What happened to Thief's "Dual Wield" mechanic?

DonArkanio.6419

> @"Sir Vincent III.1286" said:

> > @"melandru.3876" said:

> > > @"Phoenixtwolf.9213" said:

> > > > @"melandru.3876" said:

> > > > google the word "dual wield", there question answered

> > > >

> > > > is having a staff equiped giving you 2 different staves, one in each hand? if the answer is yes, then you are dual wielding staves

> > > >

> > > > it's the same for weaver, not only thief.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > First of all weaver is an elite so I don't see how you think this has anything thing to do with the statement about "why they are only giving 2 handed weapon and not a 1 hand weapon that will allow the (CORE) mechanic to be utilized more which is (the 3rd weapon sill changes with each different off hand weapon) (or if no off and weapon as well) so in core we have (dagger, pistol, sword) for example (with the Sword main hand) just sword -- [stab](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stab_(thief_sword_skill) "Stab"), with dagger -- [Flank](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Flanking_Strike "Flank"), with pistol -- [pistol whip](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pistol_Whip "pistol whip") This is what he is talking about when saying duel wield. (it even shows it on the 3rd skill in text "duel wield" when u have 2 1 handed weapons.

> > >

> > > A reason of maybe why only 2 hand weapons been intruded on the game so far:

> > > Well think of it we have 3 main and 2 off hand

> > > if we got a new main hand we wold have 3 new weapons skills right away and when using pistol or dagger we get an extra 1 for each so 2 more so 3 + 2 = 5 new skills

> > > Now what if we got got a off hand

> > > 2 new and with Sword, dagger or pistol 3 diff sills 1 for each 2+3 = 5

> > > so when it all adds up it does not matter what we get if 1 hand or 2 hand we will get a total of 5 new skills each time.

> > >

> > > So personally I don't think it is because it would be to complected to do (after all it is just 5 skills no different then a 2h weapon) and also they have done it for the Elementalist which gets at least 4X2 if just an off hand it would be 8 skills if main it would be 12 or 2h would be 20

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > thanks for explaining, i have only 1700 hours played on thief /s

> >

> > weapons fit the theme, ever thought about that?

> >

> > what weapon would you give a daredevil? melee staff was the only logical choice...and yes it's a two-handed

>

> Dual-weilding clubs, mace, fist-weapon.

>

> > what weapon would you give a deadeye? rifle was the only logical choice...and yes it's a two-handed

> >

>

> A cane? lol

if i remember correct anet said they would never put new weapons in the game (people were asking for a two handed axe if i remember ) so fist weapons is no option

a club and a mace is the same weapon i believe, and mace would fit more the spec of sapper/saboteur a spec about dismanteling/disrupting or just cc in general

like how world of warcraft rogues used to play :p

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"melandru.3876" said:

> > @"Sir Vincent III.1286" said:

> > > @"melandru.3876" said:

> > > > @"Phoenixtwolf.9213" said:

> > > > > @"melandru.3876" said:

> > > > > google the word "dual wield", there question answered

> > > > >

> > > > > is having a staff equiped giving you 2 different staves, one in each hand? if the answer is yes, then you are dual wielding staves

> > > > >

> > > > > it's the same for weaver, not only thief.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > First of all weaver is an elite so I don't see how you think this has anything thing to do with the statement about "why they are only giving 2 handed weapon and not a 1 hand weapon that will allow the (CORE) mechanic to be utilized more which is (the 3rd weapon sill changes with each different off hand weapon) (or if no off and weapon as well) so in core we have (dagger, pistol, sword) for example (with the Sword main hand) just sword -- [stab](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stab_(thief_sword_skill) "Stab"), with dagger -- [Flank](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Flanking_Strike "Flank"), with pistol -- [pistol whip](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pistol_Whip "pistol whip") This is what he is talking about when saying duel wield. (it even shows it on the 3rd skill in text "duel wield" when u have 2 1 handed weapons.

> > > >

> > > > A reason of maybe why only 2 hand weapons been intruded on the game so far:

> > > > Well think of it we have 3 main and 2 off hand

> > > > if we got a new main hand we wold have 3 new weapons skills right away and when using pistol or dagger we get an extra 1 for each so 2 more so 3 + 2 = 5 new skills

> > > > Now what if we got got a off hand

> > > > 2 new and with Sword, dagger or pistol 3 diff sills 1 for each 2+3 = 5

> > > > so when it all adds up it does not matter what we get if 1 hand or 2 hand we will get a total of 5 new skills each time.

> > > >

> > > > So personally I don't think it is because it would be to complected to do (after all it is just 5 skills no different then a 2h weapon) and also they have done it for the Elementalist which gets at least 4X2 if just an off hand it would be 8 skills if main it would be 12 or 2h would be 20

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > thanks for explaining, i have only 1700 hours played on thief /s

> > >

> > > weapons fit the theme, ever thought about that?

> > >

> > > what weapon would you give a daredevil? melee staff was the only logical choice...and yes it's a two-handed

> >

> > Dual-weilding clubs, mace, fist-weapon.

> >

> > > what weapon would you give a deadeye? rifle was the only logical choice...and yes it's a two-handed

> > >

> >

> > A cane? lol

>

> if i remember correct anet said they would never put new weapons in the game (people were asking for a two handed axe if i remember ) so fist weapons is no option

> a club and a mace is the same weapon i believe, and mace would fit more the spec of sapper/saboteur a spec about dismanteling/disrupting or just cc in general

> like how world of warcraft rogues used to play :p

That is exactly what the OP is asking. It seems that ArenaNet have ignored the Dual Wielding mechanic of the Thief. Instead, they took that mechanic and gave it the Elementalist. Even if they choose not to add new weapons to the game for the players (obviously mobs got new weapons in Elona seeing them wielding spears and scythes) they could have given the Thief weapons that uses the full potential of the Dual Wield mechanic instead of 2H weapons twice in a row.

