Please stop adding new achievements to old content

If the content hasn't really been updated in a way that would make it fresh and enjoyable, then it's just spoiling that content that we may have originally enjoyed but repeating it yet again is just annoying. The latest example of this is SAB, it's fine for events to return for newer players to experience, but that shouldn't mean needing to ruin it for older players. (And nothing is stopping those that do want to repeat it from doing so anyway)

People might say to just not do the achievements then, but that's not really an option for completionists and people who just like to try make sure they do available achievements.

It's not a good way to encourage people to play or return to the game; NEW content is the way for that, not frustrating us with stale old events.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you referring to the annual achievement? That is easily obtainable just by running sab in infantile and then regular. No need for tribulation and I believe it was to bring it in line with the other festivals.

That said I personally LOVE when new ap are linked to festivals. Gives me a reason to return to them.

I disagree. I think the changes to festival achievements is good and is a nice way to have something to do every year. The annual achievements are usually pretty simple anyways, they don't take that much effort.

You brought this up but honestly it is a very valid point: They are 100% optional. You don't *have* to repeat it unless you want to. It just gives a bit of AP for doing them again once a year. There isn't anything wrong with that. As a completionist myself I am happy that there is more goals every year. If there were no annual achievements then it would just be "oh it's that festival again, guess now everyone is going to be doing that, but I already got everything, why bother" and instead its "Oh hey, an easy 50 ap and I can play with my friends while I get the AP instead of trying to drag them away from the festival for something else".

I think it's a great way to encourage people to play and return to the game. Yes, new content is important, moreso than festivals. But festivals are great and I am very happy that anet has given people more reason to pay attention to them when they are happening. And it's not like anet has stopped adding new content to the game and is only adding things to festivals.

> @"Etria.3642" said:

> Are you referring to the annual achievement? That is easily obtainable just by running sab in infantile and then regular. No need for tribulation and I believe it was to bring it in line with the other festivals.

The annual achievements for all events and for SAB also the master of coins

> That said I personally LOVE when new ap are linked to festivals. Gives me a reason to return to them.

My argument is that this is a bad thing. You should return to the content IF you would enjoy doing so, if you would, that is great!

Returning to it because you feel you have to or you are missing out on the achievements isn't a good thing if that would not be enjoyable, it's just annoying that we apparently need to be encouraged to do so by these additions

I really don't understand the replies saying it is a good thing to encourage people to replay something they would not have wanted to otherwise

If someone would enjoy replaying, WHAT is stopping them from doing so without annual and other new achievements being added that encourage repeating the same old yearly? if you would like to play it, then do so; why are they needed? If the only reason to play it is because they added new and annual achievements to otherwise old stale content, do you not think that is a negative thing, it's the same kind of trick subscription based MMOs use to keep their numbers up in a way.

He is probably talking about the time trial adventures. Just a new coat of paint to try to hide how old the content is. We are not getting w3 and 4, so they have to milk all they can from 6 year old content.

Personally i am not happy they didnt speed up the crimson token acquisition. 5 years to complete the set is a really long time. Wish they were given in the annual achievements instead of bauble baubles. That would give an extra 14 token a year and give me a reason to run trib after completing the other collections.

Well I am currently ap hunting so if a festival offered zero ap I probably would only do it a little as opposed to more often. Empty festivals are sad things so of course the more people the more fun especially for new folks.

Not saying your opinion is wrong either just that it isn't the only one out there. And even though I am ap hunting some things aren't on the table for me. I got the trib ap for w1z1 a couple years ago and after that decided trib was not for me.

Mind you my version of ap hunting is a lot different than the higher folks. I only just hit 15k. I see those 30k and up and am full of admiration. They must play all the game modes. I am TERRIBLE at PvP so trying for those would not only get me frustrated but also anyone on my teams. So seeing some ap added to a festival I enjoy is like icing on the cake.

> @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> So you would prefer them to release an event each year that does nothing to entice players who have already completed it to participate? That's interesting, because I thought the opposite argument would be made.

>

>

>

If the event has not changed, what reason should there be to repeat it for someone that has done it, unless they would enjoy to repeat it?

And what about people who have not completed the event, I'm sure they appreciate the release

This sort of negative encouragement to repeat shouldn't be needed, let those that want to repeat it do so nothing is stopping that

That is such a bad take."Abandon this concent because I don't like doing stuff again"

Buddy, that's how festivals have been for several YEARS. No new content, no interest in them beyond the first time. Imagine having an event but not participating in it whatsoever because you have nothing to gain from it

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> That is such a bad take."Abandon this concent because I don't like doing stuff again"

Who said anything about abandoning it? Try not to use quotation marks if you aren't actually quoting anything really stated.

