Magic Find

So, what is the point of this stat? they even said in the patch notes that players that spent tons of time and or gold shouldn't get any advantage from it when opening unidentified loot, and they are changing most drops to unidentified gear. Arenanet, max magic find on purpose can cost thousands of gold, and just by salvaging drops can take a very long time, why take away the little benefits it has?

> @"Wyvern.5329" said:

> So, what is the point of this stat? they even said in the patch notes that players that spent tons of time and or gold shouldn't get any advantage from it when opening unidentified loot, and they are changing most drops to unidentified gear.

Magic Find has always had a measurable impact on loot and it will continue to do so. What changed in the patch is that it will stop counting twice. Magic Find will continue to offer its originally intended benefit: to offer better loot when killing foes, that can be seen in the long run.

> Arenanet, max magic find on purpose can cost thousands of gold,

It needn't cost anything and regardless, the different between 0% and 300% was not the big difference for unID gear. The more significant gap was from 300% to 900%+, for those who were patient enough to gain all the buffs.

> and just by salvaging drops can take a very long time, why take away the little benefits it has?

Magic Find doesn't influence salvaging and never has.

Additionally, salvaging has never been faster, with "salvage all."

Magic find has a very real and measurable effect on the amount of crafting trophies and loot bags (e.g. heavy moldy bag, bag of alchemical materials, etc.). These items make up the bulk of loot from non-Champion kills anyways.

[Here](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/35063/research-drop-rates-of-materials-from-foes-and-influence-of-magic-find) is some data. Basically, at 500% MF you get 50% more crafting mats and 50% fewer junk rarity items (porous bone, etc.) than you do at 0% MF. It adds up.

> @"Wyvern.5329" said:

> So, what is the point of this stat? they even said in the patch notes that players that spent tons of time and or gold shouldn't get any advantage from it when opening unidentified loot, and they are changing most drops to unidentified gear. Arenanet, max magic find on purpose can cost thousands of gold, and just by salvaging drops can take a very long time, why take away the little benefits it has?

Wouldn't it still have effect on which drops you actually get, like higher magic find will yield more unidentified yellows? Once you get those drops, it won't matter, but getting them initially should still be affected by magic find. That's how I took the changes.

I made a mistake, I had to reread it a few times to understand what was wrong, you all are right, it would still be effective on the drops you do get, I blame my overly tired brain on this skipping parts of the text every time i read it till after i read all the post. I was thinking they replaced ALL equipment drops with it except the unique stuff. I am sorry Arenanet, I have made a bad error on my part. I also didnt think of the rarity of the unidentified drops. I'll stop making forum post when too tired to understand things, it is my bad.

edit

And thank you all for helping point it out!

> @"Wyvern.5329" said:

> I made a mistake, I had to reread it a few times to understand what was wrong, you all are right, it would still be effective on the drops you do get, I blame my overly tired brain on this skipping parts of the text every time i read it till after i read all the post. I was thinking they replaced ALL equipment drops with it except the unique stuff. I am sorry Arenanet, I have made a bad error on my part. I also didnt think of the rarity of the unidentified drops. I'll stop making forum post when too tired to understand things, it is my bad.

>

> edit

> And thank you all for helping point it out!

Thanks for posting that.

To be fair to yourself, you're not the only one who had the same idea. (And, I'm afraid, some of those people are veterans who were quite awake when they misunderstood.) Besides which, it's a subtle mechanic: we cannot see the impact easily in just an hour or two of casual gameplay, especially since it's no longer possible to play at 0% magic find after becoming a veteran.

> @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> The change to magic find means you no longer have to consume 1000 different boosters and complete the SW meta before you can open your Un ID gear anymore.

Which is a much more relevant impact than the potential double dipping that was mentioned but I guess that is much easier to explain.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > The change to magic find means you no longer have to consume 1000 different boosters and complete the SW meta before you can open your Un ID gear anymore.

>

> Which is a much more relevant impact than the potential double dipping that was mentioned but I guess that is much easier to explain.