Every other profession has taken from the Thief; Guardian using shadowstep, Mirage using stealth attack, Weaver using dual wield, Spellbreaker is what Shadow Magic is suppose to be doing, and Reaver is what Thief dual-wielding swords is suppose to be. What has the Thief taken from other professions? Cantrip? Physical? A bunch of rubbish. It would have been better if we can take cloning from Mesmers and create shadow clones. Or have our own Shadow Attunement in exchange to weapon swap.

Bottom line, too many missed opportunities and misuse of the Thief's potential.

> > > @"Sir Vincent III.1286" said:

> > > > > @"Phoenixtwolf.9213" said:

> > > > > > @"melandru.3876" said:

> > > > > > google the word "dual wield", there question answered

> > > > > >

> > > > > > is having a staff equiped giving you 2 different staves, one in each hand? if the answer is yes, then you are dual wielding staves

> > > > > >

> > > > > > it's the same for weaver, not only thief.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > First of all weaver is an elite so I don't see how you think this has anything thing to do with the statement about "why they are only giving 2 handed weapon and not a 1 hand weapon that will allow the (CORE) mechanic to be utilized more which is (the 3rd weapon sill changes with each different off hand weapon) (or if no off and weapon as well) so in core we have (dagger, pistol, sword) for example (with the Sword main hand) just sword -- [stab](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stab_(thief_sword_skill) "Stab"), with dagger -- [Flank](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Flanking_Strike "Flank"), with pistol -- [pistol whip](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pistol_Whip "pistol whip") This is what he is talking about when saying duel wield. (it even shows it on the 3rd skill in text "duel wield" when u have 2 1 handed weapons.

> > > > >

> > > > > A reason of maybe why only 2 hand weapons been intruded on the game so far:

> > > > > Well think of it we have 3 main and 2 off hand

> > > > > if we got a new main hand we wold have 3 new weapons skills right away and when using pistol or dagger we get an extra 1 for each so 2 more so 3 + 2 = 5 new skills

> > > > > Now what if we got got a off hand

> > > > > 2 new and with Sword, dagger or pistol 3 diff sills 1 for each 2+3 = 5

> > > > > so when it all adds up it does not matter what we get if 1 hand or 2 hand we will get a total of 5 new skills each time.

> > > > >

> > > > > So personally I don't think it is because it would be to complected to do (after all it is just 5 skills no different then a 2h weapon) and also they have done it for the Elementalist which gets at least 4X2 if just an off hand it would be 8 skills if main it would be 12 or 2h would be 20

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > thanks for explaining, i have only 1700 hours played on thief /s

> > > >

> > > > weapons fit the theme, ever thought about that?

> > > >

> > > > what weapon would you give a daredevil? melee staff was the only logical choice...and yes it's a two-handed

> > >

> > > Dual-weilding clubs, mace, fist-weapon.

> > >

> > > > what weapon would you give a deadeye? rifle was the only logical choice...and yes it's a two-handed

> > > >

> > >

> > > A cane? lol

> >

> > if i remember correct anet said they would never put new weapons in the game (people were asking for a two handed axe if i remember ) so fist weapons is no option

> > a club and a mace is the same weapon i believe, and mace would fit more the spec of sapper/saboteur a spec about dismanteling/disrupting or just cc in general

> > like how world of warcraft rogues used to play :p

>

> That is exactly what the OP is asking. It seems that ArenaNet have ignored the Dual Wielding mechanic of the Thief. Instead, they took that mechanic and gave it the Elementalist. Even if they choose not to add new weapons to the game for the players (obviously mobs got new weapons in Elona seeing them wielding spears and scythes) they could have given the Thief weapons that uses the full potential of the Dual Wield mechanic instead of 2H weapons twice in a row.

>

> Every other profession has taken from the Thief; Guardian using shadowstep, Mirage using stealth attack, Weaver using dual wield, Spellbreaker is what Shadow Magic is suppose to be doing, and Reaver is what Thief dual-wielding swords is suppose to be. What has the Thief taken from other professions? Cantrip? Physical? A bunch of rubbish. It would have been better if we can take cloning from Mesmers and create shadow clones. Or have our own Shadow Attunement in exchange to weapon swap.

>

> Bottom line, too many missed opportunities and misuse of the Thief's potential.

i wouldn't say that guardian "stole" shadowstepping from thief. guards have it since release, so does thiefs

> @"melandru.3876" said:

> > > > @"Sir Vincent III.1286" said:

> > > > > > @"Phoenixtwolf.9213" said:

> > > > > > > @"melandru.3876" said:

> > > > > > > google the word "dual wield", there question answered

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > is having a staff equiped giving you 2 different staves, one in each hand? if the answer is yes, then you are dual wielding staves

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > it's the same for weaver, not only thief.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > First of all weaver is an elite so I don't see how you think this has anything thing to do with the statement about "why they are only giving 2 handed weapon and not a 1 hand weapon that will allow the (CORE) mechanic to be utilized more which is (the 3rd weapon sill changes with each different off hand weapon) (or if no off and weapon as well) so in core we have (dagger, pistol, sword) for example (with the Sword main hand) just sword -- [stab](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stab_(thief_sword_skill) "Stab"), with dagger -- [Flank](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Flanking_Strike "Flank"), with pistol -- [pistol whip](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pistol_Whip "pistol whip") This is what he is talking about when saying duel wield. (it even shows it on the 3rd skill in text "duel wield" when u have 2 1 handed weapons.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > A reason of maybe why only 2 hand weapons been intruded on the game so far:

> > > > > > Well think of it we have 3 main and 2 off hand

> > > > > > if we got a new main hand we wold have 3 new weapons skills right away and when using pistol or dagger we get an extra 1 for each so 2 more so 3 + 2 = 5 new skills

> > > > > > Now what if we got got a off hand

> > > > > > 2 new and with Sword, dagger or pistol 3 diff sills 1 for each 2+3 = 5

> > > > > > so when it all adds up it does not matter what we get if 1 hand or 2 hand we will get a total of 5 new skills each time.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > So personally I don't think it is because it would be to complected to do (after all it is just 5 skills no different then a 2h weapon) and also they have done it for the Elementalist which gets at least 4X2 if just an off hand it would be 8 skills if main it would be 12 or 2h would be 20

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > thanks for explaining, i have only 1700 hours played on thief /s

> > > > >

> > > > > weapons fit the theme, ever thought about that?

> > > > >

> > > > > what weapon would you give a daredevil? melee staff was the only logical choice...and yes it's a two-handed

> > > >

> > > > Dual-weilding clubs, mace, fist-weapon.

> > > >

> > > > > what weapon would you give a deadeye? rifle was the only logical choice...and yes it's a two-handed

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > A cane? lol

> > >

> > > if i remember correct anet said they would never put new weapons in the game (people were asking for a two handed axe if i remember ) so fist weapons is no option

> > > a club and a mace is the same weapon i believe, and mace would fit more the spec of sapper/saboteur a spec about dismanteling/disrupting or just cc in general

> > > like how world of warcraft rogues used to play :p

> >

> > That is exactly what the OP is asking. It seems that ArenaNet have ignored the Dual Wielding mechanic of the Thief. Instead, they took that mechanic and gave it the Elementalist. Even if they choose not to add new weapons to the game for the players (obviously mobs got new weapons in Elona seeing them wielding spears and scythes) they could have given the Thief weapons that uses the full potential of the Dual Wield mechanic instead of 2H weapons twice in a row.

> >

> > Every other profession has taken from the Thief; Guardian using shadowstep, Mirage using stealth attack, Weaver using dual wield, Spellbreaker is what Shadow Magic is suppose to be doing, and Reaver is what Thief dual-wielding swords is suppose to be. What has the Thief taken from other professions? Cantrip? Physical? A bunch of rubbish. It would have been better if we can take cloning from Mesmers and create shadow clones. Or have our own Shadow Attunement in exchange to weapon swap.

> >

> > Bottom line, too many missed opportunities and misuse of the Thief's potential.

>

> i wouldn't say that guardian "stole" shadowstepping from thief. guards have it since release, so does thiefs

If you look at Judge's Intervention it says "teleport" but Merciful Intervention says "shadowstep". To me, this evidence shows that the skill of Merciful Intervention was meant to be a Thief skill, but stolen and renamed for the Guardian. They may have stolen it in the last minute and forgotten to rewrite the description. Guardian has no business in the shadow let alone be able to shadowstep.

However, that's besides my point.

> > > > > @"Sir Vincent III.1286" said:

> > > > > > > @"Phoenixtwolf.9213" said:

> > > > > > > > @"melandru.3876" said:

> > > > > > > > google the word "dual wield", there question answered

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > is having a staff equiped giving you 2 different staves, one in each hand? if the answer is yes, then you are dual wielding staves

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > it's the same for weaver, not only thief.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > First of all weaver is an elite so I don't see how you think this has anything thing to do with the statement about "why they are only giving 2 handed weapon and not a 1 hand weapon that will allow the (CORE) mechanic to be utilized more which is (the 3rd weapon sill changes with each different off hand weapon) (or if no off and weapon as well) so in core we have (dagger, pistol, sword) for example (with the Sword main hand) just sword -- [stab](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stab_(thief_sword_skill) "Stab"), with dagger -- [Flank](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Flanking_Strike "Flank"), with pistol -- [pistol whip](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pistol_Whip "pistol whip") This is what he is talking about when saying duel wield. (it even shows it on the 3rd skill in text "duel wield" when u have 2 1 handed weapons.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > A reason of maybe why only 2 hand weapons been intruded on the game so far:

> > > > > > > Well think of it we have 3 main and 2 off hand

> > > > > > > if we got a new main hand we wold have 3 new weapons skills right away and when using pistol or dagger we get an extra 1 for each so 2 more so 3 + 2 = 5 new skills

> > > > > > > Now what if we got got a off hand

> > > > > > > 2 new and with Sword, dagger or pistol 3 diff sills 1 for each 2+3 = 5

> > > > > > > so when it all adds up it does not matter what we get if 1 hand or 2 hand we will get a total of 5 new skills each time.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > So personally I don't think it is because it would be to complected to do (after all it is just 5 skills no different then a 2h weapon) and also they have done it for the Elementalist which gets at least 4X2 if just an off hand it would be 8 skills if main it would be 12 or 2h would be 20

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > thanks for explaining, i have only 1700 hours played on thief /s

> > > > > >

> > > > > > weapons fit the theme, ever thought about that?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > what weapon would you give a daredevil? melee staff was the only logical choice...and yes it's a two-handed

> > > > >

> > > > > Dual-weilding clubs, mace, fist-weapon.

> > > > >

> > > > > > what weapon would you give a deadeye? rifle was the only logical choice...and yes it's a two-handed

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > A cane? lol

> > > >

> > > > if i remember correct anet said they would never put new weapons in the game (people were asking for a two handed axe if i remember ) so fist weapons is no option

> > > > a club and a mace is the same weapon i believe, and mace would fit more the spec of sapper/saboteur a spec about dismanteling/disrupting or just cc in general

> > > > like how world of warcraft rogues used to play :p

> > >

> > > That is exactly what the OP is asking. It seems that ArenaNet have ignored the Dual Wielding mechanic of the Thief. Instead, they took that mechanic and gave it the Elementalist. Even if they choose not to add new weapons to the game for the players (obviously mobs got new weapons in Elona seeing them wielding spears and scythes) they could have given the Thief weapons that uses the full potential of the Dual Wield mechanic instead of 2H weapons twice in a row.