> @"Etria.3642" said:

> Well I am currently ap hunting so if a festival offered zero ap I probably would only do it a little as opposed to more often. Empty festivals are sad things so of course the more people the more fun especially for new folks.

>

> Not saying your opinion is wrong either just that it isn't the only one out there. And even though I am ap hunting some things aren't on the table for me. I got the trib ap for w1z1 a couple years ago and after that decided trib was not for me.

>

> Mind you my version of ap hunting is a lot different than the higher folks. I only just hit 15k. I see those 30k and up and am full of admiration. They must play all the game modes. I am TERRIBLE at PvP so trying for those would not only get me frustrated but also anyone on my teams. So seeing some ap added to a festival I enjoy is like icing on the cake.

If someone has 30k+ ap it most likely means they were around during season 1. Season 1 absolutely drowned people in AP. And it's all AP that is gone now, unavailable for anyone who missed it.

Why does it bother you at all, I can go back and get the few AP offered and you do not have to, I am not really seeing the problem here. This does not affect you in any way, other than possibly an argument like, "I don't want to redo the content to get the new AP offered and nobody else should be able to so that I won't fall behind in the AP race."

> @"kratan.4619" said:

> Why does it bother you at all, I can go back and get the few AP offered and you do not have to, I am not really seeing the problem here. This does not affect you in any way, other than possibly an argument like, "I don't want to redo the content to get the new AP offered and nobody else should be able to so that I won't fall behind in the AP race."

It bothers me as I wish to complete achievements; if you do not play the game that way that is fine, but I and others do. Most might just be accepting of it just being the way it is done, but I am questioning it. You correctly state that I do not want to redo content, old content that is no longer enjoyable to me, but feel the need to because of the achievement additions, not because the content has suddenly been reworked or became enjoyable. I am not saying nobody else should be able to play it, I encourage those that would enjoy it to do it! so it's not that nobody else should be able to, but nobody should HAVE to do it or risk falling behind in the 'AP race' as you call it. Because as a reason for repeating it's' not good for the health and enjoyment of the game. Do we not play games for fun these days?

Nobody has yet explained why it is a good thing for the only reason to repeat something being not to miss out on new/repeatable achievements on old content, as not adding them would not stop those who would enjoy doing so from playing it

> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> If someone has 30k+ ap it most likely means they were around during season 1. Season 1 absolutely drowned people in AP. And it's all AP that is gone now, unavailable for anyone who missed it.

And rightfully so. Those who weren't there just need to deal with it. Game has to move on, not waste time on old content just because those people missed it. They can already buy most rewards from Laurel vendor. As for AP, if you're coming late to the game, you have to come to terms and understand that game has been going on for a long time before you came and there are things you missed and won't have. So you'd not even come with an idea of "I wanna be on AP leaderboards".

It's really as if I walked into a store and demanded they sell me something they had 6 years ago and are not selling it anymore. Makes no sense.

Why would you feel like you ‘have to’?

> @"Dalec.9853" said:

> Returning to it because you feel you have to or you are missing out on the achievements isn't a good thing if that would not be enjoyable, it's just annoying that we apparently need to be encouraged to do so by these additions

>

So, don’t do the achievements. If you are a completionist and don’t like ‘having to do’ something to be able to complete it?

That is a You problem.

Those that like the AP points can get them. And it adds to it.

Again... it’s only a grind if you choose it to be.

> @"Dalec.9853" said:

> If the content hasn't really been updated in a way that would make it fresh and enjoyable, then it's just spoiling that content that we may have originally enjoyed but repeating it yet again is just annoying. The latest example of this is SAB, it's fine for events to return for newer players to experience, but that shouldn't mean needing to ruin it for older players. (And nothing is stopping those that do want to repeat it from doing so anyway)

>

> People might say to just not do the achievements then, but that's not really an option for completionists and people who just like to try make sure they do available achievements.

>

> It's not a good way to encourage people to play or return to the game; NEW content is the way for that, not frustrating us with stale old events.

The annual achievement, as others said already, is easy to finish if you complete both worlds on infantile and normal modes.

The collection for the new items and the new races are both new and while earning those you can finish the annual one just fine.

They didn't "ruin" the event for older players, they added new things to do in SAB that doesn't involve finishing the zones themselves as both the races and the new items do not require actual completion.

Why is adding such small new achievements to refresh the content a bad thing?

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> Why would you feel like you ‘have to’?

>

> > @"Dalec.9853" said:

> > Returning to it because you feel you have to or you are missing out on the achievements isn't a good thing if that would not be enjoyable, it's just annoying that we apparently need to be encouraged to do so by these additions

> >

>

> So, don’t do the achievements. If you are a completionist and don’t like ‘having to do’ something to be able to complete it?

>

> That is a You problem.

>

> Those that like the AP points can get them. And it adds to it.

>

> Again... it’s only a grind if you choose it to be.

