Which mount is the best and how would you rank them all?

![](https://i.imgur.com/Oe43Nep.png "")

This is based of usability.

Griffon stands as possibly the best out of every other mount since it can traverse most, if not all, terrains compared to most mounts.

All the A Listers have a function that serves well in open world hence why most of them are the ones that have functions outside of just being mounts (Canyon Jump, High Vault, Shifting Sands, Barrier Smash)

Skyscale is a B Tier because it's basically a nerfed Griffon at this moment. The wall jump mechanic doesn't exactly do it justice and the hover mechanic is more of a novelty rather than an actual useful function.

Skimmer is only really useful when you're starting out and you want a mount that goes over water. All of its functionalities are easily outdone by all other mounts above, including Skyscale.

I don't even know why I need Warclaw outside of WvW, it's just... there.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Voted Skyscale because if they were to remove ALL mounts except one this one covers most of the bases.

In order of pie chart usage though it is

Raptor

Skyscale

Griffon

Skimmer

Beetle

Springer(this used to be my number two)

Jackal(I see everywhere that some folks really really like this but I find the movement extremely awkward. Unless there is a portal I HAVE to use I don't use this mount.

I do not put Warclaw in with the others as it does not compete. It is ESSENTIAL in wvw and useless outside of it..

> @"Adrianna.3092" said:

> how do you get motion sickness from a video game? your not even actually moving or anything...

Motion sickness from video games is very real for a lot of people. The feeling is often caused by the information your eyes are sending to your brain (watching motion in the game) conflicting with what your inner ear is telling you, which is that you are not actually moving. Just because you don't suffer from it, don't scoff at those who do.

And I voted Griffon; it's my favorite mount.

Ranked in order and sub order based on favorites and their situational uses.

1) Land Mounts - Used most often

Raptor

Roller Beetle

Jackal

2) Aerial or used to get Aerial:

Springer

Griffon

Skyscale

3) Niche Use:

Skimmer

Warclaw

1) Let's be honest, half the game you're going to be traveling on flat ground, which is why land mounts are ranked first on my list. Raptor is the best of the "land" mounts in my option simply because he's the 1st child. RB is fun until you hit a tree or stone, but most times you're going to before you get across a map, so while speedy, the sudden stop can be a bit irritating. Jackal, well...he's not ranked last at least, fun, good travel, can be equally as fast as Raptor, but still not as fun as either raptor or RB imo.

2) When preparing to engage for aerial travel, the Springer is almost always required to achieve a higher dive point, so I can't really say Griffon is the best aerilist without paying tribute to the one that got him there in the first place.

3) Ah, water and wvw, niche indeed, dont get me wrong, good mounts, but there's a reason these two are at the bottom of the list.

Personally my rating for the mounts would be: Griffon > Raptor/Beetle > Skyscale > Springer > Skimmer > Jackal > WarClaw

To explain, the griffon is an amazing mount that I can take to any map and for the most part, not need to worry about switching. The Griffon is fast and fun to use. If I need to go somewhere far and there happens to be a large incline/decline on the way there, I’m happy to jump off it and soar to my destination with the Griffon.

The Raptor and Beetle both tie for second with me simply because they are both great ground mounts that are able to cover a good amount of distance in a short amount of time. I use my raptor if the place I want to go to isn’t super far away or is on the other side of a chasm. The beetle on the other hand is if I need to cover a large amount of distance in a short time. Sure the charge up can take a bit, but once you speed off, it doesn’t really matter.

The skyscale has proven to be an amazing mount. It can fly over hazardous areas, and skip enemies much like the Griffon. It can even gain altitude very easily making exploration incredibly easy. Plus it’s a dragon!

Springer, ah yes my good old rabbit/kangaroo buddy, the Springer has helped me access a ton of places throughout Tyria thanks to it’s wonderful jump ability, unfortunately however, I feel that it is now not as good as my skyscale.

As much as I like my skimmer, I hardly ever really use it. The most use it sees from me is if I’m part of a Cobalt squad for Triple Trouble.

My jackal is only ever used to go through some portals. Usually to go view the ghost city in the Desert Highlands at night.

While I could say that I use my warclaw more often than my Jackal, simply because I WvW more than I go through sand portals, I still feel like it is the bottom of the list simply because all the other mounts outshine it in PvE so aside from WvW it’s pretty much useless. Still an awesome mount nonetheless though!

1 Griffon (most fun for me, can do most things I want, favorite looks wise)

2 Bunny/Skyscale (Skyscale might go up once I have all masteries and got well used to it. Both great for climbing heights, which i use depends on situation. And both help giving griffon a height boost. Depending on how good Skyscale gets for me Bunny might drop down significantly. But right now I still love and use it a lot))

3 Raptor (for fast ground travel though I still tend to use griffon for that even if slower. Just used to it and it hops over obstacles easily)

4 Jackal (for sand portals)

5 skimmer (for fast over vast dangerous/annoying surfaces like water and lava)

6 Rollerbeetle (never use it. I suck at it and probably always will due to having no fun using it. I never was any good at racing games either. It's not fast for me because all i do is bump into every wall/obstacle and drop off cliffs).

