Would you pay for a new e-spec?

Yes ... without question. Even if it wasn't attached to any new content or quest or anything.

Given that there are already 2 especs and core, it would be 75% unlikely the new espec released would be P2W (not like that makes sense to claim strong especs are p2W in the first place ... you didn't have a problem with that in the last two offerings and the chance was higher they were stronger)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Regh.8649" said:

> People said the same about build templates… behold

But build templates are a convenience, a quality of life improvement - not a new skill. Skills, mounts, and I think builds, should be part of expansions. You pay for them, but with tons of new content. I am surprised we are getting them without an expansion (and the 3 free are more than enough for me).

Pay for a new elite spec? No freaking way. That would be simply pay to win... and turn this into League of Legends :)

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> I probably would buy (depends if it looks like a fun way for me to play that profession) although I would appreciate a trial unlock, perhaps in PvP or on one PvE map, to check it out first. And it should be at a reasonable price, that is, a small fraction of an expansion price as it’s a small fraction of an expansion.

So 5 bucks for all?

Seriously just the thought of it is ridiculous

> @"Arzurag.7506" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > I probably would buy (depends if it looks like a fun way for me to play that profession) although I would appreciate a trial unlock, perhaps in PvP or on one PvE map, to check it out first. And it should be at a reasonable price, that is, a small fraction of an expansion price as it’s a small fraction of an expansion.

>

> So 5 bucks for all?

> Seriously just the thought of it is ridiculous

In what way?

We did not get the other ESpecs for free. We paid for them as part of a bundle (Expansion plus ESpecs). If ANet was going to give away more ESpecs for free then of course that would be great, but I don’t think they will. If ANet isn’t going to make any more formal expansions with its accompanying ESpecs then why not have the opportunity to buy this part of an expansion?

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > @"Arzurag.7506" said:

> > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > I probably would buy (depends if it looks like a fun way for me to play that profession) although I would appreciate a trial unlock, perhaps in PvP or on one PvE map, to check it out first. And it should be at a reasonable price, that is, a small fraction of an expansion price as it’s a small fraction of an expansion.

> >

> > So 5 bucks for all?

> > Seriously just the thought of it is ridiculous

>

> In what way?

>

> We did not get the other ESpecs for free. We paid for them as part of a bundle (Expansion plus ESpecs). If ANet was going to give away more ESpecs for free then of course that would be great, but I don’t think they will. If ANet isn’t going to make any more formal expansions with its accompanying ESpecs then why not have the opportunity to buy this part of an expansion?

That would be reasonable. Of course, the pricing model anet is going for practically guarantees that you will pay way, way more than just a fraction of expansion price (more like _several times_ the expansion price).

I would under a few stipulations and if these stipulations are not met then no i would not because it means things are doomed to fail.

- 1 new elites are banned from pvp matchs and wvw for a set time after their release so its not an immediate crisis this allows time for bug fixing and skill abuse fixing.

- 2 if each profession does not get a new one at the same time then any new specs should be banned from pvp matches or wvw until all professions catch up.

- 3 it depends on the cost if its only an elite spec and there is no real content behind it it needs to be kinda reasonable.

- 4 The content of the elite specs needs to be done properly, no short cutting animations or making one race look goofy when they use a certain skill etc.

With a game like gw2 I personally dont think we as players are entitled to every new features for free how ever i do think we as the customers and clients are entitled to a few things that said

- yes, its nice to get features for free every once in a while

- no, we should not simply get every new feature for free even more so if its a luxury feature (aka you can live without it just fine as you can with it)

- yes, content should be delivered properly and with quality control in line. (even more so if its requires a customer to pay for it)

^^^

That last one is probably the biggest point for me because that new charr chair is unacceptable, content cannot be delivered like this it shows lack of attention to detail and that the thought/work process is not being checked and managed properly

My mind goes back to "We are going to focus on the Norn and the Charr races" ,**Releases Charr culture chair** that does not fit a charr properly.

Anet seems to be on thin ice with alot of people as it is. Granted i dont feel like build templates should be a big issue but (its not for me) but still

The balance patch

Disgraceful charr chair

2 negatives out of 3 has me feeling some kind of way.

Lets just hope anet does not throw out news of selling new elite specs right now i dont think a majority vet players can handle that right now.

