How does reporting work in this game?

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"ewenness.6482" said:

> > you don't actually have to say anything offensive to trip an algorithm.

> There is no algorithm. ANet doesn't monitor chat at all. Unless there's a report, they aren't looking.

>

> > People have been suspended based on party chat where they had only friends from real life in the party - joking around with each other.

> In all the cases in which we've been privy to the details, it's turned out that one of the friends filed a report. (In most cases, we only have the word of the person complaining about the suspension that (a) it was only friends and (b) that they even know what they were suspended for; a lot of times, people turn out to have "forgotten" other things they said.)

>

> > Lets not forget the infamous case of the player suspended over messages he was sending within an **empty** custom arena map.

> The apocryphal case? Maybe I missed it then so perhaps you could share the details in which there's independent verification that the person was suspended for saying something in an empty map, rather than for something they posted publicly (and don't remember having typed).

>

>

I attempted to find the last one just now (as I have read it on Reddit at the time) but couldn't dig up anything. Going to look further into it later but unsure how much luck I'll have. Tried the wayback machine but it didn't seem to get archived. I do sincerely apologize for this. Thought I had the link saved in my old favourites folder but it just brings me to the main page of Reddit. If someone remembers it, feel free to chime in. The player in question made a custom arena with only himself in it then proceeded to absolutely trash Arenanet in the chat. It was apparently an experiment to see if he can get suspended without being reported.

As for the case of friends secretly reporting friends - haven't seen it yet. I've seen commenters theorize that the suspended player must have been reported by a friend but no confirmation by Dornsinger who comments on these cases that "go viral" on the GW2 subreddit. I don't quite believe that there is absolutely no algorithm considering the company's love for (faulty) automation and they will never admit it publically unless forced to. Just like with the banwave in 2018 where no public apology was ever made and instead the affected players were quietly unbanned after a year of repeatedly being told that they're cheaters and liars.

> @"GM Magister.8736" said:

> It seems like the users who have replied so far have summarized our stance pretty well so far! But, I thought I would stop by to clear up any remaining misconceptions and confirm the bits that they got right. :)

>

> First off, we generally don't ban for "minor curse words," and we do so even less in PvP scenarios. We understand just as well as anyone else how heated things can be, especially when you just got killed for the 13th time by that guy on the enemy team. Context matters, and a few simple curse words are only going to result in a ban if they are used repetitively or alongside more targeted language or threats.

>

> To expand on the above - we take any sort of threat or prejudiced language very seriously. Unlike with simple curse words, a player running around telling others to kill themselves or using language that is hateful towards any group (racial, sexual, or otherwise) will almost definitely find themself with an account action, as will those who might reference certain illegal activities, such as inappropriate behavior with a minor.

>

> But, of course, all of that requires us to actually know that the problem is occurring, and that's where you all come in! We rely on your reports to find players who are behaving badly since, as outlined above, context matters, and even the most well thought out automated system or algorithm would make mistakes. As such, all account actions are enforced by actual agents who will read through chat logs and check a user's history before deciding whether to suspend an account and for how long. (Also - be patient! We deal with lots of reports, so it's not like that person is going to get the boot the moment you hit the report button.)

>

> Still, agents will make mistakes, and we are more than happy to take a second look if you feel you are being unfairly punished. However, we do ask that you have some patience with us and gracefully accept the outcome of our investigation, even if it's not what you were hoping for. If you fight us, we're less likely to be flexible, and you might even find yourself with a longer suspension if you're particularly unkind to our agents.

>

> The best advice I can give to anyone who might be dealing with unfriendly players is to just block and report them and move on. Don't engage them or retaliate, as tempting as it might be, as it can be far to easy to end up saying something that could actually be ban-worthy. Even though we take context into account, that doesn't give you the right to call someone a (censored for public consumption) "degenerate, skritt-for-brains moron." If you're a jerk in return, then you're just as likely to be actioned as the instigator.

>

> So, tl;dr - Be kind to one another, and when that doesn't work, just be the bigger person: Don't retaliate, don't escalate. Block them, report them, and move on. Go outside and get some fresh air, take in the sights around the Grove, or beat up on world bosses for a few hours instead, then head back into the Mists to keep pwning noobs. We'll handle the rest in due time!

