Are Macros allowed to use Build and Equipment Templates Simultaneously?

Now build templates are a thing, I'd like to assign a set of macros to swap between equipment templates and build templates simultaneously with one button. So button 1 would activate build template 1 and equipment template 1, button 2 would activate build template 2 and equipment template 2 etc. The idea is simply to reduce the number of hotkeys needed when swapping between builds, the macros would do nothing else besides this. Would this be allowed or disallowed?

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> One click is one action, so no.

> I don't see any harm in it, and you might be low on the radar. But its still against their ToS

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/65554/policy-macros-and-macro-use#latest

^ This is what I'm referring to. They allow the use of jump & dodge bound to one key, which is two actions, and they state that "Attended macro use is permitted as long as it is not exploitative, and as long as it does not provide the user with an unfair advantage over other players. Unattended macro use is prohibited under any circumstances."

I'm pretty sure that what I want to do is not exploitative, but I'm unsure whether it would be considered to confer an unfair advantage when talking about WvW specifically. The question only comes up because of the added functionality of build templates, but I'd like a clear yes or no from a dev before I decide to use them.

> @"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:

> > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > One click is one action, so no.

> > I don't see any harm in it, and you might be low on the radar. But its still against their ToS

>

> https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/65554/policy-macros-and-macro-use#latest

> ^ This is what I'm referring to. They allow the use of jump & dodge bound to one key, which is two actions, and they state that "Attended macro use is permitted as long as it is not exploitative, and as long as it does not provide the user with an unfair advantage over other players. Unattended macro use is prohibited under any circumstances."

>

> I'm pretty sure that what I want to do is not exploitative, but I'm unsure whether it would be considered to confer an unfair advantage when talking about WvW specifically. The question only comes up because of the added functionality of build templates, but I'd like a clear yes or no from a dev before I decide to use them.

Yea, it's a grey line there.

That's why i said you'd be low on the radar.

But it surprises me that they ever says anything was really okay. I'd say combining 2 templates is no more exploitative than dodge jumping which gives an actual tangible advantage in SAB.

In WvW you might you have an advantage as you can swap builds faster than anyone else, even if its no more than a 1 second advantage.

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > @"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:

> > > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > One click is one action, so no.

> > > I don't see any harm in it, and you might be low on the radar. But its still against their ToS

> >

> > https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/65554/policy-macros-and-macro-use#latest

> > ^ This is what I'm referring to. They allow the use of jump & dodge bound to one key, which is two actions, and they state that "Attended macro use is permitted as long as it is not exploitative, and as long as it does not provide the user with an unfair advantage over other players. Unattended macro use is prohibited under any circumstances."

> >

> > I'm pretty sure that what I want to do is not exploitative, but I'm unsure whether it would be considered to confer an unfair advantage when talking about WvW specifically. The question only comes up because of the added functionality of build templates, but I'd like a clear yes or no from a dev before I decide to use them.

>

> Yea, it's a grey line there.

> That's why i said you'd be low on the radar.

> But it surprises me that they ever says anything was really okay. I'd say combining 2 templates is no more exploitative than dodge jumping which gives an actual tangible advantage in SAB.

>

> In WvW you might you have an advantage as you can swap builds faster than anyone else, even if its no more than a 1 second advantage.

That's the thing. I don't use any macros currently as they're not really needed if you do your keybinds well. It's simply the way they've split a build into equipment and traits requiring two seperate hotkeys that is driving this, but I don't want to risk my account for the sake of being lazy.

> @"EagleDelta.4726" said:

> What does this mean for gaming keyboards and mice that can have "macros" built into them? Are there some features of gaming peripherals that isn't allowed?

Same thing it always has. If you map a keyboard key to a mouse button, it's still one click one action. If you map a series of keyboard keys to one mouse button, it's one click many actions and is forbidden.

> @"EagleDelta.4726" said:

> It seems like ANet may be overstepping their bounds by telling users what their legitimate games hardware can/can't do, but that's just me

Thanks guy. Now I'm waiting for the day Anet announces one day that they forbid having more than 60 FPS because "not everyone can overclock. Unfair advantage. BAN!!!!!".

