Gw2 need some good cinematic

Hoover.6394

> @"Xar.6279" said:

> > @"ugrakarma.9416" said:

> > apples and oranges,....,

> > errrr Blizzard is older game company with huge financial assets, it can afford a entire movie if they think worth it.

>

> This argument is repeated from time to time. And its horrible.

> And its looking for excuses rather than trying to improve.

>

> It no matter if they are bigger or older that much. Its all about passion.

> There's some much younger companies than ArenaNet which can compete with Blizzard nowadays.

> While ArenaNet can't.

> Blizzard wasnt always big, old and rich. And they don't become rich just like that. It requires a lot of work.

> They made hight quality products even when they was small.

>

>

Budget has nothing to do with passion. Budget is budget. Two people with substantially different budgets set out to build a house. No matter how much passion you have, you still have to stay within your budget...or you're going to lose your house. Do you know what that cinematic adds to the game? Nothing. It made you excited for five minutes. My wife personally hates them, because they're not actually showing game play. You're getting excited is you being tricked by a cinematic that is nothing more than an advertisement. I'm an old guy and I don't get excited by cinematics at all anymore, because I know how deceiving they could be.

I'd rather see in game footage than any type of cinematic, moving forward. If you have a passion for your game, show your game, not some unrelated cinematic that has nothing to do with gameplay.

> @"Hoover.6394" said:

> Just watched wow’s new cinematic, the shadowland, it wowed me! I feel Gw2 need some thing like that level to get new players, what u guys think?

Well.. the WoW new cinematic is mediocre. Plus it advertises WoW a new expansion. What will a cinematic advertise for GW2? The saga? It surely is not worth and will not generate an influx of new players.

If such money is to be spent, it should be spent on developing content. The game is currently pretty starved.

Cinematics, particularly pre-rendered cinematics, are massively expensive and without a doubt the least cost-effective part of developing a video game. Blizzard has an in-house department that does rendered cinematics for their games, which would not be cheap to run.

It's only possible for them to do that because they make enough big games they can keep those guys busy without having to outsource. If ANet was going to get FMVs done for GW2, they'd have to outsource. I'm not exactly sure what prices are like in the US, but having worked on a fully-rendered 30 second TVC 10 years ago with a budget equivalent to around $700k USD, I'd be surprised if it would be possible to get passable work in the US today (where 3D artists are better paid) for less than $1 million USD per cinematic. I suspect the true figure might be closer to $5 million.

Quite a lot of money to make up in gem sales.

> @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > @"Xar.6279" said:

> > > @"ugrakarma.9416" said:

> > > apples and oranges,....,

> > > errrr Blizzard is older game company with huge financial assets, it can afford a entire movie if they think worth it.

> >

> > This argument is repeated from time to time. And its horrible.

> > And its looking for excuses rather than trying to improve.

> >

> > It no matter if they are bigger or older that much. Its all about passion.

> > There's some much younger companies than ArenaNet which can compete with Blizzard nowadays.

> > While ArenaNet can't.

> > Blizzard wasnt always big, old and rich. And they don't become rich just like that. It requires a lot of work.

> > They made hight quality products even when they was small.

> >

> >

>

> Budget has nothing to do with passion. Budget is budget. Two people with substantially different budgets set out to build a house. No matter how much passion you have, you still have to stay within your budget...or you're going to lose your house. Do you know what that cinematic adds to the game? Nothing. It made you excited for five minutes. My wife personally hates them, because they're not actually showing game play. You're getting excited is you being tricked by a cinematic that is nothing more than an advertisement. I'm an old guy and I don't get excited by cinematics at all anymore, because I know how deceiving they could be.

>

> I'd rather see in game footage than any type of cinematic, moving forward. If you have a passion for your game, show your game, not some unrelated cinematic that has nothing to do with gameplay.

Imo cinematics and cutscenes are very important for the game. Both. It makes some universe much stronger. Usually there's already enough real gameplay in games. So you don't need to see it in cinematics/cutscenes too. Those have to show you something more. Show something what's impossible to show in the actual game. Story is much better with cutscenes / cinematics because it improves immersion. And helps your imagination.

For example. Im big fan of Final Fatasy 9. And those cinematics / cutscenes were completly different than actual gameplay. And that's why it was so great. Because devs were able to show something more. What's impossible to show in game. And you know what? Cutscenes did the main job. After years almost all I remember are those cutscenes and I like to come back to them. Im pretty sure that w/o these cutscenes game would'nt be that great at all. Pure gameplay isn't enough.

> @"Xar.6279" said:

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > @"Xar.6279" said:

> > > > @"ugrakarma.9416" said:

> > > > apples and oranges,....,

> > > > errrr Blizzard is older game company with huge financial assets, it can afford a entire movie if they think worth it.

> > >

> > > This argument is repeated from time to time. And its horrible.

