QoL on Legendary Runes Not Enough

I understand the philosophy around avoiding even more vertical power creep, but frankly making a stat selectable and instantly removable set of runes is not enough. Even with arguments about balance there's not enough to make most players engage with them. Frankly, I don't see how this will stop people from buying/crafting the runes they need the way we've been doing it up to this point.

1. As someone with a decent handful of legendary weapons and a backpiece (PvP, working on WvW now), I'm pretty disappointed. The stat swappable effects of the other legendary equipment is more significant since it has large impacts on cost of materials for the tier it represents. Namely, ascended crafting materials. I'm aware there are many ways to get ascended weapons and armor, and have done many of them myself. Even still, a moderate amount of playtime has to be dedicated to those formats, be they raids, PvP, WvW or fractals.

2. Is making a super QoL rune _really_ the biggest selling point to *Legendary* quality runes? I would agree it would have to be part of the formula, necessarily so even, but that's _all?_ I respect the choice to avoid adding more visual bloat since we don't need too many more walking rave parties, but _come on!_ We can dial back the professions themselves in terms of balance, thus giving legendary runes a _reason_ to be sought after. I've stuck by the philosophy of not increasing the level cap, account binding everything, and keeping a relatively low and accessible gear ceiling, but I just can't get on board with these "Legendary" runes.

3. This may end up being 2.5, but... The upgrade to Ascended/Legendary quality gear in every other instance does impart a small (5%) increase in stats when the associated gear comes into play. Since it appears that nothing in the rune sets change either in power, cooldown times, or other effects granted via runes.... Why bother? The QoL again. Ahh... I just... I dunno guys... It's a hard sell for me, particularly after looking at the costs. If people see such a wall to access a neat doohickey in-game, they're probably just going to avoid interacting with it entirely. At least, that's how I feel at the moment.

Believe it or not, this comes from a place of love! I just... man, I'm not convinced...

> @"FrigginPaco.4178" said:

> I understand the philosophy around avoiding even more vertical power creep, but frankly making a stat selectable and instantly removable set of runes is not enough. Even with arguments about balance there's not enough to make most players engage with them. Frankly, I don't see how this will stop people from buying/crafting the runes they need the way we've been doing it up to this point.

>

> 1. As someone with a decent handful of legendary weapons and a backpiece (PvP, working on WvW now), I'm pretty disappointed. The stat swappable effects of the other legendary equipment is more significant since it has large impacts on cost of materials for the tier it represents. Namely, ascended crafting materials. I'm aware there are many ways to get ascended weapons and armor, and have done many of them myself. Even still, a moderate amount of playtime has to be dedicated to those formats, be they raids, PvP, WvW or fractals.

> 2. Is making a super QoL rune _really_ the biggest selling point to *Legendary* quality runes? I would agree it would have to be part of the formula, necessarily so even, but that's _all?_ I respect the choice to avoid adding more visual bloat since we don't need too many more walking rave parties, but _come on!_ We can dial back the professions themselves in terms of balance, thus giving legendary runes a _reason_ to be sought after. I've stuck by the philosophy of not increasing the level cap, account binding everything, and keeping a relatively low and accessible gear ceiling, but I just can't get on board with these "Legendary" runes.

> 3. This may end up being 2.5, but... The upgrade to Ascended/Legendary quality gear in every other instance does impart a small (5%) increase in stats when the associated gear comes into play. Since it appears that nothing in the rune sets change either in power, cooldown times, or other effects granted via runes.... Why bother? The QoL again. Ahh... I just... I dunno guys... It's a hard sell for me, particularly after looking at the costs. If people see such a wall to access a neat doohickey in-game, they're probably just going to avoid interacting with it entirely. At least, that's how I feel at the moment.

>

> Believe it or not, this comes from a place of love! I just... man, I'm not convinced...

>

>

I am pretty sure this particular piece of QoL is less about QoL and more about smoothing the transition for build templates in the future. a "While we're working on build template system that sorta does this, we may as well make a new set of runes that works this way." It definitely feels like it's more of a piece of the puzzle, not the entire thing.