> @"ZDragon.3046" said:

> - 3 it depends on the cost if its only an elite spec and there is no real content behind it it needs to be kinda reasonable.

What _is_ reasonable? Last time i saw you were trying to persuade me that 500 euro/USD for something offering far less advantage and having even less content behind it is reasonable, so i would guess at least twice that would be okay for an espec, right?

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"ZDragon.3046" said:

> > - 3 it depends on the cost if its only an elite spec and there is no real content behind it it needs to be kinda reasonable.

> What _is_ reasonable? Last time i saw you were trying to persuade me that 500 euro/USD for something offering far less advantage and having even less content behind it is reasonable, so i would guess at least twice that would be okay for an espec, right?

Ok first off dont put words in my mouth i didnt tell you to spend or that you should spend 500 euro / USD you assumed a price based the idea of buying every thing at once on unconfirmed numbers (the worst case situation if anything)

A reasonable cost coud be anything from 800-1600 or 10-20$ (assuming the content for sale is made properly)

No one wants to pay full price for broken or damage goods.

Another thing to consider would be how often new elites would be added to the game and if they would remain at the same cost as previous elites even if the previous elites were nerfed to make room fo the new ones.

For me 10-15$ per spec, is not much at all. Thats eating in for lunch 1 or 2 days instead of going out with coworkers.

Now if you dont work your perception of this could be drastically different from mine.

If you dont like the elite spec being offered you might not consider it to be worth that much. (i am not immune to this) i would probably not pay 10-15$ for an engi. elite spec cause rarely play any of the current ones as is engi as a whole just does not interest me.

As i said though THEY NEED TO BE DONE RIGHT we cant have elites that are sold with skills that are broken (not in the op sense) broken as in they just dont do what they are suppose to do. Or are animated poorly or animations are bugged on certain races (its happened in the past) etc.

> @"ZDragon.3046" said:

> > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > @"ZDragon.3046" said:

> > > - 3 it depends on the cost if its only an elite spec and there is no real content behind it it needs to be kinda reasonable.

> > What _is_ reasonable? Last time i saw you were trying to persuade me that 500 euro/USD for something offering far less advantage and having even less content behind it is reasonable, so i would guess at least twice that would be okay for an espec, right?

>

> Ok first off dont put words in my mouth i didnt tell you to spend or that you should spend 500 euro / USD you assumed a price based the idea of buying every thing at once on unconfirmed numbers (the worst case situation if anything) \

I actually went with the lowest of the costs they were discussing in the stream. With 400 gems per unlock, not 800. So yeah, definitely the worst case...

>

> A reasonable cost coud be anything from 800-1600 or 10-20$ (assuming the content for sale is made properly)

So, a reasonable piece for one espec is just double-triple the (reasonable, according to you) cost of a single template unlock? Seriously?

> @"Dami.5046" said:

> Pay for a new E-spec are you kidding me? You mean if they were to do that, then there would be posts complaining it shouldn't be behind a pay wall. Not seen that before have we?

>

People are used to them being behind a paywall of sorts -- just, snuggled nice and comfy in a big bundle of content and features, not naked and exposed with a direct price tag attached.

> > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > @"ZDragon.3046" said:

> > > > - 3 it depends on the cost if its only an elite spec and there is no real content behind it it needs to be kinda reasonable.

> > > What _is_ reasonable? Last time i saw you were trying to persuade me that 500 euro/USD for something offering far less advantage and having even less content behind it is reasonable, so i would guess at least twice that would be okay for an espec, right?

> >

> > Ok first off dont put words in my mouth i didnt tell you to spend or that you should spend 500 euro / USD you assumed a price based the idea of buying every thing at once on unconfirmed numbers (the worst case situation if anything) \

> I actually went with the lowest of the costs they were discussing in the stream. With 400 gems per unlock, not 800. So yeah, definitely the worst case...

This is still not confirmed for all we know the price of some of this stuff could be 120 gems its a non visual luxury feature that no one will know you own unless you flaunt it around. You also still assumed on the idea of buying max allowed slots all at once which is probably something most people will not do. We dont know the prices so lets move on.

>

> >

> > A reasonable cost coud be anything from 800-1600 or 10-20$ (assuming the content for sale is made properly)

> So, a reasonable piece for one espec is just double-triple the (reasonable, according to you) cost of a single template unlock? Seriously?