People enjoy different things. If he enjoys hunting AP (as do I) we tend to endure the headache for what we like. You also do some stuff in the game despite not liking it, so the same can be said to you. The "no one is making you do it" argument is an absolute nonsense. You probably don't enjoy your job, don't do it then.

> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> If someone has 30k+ ap it most likely means they were around during season 1. Season 1 absolutely drowned people in AP. And it's all AP that is gone now, unavailable for anyone who missed it.

Yes because those 1926 AP that the entire LS1 gave us is "drowning people with AP"

> @"Dalec.9853" said:

> > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > That is such a bad take."Abandon this concent because I don't like doing stuff again"

>

> Who said anything about abandoning it? Try not to use quotation marks if you aren't actually quoting anything really stated.

>

>

Sorry, but if you ignore the rest of my post then I can't engage with you any further than that either.

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > @"Dalec.9853" said:

> > If the content hasn't really been updated in a way that would make it fresh and enjoyable, then it's just spoiling that content that we may have originally enjoyed but repeating it yet again is just annoying. The latest example of this is SAB, it's fine for events to return for newer players to experience, but that shouldn't mean needing to ruin it for older players. (And nothing is stopping those that do want to repeat it from doing so anyway)

> >

> > People might say to just not do the achievements then, but that's not really an option for completionists and people who just like to try make sure they do available achievements.

> >

> > It's not a good way to encourage people to play or return to the game; NEW content is the way for that, not frustrating us with stale old events.

>

> The annual achievement, as others said already, is easy to finish if you complete both worlds on infantile and normal modes.

> The collection for the new items and the new races are both new and while earning those you can finish the annual one just fine.

> They didn't "ruin" the event for older players, they added new things to do in SAB that doesn't involve finishing the zones themselves as both the races and the new items do not require actual completion.

> Why is adding such small new achievements to refresh the content a bad thing?

The question is not if something is easy or not and how easy it is. That's completely besides the point. He is trying to say that they shouldn't be in a position where they add achievements to have people come back to it. They're doing it the lazy way. If they added a new world, this thread wouldn't even exist. They rely on achievements to make people come back which just says "we know it's boring, but we know you all want AP so that's how we'll make you play it"

> Why would you feel like you ‘have to’?

>

> > @"Dalec.9853" said:

> > Returning to it because you feel you have to or you are missing out on the achievements isn't a good thing if that would not be enjoyable, it's just annoying that we apparently need to be encouraged to do so by these additions

> >

>

> So, don’t do the achievements. If you are a completionist and don’t like ‘having to do’ something to be able to complete it?

>

> That is a You problem.

>

> Those that like the AP points can get them. And it adds to it.

>

> Again... it’s only a grind if you choose it to be.

Don't do the acheivements is not a valid answer, it's not about having to do something, but repeating something yet again that has no reason to repeat it other than adding extra achievements, that's not refreshing the content, it's still the same.

Still no answer why encouraging people to repeat something that is not new, not changed, and no longer fun is a good thing. I'm all for the events being available for those that would have fun doing so to do them, I've replayed games I've completed before many times because it's fun to me, and that's the good reason to do so, I wouldn't go rerun dark souls for example because steam resets 100% achievement every damn year, but because I want to.

So really so far the answers seem to be just thinking it's ok because that's the way it is, not realising that this kind of encouragement to repeat something that is not fun isn't positive. Again I am not asking for old content to be abandoned, just that new 'encouragement' to play something should be for new content (or significantly changed content, say if something had a hard mode or real challenge added)

> @"MetalGirl.2370" said:

> > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > Why would you feel like you ‘have to’?

> >

> > > @"Dalec.9853" said:

> > > Returning to it because you feel you have to or you are missing out on the achievements isn't a good thing if that would not be enjoyable, it's just annoying that we apparently need to be encouraged to do so by these additions

> > >

> >

> > So, don’t do the achievements. If you are a completionist and don’t like ‘having to do’ something to be able to complete it?

> >

> > That is a You problem.

> >

> > Those that like the AP points can get them. And it adds to it.

> >

> > Again... it’s only a grind if you choose it to be.

>

> People enjoy different things. If he enjoys hunting AP (as do I) we tend to endure the headache for what we like. You also do some stuff in the game despite not liking it, so the same can be said to you. The "no one is making you do it" argument is an absolute nonsense. **You probably don't enjoy your job, don't do it then.**

Actually, I’ve left jobs I don’t enjoy, and currently have one that I do and it pays better.

It’s about CHOICES.

He, and you have a choice.

> Actually, I’ve left jobs I don’t enjoy, and currently have one that I do and it pays better.

>

> It’s about CHOICES.

>

> He, and you have a choice.

I like the game overall and generally care for its health and future still, so nothing wrong with wanting a discussion on its problems