> @"Sojourner.4621" said:

> > @"FrigginPaco.4178" said:

> > I understand the philosophy around avoiding even more vertical power creep, but frankly making a stat selectable and instantly removable set of runes is not enough. Even with arguments about balance there's not enough to make most players engage with them. Frankly, I don't see how this will stop people from buying/crafting the runes they need the way we've been doing it up to this point.

> >

> > 1. As someone with a decent handful of legendary weapons and a backpiece (PvP, working on WvW now), I'm pretty disappointed. The stat swappable effects of the other legendary equipment is more significant since it has large impacts on cost of materials for the tier it represents. Namely, ascended crafting materials. I'm aware there are many ways to get ascended weapons and armor, and have done many of them myself. Even still, a moderate amount of playtime has to be dedicated to those formats, be they raids, PvP, WvW or fractals.

> > 2. Is making a super QoL rune _really_ the biggest selling point to *Legendary* quality runes? I would agree it would have to be part of the formula, necessarily so even, but that's _all?_ I respect the choice to avoid adding more visual bloat since we don't need too many more walking rave parties, but _come on!_ We can dial back the professions themselves in terms of balance, thus giving legendary runes a _reason_ to be sought after. I've stuck by the philosophy of not increasing the level cap, account binding everything, and keeping a relatively low and accessible gear ceiling, but I just can't get on board with these "Legendary" runes.

> > 3. This may end up being 2.5, but... The upgrade to Ascended/Legendary quality gear in every other instance does impart a small (5%) increase in stats when the associated gear comes into play. Since it appears that nothing in the rune sets change either in power, cooldown times, or other effects granted via runes.... Why bother? The QoL again. Ahh... I just... I dunno guys... It's a hard sell for me, particularly after looking at the costs. If people see such a wall to access a neat doohickey in-game, they're probably just going to avoid interacting with it entirely. At least, that's how I feel at the moment.

> >

> > Believe it or not, this comes from a place of love! I just... man, I'm not convinced...

> >

> >

>

> I am pretty sure this particular piece of QoL is less about QoL and more about smoothing the transition for build templates in the future. a "While we're working on build template system that sorta does this, we may as well make a new set of runes that works this way." It definitely feels like it's more of a piece of the puzzle, not the entire thing.

I see that as part of the puzzle, however I can't help but feeling terribly underwhelmed by the concept. Frankly, if it's between the huge costs related to carrying around the bare minimum quantity of legendary gear slots to be able to swap every single piece without removing armor for the sake of inventory space and carrying several sets of armor, I'm not sure it will change too many peoples reality: Just lugging everything with you like you did before. I realize there are players with multiple sets of legendary armors and weapons, but I don't see this as making too many people *want* to do more legendary crafting.

Before ArenaNet introduced ascended gear legendary weapons had the same stats as exotics. They increased the stats when they introduced ascended gear because their intention is for legendaries to have the best stats but not be a stat upgrade themselves.

If they introduce ascended upgrades in the future then the legendary upgrades will automatically be updated to match the ascended stats.

Personally, I don't see them as being worth the hassle if they cost more than about 75g each.

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> Before ArenaNet introduced ascended gear legendary weapons had the same stats as exotics. They increased the stats when they introduced ascended gear because their intention is for legendaries to have the best stats but not be a stat upgrade themselves.

>

> If they introduce ascended upgrades in the future then the legendary upgrades will automatically be updated to match the ascended stats.

>

> Personally, I don't see them as being worth the hassle if they cost more than about 75g each.

Right, but runes as a concept can be adjusted in ways that stats alone can't be. For example, the rune specific bonuses. It doesn't even have to the 6th bonus slot, but for the sake of simplicity I'll use this example:

The 6th set bonuses to Superior Rune of Vampirism: +10% Maximum Health; restore 10% of your health upon killing a foe. (As it stands)

Even if it's a completely marginal boost like: +10% Maximum Health; restore 10% of your health upon killing a foe, and steal 3% of your **total hitpoints** (5 second cooldown)

Lets forget about the numbers for a second and still, the added effect would at least separate it from the Exotic version. (Plus, since it's total hitpoints, tanks could actually see some use out of it, since 3% of their health is more significant) Or something like that.

