Berserker Overhaul next week!

DanAlcedo.3281

Warrior

In this update, the warrior's berserker elite specialization is seeing a drastic overhaul. The goal of these changes is to give the specialization more compelling and thematic core gameplay that better distinguishes it from base warrior and spellbreaker gameplay.

To this end, the first major change is that we're moving the berserk-mode activation to the F1 slot and removing the F2 slot entirely. In order to use primal bursts, a berserker must now activate berserk mode first. Removing access to normal warrior bursts and putting primal bursts behind berserk mode focuses the specialization around its unique mechanic.

Additionally, berserk mode itself has been changed and will grant power and condition-damage bonuses in exchange for a toughness penalty. We're doing this in order to solidify the berserker's identity as a powerful but fragile combatant. Those willing to take the risks should find higher damage output than other, more durable, warrior options.

Another major change is in how berserk mode is managed. Previously it was a limited-time mode with a set duration. This update changes the primary functionality of rage skills to extend berserk-mode duration rather than granting adrenaline. While they are still useful skills outside of berserk mode, proper use while in berserk mode can dramatically extend the damage window to use primal bursts.

Finally, we're making some changes to several berserker traits and primal burst skills in order to allow power-berserker builds to exist alongside the more popular condition damage variant.

Double Chop: Adjusted the attack timing so that the hits occur later in the animation. Adjusted the damage so that the second hit deals more damage than the first. Total damage and casting time are unchanged.

Battle Standard: Fixed a bug that caused this skill to have a shorter casting time while underwater than on land. Adjusted the timing of the visual effects so that the attack lines up properly with the banner's arrival.

Banners: Adjusted timing for skill warm-up visual effects.

Magebane Tether: Fixed a bug that could cause this trait to fail when the warrior used an unblockable burst skill against a blocking foe. Fixed a bug that caused this trait to fail if the warrior was airborne.

Rampage: Fixed a bug that caused this skill to show an incorrect duration in PvP and WvW.

Berserker elite specialization changes include the following:

Berserk:

This skill has been moved to slot 1 of the profession mechanic bar. Slot 2 of the profession mechanic bar has been removed when warriors use the berserker specialization.

Berserk mode is no longer instant and has a casting time.

Entering berserk mode now initiates an attack that damages nearby foes and inflicts burning for 3 seconds.

Berserk mode is no longer a rage skill. Instead, it is considered a level-3 burst skill.

Primal Bursts: Removed some visual warm-up effects from these skills that could obscure the character.

Decapitate: This skill has been reworked. It is now a long-range melee attack that does not leap forward and only hits 1 target. This skill recharges instantly if it hits and can be affected by quickness and slow.

Arc Divider: This skill has been reworked. It no longer deals bonus damage to low-health targets. Instead, it now spins and strikes 3 times. Each strike increases in radius.

Rupturing Smash: Cleaned up animation, and reduced casting time by approximately 0.1 seconds.

Flaming Flurry: Updated the description and tooltip of this skill to clarify that it blocks missiles.

Rage Skills: These skills no longer restore adrenaline by default. Instead, rage skills extend the duration of berserk mode.

Wild Blow: This skill no longer gives adrenaline or removes conditions. Instead, it extends the duration of berserk mode by 3 seconds if it hits. It also grants 8 seconds of fury if it hits.

Sundering Leap: Cleaned up animation, and reduced casting time by approximately 0.1 seconds. This skill no longer grants adrenaline. Instead, it extends berserk by 5 seconds if it hits.

Outrage: This skill no longer grants adrenaline. Instead, it extends berserk by 1 second. It extends berserk by 5 seconds if a stun is broken.

Blood Reckoning: This skill now only recharges primal burst skills instead of all burst skills. It extends berserk mode duration by 2 seconds.

Shattering Blow: This skill no longer grants adrenaline. It now extends berserk duration by 2 seconds on hit.

Head Butt: This skill extends berserk duration by 2 seconds in addition to its previous effects.

Dead or Alive: This trait now increases incoming healing by 10% in addition to its previous effects.

Bloody Roar: Increased the damage bonus of this trait from 10% to 20%. It no longer causes berserk mode to taunt.

Eternal Champion: This trait no longer grants stability when first entering berserk mode. Instead, it grants 300 toughness in berserk mode.

Savage Instinct: This trait no longer removes conditions. Instead, it gives 100% damage resistance for 1 second when activating berserk mode, in addition to breaking stuns.

Fatal Frenzy: This trait no longer gives boons. Instead, while in berserk mode, this trait reduces toughness by 300, increases power by 300, and increases condition damage by 300.

Always Angry: This trait has been reworked and renamed Burst of Aggression.

Burst of Aggression: Grants quickness and superspeed for 3 seconds when berserk mode is first activated.

