Would you be interested in playing an exclusive version of GW2 built for VR?

Just curious how many people of the GW2 community would be interested in such a thing. A total separate operation from the current game that would be produced parallel to the normal GW2 and no influence in development resources, hypothetically speaking.

This VR game would be built from the ground up around VR but primarily incorporates as much of GW2 gameplay concepts in it (IE: Dynamic events, living Story, fractals, WvW, SPvP, Raids, Dodge mechanics, weapon and skills, etc).

But it fully VR perspective like aiming spells and weapons, different locomotion options, 360 world viewing from headset, hand UI interactions (like grabbing something in your inventory) etc.

Would such a project interest you in anyway?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am sort of middle of road on this. Depends on how well they do the VR as for some people it causes problems like motion sickness. I do know that if they did get this right I would be to busy watching the scenery to get involved in gaming for a goo long while :> Makes me think of a series based in The World where everyone was linked into a VR game. Was a stunning idea and would love to see how something like that grew.

edit - was thinking of .hack//sign . Also realized that I would spend a lot of time on the ground as heights are already stunning enough in normal games - in VR think I might have to many heart attacks (guess would need a safety feature in case people believe the stuff to much).

Nah everything I experienced in Vr made me vomit, first one was a 4D attraction with Vr headset, hell, hear me was hell. I don't know what they have all making vr game... imho it ruins games, even 3D on my 3DS I can't support it. #2D games and isometrics are cool

Although I support VR projects and VR games, I do think the technique is too immature yet to be used in a quality game like GW2. They first need to solve several issues like the motion sickness, the control options and the overall quality of the vr world. This is likely to be many years in the future and mmo's will have evolved as well. Then a fusion of the two platforms would sound like a good plan.

I already don't like the first person camera mode, so it's a definite no. Besides, the technology still isn't there yet (and that's not only about VR itself - for example i haven't seen anything resembling a decent UI for VR interface yet).

Also, high mobility action game + VR + my motion sickness is a really, really bad combination.

I love VR the new headset are getting even better and for the sickness welp anyone prone to car/boat sickness will have issues but for many other it simply a question of setting the headset up right, some people can't tolerate lower HZ and NEED 90hz while other are fine with 60hz which is why for some you want to get 90fps in your VR games though some can tolerate lower with no issues.

For myself I can play game with the VivePro no issues, I find in games where you are flying or moving through the air without being in a vehicle or roller-coaster type content is easier to lose your balance if you try this standing up as the VR can really confuse your senses. You ideally want to simulate what you are doing in game irl, so if playing elite dangerous/racing game you want to be seated, skyrim VR you want to motion sensors on yourself so you can simulate walking while standing etc etc

VR is only going to get better and I think it's here to stay this time around unlike in past attempts.

I would absolutely love a VR experience in Tyria. The world is magnificent and awesome, and it would be fun to experience in a way that only VR can... but not as part of Guild Wars 2. Guild Wars 2 is too dynamic and flighty for VR, and would create a powerful motion sickness response, not to mention having a limited field of view is a massive handicap. It would be virtually (pun intended) unplayable for a majority of audiences.

If there's a way around that, then I'll keep an open mind, but otherwise... hard pass. Maybe a Priory training simulation instead? or a Polymock game?

I don't want to play GW2 in VR mode.

I would, however, love to EXPLORE GW2 in VR mode. No combat, just go around and see the sights, as well as NPCs and some critters wandering around. There's a few monsters I'd love to see up close in VR, so have them around in some areas as well. But actually playing? Nah, VR's not really quite good enough for that yet, for some of the reasons listed above.

> @"MrForz.1953" said:

> Oh man, I don't imagine kit-switching in VR.

If you can manually reload and cock your guns in VR I dont see how Kit swapping would be a problem.

To the other poster above:

Also in the scenario in the original post I said the VR GW2 would be parallel to GW2 normal, so they are separate. So the game would be balanced since everybody in the VR GW2 will be playing GW2. Many games do this when it comes to input methods such as Console gamers play other console gamers and PC gamers play PC gamers of the same game. Keeps balance.

> @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> > @"Warlord.9082" said:

> > GW2 doesn't look good enough nor is it the type of game that I want to play in VR mode.

>

> I mean let's be honest here. Most VR games on steam look worst than GW2. And they play just fine. So no idea what you mean by that.

What makes you think that I am not being honest? Why do I have to agree with you on this? Also: What other games are or are not is not an argument for anything.

> @"Warlord.9082" said:

> > @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> > > @"Warlord.9082" said:

> > > GW2 doesn't look good enough nor is it the type of game that I want to play in VR mode.

> >

> > I mean let's be honest here. Most VR games on steam look worst than GW2. And they play just fine. So no idea what you mean by that.

>

> What makes you think that I am not being honest? Why do I have to agree with you on this? Also: What other games are or are not is not an argument for anything.

Yeah it is. You say it doesnt look good enough for VR as if a VR game requires high end off the charts graphics. No. As a real life examples of this is most of the VR games on SteamVR. GW2 look better than 90% of them if not more.

VR sounds nice but it's more like wishfull thinking, it won't happen. tbh I think this game is on life support. Show me a new expansion announcement first, then talk about how insignificant the layoff affected the future of GW2. Doomsayers get demonized, which is fine.. I won't say a word anymore... except... announce ... a new... expansion for proof.. that.... it's not dying?