*Edit* and yes, the cost so far is a bit exorbitant, even if it is mostly due to players having a stroke on the marketboards...

> @"ugrakarma.9416" said:

> its like 6 years? 10 years? avoiding the "power creep", i guess now its a time to have a power creep. increase the level cap, new armor tier etc to give some extra breath to this game.

Well, not to derail the idea too much, but generally speaking the Elite Specializations are _all_ forms of power creep. The few core builds that competed with them have been slowly culled. Although they're making visible efforts to make the Elites Specializations more trade-off oriented, the pace is definitely sluggish. As far as gear goes, maybe it is time for _some sort_ of shakeup. All I know is that the Legendary Runes are, so far, not a step in the right direction. Again, fully anticipating that it has more to do with build templates as things stand.

> @"ugrakarma.9416" said:

> its like 6 years? 10 years? avoiding the "power creep", i guess now its a time to have a power creep. increase the level cap, new armor tier etc to give some extra breath to this game.

Given the amount of effort required for a set of legendary armor, and that many players have multiple sets, were ANET to introduce a new level cap and armor tier, say level 90, the community would have a collective apoplexy over realizing their LV 80 legendary gear would become obsolete.

WoW does this with every expansion, but the effort required to get full Epic level, and even some Legendary gear, pales by comparison. Such a change would not work for GW2.

> @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > @"ugrakarma.9416" said:

> > its like 6 years? 10 years? avoiding the "power creep", i guess now its a time to have a power creep. increase the level cap, new armor tier etc to give some extra breath to this game.

>

> Given the amount of effort required for a set of legendary armor, and that many players have multiple sets, were ANET to introduce a new level cap and armor tier, say level 90, the community would have a collective apoplexy over realizing their LV 80 legendary gear would become obsolete.

>

> WoW does this with every expansion, but the effort required to get full Epic level, and even some Legendary gear, pales by comparison. Such a change would not work for GW2.

Generally I feel the same way. However, they have some aspects around gearing and supplemental boosts (food/enhancements) that haven't reached "legendary" status. I see legendary food being similar to Choya Rib Roast:

Nourishment (30 m): 25% Chance on Critical Hit to Inflict Chill for 1 Second, Burning for 2 Seconds, and Poison for 3 Seconds(Cooldown: 20 Seconds)

+70 Condition damage

+1% All Experience Gained

but the legendary version, whatever it is, could be like this:

Nourishment (30 m): 25% Chance on Critical Hit to Inflict Chill for 1 Second, Burning for 2 Seconds, and Poison for 3 Seconds(**Cooldown: 10 Seconds**) (down from 20)

+70 Condition damage

+1% All Experience Gained

> @"Gop.8713" said:

> I think OP has correctly identified the marginal relevance of any legendary item, but that doesn't seem to stop ppl from pursuing them . . .

A QoL stat-selectable item without any other boost simply doesn't do it for me... giving it a "legendary" label/process to obtaining them is really just a formality where this is concerned. At least when I made a legendary weapon I could enjoy a bit of flash on top of it, even if I am glad they won't add to it.

> @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > @"ugrakarma.9416" said:

> > its like 6 years? 10 years? avoiding the "power creep", i guess now its a time to have a power creep. increase the level cap, new armor tier etc to give some extra breath to this game.

>

> Given the amount of effort required for a set of legendary armor, and that many players have multiple sets, were ANET to introduce a new level cap and armor tier, say level 90, the community would have a collective apoplexy over realizing their LV 80 legendary gear would become obsolete.

>

> WoW does this with every expansion, but the effort required to get full Epic level, and even some Legendary gear, pales by comparison. Such a change would not work for GW2.

OMG. I was about to say something else in response to this but what if they ARE going to increase things? Anything legendary would be automatically upgraded too--but if they added ascended runes/sigils that cost a lot to craft/remove then it might make the cost of the legendary runes/sigils more in line with expectations.

In other words, I don't think anything legendary would become obsolete. I think anything /below/ that would.