> @"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:

> > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > @"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:

> > > > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > > One click is one action, so no.

> > > > I don't see any harm in it, and you might be low on the radar. But its still against their ToS

> > >

> > > https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/65554/policy-macros-and-macro-use#latest

> > > ^ This is what I'm referring to. They allow the use of jump & dodge bound to one key, which is two actions, and they state that "Attended macro use is permitted as long as it is not exploitative, and as long as it does not provide the user with an unfair advantage over other players. Unattended macro use is prohibited under any circumstances."

> > >

> > > I'm pretty sure that what I want to do is not exploitative, but I'm unsure whether it would be considered to confer an unfair advantage when talking about WvW specifically. The question only comes up because of the added functionality of build templates, but I'd like a clear yes or no from a dev before I decide to use them.

> >

> > Yea, it's a grey line there.

> > That's why i said you'd be low on the radar.

> > But it surprises me that they ever says anything was really okay. I'd say combining 2 templates is no more exploitative than dodge jumping which gives an actual tangible advantage in SAB.

> >

> > In WvW you might you have an advantage as you can swap builds faster than anyone else, even if its no more than a 1 second advantage.

>

> That's the thing. I don't use any macros currently as they're not really needed if you do your keybinds well. It's simply the way they've split a build into equipment and traits requiring two seperate hotkeys that is driving this, but I don't want to risk my account for the sake of being lazy.

that said. You need to stand still and be out of combat for it to work, right?

that means, even with a macro, you'd be vulnerable in WvW. So maybe it's not that much of an advantage.

My only concern with the macro is, it has a 1-1.5 second channel time. however short. Which means can you do both at the same time, or do they automatically follow one another?

In case of the first it's a clear exploit. In case of the second, it's no more benefit than someone just smashing the hotkey button on the cooldown

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > @"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:

> > > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > > @"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:

> > > > > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > > > One click is one action, so no.

> > > > > I don't see any harm in it, and you might be low on the radar. But its still against their ToS

> > > >

> > > > https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/65554/policy-macros-and-macro-use#latest

> > > > ^ This is what I'm referring to. They allow the use of jump & dodge bound to one key, which is two actions, and they state that "Attended macro use is permitted as long as it is not exploitative, and as long as it does not provide the user with an unfair advantage over other players. Unattended macro use is prohibited under any circumstances."

> > > >

> > > > I'm pretty sure that what I want to do is not exploitative, but I'm unsure whether it would be considered to confer an unfair advantage when talking about WvW specifically. The question only comes up because of the added functionality of build templates, but I'd like a clear yes or no from a dev before I decide to use them.

> > >

> > > Yea, it's a grey line there.

> > > That's why i said you'd be low on the radar.

> > > But it surprises me that they ever says anything was really okay. I'd say combining 2 templates is no more exploitative than dodge jumping which gives an actual tangible advantage in SAB.

> > >

> > > In WvW you might you have an advantage as you can swap builds faster than anyone else, even if its no more than a 1 second advantage.

> >

> > That's the thing. I don't use any macros currently as they're not really needed if you do your keybinds well. It's simply the way they've split a build into equipment and traits requiring two seperate hotkeys that is driving this, but I don't want to risk my account for the sake of being lazy.

>

> that said. You need to stand still and be out of combat for it to work, right?

> that means, even with a macro, you'd be vulnerable in WvW. So maybe it's not that much of an advantage.

> My only concern with the macro is, it has a 1-1.5 second channel time. however short. Which means can you do both at the same time, or do they automatically follow one another?

> In case of the first it's a clear exploit. In case of the second, it's no more benefit than someone just smashing the hotkey button on the cooldown

At the moment I have my first build's traits and equipment bound to F1 and F2, my second build to F3 and F4 etc up to F8 (4 builds total). I mash those buttons simultaneously, so a macro would literally only be saving me buttons in the long run.