To all the Mesmers out there...............

"Port me" is a demand in how it's worded. Might not be ment as it, could be someone not good in english, whatever. Just a simple adding of please makes it from a demand into a request. Nothing wrong with requests.

But most of the time (there are some exceptions like real life emergencies and such) demanding a stranger to do something for you isn't polite/the right way to go about things. I think people are always free to say no to a demand in such a case or simply ignore it. If the one demanding then goes into a tantrum, keeps demanding, insults or whatever, then that is clearly rude on their part and they definitely aren't owned any help.

> @"zeldara.4127" said:

> "Port me" is a demand in how it's worded. Might not be ment as it, could be someone not good in english, whatever. Just a simple adding of please makes it from a demand into a request. Nothing wrong with requests.

> But most of the time (there are some exceptions like real life emergencies and such) demanding a stranger to do something for you isn't polite/the right way to go about things. I think people are always free to say no to a demand in such a case or simply ignore it. If the one demanding then goes into a tantrum, keeps demanding, insults or whatever, then that is clearly rude on their part and they definitely aren't owned any help.

>

Thank you, that's exactly what I mean. In my opinion you can call the "port me"-person impolite, but I wouldn't call him rude / bad-mannered, as we don't know how he behaved afterwards.

> @"Raknar.4735" said:

>

> You know, there are people that help others without expecting something in return. I guess you're not that type of person.

HI Raknar. I never said that i only help people out with the expectation of something in return; i said that if i help someone out (which is entirely my decision) some form of gratitude is appreciated, and that if none is forthcoming i won't help them anymore, notwithstanding that we might have a shared interest in doing whatever it is. I've done my share of mesmer portals because i appreciate that some people have issues with, say jp's, or that they just want the daily done so they can get on with other parts of the game.

Edit: If i'm portalling, i'll announce it on the map and tag up (assuming there are no other tags). I'll wait a bit until some peeps show up and beam them up. In this case i expect nothing, because that is how i am choosing to spend my time. If i'm working on some part of a collection, for example and someone else helps out (however incidentally) i'll thank them because they took the time to do so. Or if it's say daily Vabbian bounty hunter and no-one is doing them, i'll tag up and shout which one i'm doing because it's quite likely that other people will need it too- in this case i also expect nothing due to shared interest and that i choose how to spend my time in-game.

> @"Funky.4861" said:

> > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> >

> > You know, there are people that help others without expecting something in return. I guess you're not that type of person.

>

> HI Raknar. I never said that i only help people out with the expectation of something in return; i said that if i help someone out (which is entirely my decision) some form of gratitude is appreciated, and that if none is forthcoming i won't help them anymore, notwithstanding that we might have a shared interest in doing whatever it is. I've done my share of mesmer portals because i appreciate that some people have issues with, say jp's, or that they just want the daily done so they can get on with other parts of the game.

>

> Edit: If i'm portalling, i'll announce it on the map and tag up (assuming there are no other tags). I'll wait a bit until some peeps show up and beam them up. In this case i expect nothing, because that is how i am choosing to spend my time. If i'm working on some part of a collection, for example and someone else helps out (however incidentally) i'll thank them because they took the time to do so. Or if it's say daily Vabbian bounty hunter and no-one is doing them, i'll tag up and shout which one i'm doing because it's quite likely that other people will need it too- in this case i also expect nothing due to shared interest and that i choose how to spend my time in-game.

This was in your response to Mortifera:

> @"Funky.4861" said:

> If i give someone a hand and don't even get a token of appreciation in return, that's a dealbreaker and they get nothing from me; treat people as you would like to be treated.

You clearly state that you expect a "token of appreciation".

> i said that if i help someone out (which is entirely my decision) some form of gratitude is appreciated, and that if none is forthcoming i won't help them anymore,

As i understand your reply, you help people, and if they don't "appreciate" your help, you will never help them again.

That is an "expectation of grattitude" to me, since you change your stance/attitude towards the other person.

~~It sounds like you "brand" them as "non-helpers" if they don't meet your expectation. That's sounds kind of extreme (in my opinion).~~

Also several posts were already removed for going way too far off-topic. We shouldn't head there again. Discussing this through PMs would be better.

Edit: PMs made things clear, turns out we share a similiar perspective on this. I just value appreciation less when on the receiving end.

It's nice to know we are appreciated I have ported well over 20 or so people to the top of Blazeridge for Acrophobia I was actually waiting for a friend but loads of people kept showing up. I stopped counting after a while but you're right there are some rude people who assume you will port just because but also a number who say thanks and a few of them tip. The weirdest tip I got was 14 strawberries, but it made me smile all the same. I don't expect thanks, but considering you are saving people a job the ones who don't say thanks are disapointing as it shows a level of entitlement that would just never fly irl. As for "port me" it is rude, you'd never ask someone for something like that in real life to their face. We might be in a game but we're still human beings, not npcs.

> @"Lady Celtaine.3760" said:

> It's nice to know we are appreciated I have ported well over 20 or so people to the top of Blazeridge for Acrophobia I was actually waiting for a friend but loads of people kept showing up. I stopped counting after a while but you're right there are some rude people who assume you will port just because but also a number who say thanks and a few of them tip. The weirdest tip I got was 14 strawberries, but it made me smile all the same. I don't expect thanks, but considering you are saving people a job the ones who don't say thanks are disapointing as it shows a level of entitlement that would just never fly irl. As for "port me" it is rude, you'd never ask someone for something like that in real life to their face. We might be in a game but we're still human beings, not npcs.

I should start stockpiling strawberries to tip my friendly neighborhood mesmers. :sweat_smile: