them more money given that it would antagonize parts of their playerbase)

>

> players like you, who want everything free, are in large, part of the reason those layoff happened not to long ago. not all content will meet your standards of good, but more content is better than less content.

>

> with no expansion on the horizon any time soon, how do you expect they will keep the lights on? how will they keep the wheel turning? magic?

>

> the freeloader player base can be antagonized all day, they are not what keeps the game going.

>

>

um no, anet lay-offs had nothing to do with anet not making enough money so you can cut the guilt tripping and i don't want everything for free, i want anet to not turn into EA or activision when it comes to monetization (or anything really)

anet makes enough money they're not going bankrupt. stop with that nonsense.

> * Charge for living story content

>

Unpopular opinion, but I think they should have done this in some way since the beginning. However, with S1 how it was they would have been crucified for even attempting to ask money for content that wasn't permanent.

Then when with S2, Living Story changed into more permanent content, well they technically charge for it already, but by then they had already set the expectation that story updates are free (which is why they are still free to this day, so long as you log in when it's new). Basically, they made their bed and now they have no choice but to lie in it as far as LS is concerned or brace for one epic backlash.

Now, if S1 was like S3-4 (or heck even S2, I suppose) and they would have made updates either entirely or at least mostly (e.g. "Current Events" style stuff for free, rest for gems, or even just occasional free episode here and there to get people hooked at the start of new story arcs) Gem store tied there wouldn't have been major backlash (because there wasn't any expectations for post launch content at the time) and even if they retained gold to gems conversion both the in-game economy of the whole game and revenue generated by LS would be entirely different today.

But as always, hindsight is 20/20. They put themselves in a corner with no way out because they built certain player expectations over the years. That while from consumer point of view are very friendly and certainly generate lot of good will from players hardly pay the bills effectively.

Something that could help the income (if they really wanted that, I think GW2 is quite profitable as it is) are optional subscriptions.

For example, the minimum amount of gems one can buy is 800 for $10. What if the optional subscription came at $5 a month, and in return you get 400 gems/month? It may seem like the same thing, but having people under a subscription gives an income baseline that doesn't depend on the creation of gem store items.

And then there's the benefit that sometimes people subscribe and forget about it even when they stop playing. :P

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > @"Crab Fear.1624" said:

> > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > let's go over them one by one

> > > * no

> > > * no

> > > * no

> > > * no

> > > * you're argument is terrible but they probably should still consider a way to sell older xpacs cheaper

> > > * would be nice but probably not

> > >

> > > i'd give it a 1/6, it overall would just be pointless since anet is making enough money to support development and more money doesn't mean more good content (if it even would make them more money given that it would antagonize parts of their playerbase)

> >

> > players like you, who want everything free, are in large, part of the reason those layoff happened not to long ago. not all content will meet your standards of good, but more content is better than less content.

> >

> > with no expansion on the horizon any time soon, how do you expect they will keep the lights on? how will they keep the wheel turning? magic?

> >

> > the freeloader player base can be antagonized all day, they are not what keeps the game going.

> >

> >

>

> um no, anet lay-offs had nothing to do with anet not making enough money so you can cut the guilt tripping and i don't want everything for free, i want anet to not turn into EA or activision when it comes to monetization (or anything really)

>

> anet makes enough money they're not going bankrupt. stop with that nonsense.

still no suggestions?

[Top 10 Reasons for Company Layoff](https://careers.alot.com/workplace-advice/top-10-reasons-for-company-layoffs--6460 "https://careers.alot.com/workplace-advice/top-10-reasons-for-company-layoffs--6460")

pick one of those reasons and we will see if we can't trace it back to money

> @"Skotlex.7580" said:

> Something that could help the income (if they really wanted that, I think GW2 is quite profitable as it is) are optional subscriptions.

>

> For example, the minimum amount of gems one can buy is 800 for $10. What if the optional subscription came at $5 a month, and in return you get 400 gems/month? It may seem like the same thing, but having people under a subscription gives an income baseline that doesn't depend on the creation of gem store items.

>

> And then there's the benefit that sometimes people subscribe and forget about it even when they stop playing. :P

>

I would do that. I think optional subs are a great idea, that way you are not forced to pay but the option is there with some benefits if you do. I would add in another perk like maybe discounts on gem store sales for subs.

> > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > @"Crab Fear.1624" said:

> > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > let's go over them one by one

> > > > * no

> > > > * no

> > > > * no

> > > > * no

> > > > * you're argument is terrible but they probably should still consider a way to sell older xpacs cheaper

> > > > * would be nice but probably not

> > > >

> > > > i'd give it a 1/6, it overall would just be pointless since anet is making enough money to support development and more money doesn't mean more good content (if it even would make them more money given that it would antagonize parts of their playerbase)

> > >

> > > players like you, who want everything free, are in large, part of the reason those layoff happened not to long ago. not all content will meet your standards of good, but more content is better than less content.

> > >

> > > with no expansion on the horizon any time soon, how do you expect they will keep the lights on? how will they keep the wheel turning? magic?

> > >

> > > the freeloader player base can be antagonized all day, they are not what keeps the game going.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > um no, anet lay-offs had nothing to do with anet not making enough money so you can cut the guilt tripping and i don't want everything for free, i want anet to not turn into EA or activision when it comes to monetization (or anything really)

> >

> > anet makes enough money they're not going bankrupt. stop with that nonsense.

>

> still no suggestions?

>

> [Top 10 Reasons for Company Layoff](https://careers.alot.com/workplace-advice/top-10-reasons-for-company-layoffs--6460 "https://careers.alot.com/workplace-advice/top-10-reasons-for-company-layoffs--6460")

>

> pick one of those reasons and we will see if we can't trace it back to money

really? a top 10 list is your "gotcha"? all you've managed to do is give me second hand embarrassment. (link doesn't even work at my end)

There is already a currency that can only be bought with real money : gems.

When you convert gold to gems, you are actually buying gems from someone who bought them for real money and converted it to gold. That is why there is a conversion rate : it is driven by supply and demand. Every single gem in game was initially bought, so Anet isnt giving away any gemstore item "for free".

> @"Joraan Adenard.2061" said:

> There is already a currency that can only be bought with real money : gems.

>

> When you convert gold to gems, you are actually buying gems from someone who bought them for real money and converted it to gold. That is why there is a conversion rate : it is driven by supply and demand. Every single gem in game was initially bought, so Anet isn't giving away any gemstore item "for free".

True.

Seems like the RMT portion of BL should be dumped.

Edit: There are enough gold sinks in the game to get rid of excess gold, Anet should sell gold currency as well, cut the players out of their earnings.

> @"Tiviana.2650" said:

> The people were not let go because of players not buying gems, they were wasted resources on other projects.

They only ended up as wasted resources because NCSoft stepped in and stopped it. Considering it seemed to come as a surprise to ArenaNet, they were either still profitable with 400, but NCSoft wanted a bigger short term return, or NCSoft lost faith in whatever type of game they were developing and pulled their investment. With WildStar failing and mobile sales being down, NCSoft probably just wanted to cut whatever they could to make this year appear better to investors.

Sales do need to improve, but not for the sake of GW2. They need to improve sales in order to justify themselves to NCSoft and get back on track to develop their next game, otherwise ArenaNet is the one at risk of not having a future.

> Suggestions

> * offer an optional subscription club with little xp and gold chance bonuses and maybe toss in 500 gems (not unlike ESO)

I think they could pull off an ESO style optional monthly sub with gems and some account perks. Just need to make sure its not perks that grant a player a competitive advantage.

> @"TheGrimm.5624" said:

> > Suggestions

> > * offer an optional subscription club with little xp and gold chance bonuses and maybe toss in 500 gems (not unlike ESO)

> I think they could pull off an ESO style optional monthly sub with gems and some account perks. Just need to make sure its not perks that grant a player a competitive advantage.

You mean like unlimited crafting material storage?

> @"Healix.5819" said:

> > @"Tiviana.2650" said:

> > The people were not let go because of players not buying gems, they were wasted resources on other projects.

>

> They only ended up as wasted resources because NCSoft stepped in and stopped it. Considering it seemed to come as a surprise to ArenaNet, they were either still profitable with 400, but NCSoft wanted a bigger short term return, or NCSoft lost faith in whatever type of game they were developing and pulled their investment. With WildStar failing and mobile sales being down, NCSoft probably just wanted to cut whatever they could to make this year appear better to investors.

>

> Sales do need to improve, but not for the sake of GW2. They need to improve sales in order to justify themselves to NCSoft and get back on track to develop their next game, otherwise ArenaNet is the one at risk of not having a future.

