Maclainer Diemer is no longer full time composer/music director for ArenaNet

[Here](

) is his twitter about it. Keep reading beyond the first message.

[Here](

) is the Reddit topic about it. Maclaine himself has posted there discussing the change.

He will continue to work on Guild Wars 2 for now, just not as a full time composer. He'll also be able to dedicate more time to other projects.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> It might just be the mobile version bug but I can’t see or click on a link. Is there a copy/paste text?

The mobile version is tricky like that. Simply press the first word ("here") in both paragraphs to follow the links.

> @"rng.1024" said:

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > It might just be the mobile version bug but I can’t see or click on a link. Is there a copy/paste text?

>

> The mobile version is tricky like that. Simply press the first word ("here") in both paragraphs to follow the links.

Aha thanks. I was clicking the wrong word

Sounds like the change should be minimal from our pov, which is good considering how strong the gw2 score has been over the years

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> This is something he asked for, and was graciously granted by ArenaNet.

Or, it could be one more sign of how the studio's morale is terrible after all the firings and the cancellation of other projects, so, instead of remaining in a single-game-only (and thus doomed) studio, the most talented people are leaving.

I guess it's a matter of if you are a "glass half full" or "glass half empty" person.

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> Seems that Anet thinks they won't be needing as much of the music as before. Which is hardly suprising, seeing as an expac doesn't seem to be in the plans, and new fractal/raid releases are likely to get a lower developer effort and longer release schedules as well.

Or, they don't need a full time composer/music director to do that work either, especially since he stated that he hasn't been in the Seattle area for a while now...which means he's basically been doing this already...only now he's not employed by ArenaNet full time which allows him to pursue other projects during down time. From what I've learned over the years the score is either done before hand(rarely), or much closer to release as one of the last things worked on...neither of those scenarios requires someone be employed by the studio full time.

> @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > Seems that Anet thinks they won't be needing as much of the music as before. Which is hardly suprising, seeing as an expac doesn't seem to be in the plans, and new fractal/raid releases are likely to get a lower developer effort and longer release schedules as well.

>

> Or, they don't need a full time composer/music director to do that work either, especially since he stated that he hasn't been in the Seattle area for a while now...which means he's basically been doing this already...only now he's not employed by ArenaNet full time which allows him to pursue other projects during down time. From what I've learned over the years the score is either done before hand(rarely), or much closer to release as one of the last things worked on...neither of those scenarios requires someone be employed by the studio full time.

This is what I took from it. It might also mean his work gets a wider audience through other projects which is a good thing given his talent

I'm so glad I haven't had this kind of public scrutiny when I've changed jobs or working hours. With one exception I've enjoyed all my previous jobs and left on good terms, always for personal reasons. Same when I changed my working hours (and believe me a lot of employees are very happy when their employer allows that, even in the UK where 'at will' employment is illegal so they can't fire you for asking - they can refuse and force you to find another job instead of working on a compromise which suits both parties).

Because I always left on good terms I found it stressful enough leaving - trying to make sure everything was handed over properly, plans were in place for anything happening in the short term, all the relevant people were informed etc. I can't imagine also having to deal with customers speculating on what the company must have done to drive me out and how it's a sign the entire organisation is doomed.

Considering he's said on both Twitter and Reddit that it was his choice and something he's wanted to do for a while now, and we have literally no other information about the decision to go on, I think it's reasonable to assume that is the truth and not some kind of cover-up he's been forced to play out for our benefit.

well he's not going to say, "oops sorry guys anet has downgraded me from full time to part time cuz they didn't generate enough profits", is he? wouldn't look good on his resume for the next employment opportunity.

pppl lie all the time (including anet). even i lie when leaving my job, i was sick of lazy ppl, but i didn't say that I left because ppl were lazy, I said that i had cancer.

Sadly, this is what you get for posting information no one has asked for in a time where many have nothing but negativity to contribute on the topic of people (supposedly) leaving a company that was recently hit by mass lay-offs.

Edit: Perhaps it is a good idea to wait and see what we are going to get in the future music-wise instead of predicting doom & gloom once more?

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> Considering he's said on both Twitter and Reddit that it was his choice and something he's wanted to do for a while now, and we have literally no other information about the decision to go on, I think it's reasonable to assume that is the truth and not some kind of cover-up he's been forced to play out for our benefit.

I think it's a matter of how you want to interpret it.

One could go for the overly positive interpretation: "Wow, ArenaNet is so great! They graciously allowed him to keep working with them even under reduced hours, out of pure kindness!".

Or one could go for the overly negative interpretation: "Wow, ArenaNet is horrible! They're a sinking ship, everyone is leaving left and right now!"

Or anything in between.

IMO, the only interpretation objectively wrong is the one in which the person believes his/her interpretation to be a fact, not merely an opinion.

> @"Erasculio.2914" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > Considering he's said on both Twitter and Reddit that it was his choice and something he's wanted to do for a while now, and we have literally no other information about the decision to go on, I think it's reasonable to assume that is the truth and not some kind of cover-up he's been forced to play out for our benefit.

>

> I think it's a matter of how you want to interpret it.

>

> One could go for the overly positive interpretation: "Wow, ArenaNet is so great! They graciously allowed him to keep working with them even under reduced hours, out of pure kindness!".

>

> Or one could go for the overly negative interpretation: "Wow, ArenaNet is horrible! They're a sinking ship, everyone is leaving left and right now!"

>

> Or anything in between.

>

> IMO, the only interpretation objectively wrong is the one in which the person believes his/her interpretation to be a fact, not merely an opinion.

>

Except believing Anet forced him out also requires believing that they forced him to lie about what happened on Twitter, and that he accepted that requirement. Which seems very unlikely to me, especially because if he had said nothing it's highly unlikely any GW2 players would have found out it happened at all. This is not something they needed to cover up or create fake positive PR around, if they didn't want anyone worrying the simplest solution would be for everyone involved to say nothing at all.

I guess it's possible there could be companies that would go to those lengths to lie to customers, but then I find it hard to believe anyone who knew that was happening would want to associate with them. Especially if they only make computer games, meaning there's basically no consequences to refusing to use their products.