7 Warclaw (because I don;t wvw and don't own it (yet?))

From best to worst in terms of how much I use them and enjoyment of use:

1. Griffon - I adore this mount and use it constantly for any and everything. It made map completion fun again for me and I just love it so much.

2. Jackal - Most used to fast land travel over uneven terrain. Another mount I just can't live without and the Shrine Guardian skin for it is one of my favs.

3. Raptor - Good for flat land, but fails at slopes, so I use jackal more.

4. Bunny - For when things are just out of reach and I can't use griffon.

5. Skyscale - Clunky and slow. Wall clinging annoys me and I have little use for it. My afk mount of choice.

6. Skimmer - Good for water/lava/brand but that's it.

7. Beetle - Crap controls and poor maneuverability. I got good at using it for the races, but I still hate it.

8. Warclaw - I do not have due to not playing WvW

to everyone putting warclaw in last

well obviously it would have no use in pve but for the sake of it. its a wvw mount with the intention of bringing players to wvw, and it did

daily i see people with ranks lower then bronze in wvw, so there sure was a stream of new players.

same with the vision legendary trinket, people who don't want to do all the achievements in living world season 4, can do the living world season 4 reward tracks in wvw/pvp to get the corsair skins from the final chest that are required to complete the vision legendary

small things like that can only benefit wvw players like myself

even if only 5% of the pve community that comes for these reward tracks stays, it's a win for us (given that they actually want to contribute, as in proper builds and classes as wvw has a meta the same that pve has one.

wvw folks don't play for the rewards since there are none lol, we play for the fun. the more people in our gamemode, the more fun.

in pve:

Griffon the jeep of mounts. Can cross almost any terrain, is reasonable fast, lets you cross chasms and reach interesting points

Raptor so fast

Springer/Skyscale good to get up the walls, not much use otherwise

Skimmer in certain circumstances good (water, quicksand, branded terrain) otherwise useless

Jackal good for those portals, otherwise raptor is just better

Beetle useless, only good for those special walls and races

Warclaw slow and stupid.

in wvw:

Warclaw

Warclaw

Warclaw

Warclaw

Warclaw

Warclaw

Warclaw

Warclaw

1, Skyscale is my new fave. It gets me everywhere I want to go, calmly and easily, just not quickly. And breathes fire!

2. Raptor. It's quick and fun and loaded with personality, and everyone with PoF gets one easily so it's kind of egalitarian.

3. Griffon. Flying is so fun, and if the terrain is rough, flittering over it is more fun than raptoring. Also diving is awesome.

4. Roller Beetle. Speeeeeed! Racing! Cuteness! Wild jaunts over maps, trying not to wrap it around a cliff!

5. Springer. Cute, but awkward to control when just running. Still nice when you want to jump quickly and move on.

6. Skimmer. Utilitarian, only for speeding water travel. The hummingbird and a few other skins are nice to look at, but mostly ugly.

7. Jackal. I only use for jackal gates. Feels lifeless and cludgy compared to raptor when running, though the blink skill is cool.

8. Warclaw. Only for WvW, which I don't play as often as PvE. Looks okay 'bare' but no skins outside of 5-pack which I don't want.

> @"Adrianna.3092" said:

> how do you get motion sickness from a video game? your not even actually moving or anything...

Tell that to your brain. It is the same reason I get vertigo trying to go up the wing to get the blood in the last chapter, and know that will set off a seizure. Brains depend on inputs, it does not have to make sense. You can find all sorts of vids where the brain is fooled into something that is wrong.

Skyscale

Griffon

Raptor

Jackal

Springer

Skimmer

Roller Beetle

I've been using skyscale as main mount since i got it, and i gotta say, it's very useful and a lot of fun. I'm finding random obscure areas on various ls maps that i never had the patience or knowledge i could bunny up to these places before. And since i realised c will make you descend, it's been the best mount so far IMO. It's quite easy to control for me at least, so it's vastly superior to every other mount in terms of mobility. Dare i say, worth the wait and grind?

Griffon goes next, would've been my top had the skyscale not been such a joy to use. My fave fantasy creature! Not as fast as the raptor but the most mobile of the base mounts fer sure. Without skyscale, all you need is springer and jackal and you can get just about everywhere.

Raptor goes next because it's fast, and msot people got em so as someone who frequently commands stuff in open world, it's the mount i use the most when leading a squad.

Jackal is niche but has a nice dismount skill that I use it for fairly frquently.