> > >

> > > Every other profession has taken from the Thief; Guardian using shadowstep, Mirage using stealth attack, Weaver using dual wield, Spellbreaker is what Shadow Magic is suppose to be doing, and Reaver is what Thief dual-wielding swords is suppose to be. What has the Thief taken from other professions? Cantrip? Physical? A bunch of rubbish. It would have been better if we can take cloning from Mesmers and create shadow clones. Or have our own Shadow Attunement in exchange to weapon swap.

> > >

> > > Bottom line, too many missed opportunities and misuse of the Thief's potential.

> >

> > i wouldn't say that guardian "stole" shadowstepping from thief. guards have it since release, so does thiefs

>

> If you look at Judge's Intervention it says "teleport" but Merciful Intervention says "shadowstep". To me, this evidence shows that the skill of Merciful Intervention was meant to be a Thief skill, but stolen and renamed for the Guardian. They may have stolen it in the last minute and forgotten to rewrite the description. Guardian has no business in the shadow let alone be able to shadowstep.

>

> However, that's besides my point.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shadowstep_(mechanic)

more then just guard tho

> @"melandru.3876" said:

> > > > > > @"Sir Vincent III.1286" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Phoenixtwolf.9213" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"melandru.3876" said:

> > > > > > > > > google the word "dual wield", there question answered

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > is having a staff equiped giving you 2 different staves, one in each hand? if the answer is yes, then you are dual wielding staves

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > it's the same for weaver, not only thief.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > First of all weaver is an elite so I don't see how you think this has anything thing to do with the statement about "why they are only giving 2 handed weapon and not a 1 hand weapon that will allow the (CORE) mechanic to be utilized more which is (the 3rd weapon sill changes with each different off hand weapon) (or if no off and weapon as well) so in core we have (dagger, pistol, sword) for example (with the Sword main hand) just sword -- [stab](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stab_(thief_sword_skill) "Stab"), with dagger -- [Flank](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Flanking_Strike "Flank"), with pistol -- [pistol whip](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pistol_Whip "pistol whip") This is what he is talking about when saying duel wield. (it even shows it on the 3rd skill in text "duel wield" when u have 2 1 handed weapons.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > A reason of maybe why only 2 hand weapons been intruded on the game so far:

> > > > > > > > Well think of it we have 3 main and 2 off hand

> > > > > > > > if we got a new main hand we wold have 3 new weapons skills right away and when using pistol or dagger we get an extra 1 for each so 2 more so 3 + 2 = 5 new skills

> > > > > > > > Now what if we got got a off hand

> > > > > > > > 2 new and with Sword, dagger or pistol 3 diff sills 1 for each 2+3 = 5

> > > > > > > > so when it all adds up it does not matter what we get if 1 hand or 2 hand we will get a total of 5 new skills each time.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > So personally I don't think it is because it would be to complected to do (after all it is just 5 skills no different then a 2h weapon) and also they have done it for the Elementalist which gets at least 4X2 if just an off hand it would be 8 skills if main it would be 12 or 2h would be 20

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > thanks for explaining, i have only 1700 hours played on thief /s

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > weapons fit the theme, ever thought about that?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > what weapon would you give a daredevil? melee staff was the only logical choice...and yes it's a two-handed

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Dual-weilding clubs, mace, fist-weapon.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > > what weapon would you give a deadeye? rifle was the only logical choice...and yes it's a two-handed

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > A cane? lol

> > > > >

> > > > > if i remember correct anet said they would never put new weapons in the game (people were asking for a two handed axe if i remember ) so fist weapons is no option

> > > > > a club and a mace is the same weapon i believe, and mace would fit more the spec of sapper/saboteur a spec about dismanteling/disrupting or just cc in general

> > > > > like how world of warcraft rogues used to play :p

> > > >

> > > > That is exactly what the OP is asking. It seems that ArenaNet have ignored the Dual Wielding mechanic of the Thief. Instead, they took that mechanic and gave it the Elementalist. Even if they choose not to add new weapons to the game for the players (obviously mobs got new weapons in Elona seeing them wielding spears and scythes) they could have given the Thief weapons that uses the full potential of the Dual Wield mechanic instead of 2H weapons twice in a row.

> > > >

> > > > Every other profession has taken from the Thief; Guardian using shadowstep, Mirage using stealth attack, Weaver using dual wield, Spellbreaker is what Shadow Magic is suppose to be doing, and Reaver is what Thief dual-wielding swords is suppose to be. What has the Thief taken from other professions? Cantrip? Physical? A bunch of rubbish. It would have been better if we can take cloning from Mesmers and create shadow clones. Or have our own Shadow Attunement in exchange to weapon swap.

> > > >

> > > > Bottom line, too many missed opportunities and misuse of the Thief's potential.

> > >

> > > i wouldn't say that guardian "stole" shadowstepping from thief. guards have it since release, so does thiefs

> >

> > If you look at Judge's Intervention it says "teleport" but Merciful Intervention says "shadowstep". To me, this evidence shows that the skill of Merciful Intervention was meant to be a Thief skill, but stolen and renamed for the Guardian. They may have stolen it in the last minute and forgotten to rewrite the description. Guardian has no business in the shadow let alone be able to shadowstep.

> >

> > However, that's besides my point.

>

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shadowstep_(mechanic)

>

> more then just guard tho

I did say, "Every other profession has taken from the Thief" and this just proves it.