>

> PS: Unfortunately, we don’t currently have a formal system for reporting or censoring pet names and similar, but we’re working on improving the system going forward. You’re free to still report them using the means available, but we won’t be able to guarantee a change given our current lack of a means to do so. Sorry. :(

Since we are discussing about it, could you explain us why ANET is against players which provide proof of other players' exploits?

Like screens or videos.

> @"Shirlias.8104" said:

> > @"GM Magister.8736" said:

> > It seems like the users who have replied so far have summarized our stance pretty well so far! But, I thought I would stop by to clear up any remaining misconceptions and confirm the bits that they got right. :)

> >

> > First off, we generally don't ban for "minor curse words," and we do so even less in PvP scenarios. We understand just as well as anyone else how heated things can be, especially when you just got killed for the 13th time by that guy on the enemy team. Context matters, and a few simple curse words are only going to result in a ban if they are used repetitively or alongside more targeted language or threats.

> >

> > To expand on the above - we take any sort of threat or prejudiced language very seriously. Unlike with simple curse words, a player running around telling others to kill themselves or using language that is hateful towards any group (racial, sexual, or otherwise) will almost definitely find themself with an account action, as will those who might reference certain illegal activities, such as inappropriate behavior with a minor.

> >

> > But, of course, all of that requires us to actually know that the problem is occurring, and that's where you all come in! We rely on your reports to find players who are behaving badly since, as outlined above, context matters, and even the most well thought out automated system or algorithm would make mistakes. As such, all account actions are enforced by actual agents who will read through chat logs and check a user's history before deciding whether to suspend an account and for how long. (Also - be patient! We deal with lots of reports, so it's not like that person is going to get the boot the moment you hit the report button.)

> >

> > Still, agents will make mistakes, and we are more than happy to take a second look if you feel you are being unfairly punished. However, we do ask that you have some patience with us and gracefully accept the outcome of our investigation, even if it's not what you were hoping for. If you fight us, we're less likely to be flexible, and you might even find yourself with a longer suspension if you're particularly unkind to our agents.

> >

> > The best advice I can give to anyone who might be dealing with unfriendly players is to just block and report them and move on. Don't engage them or retaliate, as tempting as it might be, as it can be far to easy to end up saying something that could actually be ban-worthy. Even though we take context into account, that doesn't give you the right to call someone a (censored for public consumption) "degenerate, skritt-for-brains moron." If you're a jerk in return, then you're just as likely to be actioned as the instigator.

> >

> > So, tl;dr - Be kind to one another, and when that doesn't work, just be the bigger person: Don't retaliate, don't escalate. Block them, report them, and move on. Go outside and get some fresh air, take in the sights around the Grove, or beat up on world bosses for a few hours instead, then head back into the Mists to keep pwning noobs. We'll handle the rest in due time!

> >

> > PS: Unfortunately, we don’t currently have a formal system for reporting or censoring pet names and similar, but we’re working on improving the system going forward. You’re free to still report them using the means available, but we won’t be able to guarantee a change given our current lack of a means to do so. Sorry. :(

>

> Since we are discussing about it, could you explain us why ANET is against players which provide proof of other players' exploits?

> Like screens or videos.

>

They are only against showing them on public platforms, for obvious reasons (ie advertising exploits). They are quite happy with and encourage submissions.

Send to here exploits@arena.net

Further info https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Exploit

> It seems like the users who have replied so far have summarized our stance pretty well so far! But, I thought I would stop by to clear up any remaining misconceptions and confirm the bits that they got right. :)

>

> First off, we generally don't ban for "minor curse words," and we do so even less in PvP scenarios. We understand just as well as anyone else how heated things can be, especially when you just got killed for the 13th time by that guy on the enemy team. Context matters, and a few simple curse words are only going to result in a ban if they are used repetitively or alongside more targeted language or threats.

>

> To expand on the above - we take any sort of threat or prejudiced language very seriously. Unlike with simple curse words, a player running around telling others to kill themselves or using language that is hateful towards any group (racial, sexual, or otherwise) will almost definitely find themself with an account action, as will those who might reference certain illegal activities, such as inappropriate behavior with a minor.

