Possibly-Returning Player w/ a question

So I've been considering playing this game again, WoW is pretty boring to me currently and Destiny just isn't hooking me. But I had heard something I was hoping people could verify or confirm is false. Hopefully the latter.

Is it true that this game was confirmed as receiving no more expansions any time even relatively soon? I heard that they basically said no more expansions, which kinda sucks. I like playing MMOs that I know will have a future but that did concern me. The source I got it from though, is not necessarily the most reliable. I figured I'd come right to the source and ask what's up?

None are currently planned but they’re not ruled out

>[[PC Games]](https://www.pcgamesn.com/guild-wars-2/new-expansion) Sept 4th 2019

> In an interview at PAX West, Guild Wars 2 game director, Mike Zadorojny, talked about whether the path forward for the game is free content rather than paid expansions. On the topic, he said “I don’t think we have an answer for that one yet. For us, at least today, we know that with the stuff that we want to give – the quality of life improvements, the story we’re trying to tell – Icebrood Saga is the best way we can deliver free content to our players.”

> continued, saying “now, whether or not we change that method moving forward, we’ll have a different conversation at that point.” PR manager Justin Fassino then added “I think the important thing here, obviously, is that everyone at the studio knows that there’s a demand for an expansion. So it’s not like we’re ruling it out.”

> @"Archivist.8109" said:

> Okay that's good to hear! I think the information I was getting was greatly exaggerated.

>

> Not that gamers are ever dramatic ;D

Yea but they aint working on one now, so when they decide to make one it will be released about 3 years after that point at the earliest.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"Archivist.8109" said:

> > Okay that's good to hear! I think the information I was getting was greatly exaggerated.

> >

> > Not that gamers are ever dramatic ;D

>

> Yea but they aint working on one now, so when they decide to make one it will be released about 3 years after that point at the earliest.

Speaking of overly dramatic...

They're not releasing an expansion sold in a box for an additional fee any time soon. They are continuing to release Living World episodes (one in September, one due in a few weeks, another probably in January and more after that) which are free if you log in during their release period - the time between one episode and the next - or 200 gems if you want to buy them later. Each episode is a segment of an on-going storyline, and recently each one has included a new map but they've said they might go back to re-working existing maps in some future episodes (or maybe maps which build up over time like they originally did with Silverwastes and Drytop). Previous episodes have also included things like new armour or weapon sets to collect, new mounts, new mastery abilities and various other stuff besides the story.

It might also be worth considering that GW2 doesn't charge a subscription fee, you get the latest Living World episode free when you log in and the level cap and equipment cap doesn't increase, so you don't have to commit to anything in advance. You can log in, jump straight into the latest release (or whatever else you want to play) and stop whenever you feel like it without wasting any money or time beyond what you spend playing.