> > > > > @"Sir Vincent III.1286" said:

> > > > > > > @"Sir Vincent III.1286" said:

> > > > > > > > @"melandru.3876" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Phoenixtwolf.9213" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"melandru.3876" said:

> > > > > > > > > > google the word "dual wield", there question answered

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > is having a staff equiped giving you 2 different staves, one in each hand? if the answer is yes, then you are dual wielding staves

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > it's the same for weaver, not only thief.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > First of all weaver is an elite so I don't see how you think this has anything thing to do with the statement about "why they are only giving 2 handed weapon and not a 1 hand weapon that will allow the (CORE) mechanic to be utilized more which is (the 3rd weapon sill changes with each different off hand weapon) (or if no off and weapon as well) so in core we have (dagger, pistol, sword) for example (with the Sword main hand) just sword -- [stab](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stab_(thief_sword_skill) "Stab"), with dagger -- [Flank](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Flanking_Strike "Flank"), with pistol -- [pistol whip](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pistol_Whip "pistol whip") This is what he is talking about when saying duel wield. (it even shows it on the 3rd skill in text "duel wield" when u have 2 1 handed weapons.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > A reason of maybe why only 2 hand weapons been intruded on the game so far:

> > > > > > > > > Well think of it we have 3 main and 2 off hand

> > > > > > > > > if we got a new main hand we wold have 3 new weapons skills right away and when using pistol or dagger we get an extra 1 for each so 2 more so 3 + 2 = 5 new skills

> > > > > > > > > Now what if we got got a off hand

> > > > > > > > > 2 new and with Sword, dagger or pistol 3 diff sills 1 for each 2+3 = 5

> > > > > > > > > so when it all adds up it does not matter what we get if 1 hand or 2 hand we will get a total of 5 new skills each time.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > So personally I don't think it is because it would be to complected to do (after all it is just 5 skills no different then a 2h weapon) and also they have done it for the Elementalist which gets at least 4X2 if just an off hand it would be 8 skills if main it would be 12 or 2h would be 20

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > thanks for explaining, i have only 1700 hours played on thief /s

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > weapons fit the theme, ever thought about that?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > what weapon would you give a daredevil? melee staff was the only logical choice...and yes it's a two-handed

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Dual-weilding clubs, mace, fist-weapon.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > what weapon would you give a deadeye? rifle was the only logical choice...and yes it's a two-handed

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > A cane? lol

> > > > > >

> > > > > > if i remember correct anet said they would never put new weapons in the game (people were asking for a two handed axe if i remember ) so fist weapons is no option

> > > > > > a club and a mace is the same weapon i believe, and mace would fit more the spec of sapper/saboteur a spec about dismanteling/disrupting or just cc in general

> > > > > > like how world of warcraft rogues used to play :p

> > > > >

> > > > > That is exactly what the OP is asking. It seems that ArenaNet have ignored the Dual Wielding mechanic of the Thief. Instead, they took that mechanic and gave it the Elementalist. Even if they choose not to add new weapons to the game for the players (obviously mobs got new weapons in Elona seeing them wielding spears and scythes) they could have given the Thief weapons that uses the full potential of the Dual Wield mechanic instead of 2H weapons twice in a row.

> > > > >

> > > > > Every other profession has taken from the Thief; Guardian using shadowstep, Mirage using stealth attack, Weaver using dual wield, Spellbreaker is what Shadow Magic is suppose to be doing, and Reaver is what Thief dual-wielding swords is suppose to be. What has the Thief taken from other professions? Cantrip? Physical? A bunch of rubbish. It would have been better if we can take cloning from Mesmers and create shadow clones. Or have our own Shadow Attunement in exchange to weapon swap.

> > > > >

> > > > > Bottom line, too many missed opportunities and misuse of the Thief's potential.

> > > >

> > > > i wouldn't say that guardian "stole" shadowstepping from thief. guards have it since release, so does thiefs

> > >

> > > If you look at Judge's Intervention it says "teleport" but Merciful Intervention says "shadowstep". To me, this evidence shows that the skill of Merciful Intervention was meant to be a Thief skill, but stolen and renamed for the Guardian. They may have stolen it in the last minute and forgotten to rewrite the description. Guardian has no business in the shadow let alone be able to shadowstep.

> > >

> > > However, that's besides my point.

> >

> > https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shadowstep_(mechanic)

> >

> > more then just guard tho

>

> I did say, "Every other profession has taken from the Thief" and this just proves it.

Yea for thief to be the (THIEF) it sure has been stolen form the most of all (maybe Anet got thief and victim mixed up lol :) )

But one thing to note:

The idea of the game was NO trinity and they not only broke that by doing a soft trinity (seeing that tanks not a really big thing in the game) but they even went higher. Consider this in most games you have DPS tank heal. And that is it don't matter what kind of DPS or heal (for most part)

Now let us look at GW2

DPS --- condition and power (not seen a game b4 that it really matters so much as it does on here) but does not stop there we got range and melee some bosses you can't fight with range (at least part of the time).

so on DPS we have -- Range. melee, Power, and Condition (and in time would not put it pas them to have condition range only and power range only and some for melee

now of course no tank but we do have cc and boon support an such so you have that (I know each class has some cc but for some class you lose your DPS)

and of course heal

Now Understand I am not complaining about the idea that we have a trinity +

The point I am making is that Anet has done full circle and even gone more so with the Trinity+ so it is possible that in time we can have new weapons (just a thought as beacon of hope)

One last thing to think about as for the thief We are the only class that is just DPS (condition & power) you can make a some what boon support but not considered really that good by meta.