>

> But, of course, all of that requires us to actually know that the problem is occurring, and that's where you all come in! We rely on your reports to find players who are behaving badly since, as outlined above, context matters, and even the most well thought out automated system or algorithm would make mistakes. As such, all account actions are enforced by actual agents who will read through chat logs and check a user's history before deciding whether to suspend an account and for how long. (Also - be patient! We deal with lots of reports, so it's not like that person is going to get the boot the moment you hit the report button.)

>

> Still, agents will make mistakes, and we are more than happy to take a second look if you feel you are being unfairly punished. However, we do ask that you have some patience with us and gracefully accept the outcome of our investigation, even if it's not what you were hoping for. If you fight us, we're less likely to be flexible, and you might even find yourself with a longer suspension if you're particularly unkind to our agents.

>

> The best advice I can give to anyone who might be dealing with unfriendly players is to just block and report them and move on. Don't engage them or retaliate, as tempting as it might be, as it can be far to easy to end up saying something that could actually be ban-worthy. Even though we take context into account, that doesn't give you the right to call someone a (censored for public consumption) "degenerate, skritt-for-brains moron." If you're a jerk in return, then you're just as likely to be actioned as the instigator.

>

> So, tl;dr - Be kind to one another, and when that doesn't work, just be the bigger person: Don't retaliate, don't escalate. Block them, report them, and move on. Go outside and get some fresh air, take in the sights around the Grove, or beat up on world bosses for a few hours instead, then head back into the Mists to keep pwning noobs. We'll handle the rest in due time!

>

> PS: Unfortunately, we don’t currently have a formal system for reporting or censoring pet names and similar, but we’re working on improving the system going forward. You’re free to still report them using the means available, but we won’t be able to guarantee a change given our current lack of a means to do so. Sorry. :(

Does amount of reporting make any difference or can people be banned for one? Let's say i have a particular person who is VERY HEAVY with cursing me, but he is whispering me, so i would be the only one reporting him.

> @"Nebilim.5127" said:

> Does amount of reporting make any difference or can people be banned for one? Let's say i have a particular person who is VERY HEAVY with cursing me, but he is whispering me, so i would be the only one reporting him.

As has been said, countless times by now I'm sure: report, block and move on.

> @"Nebilim.5127" said:

> > @"GM Magister.8736" said:

> > It seems like the users who have replied so far have summarized our stance pretty well so far! But, I thought I would stop by to clear up any remaining misconceptions and confirm the bits that they got right. :)

> >

> > First off, we generally don't ban for "minor curse words," and we do so even less in PvP scenarios. We understand just as well as anyone else how heated things can be, especially when you just got killed for the 13th time by that guy on the enemy team. Context matters, and a few simple curse words are only going to result in a ban if they are used repetitively or alongside more targeted language or threats.

> >

> > To expand on the above - we take any sort of threat or prejudiced language very seriously. Unlike with simple curse words, a player running around telling others to kill themselves or using language that is hateful towards any group (racial, sexual, or otherwise) will almost definitely find themself with an account action, as will those who might reference certain illegal activities, such as inappropriate behavior with a minor.

> >

> > But, of course, all of that requires us to actually know that the problem is occurring, and that's where you all come in! We rely on your reports to find players who are behaving badly since, as outlined above, context matters, and even the most well thought out automated system or algorithm would make mistakes. As such, all account actions are enforced by actual agents who will read through chat logs and check a user's history before deciding whether to suspend an account and for how long. (Also - be patient! We deal with lots of reports, so it's not like that person is going to get the boot the moment you hit the report button.)

> >

> > Still, agents will make mistakes, and we are more than happy to take a second look if you feel you are being unfairly punished. However, we do ask that you have some patience with us and gracefully accept the outcome of our investigation, even if it's not what you were hoping for. If you fight us, we're less likely to be flexible, and you might even find yourself with a longer suspension if you're particularly unkind to our agents.

> >

> > The best advice I can give to anyone who might be dealing with unfriendly players is to just block and report them and move on. Don't engage them or retaliate, as tempting as it might be, as it can be far to easy to end up saying something that could actually be ban-worthy. Even though we take context into account, that doesn't give you the right to call someone a (censored for public consumption) "degenerate, skritt-for-brains moron." If you're a jerk in return, then you're just as likely to be actioned as the instigator.

