How does it make sense for a 7-year birthday gift to have LESS items than the 6-year birthday gifts?

Kovac.4372

There is no experience scroll this year. If you compare to last year, the character gift contains one victorious dye kit where last year's present contained one triumphant dye kit and a lvl 60 experience scroll (that a lot of people complained about being useless on top of all the lvl 20-30-40-50 scrolls the character got in previous years). Comparing to year five and previous, the year 7 character gift does contain an additional two black lion statuettes.

The 7th account birthday gift on the other hand contains all the gifts of the 6th birthday gift plus an additional novelty chair, so you could say the "number of items" evens out.

Whether or not "number of items" is a good way to judge the worth of a gift is another question entirely. I'm afraid whenever I see this kind of comparison the first thing I'm reminded of is [Dudley's birthday](https://www.pottermore.com/book-extract-long/dudleys-birthday "Dudley's birthday") from the first Harry Potter novel, where said Dudley throws a tantrum because he got "only" 36 gifts when he had 38 the year before. But then I personally prefer to see a gift as just that, something somebody has given to me without an obligation to do so.

Quality over quantity in my book

Last year you got an armor, this year you get... a rock ? Someone's been a naughty player methinks.

Joke aside, I quite like that rock, it's a creative way to use the chair system, same as the Inquest chair. I look forward to them doing more of these

> @"WhatLiesBeneath.9018" said:

> I dont understand why you'd even want one, they just take up yet another bank space, and I think thats why Anet quit adding more of them.

I keep making new characters and it's bothersome having to level them up ... it is pointless to gear them until lv80 ... so a lv70 boost is better then lv60, which is better than lv50 and so and so, as it reduces time between and I need to spend less Tomes of Knowledge to get to lv80.

We kinda saw this coming since there is a level 80 boost in the gem store. They need to keep that as relevant as possible I'd imagine. That's my guess as to why it was removed. As far as less gifts than previous years... they don't have to give us anything. I was extremely happy with what we recieved and hope they continue the tradition regardless of contents.

> @"Trise.2865" said:

> "Daddy, you gave me four presents last year and only three this year, don't you love me anymore?"

the only good part of the birthday for me were the scrolls ... that's why I saved a bunch of day-1 characters which I didn't need to get the account reward ...

I guess that's what happens when the forum is always full of people calling scrolls and tomes of knowledge 'useless', talking about how many they have and ways to use them up so they don't waste bank space but aren't just deleted.

If you know someone has way too many of a particular item and struggles to even know what to do with them all why would you get them another one as a birthday gift?

(I was a bit disappointed too, because I do use the scrolls and tomes, but I have enough saved up for at least 3 level 80's so it's not a big problem for me.)

> @"Super Hayes.6890" said:

> We kinda saw this coming since there is a level 80 boost in the gem store. They need to keep that as relevant as possible I'd imagine. That's my guess as to why it was removed. As far as less gifts than previous years... they don't have to give us anything. I was extremely happy with what we recieved and hope they continue the tradition regardless of contents.

I think players deserve a free 80 boost just for playing 6 to 8 years.. thats loyalty right there.

> @"robertgippy.1302" said:

> I don't see why you would want a experience scroll, especially if your 7 year peep is already a 80. Curious though if there are players that have a peep 7 years old and a level 20?

yes... 32 characters and still going.

they're extremely useful and a nice quality of life addition for someone like me who creates too many characters.

maybe scrolls could be tweaked to be additive. using a 30 and a 20 = 50 sort of thing.

> @"Kovac.4372" said:

> > @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > The 7th account birthday gift on the other hand contains all the gifts of the 6th birthday gift plus an additional novelty chair, so you could say the "number of items" evens out.

>

> What chair?

Check the [announcement](https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/seventh-anniversary-gifts-are-coming-soon/ "announcement") about the 7th birthday gifts, there's a picture (about half-way down the page) of it. It really is a "standing on a rock" pose, but it's a chair novelty in game.

Maybe make less characters? I don't think they completely want to remove the leveling by giving 70 and 80 scrollls so 60 was their limit I guess cause they wanted people to still do a bit of work - or use the tomes. Also with more and more chars I guess it will get easier once all of them get level 60 scrolls and no scrolls lower than that are needed. People starting with only a few chars where not all of them are old might need some lower level scrolls.

Personally I like normal leveling and I only saved the highest scrolls. (Level 60 I think. All with lover level deleted.) Too bad they can't be salvaged into tomes or other stuff though.

> @"SpyderArachnid.5619" said:

> Yeah I missed not getting an experience scroll as well. It is what honestly got me to buy extra character slots so I could use those scrolls for alts. So in the end, it was more money for Anet giving me those scrolls. Not sure why they didn't include it this year, but it is definitely missed.