> @"Phoenixtwolf.9213" said:

> > > > > > @"Sir Vincent III.1286" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Sir Vincent III.1286" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"melandru.3876" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"Phoenixtwolf.9213" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @"melandru.3876" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > google the word "dual wield", there question answered

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > is having a staff equiped giving you 2 different staves, one in each hand? if the answer is yes, then you are dual wielding staves

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > it's the same for weaver, not only thief.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > First of all weaver is an elite so I don't see how you think this has anything thing to do with the statement about "why they are only giving 2 handed weapon and not a 1 hand weapon that will allow the (CORE) mechanic to be utilized more which is (the 3rd weapon sill changes with each different off hand weapon) (or if no off and weapon as well) so in core we have (dagger, pistol, sword) for example (with the Sword main hand) just sword -- [stab](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stab_(thief_sword_skill) "Stab"), with dagger -- [Flank](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Flanking_Strike "Flank"), with pistol -- [pistol whip](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pistol_Whip "pistol whip") This is what he is talking about when saying duel wield. (it even shows it on the 3rd skill in text "duel wield" when u have 2 1 handed weapons.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > A reason of maybe why only 2 hand weapons been intruded on the game so far:

> > > > > > > > > > Well think of it we have 3 main and 2 off hand

> > > > > > > > > > if we got a new main hand we wold have 3 new weapons skills right away and when using pistol or dagger we get an extra 1 for each so 2 more so 3 + 2 = 5 new skills

> > > > > > > > > > Now what if we got got a off hand

> > > > > > > > > > 2 new and with Sword, dagger or pistol 3 diff sills 1 for each 2+3 = 5

> > > > > > > > > > so when it all adds up it does not matter what we get if 1 hand or 2 hand we will get a total of 5 new skills each time.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > So personally I don't think it is because it would be to complected to do (after all it is just 5 skills no different then a 2h weapon) and also they have done it for the Elementalist which gets at least 4X2 if just an off hand it would be 8 skills if main it would be 12 or 2h would be 20

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > thanks for explaining, i have only 1700 hours played on thief /s

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > weapons fit the theme, ever thought about that?

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > what weapon would you give a daredevil? melee staff was the only logical choice...and yes it's a two-handed

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Dual-weilding clubs, mace, fist-weapon.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > what weapon would you give a deadeye? rifle was the only logical choice...and yes it's a two-handed

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > A cane? lol

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > if i remember correct anet said they would never put new weapons in the game (people were asking for a two handed axe if i remember ) so fist weapons is no option

> > > > > > > a club and a mace is the same weapon i believe, and mace would fit more the spec of sapper/saboteur a spec about dismanteling/disrupting or just cc in general

> > > > > > > like how world of warcraft rogues used to play :p

> > > > > >

> > > > > > That is exactly what the OP is asking. It seems that ArenaNet have ignored the Dual Wielding mechanic of the Thief. Instead, they took that mechanic and gave it the Elementalist. Even if they choose not to add new weapons to the game for the players (obviously mobs got new weapons in Elona seeing them wielding spears and scythes) they could have given the Thief weapons that uses the full potential of the Dual Wield mechanic instead of 2H weapons twice in a row.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Every other profession has taken from the Thief; Guardian using shadowstep, Mirage using stealth attack, Weaver using dual wield, Spellbreaker is what Shadow Magic is suppose to be doing, and Reaver is what Thief dual-wielding swords is suppose to be. What has the Thief taken from other professions? Cantrip? Physical? A bunch of rubbish. It would have been better if we can take cloning from Mesmers and create shadow clones. Or have our own Shadow Attunement in exchange to weapon swap.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Bottom line, too many missed opportunities and misuse of the Thief's potential.

> > > > >

> > > > > i wouldn't say that guardian "stole" shadowstepping from thief. guards have it since release, so does thiefs

> > > >

> > > > If you look at Judge's Intervention it says "teleport" but Merciful Intervention says "shadowstep". To me, this evidence shows that the skill of Merciful Intervention was meant to be a Thief skill, but stolen and renamed for the Guardian. They may have stolen it in the last minute and forgotten to rewrite the description. Guardian has no business in the shadow let alone be able to shadowstep.

> > > >

> > > > However, that's besides my point.

> > >

> > > https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shadowstep_(mechanic)

> > >

> > > more then just guard tho

> >

> > I did say, "Every other profession has taken from the Thief" and this just proves it.

>

> Yea for thief to be the (THIEF) it sure has been stolen form the most of all (maybe Anet got thief and victim mixed up lol :) )

>

> But one thing to note:

> The idea of the game was NO trinity and they not only broke that by doing a soft trinity (seeing that tanks not a really big thing in the game) but they even went higher. Consider this in most games you have DPS tank heal. And that is it don't matter what kind of DPS or heal (for most part)

> Now let us look at GW2

> DPS --- condition and power (not seen a game b4 that it really matters so much as it does on here) but does not stop there we got range and melee some bosses you can't fight with range (at least part of the time).

> so on DPS we have -- Range. melee, Power, and Condition (and in time would not put it pas them to have condition range only and power range only and some for melee

> now of course no tank but we do have cc and boon support an such so you have that (I know each class has some cc but for some class you lose your DPS)

> and of course heal

>

> Now Understand I am not complaining about the idea that we have a trinity +

> The point I am making is that Anet has done full circle and even gone more so with the Trinity+ so it is possible that in time we can have new weapons (just a thought as beacon of hope)

>

> One last thing to think about as for the thief We are the only class that is just DPS (condition & power) you can make a some what boon support but not considered really that good by meta.

Shadowstep, stealth and Dual-Wield should have been exclusive to Thief. No other professions should be given these abilities since these abilities are what defines the Thief as a profession. They should not have broken this rule. Now that other professions can shadowstep, stealth and Dual-wield even better than the Thief makes the Thief profession obsolete. All the Thief has left is Steal and even that was replaced by DE Mark. While other professions are progressing, the Thief is regressing.

Arenaneys been devolving thief for a while now, its identity as a class has been spread so thin across other classes and most of its rewards arent worth the effort anymore. It will never happen but arenanet needs to actually listen to vet thieves and or take some time playing it themselves and descide what they not the community want to do with it as a class cuz right now it feels like a class that is made up of the sum of nerf crys and not what its design was intended to be

> Shadowstep, stealth and Dual-Wield should have been exclusive to Thief. No other professions should be given these abilities since these abilities are what defines the Thief as a profession. They should not have broken this rule. Now that other professions can shadowstep, stealth and Dual-wield even better than the Thief makes the Thief profession obsolete. All the Thief has left is Steal and even that was replaced by DE Mark. While other professions are progressing, the Thief is regressing.