> >

> > So, tl;dr - Be kind to one another, and when that doesn't work, just be the bigger person: Don't retaliate, don't escalate. Block them, report them, and move on. Go outside and get some fresh air, take in the sights around the Grove, or beat up on world bosses for a few hours instead, then head back into the Mists to keep pwning noobs. We'll handle the rest in due time!

> >

> > PS: Unfortunately, we don’t currently have a formal system for reporting or censoring pet names and similar, but we’re working on improving the system going forward. You’re free to still report them using the means available, but we won’t be able to guarantee a change given our current lack of a means to do so. Sorry. :(

>

> Does amount of reporting make any difference or can people be banned for one? Let's say i have a particular person who is VERY HEAVY with cursing me, but he is whispering me, so i would be the only one reporting him.

Each report is investigated, whether it be one or one hundred.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Does me blocking the offending party affect anything in the reporting process for that party? I personally don't like blocking people because some people apologize quickly and we clear up any miscommunication.

> @"Awesumness.1823" wrote

> Does me blocking the offending party affect anything in the reporting process for that party? I personally don't like blocking people because some people apologize quickly and we clear up any miscommunication.

No, blocking has no impact on reporting or ANet's actions.

The main reason people recommend it is that it helps the reporter in two ways:

* Some people get increasingly annoyed; /blocking prevents that

* Some people find themselves unable to resist responding; blocking reduces the chance of things escalating

Oooo, I like this post. Especially GM Magister's very relevant reply. I have kind of a followup question about bannable offenses. If "minor curse words" aren't taken very seriously (which I personally disagree with - as a religious individual, there are no "minor" curse words to me), what about griefers/trolls? Over the past several days, I've joined my guild for the Triple Trouble event in Bloodtide Coast. The guild sets up leaders and commanders to lead the multi-faceted event and there seems to be the same jerk hanging around, tagging up, and trying to get ppl to join on him and follow him instead of the actual commanders just for the sole purpose of confusing the group and getting the event to fail.

Also, I try to be an active wiki contributor. My main focus is getting all event info onto the wiki (NPCs, foes, dialogue, correct documentation of all followup events, etc). This was MUCH easier when we had servers; I could guest onto a lower pop server and not have to deal with so many other players. But now, almost 100% of the time I'm out doing events for the wiki, I'll politely tell players I'm trying to document the event on the wiki and I'll ask them to let the event fail, and while many players appreciate the work it takes to keep the wiki updated and will kindly acquiesce, I'm ALWAYS getting a troll who thinks it's hilarious to follow me around and make sure I can't do what I've volunteered my own personal time to do for the community. Literally almost 100% of the time, I get such a troll just following me and harassing me and other players who volunteer to help me. Can we please get a way to report these jerkbags and get account action for them?

And how exactly should I distinguish somebody like @"Musha.4025" from a troll who pretends to be a wiki volunteer and threatens me with ban if I won't allow event I'm participating in to fail? Why should I believe one of them, and don't believe the other? If Anet cares about it, instead of instilling report wars, they should just give some special tag to volunteers so other players could see they are on a mission sanctioned by Anet.

> @"MoriMoriMori.5349" said:

> And how exactly should I distinguish somebody like @"Musha.4025" from a troll who pretends to be a wiki volunteer and threatens me with ban if I won't allow event I'm participating in to fail? Why should I believe one of them, and don't believe the other? If Anet cares about it, instead of instilling report wars, they should just give some special tag to volunteers so other players could see they are on a mission sanctioned by Anet.

Well, wiki volunteers can't ban, so if they threaten that, they are probably a troll... On the other hand, what's the troll about? How is getting an event to fail even a troll? You still get most of the same benefits when you fail an event, plus bonus events in many cases upon a failed event for even more rewards. Ok yeah, I've convinced myself and changed my mind. I seriously doubt anybody that's ever messaged you asking you to fail an event for the wiki was ever a troll. lol And I suppose that's what the report feature is for. If we could get a griefing report option, then the team could analyze such cases. If somebody really is out there pretending to be a wiki-er asking people to fail events for who the puppy knows why, they could be reported. Likewise, the jerkbags who are out there hassling people like me who devote a very significant amount of their own time to try to help the wiki and the GW2 community can be reported and get the bans they deserve for actively working against the community.