> @"Etria.3642" said:

> > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > > @"ugrakarma.9416" said:

> > > its like 6 years? 10 years? avoiding the "power creep", i guess now its a time to have a power creep. increase the level cap, new armor tier etc to give some extra breath to this game.

> >

> > Given the amount of effort required for a set of legendary armor, and that many players have multiple sets, were ANET to introduce a new level cap and armor tier, say level 90, the community would have a collective apoplexy over realizing their LV 80 legendary gear would become obsolete.

> >

> > WoW does this with every expansion, but the effort required to get full Epic level, and even some Legendary gear, pales by comparison. Such a change would not work for GW2.

>

> OMG. I was about to say something else in response to this but what if they ARE going to increase things? Anything legendary would be automatically upgraded too--but if they added ascended runes/sigils that cost a lot to craft/remove then it might make the cost of the legendary runes/sigils more in line with expectations.

>

> In other words, I don't think anything legendary would become obsolete. I think anything /below/ that would.

They're not going to increase the level cap or introduce a new gear level for upgrades or other gear. There would be a terrible revolt if they did.

> @"Sigmoid.7082" said:

> When it comes to equipment in GW2 legendary doesn't mean better/stronger it means more convenient.

Well, yes, until it does make a difference. Having a full set of legendary armor does not make it better than Ascended in terms of cumulative power, only in versatility, as you say. But regardless of which you have (legendary/ascended) they *both* share the spots at the top. Thankfully, they don't add too much, but they add enough to be significant.

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > @"Etria.3642" said:

> > > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > > > @"ugrakarma.9416" said:

> > > > its like 6 years? 10 years? avoiding the "power creep", i guess now its a time to have a power creep. increase the level cap, new armor tier etc to give some extra breath to this game.

> > >

> > > Given the amount of effort required for a set of legendary armor, and that many players have multiple sets, were ANET to introduce a new level cap and armor tier, say level 90, the community would have a collective apoplexy over realizing their LV 80 legendary gear would become obsolete.

> > >

> > > WoW does this with every expansion, but the effort required to get full Epic level, and even some Legendary gear, pales by comparison. Such a change would not work for GW2.

> >

> > OMG. I was about to say something else in response to this but what if they ARE going to increase things? Anything legendary would be automatically upgraded too--but if they added ascended runes/sigils that cost a lot to craft/remove then it might make the cost of the legendary runes/sigils more in line with expectations.

> >

> > In other words, I don't think anything legendary would become obsolete. I think anything /below/ that would.

>

> They're not going to increase the level cap or introduce a new gear level for upgrades or other gear. There would be a terrible revolt if they did.

Yeah, I don't see a way where level cap is increased without seeing LA and the other cities being burned to the ground in a manner of speaking....

> > @"Sigmoid.7082" said:

> > When it comes to equipment in GW2 legendary doesn't mean better/stronger it means more convenient.

>

> Well, yes, until it does make a difference. Having a full set of legendary armor does not make it better than Ascended in terms of cumulative power, only in versatility, as you say. But regardless of which you have (legendary/ascended) they *both* share the spots at the top. Thankfully, they don't add too much, but they add enough to be significant.

Right, a significant amount of convenience, not power as you're suggesting. Legendary is nothing but the top gear stat with/item rarity with the ability to swap stats.

> > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > > @"Etria.3642" said:

> > > > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > > > > @"ugrakarma.9416" said:

> > > > > its like 6 years? 10 years? avoiding the "power creep", i guess now its a time to have a power creep. increase the level cap, new armor tier etc to give some extra breath to this game.

> > > >

> > > > Given the amount of effort required for a set of legendary armor, and that many players have multiple sets, were ANET to introduce a new level cap and armor tier, say level 90, the community would have a collective apoplexy over realizing their LV 80 legendary gear would become obsolete.

> > > >

> > > > WoW does this with every expansion, but the effort required to get full Epic level, and even some Legendary gear, pales by comparison. Such a change would not work for GW2.

> > >

> > > OMG. I was about to say something else in response to this but what if they ARE going to increase things? Anything legendary would be automatically upgraded too--but if they added ascended runes/sigils that cost a lot to craft/remove then it might make the cost of the legendary runes/sigils more in line with expectations.

