Tome of Knowledge

I destroyed 5 stacks of tomes once... then I decided to make new characters after trying new classes for PvP wings req.

Then PoF was announced. Sure I have a level 80 boost. But those tomes would have been useful.

Then there is key farming. You need 10 tomes a week.

AAAAND the time I finally decide to upgrade guild hall... tomes.

Also many of us vets destroyed MYSTIC COINS by the stack in the old days... now look at them.

Hoard.

Everything.

> @"Omar Aschi Popp.7496" said:

> I destroyed 5 stacks of tomes once... then I decided to make new characters after trying new classes for PvP wings req.

>

> Then PoF was announced. Sure I have a level 80 boost. But those tomes would have been useful.

>

> Then there is key farming. You need 10 tomes a week.

>

> AAAAND the time I finally decide to upgrade guild hall... tomes.

>

> Also many of us vets destroyed MYSTIC COINS by the stack in the old days... now look at them.

>

> Hoard.

> Everything.

I used to just give away my mystic coins....

Now I hoard everything just in case.

Tomes should stay offered as a reward they were something that was more desperatly needed on release to not force the pvp players lots of pve before going in wvw undergeared/levelled.

At that point in time pvp only would be going in wvw without levels or enough gold to even repair armor. I'd rather get rewards I might not need but were required than none at all like pvp on release.

> @Dante.1763 said:

> as someone who mainly does PVE, and such content(fractals/Dungeons) i never have enough. Currently have a bunch of characters sitting around waiting for tomes to level them with.

Same, I still need like 142+ as I only have 58 spirit shards on hand. They should be trade-able if everyone keeps complaining about them being too common. Let those of us who need it more utilize it. Simple solution. They get paid for discarding what they have too much of.

> @mXz.4512 said:

> > @Dante.1763 said:

> > as someone who mainly does PVE, and such content(fractals/Dungeons) i never have enough. Currently have a bunch of characters sitting around waiting for tomes to level them with.

>

> Same, I still need like 142+ as I only have 58 spirit shards on hand. They should be trade-able if everyone keeps complaining about them being too common. Let those of us who need it more utilize it. Simple solution. They get paid for discarding what they have too much of.

They will never be tradable.

That would make max leveling commodity that players can cash in on.

Right now there is only ONE source of leveling through purchase. Guess what it is.

And who sells it.

> @Jinroh.4251 said:

> > @Samnang.1879 said:

> > I don't mind getting them, but I wish we don't have to confirm "yes or no" when u click on them.

> > ...

>

> An easy solution would be "Consume stack?" instead of clicking on each and every one. I know it lets you do that with other stackable things in game.

I don't think it has that option unless it's been recently added...

Only essences of luck has that option.

> @Myrdreth.6829 said:

> > @sorudo.9054 said:

> > i can never get to many of them, i am to much an altaholic.

>

> I still want so much more alts. Every race/class combination and maybe every race/class and gender combination as well in the future <3

I actually have done that - every race/class/gender. I actually have at least three of every class right now and just got some more character slots for future use.

I am also sitting on 4 characters currently leveling up to 80 and I am using every Tome that I get. I did the normal level up on my first two characters of each class and don't really feel the need to play to level the rest.

> @BlueIce.6951 said:

> > @Myrdreth.6829 said:

> > > @sorudo.9054 said:

> > > i can never get to many of them, i am to much an altaholic.

> >

> > I still want so much more alts. Every race/class combination and maybe every race/class and gender combination as well in the future <3

>

> I actually have done that - every race/class/gender. I actually have at least three of every class right now and just got some more character slots for future use.

> I am also sitting on 4 characters currently leveling up to 80 and I am using every Tome that I get. I did the normal level up on my first two characters of each class and don't really feel the need to play to level the rest.

Oh, that's nice! At the moment I only have all of the female humans with every class and one female guardian Asura, Sylvari, Charr an Norn(guardian is my favorite class).