Yes Seriously? A new elite spec in gw2 is = to a new character or class in any other game.

Depending on what games you play bonus new characters or classes generally will cost you money even if they stand alone sellers.

Me: **looks at other games**

Other games **charging 10+ usd for a single new character or class that does the same role as another character or class with a different play style**

Me **looks at other people who happily pay for such things**

Me **sees new character or new class i like that does the same role as another character/class but with new mechanics and different play style**

Me **happily pays money to own and enjoy that character or class**

Yes i have come to the conclusion that this could be reasonable price in my personal opinion.

You dont have to agree but you are certainly not entitled to think you should get it for free. IF you are offered it for free than congrats because the idea that this cant happen is not impossible but you should be humble to some extent.

IF something is being offered that you really like/want at a general reasonable price you will pay to get it. If you dont think the price is reasonable then it means that

- 1 you cant afford it at the moment and should save or wait for a sale promotion

- 2 you do not want the offered items as badly as you initially thought and have decided you can do without

- 3 you might be over entitled (i assume its one of the first two though)

Edit: You should not even compare this to part to build template cost

An elite spec which is something that has a direct impact on the environment and game modes in which you play it is not the same as a "Nice to have feature" that wont have an obvious impact on the environment and game modes in which it might be used.

You visibly see and react to how elite specs differ as i said above no one will know you are using a build templet or see how many you own unless you flaunt them. I notice when some one swaps from tempest to weaver while doing riads, i dont notice if the person used arc "build templet to do it" The price points on things like this should be night and day.

What even gets me more is how people think extra 400 gem slots or templets are too much as nice to haves but own (in some cases multiple) 1000 gem mining, logging, and harvesting tools which are essentially almost the same luxury concept. "Nice to have but not required"

> @"perilisk.1874" said:

>Would you pay for a new e-spec?

No. Given the damage e-specs have done to this game's many modes paying Anet for another one in spite of this knowledge would be the same as going up to a wino or a drug addict, handing them a blank cheque, and then saying, 'I better not see you spending this on food.'

> @"ZDragon.3046" said:

> > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > @"ZDragon.3046" said:

> > > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > > @"ZDragon.3046" said:

> > > > > - 3 it depends on the cost if its only an elite spec and there is no real content behind it it needs to be kinda reasonable.

> > > > What _is_ reasonable? Last time i saw you were trying to persuade me that 500 euro/USD for something offering far less advantage and having even less content behind it is reasonable, so i would guess at least twice that would be okay for an espec, right?

> > >

> > > Ok first off dont put words in my mouth i didnt tell you to spend or that you should spend 500 euro / USD you assumed a price based the idea of buying every thing at once on unconfirmed numbers (the worst case situation if anything) \

> > I actually went with the lowest of the costs they were discussing in the stream. With 400 gems per unlock, not 800. So yeah, definitely the worst case...

> This is still not confirmed for all we know the price of some of this stuff could be 120 gems its a non visual luxury feature that no one will know you own unless you flaunt it around.

You probably missed the point where they repeatedly mentioned that they consider the slots to be worth as much as bag slots/bank tabs. That's where the 400-800 gems range comes from. If they haven't mentioned prices, it's only because they're still not sure at which end of that range they should price them.

> Yes Seriously? A new elite spec in gw2 is = to a new character or class in any other game.

> Depending on what games you play bonus new characters or classes generally will cost you money even if they stand alone sellers.

Is a new class in another game worth only 3 times the price of a single template slot? I am not doubtful at the price you arrived at. I am doubtful at the relative price between those things. Because it can only mean that either the class is way too cheap, or that the template slot is way overpriced. I'll let you decide which would be in this case.

> @"ZDragon.3046" said:

> What even gets me more is how people think extra 400 gem slots or templets are too much as nice to haves but own (in some cases multiple) 1000 gem mining, logging, and harvesting tools which are essentially almost the same luxury concept. "Nice to have but not required"

especs are also not required, you know.

At this point i am more and more certain, that you price especs relatively cheaply because it's something you want, and are okay with extraorbitant template slot prices, because you _don't_ want them.

> @"perilisk.1874" said:

> 1. Would you be willing to pay outright for an e-spec?

> 2. Would you be concerned that it could introduce a genuine P2W element to the game if the new e-spec starts off a bit OP?

> 3. Would it make a difference to you whether they were sold one by one, or in a pack of all nine?

