Question about new skill upgrades for SAB

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> Brett (and colleagues): did you give any thought to which position the new skill occupies on the skill bar? My muscle memory knows that '2' is a bomb, but now '2' is the mega and '3' is the ordinary, so I've been using more baubles than I need to.

>

> My first response was to just get used to the change, except... it's a problem that everyone will encounter.

>

> In other words: why not leave `2` as the ordinary bomb and make `3` the mega?

Yeah this is kind of annoying.. not game breaking but certainly a frustration

> @"Dreggon.6598" said:

> I'd like it if bomb 2 was ordinary and 3 was mega, as well as making the slingshot let you use the boomerang (slingshot kit 3, then 2 to shoot the slingshot, 3 to throw the boomerang) instead of replacing your whip

I like the bomb skills as-is. I'm constantly hitting 3 thinking I'm enabling my bombs when I have them enabled already, and thus I waste only 1 bauble instead of 5. (Also, I can't even tell what a mega bomb does differently---it appears to do the same damage.)

> @"SakuraJD.4720" said:

> the Whip gets upgraded to a Boomerang, which is cool and has a huge range to grab stuff, but now the boomerang doesnt break stuff like the whip could.

I much prefer the whip to the boomerang! It has great aim when stunning and snatching nearby baubles & consumables, whereas the boomerang is difficult to throw in the intended direction and often misses baubles & consumables. And I don't need to stun creatures from far away very often. So I'm glad we can exchange back to whip! Would be even better to have both simultaneously though.

• ArenaNet Staff

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" We're likely going to change a few things about the bombs next year, possibly including a re-arrange of the order of the bomb skills and some sort of rework to the costs of skills. No time to do that this year sadly.

@"Ayakaru.6583" The Mega Bombs deal 100 damage, whereas the Mini Bombs deal 50. There is an issue where both kinds of bombs deal 50 damage to specific types of enemies (end-of-zone Cage, Honeycomb, Stump, etc.) and 100 damage to (spoilers!) Storm Wizard's second form. How enemies take damage in SAB is pretty dangerous to change so we didn't touch the prop enemies this year. If you run into any enemies that aren't taking the correct damage, and aren't stationary props, please let us know!

> @"Brett Nellermoe.7098" said:

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" We're likely going to change a few things about the bombs next year, possibly including a re-arrange of the order of the bomb skills and some sort of rework to the costs of skills. No time to do that this year sadly.

>

> @"Ayakaru.6583" The Mega Bombs deal 100 damage, whereas the Mini Bombs deal 50. There is an issue where both kinds of bombs deal 50 damage to specific types of enemies (end-of-zone Cage, Honeycomb, Stump, etc.) and 100 damage to (spoilers!) Storm Wizard's second form. How enemies take damage in SAB is pretty dangerous to change so we didn't touch the prop enemies this year. If you run into any enemies that aren't taking the correct damage, and aren't stationary props, please let us know!

Might also be worth changing the mega bomb colour to red or something. i keep pressing that one by mistake

The Big Bomb does 100 to enemies. It doesn't seem to do significant damage to objects or the cages at the end of Zones.

As for the regular bomb being at 3, it makes sense to me because it is the 3 key to equip. So you can take it out and spam it as soon as you can.

My problem is the slingshot having to take out as a bundle rather than just shooting it when you want. Bundles in general are really bad that they won't let you use the 6 and up skills.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" We're likely going to change a few things about the bombs next year, possibly including a re-arrange of the order of the bomb skills and some sort of rework to the costs of skills. No time to do that this year sadly.

~~Terrific!~~ Super! :)

I fully understand about the time gap. I would agree that it's not urgent.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> Might also be worth changing the mega bomb colour to red or something. i keep pressing that one by mistake

Ooh, I like that suggestion.

@"Brett Nellermoe.7098"

Thanks very much for the quick and specific response.

I've thrown my fair share of oversized and overexpensive bombs. But after getting used to it I like the current order. It is more consistent, in a sense. If I want to use the slingshot I can spam 2. The first 2 equips it, all others shoot. If I want to throw (small) bombs, I can spam 3 in the same way.

> @"Killerassel.2197" said:

> > @"Brett Nellermoe.7098" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" We're likely going to change a few things about the bombs next year, possibly including a re-arrange of the order of the bomb skills and some sort of rework to the costs of skills. No time to do that this year sadly.

>

> I've thrown my fair share of oversized and overexpensive bombs. But after getting used to it I like the current order. It is more consistent, in a sense. If I want to use the slingshot I can spam 2. The first 2 equips it, all others shoot. If I want to throw (small) bombs, I can spam 3 in the same way.

Yeah, actually I am getting used to that convention; it's working for me.

I am victim of the same human foible I have mentioned so many other times in these here forums: we like what we are used to and sometimes have trouble seeing that an alternative (proposed or implemented) is better.

Accordingly, @"Brett Nellermoe.7098": I hope you'll take the original suggestion verbatim, i.e. give some thought to overall consistency, as well as ease of use:

* Should the same key that triggers the bundle also activate it? (e.g. slingshot: 2 & 2; basic bomb: 3 & 3). If so, should it work the same for all bundles?

* Should weapon swap always drop a bundle (even if there's also a '5' skill that does the same)? Or should it (as it does now) depend on which bundle? (Environmental bundles drop on swap; equipped bundles drop with a skill.)