> > >

> > > In other words, I don't think anything legendary would become obsolete. I think anything /below/ that would.

> >

> > They're not going to increase the level cap or introduce a new gear level for upgrades or other gear. There would be a terrible revolt if they did.

>

> Yeah, I don't see a way where level cap is increased without seeing LA and the other cities being burned to the ground in a manner of speaking....

At least every profession would get a new weapon or two: main hand pitchfork and torch . ;)

> @"Sigmoid.7082" said:

> > > @"Sigmoid.7082" said:

> > > When it comes to equipment in GW2 legendary doesn't mean better/stronger it means more convenient.

> >

> > Well, yes, until it does make a difference. Having a full set of legendary armor does not make it better than Ascended in terms of cumulative power, only in versatility, as you say. But regardless of which you have (legendary/ascended) they *both* share the spots at the top. Thankfully, they don't add too much, but they add enough to be significant.

>

> Right, a significant amount of convenience, not power as you're suggesting. Legendary is nothing but the top gear stat with/item rarity with the ability to swap stats.

Is it fine then, to avoid the bump present between Exotic --> Ascended/Legendary in every other piece of gear? I feel I know your answer, but I don't like the inconsistency this creates.

> > > @"FrigginPaco.4178" said:

> > > > @"Sigmoid.7082" said:

> > > > When it comes to equipment in GW2 legendary doesn't mean better/stronger it means more convenient.

> > >

> > > Well, yes, until it does make a difference. Having a full set of legendary armor does not make it better than Ascended in terms of cumulative power, only in versatility, as you say. But regardless of which you have (legendary/ascended) they *both* share the spots at the top. Thankfully, they don't add too much, but they add enough to be significant.

> >

> > Right, a significant amount of convenience, not power as you're suggesting. Legendary is nothing but the top gear stat with/item rarity with the ability to swap stats.

>

> Is it fine then, to avoid the bump present between Exotic --> Ascended/Legendary in every other piece of gear? I feel I know your answer, but I don't like the inconsistency this creates.

Ascended runes don't exist. The highest tier of rune and sigil is exotic so the highest stats given by legendary runes and sigils is exotic. I don't see why this is so complicated. You're too focused on a tier of gear that doesnt exist for the slot as well as the function of legendary gear.

> @"Sigmoid.7082" said:

> > > @"Sigmoid.7082" said:

> > > > @"FrigginPaco.4178" said:

> > > > > @"Sigmoid.7082" said:

> > > > > When it comes to equipment in GW2 legendary doesn't mean better/stronger it means more convenient.

> > > >

> > > > Well, yes, until it does make a difference. Having a full set of legendary armor does not make it better than Ascended in terms of cumulative power, only in versatility, as you say. But regardless of which you have (legendary/ascended) they *both* share the spots at the top. Thankfully, they don't add too much, but they add enough to be significant.

> > >

> > > Right, a significant amount of convenience, not power as you're suggesting. Legendary is nothing but the top gear stat with/item rarity with the ability to swap stats.

> >

> > Is it fine then, to avoid the bump present between Exotic --> Ascended/Legendary in every other piece of gear? I feel I know your answer, but I don't like the inconsistency this creates.

>

> Ascended runes don't exist. The highest tier of rune and sigil is exotic so the highest stats given by legendary runes and sigils is exotic. I don't see why this is so complicated. You're too focused on a tier of gear that doesnt exist for the slot as well as the function of legendary gear.

But we both agree that in terms of power, there is no difference between Ascended and Legendary, do we not? So, even if there is no "Ascended" rune set in the game, the addition of a "Legendary" set basically serves as a single nomenclature for both. To me it's not complicated at all, I'm simply not convinced that the QoL aspects to these runes is a sufficient change to make people want to acquire them as they stand.

*Edit* I see your argument that since no ascended version exists, it would simply be relegated down to exotic, but that seems rather cheap (of them) to me.

> > @"Gop.8713" said:

> > I think OP has correctly identified the marginal relevance of any legendary item, but that doesn't seem to stop ppl from pursuing them . . .