Springer is almost useless with skyscale - has a fantastic dismount skill though, but not the only mount that has a CC on dismount either (albeit raptor is weaker).

Skimmer is niche too but i rate skimmer as worse because i hate controlling them, and with no useful dismount skill it's also slightly annoying to reach skimmer-locked areas and know im fighting with a heal that won't do shit, when i could have had a CC or high dps to start off a fight.

And finally RB. I understand that it CAN be useful but i am very very very very bad at controlling it, there's few times where i'd rather use a beetle than a raptor, and i still haven't done most of the RB open world races....

I don't include warclaw simply because it has no game function in PvE and as such is not comparable. Based on use, i'd put it just above jackal on my list, but that doesn't mean dragon/gryph/raptor are better in PvE than warclaw is to WvW, based on that it'd be right at the top.

Jackal above all. I love the pose, it feels like both are combined as one, as my character leans on the mount, like horses, and I love watching horses. The 3 endurance bars are fantastic with the ability to play around with the evade mid-air.

It has the same spirit a character would love to have by their side, and with Bond of Vigor... lovely!

Other mounts are not half as good from a personal view, but each has got its own use, though the Jackal rules most of the rides. I miss it a lot as I shifted more into WvW, but it's always there for PvE.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> "None" or "All" weren't options.

>

> I like all the mounts. I think it's amazing that ANet has found a way to introduce each to cover particular niches. I love the tranquility of hovering over the water (or sulfur); it is (as the NPC says) very peaceful. Gone in 60 seconds with Roller Beetle at full throttle is amazingly fun, even if I remain horrible about aiming. The springer is just ridiculous, in both senses of the word: it looks & acts crazy and it's also super fun (and often useful) at getting around certain types of environments (although I fear the Skyscale might outclass it).

Ah yes, the tranquility of hovering over DEATHLY sticking, yellow, toxic sulfur fumes.... xD

> @"Cerioth.7062" said:

> What I find really interesting here is how there seems to be a trend of people favoring either raptor or jackal a lot, and not being so keen of the other option. I thought jackal was faster on basically everything except very even terrains?

I don't know whether that's true. It may be. But there's more to liking a mount than how fast it is.

I love the idle animations for the Raptor. I find the Jackal's animations mostly dull. The howl is about all there is.

I like the way the Raptor looks around while it's running, as if it's interested in the surroundings. The jackal just runs.

When you turn the raptor, it leans like a motorcycle and curves like a snake, and it skids to a stop. The jackal just changes direction and just stops. (Okay, the skid can be slightly annoying if you've only just moved an inch.)

The raptor seems alive and alert, and your character interacts with it and communicates with it during idle animations.

The jackal is a kind of creepy construct made of magic, and your character mostly just sits on it.

Whether it is faster or not, a friendly firefly-eating predatory dinosaur is just way more to my personal taste than a lump of Abaddon's leftover magic....especially since I was not a GW1 player, so the background lore means nothing to me. There are some nice skins for the jackal, but even the beautiful shrine fox skin does not make up for what feels to me like an absence of personality.

> @"aspirine.6852" said:

> Since the Skyscale some of the maps in HoT or perhaps all of them became fun again. So Skyscale was easily worth the effort.

Oh, I didn't think of that part, I might finally be able to get the mastery points I could not figure out how to get to on my own.

> @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > "None" or "All" weren't options.

> >

> > I like all the mounts. I think it's amazing that ANet has found a way to introduce each to cover particular niches. I love the tranquility of hovering over the water (or sulfur); it is (as the NPC says) very peaceful. Gone in 60 seconds with Roller Beetle at full throttle is amazingly fun, even if I remain horrible about aiming. The springer is just ridiculous, in both senses of the word: it looks & acts crazy and it's also super fun (and often useful) at getting around certain types of environments (although I fear the Skyscale might outclass it).

>

> Ah yes, the tranquility of hovering over DEATHLY sticking, yellow, toxic sulfur fumes.... xD

Compared to the dude who doesn't have the skimmer? Yeah, I'm feeling quite tranquil.

1. Raptor: very fast and big jumps to escape mobs

2. griffon: love flying/gliding

3. Springer: makes jumps, useful

4. skimmer: only on water, but good to go over places with branded storms

5. Jackal: don't use it much

6. Beetle: don't use it much

7. warclaw: mostly everyone has it so you won't fall behind group

Skyscale not in the list yet because I dont have it yet

> @"Kylden Ar.3724" said:

> > @"aspirine.6852" said:

> > Since the Skyscale some of the maps in HoT or perhaps all of them became fun again. So Skyscale was easily worth the effort.

>

> Oh, I didn't think of that part, I might finally be able to get the mastery points I could not figure out how to get to on my own.

The one in verdant brink perhaps? :)