Smash Brawler: This trait no longer reduces recharge of berserk mode and primal bursts. Instead, it extends the duration of berserk mode by 5 seconds.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like an overall nerf. Berserker mode got worse, Arc Divider now has a cast duration (DPS is lower, easy to interrupt, easy to just run away from it). The changes to the utilities are mostly meaningless, they're far too terrible to ever be used. Berserker is dead, but it was already dead, luckily, so not much has changed.

hm... so instead of passive +7% dmg and condi dmg for 30 sec we get 300 power and 300 condition dmg in exchange for 300 toughness only while in berserk mode...

i mean the power variant got a (much needed) buff as it seems right now because bloody roar now gives you 20% bonus dmg.

so the power variant got a 3% dmg buff and 300 extra power in exchange for 300 toughness.

but the condi variant simply lost 300 thoughness, 7% condi dmg aswell as the ability to use normal burst skills in exchange for 300 flat condi dmg stats.

well we have to see what kinda rotation evolves out of these changes and if condi war will still be a thing after the patch or if this patch will even be a slight buff.

Edit: i don't think this patch will change anything about berserker in pvp/wvw because the (now even more) lacking surviveability is not made up by burst, dmg potential or mobility. And most important the berserker is still lacking the ability to stick onto a target and will still be easily kited.

Also thief interrupting berserk activation will be a thing now..

> @"Ferus.3165" said:

> hm... so instead of passive +7% dmg and condi dmg for 30 sec we get 300 power and 300 condition dmg in exchange for 300 toughness only while in berserk mode...

>

> i mean the power variant got a (much needed) buff as it seems right now because bloody roar now gives you 20% bonus dmg.

> so the power variant got a 3% dmg buff and 300 extra power in exchange for 300 toughness.

>

> but the condi variant simply lost 300 thoughness, 7% condi dmg aswell as the ability to use normal burst skills in exchange for 300 flat condi dmg stats.

>

> well we have to see what kinda rotation evolves out of these changes and if condi war will still be a thing after the patch or if this patch will even be a slight buff.

>

Before:

Always Angry: 7% Dmg buff

Bloody Roar: 10% Dmg buff

Fatal Frenzy: Fury/Quickness/Swiftness

After:

Fatal Frenzy: 300 Power/Condi

Bloody Roar: 20% Dmg Buff

Always Angry: Grants quickness and superspeed for 3 seconds when berserk mode is first activated.Grants quickness and superspeed for 3 seconds when berserk mode is first activated.

Aka a 3% dmg buff + 300Power ontop.

Thats a buff in my eyes

> @"DanAlcedo.3281" said:

> Aka a 3% dmg buff + 300Power ontop.

>

> Thats a buff in my eyes

that is exactly what i wrote

"so the power variant got a 3% dmg buff and 300 extra power in exchange for 300 toughness."

and it really does not seem like much

> @"Ferus.3165" said:

> > @"DanAlcedo.3281" said:

> > Aka a 3% dmg buff + 300Power ontop.

> >

> > Thats a buff in my eyes

>

> that is exactly what i wrote

>

> "so the power variant got a 3% dmg buff and 300 extra power in exchange for 300 toughness."

>

> and it really does not seem like much

I should read before i write. "facepalm"

Im just to existed to focus because is got excatly what i wanted.

"dances like nobody is watching"

It is making difference between being in berserk mode and out more significant. Which is good.

Lowered toughness means that enemies can kill you more easily but you are also more dangerous to them (unless you take new Eternal Champ trait).

Some of the primal burst changes seem to be really interesting, especially Decapitate with instant recharge upon hit (+ they called it long-range melee attack, hype). Arc Divider seems to be very good cleave burst now.

The most important thing is, what is the cast time of berserk, duration without bonuses (probably 10 seconds), cooldown (probably 15 seconds), how practical will be maintaining it and how smooth those new animations will be. I hope there won't be any disgusting aftercasts on Decapitate/Arc Divider.

Also, don't forget that berserker can now instantly get Adrenal Health and Berserker's Power lvl 3 buffs by just going into Berserk mode.

God please let Arc Divider be the ultimate spin2win skill.

Nike mentioned this on Twitter and I must agree. Still dumb that we can't get the most out of the Berserker update because we are forced to take Physical Skills for Peak Performance and obviously the CC anyway.

Though I guess a pure condi variant might not have that problem.

Either way, this is exciting and I am liking the theme of trading defense for offense. That should be a thing in more aspects of the game and might give some additional tools to balance things out.

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> Nike mentioned this on Twitter and I must agree. Still dumb that we can't get the most out of the Berserker update because we are forced to take Physical Skills for Peak Performance and obviously the CC anyway.

Yes, making rage skills to be counted as physical skills would be nice. On the other hand, you can always take Mending and use that one for PP bonus, but cast time and PP uptime would be probably still quite low.

Slotting up all rage skills is kinda overkill. Maybe if you can stay in berserk mode permanently with alacrity and damage output will be higher than with PP buff, then it will be just better :) It requires testing, finding out rotations that will work the best. I am sure there will be something really good!

