GW2 open world should focus on:

I feel like world bosses and meta events should have been one thing and then have casual events be their own option.

I enjoy world bosses, I found my main guild while doing all the world bosses daily, I especially enjoy bosses that have a decent lead-up to the fight, like the HoT metas.

It is particularly fun to organize and lead such events to victory.

But that's not all I enjoy. Sometimes I spend some time just doing map completion and any events I run into while doing it, the minor events, renown hearts, and vistas are nice because they are chill, no pressure, content. I get to enjoy the world while feeling like I am still doing something.

I did the roller beetle races daily until I unlocked everything. But, while I did enjoy them, I don't really feel like I am accomplishing anything with them now that I have unlocked everything. (PS Anet do not misunderstand and assume I am saying to make things that take longer to unlock, I am not. Just maybe add things that are worth repeat buying or something, I don't know)

I never really got into champ farming/trains on maps. Although I did do it some back when there was that one events in Kessex Hills where if you let it fail the following event spawned lots of champs. It was mostly just sitting around waiting for the event and killing the spider queen whenever she spawned as well. It was okay I guess. Half the time I was just in map chat trying to calm down toxic people who were yelling at noobs for doing the event while also trying to calmly explain to said noobs why we wanted it to fail and asking them to please let it do so.

Gathering Materials.... meh. I usually don't bother with them. I used to do it back when leveling my first character because scraping every bit of exp I could get was important. But nowadays I just do home instance, guild hall, and map currency nodes on the lastest LS map.

I play this game for the fun combat mechanics. I want to see more meta events and bosses with increased difficulty. Like, an army of 100 destroyers that keep spawn with 4 bosses scattered in the mix. People getting downed and rallying left and right. One of my favorites is Night and the Enemy in Verdant Brink. There just feels like there is so much going on. Bosses and fights everywhere.

If you focus on meta events, it will keep people coming back. Just look at the HoT maps compared to PoF and Living World maps. If you make it worth a player's time to be on those maps for more than just achievements, a lot of the other options will simply follow.