And thats the main point here, gw2 isnt osrs it doesnt work like osrs and it has an argueably smaller following than osrs.

Arenanet needs to move on with new projects so they can stay relevant.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> For the existing content charging its gem price wouldnt be unfair but for such small price it would rather be annoying.

>

> Id be more willing to pay for meatier updates that cost more. Something akin to eso dlc.

some eso style dlc content sounds like a good idea

ZZZ- BAD idea--it the OP is that concerned purchase 4000 gems every week with real money. I would really like to say what this idea ( and many others like subscription etc,) but I would cross the respect rules. So it's just a bad idea and you do not represent the community.

> > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > @"Crab Fear.1624" said:

> > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > let's go over them one by one

> > > > * no

> > > > * no

> > > > * no

> > > > * no

> > > > * you're argument is terrible but they probably should still consider a way to sell older xpacs cheaper

> > > > * would be nice but probably not

> > > >

> > > > i'd give it a 1/6, it overall would just be pointless since anet is making enough money to support development and more money doesn't mean more good content (if it even would make them more money given that it would antagonize parts of their playerbase)

> > >

> > > players like you, who want everything free, are in large, part of the reason those layoff happened not to long ago. not all content will meet your standards of good, but more content is better than less content.

> > >

> > > with no expansion on the horizon any time soon, how do you expect they will keep the lights on? how will they keep the wheel turning? magic?

> > >

> > > the freeloader player base can be antagonized all day, they are not what keeps the game going.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > um no, anet lay-offs had nothing to do with anet not making enough money so you can cut the guilt tripping and i don't want everything for free, i want anet to not turn into EA or activision when it comes to monetization (or anything really)

> >

> > anet makes enough money they're not going bankrupt. stop with that nonsense.

>

> still no suggestions?

>

> [Top 10 Reasons for Company Layoff](https://careers.alot.com/workplace-advice/top-10-reasons-for-company-layoffs--6460 "https://careers.alot.com/workplace-advice/top-10-reasons-for-company-layoffs--6460")

>

> pick one of those reasons and we will see if we can't trace it back to money

Buy 4000 gems every week with real money and you can feel better.

> @"Blude.6812" said:

> ZZZ- BAD idea--it the OP is that concerned purchase 4000 gems every week with real money. I would really like to say what this idea ( and many others like subscription etc,) but I would cross the respect rules. So it's just a bad idea and you do not represent the community.

you dont rep it either obviously because i am part of it

This thread is mostly pointless...

Making mandatory payments for small updates will not help. The only thing which will revitalize the game a bit is: new content, I still miss 45% of the skins ingame. I'm not willing to pay much for new ones, especially not RNG or locked behind the BL store. New content should be something to look forward to we had small parts and LW seasons with little map expansion and it was okay, we have been doused in new maps for the last 2 seasons. New Meta';s, new mounts, new skins, new games, new everything.

People who play this game because of the lack of subscription will not pay anyways. People who do buy gems will do so.

This game is almost 7 years old and still going with patches delivered at more or less consistent intervals.

The base of this game is an really old engine, software from the digital middleages even if I try to put it mildly

The PC community is getting smaller, as is the PC gaming community, PC users are ageing, The PC is very 1983, and has less appeal in 2019.

People who are young now have a mobile phone and are less interested in a Gaming Rig or Gaming Laptop, the need to have both is becoming less important

People buy 700-1200 euro mobile, a 500 euro console and 400 euro laptop instead of 2000 euro PC's and 100 euro phones

The budget the previous generation used for gaming is going toward phonecosts and bundles for all kinds of services.

Real high end gaming gear is rediculously expensive with 1200 euro GPU's and 500 euro CPU's for mainstream (lol) high end gaming.

As for Guild Wars 2:

Yes, I love this game, I have spent roughly 10 euro for each week I played, I bought this game long before we experienced "headstart"

I did play most content, I saw the living world and experienced the changing during LW S1, the development of the game throughout 2 expansions and several seasons of The Living Story, I saw great progression and traveled further into the unknown.

Maybe I played not much PvP, but I was active even there, I have played WvW, with passion, on several servers.

I've got 25+ characters in mostly ascended gear, and a main with mostly Legendary gear including 2 swords, a bow, warhorn, shield,torch, back, armor and then some...

I have several other well developed characters with legendaries, staves, bows, scepters, backs...