> > > And its looking for excuses rather than trying to improve.

> > >

> > > It no matter if they are bigger or older that much. Its all about passion.

> > > There's some much younger companies than ArenaNet which can compete with Blizzard nowadays.

> > > While ArenaNet can't.

> > > Blizzard wasnt always big, old and rich. And they don't become rich just like that. It requires a lot of work.

> > > They made hight quality products even when they was small.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Budget has nothing to do with passion. Budget is budget. Two people with substantially different budgets set out to build a house. No matter how much passion you have, you still have to stay within your budget...or you're going to lose your house. Do you know what that cinematic adds to the game? Nothing. It made you excited for five minutes. My wife personally hates them, because they're not actually showing game play. You're getting excited is you being tricked by a cinematic that is nothing more than an advertisement. I'm an old guy and I don't get excited by cinematics at all anymore, because I know how deceiving they could be.

> >

> > I'd rather see in game footage than any type of cinematic, moving forward. If you have a passion for your game, show your game, not some unrelated cinematic that has nothing to do with gameplay.

>

> Imo cinematics and cutscenes are very important for the game. Both. It makes some universe much stronger. Usually there's already enough real gameplay in games. So you don't need to see it in cinematics/cutscenes too. Those have to show you something more. Show something what's impossible to show in the actual game. Story is much better with cutscenes / cinematics because it improves immersion. And helps your imagination.

>

> For example. Im big fan of Final Fatasy 9. And those cinematics / cutscenes were completly different than actual gameplay. And that's why it was so great. Because devs were able to show something more. What's impossible to show in game. And you know what? Cutscenes did the main job. After years almost all I remember are those cutscenes and I like to come back to them. Im pretty sure that w/o these cutscenes game would'nt be that great at all. Pure gameplay isn't enough.

We're not talking about stuff in game though. We're talking about a trailer that's not in game. That's a completely different story to me.

Shadowlands cinematic is on the same level as any other cinematic of WoW since Wrath of the Lich King - when Terran Gregory took over the cinematic lead.

Anyway GW2 was never really about cinematics and facial expressions and all those kind of stuff until Season 4, the focus was on dialogues and voices themselves.

It changed with Season 4 totally, GW2 is "WoWing" itself. I noticed that with the focus on facial expressions in the cinematics like Joko one.

And also GW2 is following the steps of WoW with lovecraftian style - and so the music in the later parts of Bound by Blood indicates towards.

I feel like they will really focus on fractals and raids now.

Also I love how they respect the music.

Bound by Blood had a soundtrack over 40 minutes long, one episode of Season 4 had 15-20 max.

Grothmar theme has Three Renditions with totally different styles.

I am not saying GW2 will feel like WoW, but they will use good, old ways that make MMORPG an MMORPG

Since someone already posted them here: This GW1 cinematic trailers are exactly the reason why they don't do them anymore. Like, it's not that they didn't try that approach before. It's just they figured it wasn't worth the investment and the difference between the cinematic and in-game look was just too big so instead they wanted to show off what the game was actually like starting with Nightfall.

And personally I prefer their current stylized approach. I love the art direction of the game and showing it off in trailers is wonderful. They should keep doing what they do now.

> @"miraude.2107" said:

> I watched the new WoW cinematic too and it bored me right out. At first it was yes they are finally expanding on Bolvar being the Lich King which immediately went oh, Mary Sue Sylvanas Thrall/Garrosh 'It was merely a setback' 2.0 again. Let's retcon the established lore even more to fit with the current 'plot'.

> Honestly I loved the Bug in the System trailer but these two vids are my freaking favorite and I'd hope Anet takes notice and tries this.

> Honestly those kind of trailers makes me wish this game had more people making gmvs/etc for it on youtube and that.

>

Speaking of fan vids I'm particularly fond of this one:

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> I think that the quality of story cinematics has improved by several hundred percent since Season 4. What cinematics were you referring to?

Have you seen the cinematics from story mode AC? When joining any of the organizations in core history? Or the Destiny's Edge one in Sorrow's Embrace story. Arenanet hasn't made anything on that level since launch. The quality has decreased imo, we've got some here and there but nothing near as close. I remember getting so dissapointed that AC was the only dungeon with such an awesome cinematic.

> @"Knuckle Joe.7408" said:

> > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > I think that the quality of story cinematics has improved by several hundred percent since Season 4. What cinematics were you referring to?

>

> Have you seen the cinematics from story mode AC? When joining any of the organizations in core history? Or the Destiny's Edge one in Sorrow's Embrace story. Arenanet hasn't made anything on that level since launch. The quality has decreased imo, we've got some here and there but nothing near as close. I remember getting so dissapointed that AC was the only dungeon with such an awesome cinematic.

Ah, you mean the concept art-style cutscenes? Yes, those were really nice. I thought we were talking about actual in-game cinematics like Aurene's ascension scene, for instance.