>

> A QoL stat-selectable item without any other boost simply doesn't do it for me... giving it a "legendary" label/process to obtaining them is really just a formality where this is concerned. At least when I made a legendary weapon I could enjoy a bit of flash on top of it, even if I am glad they won't add to it.

Sure, there are lots of ppl who don't care for the grind. If we're exchanging personal anecdotes I played for years before bothering with the weapons and didn't get armor until you could get it from wvw for basically nothing. Extracting infusions and swapping stats on mist trinkets is so cheap and easy that the legendary versions seem totally pointless to me so I still haven't bothered with those . . .

But again, my preferences don't seem to impact how those items are valued by others . . .

> > > > > @"FrigginPaco.4178" said:

> > > > > > @"Sigmoid.7082" said:

> > > > > > When it comes to equipment in GW2 legendary doesn't mean better/stronger it means more convenient.

> > > > >

> > > > > Well, yes, until it does make a difference. Having a full set of legendary armor does not make it better than Ascended in terms of cumulative power, only in versatility, as you say. But regardless of which you have (legendary/ascended) they *both* share the spots at the top. Thankfully, they don't add too much, but they add enough to be significant.

> > > >

> > > > Right, a significant amount of convenience, not power as you're suggesting. Legendary is nothing but the top gear stat with/item rarity with the ability to swap stats.

> > >

> > > Is it fine then, to avoid the bump present between Exotic --> Ascended/Legendary in every other piece of gear? I feel I know your answer, but I don't like the inconsistency this creates.

> >

> > Ascended runes don't exist. The highest tier of rune and sigil is exotic so the highest stats given by legendary runes and sigils is exotic. I don't see why this is so complicated. You're too focused on a tier of gear that doesnt exist for the slot as well as the function of legendary gear.

>

> But we both agree that in terms of power, there is no difference between Ascended and Legendary, do we not? **So, even if there is no "Ascended" rune set in the game, the addition of a "Legendary" set basically serves as a single nomenclature for both.** To me it's not complicated at all, I'm simply not convinced that the QoL aspects to these runes is a sufficient change to make people want to acquire them as they stand.

Bold is where you are going wrong.

Legendary =/= Ascended

Legendary = Highest gear tier for slot but with added cosmetic / convenience

> > > > > @"FrigginPaco.4178" said:

> > > > > > @"Sigmoid.7082" said:

> > > > > > When it comes to equipment in GW2 legendary doesn't mean better/stronger it means more convenient.

> > > > >

> > > > > Well, yes, until it does make a difference. Having a full set of legendary armor does not make it better than Ascended in terms of cumulative power, only in versatility, as you say. But regardless of which you have (legendary/ascended) they *both* share the spots at the top. Thankfully, they don't add too much, but they add enough to be significant.

> > > >

> > > > Right, a significant amount of convenience, not power as you're suggesting. Legendary is nothing but the top gear stat with/item rarity with the ability to swap stats.

> > >

> > > Is it fine then, to avoid the bump present between Exotic --> Ascended/Legendary in every other piece of gear? I feel I know your answer, but I don't like the inconsistency this creates.

> >

> > Ascended runes don't exist. The highest tier of rune and sigil is exotic so the highest stats given by legendary runes and sigils is exotic. I don't see why this is so complicated. You're too focused on a tier of gear that doesnt exist for the slot as well as the function of legendary gear.

>

> But we both agree that in terms of power, there is no difference between Ascended and Legendary, do we not? So, even if there is no "Ascended" rune set in the game, the addition of a "Legendary" set basically serves as a single nomenclature for both. To me it's not complicated at all, I'm simply not convinced that the QoL aspects to these runes is a sufficient change to make people want to acquire them as they stand.

>

> *Edit* I see your argument that since no ascended version exists, it would simply be relegated down to exotic, but that seems rather cheap (of them) to me.

The point he is making is that Legendary was ALWAYS relegated to the highest current tier of gear. Ascended didn't exist at launch, but legendary weapons did. At the time Legendary weapons had exotic stats. They did not have ascended stats until ascended gear was released, but they will always have the same stats as the highest tier of whatever they are copying.