I agree. Each class should have its own mechanic that cannot be given to other. Because actually now classes don't feel that special to me, neither unique.

If a class has a certain mechanic, so do 4 other classes. This doesn't make sense.

> @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> Arenaneys been devolving thief for a while now, its identity as a class has been spread so thin across other classes and most of its rewards arent worth the effort anymore. It will never happen but arenanet needs to actually listen to vet thieves and or take some time playing it themselves and descide what they not the community want to do with it as a class cuz right now it feels like a class that is made up of the sum of nerf crys and not what its design was intended to be

When ArenaNet plays a Thief they get all kinds of ideas what to take from the Thief and give it to other professions. For instance, Spellbreaker has Thief written all over it, yet they thought that it would be cool to wear a freaking heavy armor while dual wielding daggers. The same way with Revenant and Guardian, they thought that heavy armor is not a big deal if you shadowstep. I can understand Mesmer sharing stealth with the Thief, but Engineer has no business in stealth mechanic. Obviously they played the Thief and found how lame Shadow Refuge is because it is stationary so they thought of an idea to give it to Scrapper instead. Rather than improving the Thief, they start cannibalizing the profession.

> > @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> > Arenaneys been devolving thief for a while now, its identity as a class has been spread so thin across other classes and most of its rewards arent worth the effort anymore. It will never happen but arenanet needs to actually listen to vet thieves and or take some time playing it themselves and descide what they not the community want to do with it as a class cuz right now it feels like a class that is made up of the sum of nerf crys and not what its design was intended to be

>

> When ArenaNet plays a Thief they get all kinds of ideas what to take from the Thief and give it to other professions. For instance, Spellbreaker has Thief written all over it, yet they thought that it would be cool to wear a freaking heavy armor while dual wielding daggers. The same way with Revenant and Guardian, they thought that heavy armor is not a big deal if you shadowstep. I can understand Mesmer sharing stealth with the Thief, but Engineer has no business in stealth mechanic. Obviously they played the Thief and found how lame Shadow Refuge is because it is stationary so they thought of an idea to give it to Scrapper instead. Rather than improving the Thief, they start cannibalizing the profession.

not sure if i get you, how is dual wielding daggers thief exlucive?

eles could do it since start

rangerss can do it since pof

warriors can do it since pof

> @"melandru.3876" said:

> > > @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> > > Arenaneys been devolving thief for a while now, its identity as a class has been spread so thin across other classes and most of its rewards arent worth the effort anymore. It will never happen but arenanet needs to actually listen to vet thieves and or take some time playing it themselves and descide what they not the community want to do with it as a class cuz right now it feels like a class that is made up of the sum of nerf crys and not what its design was intended to be

> >

> > When ArenaNet plays a Thief they get all kinds of ideas what to take from the Thief and give it to other professions. For instance, Spellbreaker has Thief written all over it, yet they thought that it would be cool to wear a freaking heavy armor while dual wielding daggers. The same way with Revenant and Guardian, they thought that heavy armor is not a big deal if you shadowstep. I can understand Mesmer sharing stealth with the Thief, but Engineer has no business in stealth mechanic. Obviously they played the Thief and found how lame Shadow Refuge is because it is stationary so they thought of an idea to give it to Scrapper instead. Rather than improving the Thief, they start cannibalizing the profession.

>

> not sure if i get you, how is dual wielding daggers thief exlucive?

>

> eles could do it since start

> rangerss can do it since pof

> warriors can do it since pof

Dual dagger requires agility and you're not going to get that wearing heavy armor. That's why there's only been Light and Medium Armor wearer who can do it. I mentioned it to point out how ridiculous someone wearing heavy armor and dual wielding daggers looks, how impractical it is, and how it stole potential from the Thief. Thief should be the one removing boons by stealing them.

> > > > @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> > > > Arenaneys been devolving thief for a while now, its identity as a class has been spread so thin across other classes and most of its rewards arent worth the effort anymore. It will never happen but arenanet needs to actually listen to vet thieves and or take some time playing it themselves and descide what they not the community want to do with it as a class cuz right now it feels like a class that is made up of the sum of nerf crys and not what its design was intended to be

> > >

> > > When ArenaNet plays a Thief they get all kinds of ideas what to take from the Thief and give it to other professions. For instance, Spellbreaker has Thief written all over it, yet they thought that it would be cool to wear a freaking heavy armor while dual wielding daggers. The same way with Revenant and Guardian, they thought that heavy armor is not a big deal if you shadowstep. I can understand Mesmer sharing stealth with the Thief, but Engineer has no business in stealth mechanic. Obviously they played the Thief and found how lame Shadow Refuge is because it is stationary so they thought of an idea to give it to Scrapper instead. Rather than improving the Thief, they start cannibalizing the profession.

> >

> > not sure if i get you, how is dual wielding daggers thief exlucive?

> >

> > eles could do it since start

> > rangerss can do it since pof

> > warriors can do it since pof

>

> Dual dagger requires agility and you're not going to get that wearing heavy armor. That's why there's only been Light and Medium Armor wearer who can do it. I mentioned it to point out how ridiculous someone wearing heavy armor and dual wielding daggers looks, how impractical it is, and how it stole potential from the Thief. Thief should be the one removing boons by stealing them.

heavy armor does not imply that it's actual "heavy" i mean the heavy i use on myu female norn war is more revealing then pretty much anything

how is that not flexible?