I leveled my human guardian without tomes and that's enough for me. I don't need to level the others from scratch. But I like to explore the world with my alts and dress them up, that's fun. Oh, and seeing the storyline through their eyes :)

Purely from PvE, you don't get that many tomes of knowledge. But they start to accumulate when you start playing PvP and WvW. I'm almost at 1k tomes currently and while I have been playing more WvW lately, I also spend decent amount of time doing PvE stuff. Use all option would be nice to have so you don't have to click them through to get your character lvl 80.

Should they be toned down? Maybe Anet should make some changes on reward tracks and put some other rewards. For example Gift of Battle track has 8 tomes of knowledges, 1 per reward tier. 4 would be just fine. Also need for tomes isn't that high for players who has been playing the game from start. 5th year gift has 50 lvl experience scroll so you only need after that 30 tomes.

Another option could be that you could get something else from the tomes than spirits shards. If you use it on lvl 80 character, that is.

Or there could be option to exchange X amount of tomes for XX lvl experience scroll. Similar way as you can exchange 20 Writs of experience into tome. I wouldn't mind if you would have to use more tomes than 80 to get for example 80 lvl experience scroll.

While I agree vets and players who have no use for them basically get tomes thrown at their faces, you must remember that _new players_ would appreciate any form of extra freebie level up. It would be lovely if there were a system in place to _exchange tomes_ for, per say, a _booster_ of some sort. ANet could even make them required for a new skin in the MF or as part of _recipes_ if you believe we obtain far too many.

I think they've finally removed tomes from stuff like BL chests which is a step in the right direction. Either way, they're here to stay. Personally, I'm holding onto at least 650+ of them in case they make them useful for higher-tier crafting recipes etc. Far fetched, but it's a possibility I wouldn't mind having available.

> @Zephyra.4709 said:

> While I agree vets and players who have no use for them basically get tomes thrown at their faces, you must remember that _new players_ would appreciate any form of extra freebie level up. It would be lovely if there were a system in place to _exchange tomes_ for, per say, a _booster_ of some sort. ANet could even make them required for a new skin in the MF or as part of _recipes_ if you believe we obtain far too many.

>

> I think they've finally removed tomes from stuff like BL chests which is a step in the right direction. Either way, they're here to stay. Personally, I'm holding onto at least 650+ of them in case they make them useful for higher-tier crafting recipes etc. Far fetched, but it's a possibility I wouldn't mind having available.

Yeah luckily they removed tomes from black lion chests.

Only reason I play WvW is because of the tomes.

It's mind-numbingly boring since there's no story or anything else of interest, but I have alts to level and tomes are pretty much non-existent in PvE. There's currently only a few reward tracks that are of interest to me, and reducing tomes from those would only make me dislike WvW more than I already do.

OK, here's the thing. Let's assume all the PvE only players are definitely only PvE. This means that on average they are also not completing their daily every time they log in because I cannot believe they are ONLY doing the PvE daily reqs to get it. Maybe half of them are. The rest are doing maybe 2 of the 3. MOST players are more likely to jump into WvW or PvP daily rooms to knock out at least one of the dailies to earn the 2 gold for the day. In that way, they should be on some track and getting those rewards as well, and most if not all reward tracks give out the tomes like candy.

Barring all of that though, unless you are a free to play (which no one commenting here is as they can't comment on the forums) then you should be getting 10-16 (if you choose the tomes from the final chest) tomes a month just from logging in. Not including story step rewards that might have them. Sure, at first you might struggle to get enough if you are constantly using them to up the level of a toon on a non-maxed account, but many of us are literally swimming in them now. That's just a reality.

I used to to think they weren't that plentiful either but there comes a point where you keep getting them and can't do much with them unless you buy more character slots.

> @Malavian.4695 said:

> I think the real danger of so many tomes of knowledge is it undermines the need for the low level areas of maps. With so many characters going automatically to lvl 80 the old maps are likely to belong to the Ascalonian ghosts.

Even though I like to level my alts with tomes of knowledges I still like to explore the whole world with all of them until they all completed the whole exploration of the world.