> @"cryorion.9532" said:

> > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > Nike mentioned this on Twitter and I must agree. Still dumb that we can't get the most out of the Berserker update because we are forced to take Physical Skills for Peak Performance and obviously the CC anyway.

>

> Yes, making rage skills to be counted as physical skills would be nice. On the other hand, you can always take Mending and use that one for PP bonus, but cast time and PP uptime would be probably still quite low.

> Slotting up all rage skills is kinda overkill. Maybe if you can stay in berserk mode permanently with alacrity and damage output will be higher than with PP buff, then it will be just better :) It requires testing, finding out rotations that will work the best. I am sure there will be something really good!

The biggest problem i see is this:

Berserk:

This skill has been moved to slot 1 of the profession mechanic bar. Slot 2 of the profession mechanic bar has been removed when warriors use the berserker specialization.

Aka: **You can NOT use normal burst skill while you have Berserker slotted**

> @"DanAlcedo.3281" said:

> Aka: **You can NOT use normal burst skill while you have Berserker slotted**

Yes, thats the trade-off they mentioned at the beginning. But thats okay, i think.

I am more in fear of the cooldown of berserker mode.

And, more importend, do you lose your adrenaline when you got interrupted in the activation of berserker mode?

> @"Rettan.9603" said:

> > @"DanAlcedo.3281" said:

> > Aka: **You can NOT use normal burst skill while you have Berserker slotted**

>

> Yes, thats the trade-off they mentioned at the beginning. But thats okay, i think.

>

> I am more in fear of the cooldown of berserker mode.

> And, more importend, do you lose your adrenaline when you got interrupted in the activation of berserker mode?

Most likely.

It wont be overpowered ( i think) but atleast is should be "usable" now.

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> I think it's okay considering the frequency at which we will be able to use our primal bursts once we are in Berserker mode. Also it counts as activating a level 3 burst, which means full stacks of that one trait, right?

3 Traits:

Cleansing Ire, Adrenal Health and Berserkers Power. Chose your game mode :-)

> @"Rettan.9603" said:

> > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > I think it's okay considering the frequency at which we will be able to use our primal bursts once we are in Berserker mode. Also it counts as activating a level 3 burst, which means full stacks of that one trait, right?

>

> 3 Traits:

> Cleansing Ire, Adrenal Health and Berserkers Power. Chose your game mode :-)

It's funny how I regularly use all of them but when I want to talk about it neither of them came to mind :joy:

Gonna love me my axe burst resets though. My favorite weapon already!

So you get 3% more damage if you pick a certain trait, 300 power and 300 less toughness, Berserk with cast time, couple new burst skill which will probably be bad, no burst skill outside Berserk. How is this supposed to make one of the worst specs in the game adequate?

While I'm excited to see Berserker getting some attention, I'm not overly enthused about what I'm reading. If I understand this correctly, we're losing regular burst skills, and we won't be able to utilize primal burst skills until we activate Berserk mode (I'm assuming we'll still need three bars of adrenaline to activate it). While this is alarming to me, if you continue to read the notes, you'll notice a common recurring theme, "This skill no longer grants adrenaline. It now extends berserk duration".

So, unless I'm wrong, burst skills are going to be far and few between. Also, is primal burst skills still going to count as one bar of adrenaline expended? :confused:

> @"Mighty Cole.7849" said:

> While I'm excited to see Berserker getting some attention, I'm not overly enthused about what I'm reading. If I understand this correctly, we're losing regular burst skills, and we won't be able to utilize primal burst skills until we activate Berserk mode (I'm assuming we'll still need three bars of adrenaline to activate it). While this is alarming to me, if you continue to read the notes, you'll notice a common recurring theme, "This skill no longer grants adrenaline. It now extends berserk duration".

>

> So, unless I'm wrong, burst skills are going to be far and few between. Also, is primal burst skills still going to count as one bar of adrenaline expended? :confused:

in pve with cd reset on axe primal burst and axe mastery you'd probably easily be able to keep up those 3 stacks of berserkers power (so more axe/axe camping in pve). In other gamemodes however this won't matter as berserker still won't have any use in wvw/pvp (unless the new burst skills have broken dmg numbers).

and condi berserker will probably even be nerfed with this patch, because you lose 7% condi dmg (300 flat condi dmg kinda make up for it but only when berserk mode is active) and the ability to use the normal longbow burst which is quite often used in the condi zerker rotation.

I Pretty love that changes cause of power Berserker will be back in PvE. (hopfully in pvp too but we Need to see) Overall Berserker warr could stack 60% Damage increase now (21% Berserker's Power/20% Peake Performance/20% Bloody Roar).

P.S. Berserker's Power cause of this buff /Berserk mode is no longer a rage skill. Instead, it is considered a level-3 burst skill.