I have done map completion 15+ times, I have full exploration on at least 2 characters, and I mean full, that includes unloacks of all maps, done all content

And I am nearly at 14K hours logged in/or played. I'm lvl 100 fractals, did raids, am very close to dungeon master, but HotW still is not my dungeon.

I've been member of glorious servers, lovely guilds, and made good friends in these 6 years....

But time is moving on, I have 2 kids who are growing up, 1 was 1 year old when I started playing GW2 the other one not even in the planning,

The family needs time, and more then 14000 hours in the next 6 years.

So I log in less frequent, lose contacts, lose guilds.... friends move on.

Guild Wars 2 is a worthwhile title, with a nice community, nice content, and a lot of playability and a nice staff, and capable programmers.

But it's not new, and rarely in the spotlight anymore, even tough it deserves to be there

The hype is gone, regarding the PC as platform, and Guild Wars 2 as the game as it was presented to be in 2012.

The now adult and fullgrown version of Guild Wars 2 remains.

In a slowing market, not visible , not on Steam..... and is therefore gradually fading out.

It will not die for quite some time, and hopefully be playable for another 5 to 10 years, but it will come to an end. Someday.

And even then Guild Wars 2 will remain a good memory, as will be the players I played with, in a world I loved, in a world I lived in most of my spare time for over 6 years.

I'll think back of adventures with my Warriors, Necro's, Rangers, Elementalists and other classes and specilisations. Remember the Guild Hall I captured with friends, and build up in my small guild for friends, the struggles I went through to build it up and the temple I build there to honor my servicedog. The game will probably outlast him as well.

Many things have happened, and many more are to happen still, Neither the game, nor the story, can end here.

Seeing this game move on and continually growing is still my hope, so I can return and be with my friends once more, in Tyria.

> > @"Blude.6812" said:

> > ZZZ- BAD idea--it the OP is that concerned purchase 4000 gems every week with real money. I would really like to say what this idea ( and many others like subscription etc,) but I would cross the respect rules. So it's just a bad idea and you do not represent the community.

>

> you dont rep it either obviously because i am part of it

With a personal agenda that is in the minority-- look at every other thread that suggests similar ideas and they are dismissed by most. As I said if you really cared you would buy gems every week instead of promoting a socialist idea of spreading your pain to those that want NO part of it. I am sure Anet will file this in the big round bucket like they have with similar misguided ideas.

>

>

>

> EDIT: seriously, dude. what are your awesome suggestions that they can do right now and make more money. old content won't keep your game alive, especially when it's free to play. you slapped them all down like you have some kind of high ground, but what idea did you put forth? NONE.

No idea why you attack this person.

Just for the case you didn't notice. The lights will go off anyways.

If you decide to throw money at a dying game it's your thing to do. But don't attack people who are not oblivious to the world around them.

Firing a huge chunk of the staff including key position people and openly announcing there will be no future content is not ringing a bell i assume.

> @"Kurrilino.2706" said:

> > players like you, who want everything free, are in large, part of the reason those layoff happened not to long ago. not all content will meet your standards of good, but more content is better than less content.

> >

> > with no expansion on the horizon any time soon, how do you expect they will keep the lights on? how will they keep the wheel turning? magic?

> >

> > the freeloader player base can be antagonized all day, they are not what keeps the game going.

> >

> > EDIT: seriously, dude. what are your awesome suggestions that they can do right now and make more money. old content won't keep your game alive, especially when it's free to play. you slapped them all down like you have some kind of high ground, but what idea did you put forth? NONE.

>

>

> No idea why you attack this person.

> Just for the case you didn't notice. The lights will go off anyways.

> If you decide to throw money at a dying game it's your thing to do. But don't attack people who are not oblivious to the world around them.

>

> Firing a huge chunk of the staff including key position people and openly announcing there will be no future content is not ringing a bell i assume.

When did they say no future content? I saw that no expansion were currently in the works, but I also saw they are moving forward with LS content as planned. Since that is not today, that is future content.

Whatever the direction was, it was obviously wrong.

Also for attacking "this person", read their initial response to my OP. Imagine they responded in that way to a list of your suggestions to get some perspective.

The game needs revenue to survive. More free content, and no expansion in sight doesn't feel good.

If the game dies, I can move on and forget it. It's not a family member or a pet, but it has been a good way to past time and drink beer.