> 4. Would it make a difference if some professions received new ones before others?

> 5. How many gems would you pay for one e-spec? How many for a full set?

1. Sure: I would pay for an expansion, which includes elite specs. ...If they said there would be no more expansions, but they'd sell elite specs alone, I'd have to consider whether it's worth staying with the game. Expansions offer so much content that the price for just elite specs would have to be pretty low. So I'd question why they'd even do it.

2. Comes with expansion: No. Doesn't come with expansion: **Yes**.

3. Should come with a pack of all classes (with the expansion). Selling separately, one by one, just adds insult to insult.

4. Yes. This would always be bad.

5. 100 gems - 1 e-spec, 800 gems - full set ...would expect this to go on sale for less at the start and during anniversary sales.

It would be better for them to sell an expansion, since I'd likely be willing to buy the most overpriced version that comes with discounted gems and various junk.

> > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > @"ZDragon.3046" said:

> > > > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > > > @"ZDragon.3046" said:

> > > > > > - 3 it depends on the cost if its only an elite spec and there is no real content behind it it needs to be kinda reasonable.

> > > > > What _is_ reasonable? Last time i saw you were trying to persuade me that 500 euro/USD for something offering far less advantage and having even less content behind it is reasonable, so i would guess at least twice that would be okay for an espec, right?

> > > >

> > > > Ok first off dont put words in my mouth i didnt tell you to spend or that you should spend 500 euro / USD you assumed a price based the idea of buying every thing at once on unconfirmed numbers (the worst case situation if anything) \

> > > I actually went with the lowest of the costs they were discussing in the stream. With 400 gems per unlock, not 800. So yeah, definitely the worst case...

> > This is still not confirmed for all we know the price of some of this stuff could be 120 gems its a non visual luxury feature that no one will know you own unless you flaunt it around.

> You probably missed the point where they repeatedly mentioned that they consider the slots to be worth as much as bag slots/bank tabs. That's where the 400-800 gems range comes from. If they haven't mentioned prices, it's only because they're still not sure at which end of that range they should price them.

thats for the equipment tab slots only because those do function as bag slots basically i would assume

Tabs that hold your traits... probably not

Tabs that hold your builds account wide... probably not

Wait and see you are now going way off topic

>

> > Yes Seriously? A new elite spec in gw2 is = to a new character or class in any other game.

> > Depending on what games you play bonus new characters or classes generally will cost you money even if they stand alone sellers.

> Is a new class in another game worth only 3 times the price of a single template slot? I am not doubtful at the price you arrived at. I am doubtful at the relative price between those things. Because it can only mean that either the class is way too cheap, or that the template slot is way overpriced. I'll let you decide which would be in this case.

Off topic

The question was would you pay for an elite spec **"ok"**

You then asked me what i thought they would be worth **"ok"**

Compares what i think it will be worth and compares it to unconfirmed build template price **"way off topic"**

i wont carry this any further so long as you keep derailing the topic of this particular post

>

> > What even gets me more is how people think extra 400 gem slots or templets are too much as nice to haves but own (in some cases multiple) 1000 gem mining, logging, and harvesting tools which are essentially almost the same luxury concept. "Nice to have but not required"

> especs are also not required, you know.

This is a True statement how ever an elite spec has more impact than the things you are comparing to it.

You have to remember there are people who bought HoT and PoF specifically for the elites, there are people who do not care about pve story and there are pvp and wvw mains who use the elites and bought the x packs specifically for the elites. Elites have always been a major selling point as 33% of the overall package.

So lets take 30-50$ ( roughly the cost of a fresh xpack) the price i think, now take 33% of that price tag

thats roughly 10$ to 15$ and this is assuming anet is nice and offers them as one bundle. (still potentially cheaper than a single perma gathering tool that will see much more use than a gathering tool.)

In the event they are sold separate or dont release all at the same time you could buy multiple elites for possibly less than single set of perma gathering tools still!.

Elite specs usable in all 3 game modes without question.

Gathering tools mainly used in pve and to a lesser extent in wvw.

IF you dont agree that you wouldn't pay x amount of $ for new elites thats your choice and you have a right to feel that way but i do realize even through anets makes bad mistakes or choices from time to time they are still living people who need to pay bills and provide for their families like we do. The servers dont stay up for free and we dont pay a sub fee.