>

>

I'm being overly simplistic ofc, but really we should just take what ANET said about the change:

>Secondly, we want to make unidentified gear worth equal value to all players, and not worth more to players with higher magic-find potential

Whether you agree with that direction or not is a different discussion, but this is one of their goals behind the change.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Wyvern.5329" said:

> > So, what is the point of this stat? they even said in the patch notes that players that spent tons of time and or gold shouldn't get any advantage from it when opening unidentified loot, and they are changing most drops to unidentified gear.

>

> Magic Find has always had a measurable impact on loot and it will continue to do so. What changed in the patch is that it will stop counting twice.

Seriously, stop with that misinformation. Unids didn't really drop directly (PoF mobs still dropped normal stuff, not unids, for the most part). They dropped from chests/bags, and thus _weren't_ affected by MF twice.

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> Seriously, stop with that misinformation. Unids didn't really drop directly (PoF mobs still dropped normal stuff, not unids, for the most part). They dropped from chests/bags, and thus _weren't_ affected by MF twice.

>

>

I'm not sure what PoF you were playing, but PoF mobs definitely drop unid gear directly. Forged absolutely rain unids, in one of my trials I got 40 blue and 5 green unid from 170 kills. Other mobs can drop more than one blue or green unid at times. The only foes that don't actually drop unids are in the living story maps when mob types got brought over from the rest of the game (inquest and others). I believe that every mob that appears in PoF can drop unid gear.

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Wyvern.5329" said:

> > > So, what is the point of this stat? they even said in the patch notes that players that spent tons of time and or gold shouldn't get any advantage from it when opening unidentified loot, and they are changing most drops to unidentified gear.

> >

> > Magic Find has always had a measurable impact on loot and it will continue to do so. What changed in the patch is that it will stop counting twice.

> Seriously, stop with that misinformation. Unids didn't really drop directly (PoF mobs still dropped normal stuff, not unids, for the most part). They dropped from chests/bags, and thus _weren't_ affected by MF twice.

>

>

* Magic Find has _always_ affected the loot that drops from foes and it continues to do so.

* It now no longer affects the results of identifying unID gear, which was its second impact, when PoF launched.

If the mob dropped gear in the past, MF influenced whether it was white, blue, or green (and sometimes better). If the mob dropped unID, MF influenced how much and whether it was blue|green|rare (or exotic). It's impossible to go back and check, of course, but maybe you can find some screens of which new-to-PoF mobs you think were dropping ordinary gear.

Perhaps the confusion comes from you're not being able to readily compare what would happen to mob drops if you had 0% MF, ending up with more garbage. Or perhaps the confusion arises because it was so, so easy to boost MF to higher-than-typical levels to open unID gear that we ignored the impact of MF on the drops we got from mobs in the first place.

I think the confusion stems from the fact that POF mobs /used/ to drop both unid AND regular gear--see my post above where a Palawadan would still fill my bags with regular gear along with unids.

It really has condensed drops into unids, with only a very few dropping regular gear now(maybe from one of those tables with regional stuff? I will try to keep an eye on what and when I get regular gear drops). For instance earlier I did a Triple Trouble and got 1 actual rare piece, everything else was either directly unids or unids in a champ bag with mats and such. And a south oil meta snagged me unids and one white dagger plus the bags from champs. The reward at the end boss was unids and vm, plus of course, the plate. Is anyone keeping a record somewhere? I am curious as to the drop rate, now that the prices have plummeted so far.

> @"Etria.3642" said:

> I am curious as to the drop rate,

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/72364/unidentified-gear-new-data-on-salvaging-versus-identifying-in-the-post-magic-find-world

That just covers greens, for which we didn't have great data prior to the patch. I expect that we'll have more details.

> now that the prices have plummeted so far.

They are volatile. Of course they dropped today, as there was an immediate increase in the supply and an immediate drop in demand (since those with high MF no longer have any interest in buying).

Over time, that's going to change again, since there's no longer a huge faucet of ecto coming from the blue & green unID. I expect the market will fall some more then, as ecto goes up, prices will start to inch up. In six months, I doubt we'll see 2s per green-unID.