The thing is: if you buy a character slot each time you get one of the birthday scrolls, you will quickly reach the limit. They do multiply like the mathematical rabbit. Year one birthday you get 5 scrolls, so buy 5 new character slots and fill them to use the scrolls. Year 2 birthday that's 10 scrolls already, do you buy another 10 slots to use those? If so, that makes it 20 scrolls at year 3, 40 at year 4 ... and by then you've alread run into the account limit on character slots, with 40 scrolls (5x40, 5x30, 30x20) on your hand and less than 30 additional character slots to buy. There is a limit to the madness.

Play fractals, PvP/WvW and you will be swimming in tomes of knowledge.

> @"Naxos.2503" said:

> Quality over quantity in my book

>

> Last year you got an armor, this year you get... a rock ? Someone's been a naughty player methinks.

>

> Joke aside, I quite like that rock, it's a creative way to use the chair system, same as the Inquest chair. I look forward to them doing more of these

The rock works in WvW, chairs don't.

> @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > @"SpyderArachnid.5619" said:

> > Yeah I missed not getting an experience scroll as well. It is what honestly got me to buy extra character slots so I could use those scrolls for alts. So in the end, it was more money for Anet giving me those scrolls. Not sure why they didn't include it this year, but it is definitely missed.

> The thing is: if you buy a character slot each time you get one of the birthday scrolls, you will quickly reach the limit. They do multiply like the mathematical rabbit. Year one birthday you get 5 scrolls, so buy 5 new character slots and fill them to use the scrolls. Year 2 birthday that's 10 scrolls already, do you buy another 10 slots to use those? If so, that makes it 20 scrolls at year 3, 40 at year 4 ... and by then you've alread run into the account limit on character slots, with 40 scrolls (5x40, 5x30, 30x20) on your hand and less than 30 additional character slots to buy. There is a limit to the madness.

Yeah that's a bit extreme lol. I didn't mean I was buying a character slot for every scroll I got. It just gave me incentives to make alts cause I could skip some levels, so I bought some character slots to make alts and use those scrolls. Honestly if I never got those scrolls, I wouldn't have all the alts I have now or bought all those character slots that I did. The scrolls just gave me incentives to buy character slots to use the scrolls.

But yeah, I didn't buy one for each scroll I got. :P

> @"SpyderArachnid.5619" said:

> > @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > > @"SpyderArachnid.5619" said:

> > > Yeah I missed not getting an experience scroll as well. It is what honestly got me to buy extra character slots so I could use those scrolls for alts. So in the end, it was more money for Anet giving me those scrolls. Not sure why they didn't include it this year, but it is definitely missed.

> > The thing is: if you buy a character slot each time you get one of the birthday scrolls, you will quickly reach the limit. They do multiply like the mathematical rabbit. Year one birthday you get 5 scrolls, so buy 5 new character slots and fill them to use the scrolls. Year 2 birthday that's 10 scrolls already, do you buy another 10 slots to use those? If so, that makes it 20 scrolls at year 3, 40 at year 4 ... and by then you've alread run into the account limit on character slots, with 40 scrolls (5x40, 5x30, 30x20) on your hand and less than 30 additional character slots to buy. There is a limit to the madness.

>

> Yeah that's a bit extreme lol. I didn't mean I was buying a character slot for every scroll I got. It just gave me incentives to make alts cause I could skip some levels, so I bought some character slots to make alts and use those scrolls. Honestly if I never got those scrolls, I wouldn't have all the alts I have now or bought all those character slots that I did. The scrolls just gave me incentives to buy character slots to use the scrolls.

>

> But yeah, I didn't buy one for each scroll I got. :P

Good :) . I was starting to fear for your sanity (or your math skills ;) ). Thing is though, we do get 6 scrolls out of each character over the years, so most people do infact have a lot more scrolls than they will ever use. Personally I don't mind either way, being a pack-rat and altoholic I have a mule dedicated to look after those six stacks of scrolls on the off-chance that I try my hand at key-running again (and fail again ... I think in 7 years I have managed to create two or three "key-runners" that didn't see their first birthday ... most have ended up becoming permanent characters ;) ), but if I'm honest with myself those scrolls have stopped being valuable to me a long time ago, and I suspect that the same goes for a large part of the playerbase.

> @"Infusion.7149" said:

> Play fractals, PvP/WvW and you will be swimming in tomes of knowledge.

> > @"Naxos.2503" said:

> > Quality over quantity in my book

> >

> > Last year you got an armor, this year you get... a rock ? Someone's been a naughty player methinks.

> >

> > Joke aside, I quite like that rock, it's a creative way to use the chair system, same as the Inquest chair. I look forward to them doing more of these

>

> The rock works in WvW, chairs don't.

>

It also works in dungeons, and I bet in other instances yus. Hence why I find it quite interesting, I hope they keep up the trend.