Fall damage and Weyandt's Revenge

The other day my wife and I jumped down the Sharkmaw Caverns from the exact same point and landed onto the exact same spot. She had more health points than I, she died, I survived. My understanding from the wiki is that fall damage is a percentage of your health points exponentially aggravated by the falling height, so I don't understand what happened. Is there some magic in that place that changes the laws of the game?

_EDIT: Edited the discussion title._

Ha, I'm discovering these traits. The first time I jumped, as a low level elementalist who just found the way to the vista, I had no fall damage trait or anything activated, and a squishy build. However, I was lucky enough to pick one particular starting point that saved me. -- Are spoilers permitted on the forum? I will describe it and why I picked it if they are and I can find the spoiler tag. -- When I went back with my wife, we jumped from the same point, I was a ranger this time, she was a higher level mesmer; it is possible I had the Soften the Fall trait though; but we jumped the same trajectory I jumped as the elementalist.

We still have to try the Cavern again because we haven't finished it. But I just spoiled myself looking it up a bit on the wiki. A difference in one inch might make the difference actually, so it's probably just a matter of luck, not mechanics. Thank you for the replies!

@"Randulf.7614" - Yes, it is Lion's Arch's jumping puzzle. As Ashantara suggests, try it again with a trait that reduces fall damage. I can also share how I did it even without the trait if I get a confirmation that I can write spoilers here.

@"Ashantara.8731" - Thank you for the clarification. Indeed, "percentage" means the damage points are proportional to the character's vitality, which as a consequence doesn't matter at all. I had missed the logic of it.

Spoilers are permitted on the forum, although if it's something new or a major plot point it's polite to warn people at the start of the post so they can skip it if they want to. You can also use spoiler tags: type [ spoiler ] before and [/ spoiler ] after the text you want to hide, without the spaces between the brackets and the text.

It looks like this:

And when you click on it the hidden text is revealed.

As for your question Sharkmaw's entrance is weird, a very small difference in starting position or the path you slide down can make the difference between living or dying. I've done it many times, I know the safe paths down by heart but I still get killed sometimes because there's very little margin for error. The good news is fall damage doesn't damage your armour and you're in a city so waypoints are free, so it's just a matter of getting back there and trying again.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> As for your question Sharkmaw's entrance is weird, a very small difference in starting position or the path you slide down can make the difference between living or dying. I've done it many times, I know the safe paths down by heart but I still get killed sometimes because there's very little margin for error.

I always use the right-handed side with many "teeth" to land on as stops along the way down.

Thank you, @"Danikat.8537" ! @"Ashantara.8731" , this is the path I discovered by mere luck the first time around :) @"archmagus.7249" , I'm not sure, I'll test it with a starting character with no skill out of scientific curiosity.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> LOL! I hope your insurance covers the hospital bill. :p

There should be an insurance agent NPC at the entrance of the caverns selling search and rescue plans, and returning your equipment to your family should you fail in your brave endeavor :]

Well, I just tried with a level 13 revenant with no great slot skill. I went down the same way as before, first sliding, stopping hard (and losing a good dose of HPs of course), then jumping. And I lived! I took the opportunity of being alone to study the deadly shaft for my future memoirs :P But I didn't continue the puzzle, for lack of any skills that could light the way or teleport me. It's definitely easier as a ranger with a torch or an elementalist in fire attunement with the lightning flash cantrip.

> @"Leo.3428" said:

> There should be an insurance agent NPC at the entrance of the caverns selling search and rescue plans, and returning your equipment to your family should you fail in your brave endeavor :]

:+1: :p

> Well, I just tried with a level 13 revenant with no great slot skill. I went down the same way as before, first sliding, stopping hard (and losing a good dose of HPs of course), then jumping. And I lived!

Yes, it is doable. But it's always risky and the chance of dying is rather big, so equipping a helpful trait is the best plan.