> @"melandru.3876" said:

> > > > > @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> > > > > Arenaneys been devolving thief for a while now, its identity as a class has been spread so thin across other classes and most of its rewards arent worth the effort anymore. It will never happen but arenanet needs to actually listen to vet thieves and or take some time playing it themselves and descide what they not the community want to do with it as a class cuz right now it feels like a class that is made up of the sum of nerf crys and not what its design was intended to be

> > > >

> > > > When ArenaNet plays a Thief they get all kinds of ideas what to take from the Thief and give it to other professions. For instance, Spellbreaker has Thief written all over it, yet they thought that it would be cool to wear a freaking heavy armor while dual wielding daggers. The same way with Revenant and Guardian, they thought that heavy armor is not a big deal if you shadowstep. I can understand Mesmer sharing stealth with the Thief, but Engineer has no business in stealth mechanic. Obviously they played the Thief and found how lame Shadow Refuge is because it is stationary so they thought of an idea to give it to Scrapper instead. Rather than improving the Thief, they start cannibalizing the profession.

> > >

> > > not sure if i get you, how is dual wielding daggers thief exlucive?

> > >

> > > eles could do it since start

> > > rangerss can do it since pof

> > > warriors can do it since pof

> >

> > Dual dagger requires agility and you're not going to get that wearing heavy armor. That's why there's only been Light and Medium Armor wearer who can do it. I mentioned it to point out how ridiculous someone wearing heavy armor and dual wielding daggers looks, how impractical it is, and how it stole potential from the Thief. Thief should be the one removing boons by stealing them.

>

> heavy armor does not imply that it's actual "heavy" i mean the heavy i use on myu female norn war is more revealing then pretty much anything

> how is that not flexible?

It's defined as "heavy" for a reason despite how much you want to twist that meaning or how questionable the aesthetic is.

> @"melandru.3876" said:

> then i want to remove rifle from thief

> it belongs to warrior and engi first, and rifle makes no sense in the all "sneaky sneaky" gameplay of a thief when suddenly you fire laser beams that you can hear on the moon still

You have no idea how much I agree with that.

EDIT: You can take Staff also. Thief don't use staff.

> > then i want to remove rifle from thief

> > it belongs to warrior and engi first, and rifle makes no sense in the all "sneaky sneaky" gameplay of a thief when suddenly you fire laser beams that you can hear on the moon still

>

> You have no idea how much I agree with that.

I 2nd that lol

it depended on how you look at the class to really define what it is.

Thief is the Asians/rouge/marshal art fighter that you see on most games

Now if you think along the line of marshal art class then yea the staff would fit

What about a rifle well a rifle is a common Assassin weapon used in real life.

So the question here is: --- What is the Thief---

**Is it a pure stealth fighter**

-- Well think of this the thief came with 2 pistols so like ---- > @"melandru.3876" said:

>rifle makes no sense in the all "sneaky sneaky" gameplay of a thief when suddenly you fire laser beams that you can hear on the moon still

In that respect the pistol makes no sense in a **"sneaky sneaky"** type game play

Thinking of that I would go as far to say that it is not considered just a sneak class (tho **stealth** is one of its main ideas about the class )

**Is it a duel wielding only?**

--- NO after all it started at with a short bow so the class was created to have a 2h weapon

The best I would say is this is an assassin type class with the idea of fast attacking boons steeling and stealth

But the 3 big things are

1 **stealing boons** -- (which has been nurfed a lot) (THAT IS THE REASON IT WAS CALLED THIEF) because of the boon rip and they go and nurf it????? and I do think they have given some other of the classes a similar skill if I am not mistaking.

2 **stealth and shadow attack** -- which yea many classes now have (yes the ranger had it as well) but at a small amount.

3 **Duel wielding** -- When duel wielding your 3rd skill changes giving you a verity of combinations so with the (original 3 main hand and 2 off hand weapons) you could have 9 possible skill on your 3 skill on your weapon bar. Again this has been given to other classes.

Makes you wonder are they trying to get ride the thief class making it so insufficient so that they can one day delete it.

**NOW this is for those of you that don't understand what we mean by (DUEL WIELDING) at least as it pertains to the thief.**

--- Its not having just 2 (one hand) weapons (IE one in each hand) after all (every class had that at start) ---

-- The idea is your 3rd skill (changes) count from left to right 1--2--3 the (3rd) skill on your weapon bar changes depending on what you have on your left hand (that is the weapon that fills skill 4 and 5) wither it be a 1h weapon or nothing -----.

> @"melandru.3876" said:

> if i was to label a thief: i would just call it a thug/street fighter

>

> the only rule is that there are no rules.

>

> hell they even have a steal skill "throw dirt" you can't fight any cheaper then throwing sand/dirt into someones eyes

LOL I would not doubt it for a sec if those ideas for the name came up when it was created

I do remember They said the reason they called it Thief was because of the **steal skill**

> @"Phoenixtwolf.9213" said:

> it depended on how you look at the class to really define what it is.

> Thief is the Asians/rouge/marshal art fighter that you see on most games

Um, no. Thief is a profession doing things unseen, thus shadow step, stealth, and steal. Nothing about the Thief suggests that it is a martial artist or a fighter class. None.

Deadly Art is about killing your target as efficient as possible.

Critical Strike is about hitting your target at the weakpoints to disable and deal at lot of damage.

Acrobatics is about escaping tight situation when shit hits the fan.

Shadow Art is about infiltrating a well defended target.

Trickery is about creating diversion.

None of these traits suggests that the Thief will go face to face with their target and duke it out like an agility Warrior. Daredevil is the martial art profession, not the Thief. This is why the Daredevil is not a Thief and should not have been a Thief Elite Spec. The major difference is that Thief uses Acrobatics for escape, not for fighting. The Thief was never a brawler, rogue, vagabond, thug, or street fighter. Thief steals and assassinates (aka steals life), that's it, all things are done in the shadows through stealth and shadowstep.

Unfortunately, the concept of the Thief is now irreparably broken and lost.