Disappointment in Icebrood Saga Delivery

jwaz.1908

In my opinion, Icebrood Saga should've been a standalone 'DLC' not related to POF whatsoever, including having to purchase it separately. In addition, the character select screen should've been changed to represent the change of scenery since POF has been irreverent to the story for awhile now. Just my opinion on the matter, as it stands I don't feel excited or invested in the story anymore, especially after the lackluster reveal during PAX.

> @"jwaz.1908" said:

> In my opinion, Icebrood Saga should've been a standalone 'DLC' not related to POF whatsoever, including having to purchase it separately. In addition, the character select screen should've been changed to represent the change of scenery since POF has been irreverent to the story for awhile now. Just my opinion on the matter, as it stands I don't feel excited or invested in the story anymore, especially after the lackluster reveal during PAX.

So has hot by your logic, it was an expansion, brought us in stuff, and once done there's not too much reason to reference it, yet we've had living world stories essentially based around the aftermath, meaning your point is irrelevant.

you don't feel excited or invested, cool, then don't and wait for the next one

In theory, they have more people focused on a single season even with the amount of people they lost in the past months, based on the release of this episode i can tell already that anet split their already "SMALLER TEAM" again, the quality of content on this episode was abismally small for the window of time they had (6 months), this episode had to be amazing to hook all the players again, but instead they deliver one of smallest content episode of all seasons.

If it was a _paid_ stand-alone 'DLC' (which I don't see the advantage of), the Devs would not be able to devise any content that needed any past Masteries. I think, personally, that would be a shame. It would also mean that should they want to add any content that _did_ include past Mastery abilities, they would have to create alternate content that didn't to achieve the same goal. Likely, either an Episode with less content, or taking more time to release.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> If it was a _paid_ stand-alone 'DLC' (which I don't see the advantage of), the Devs would not be able to devise any content that needed any past Masteries. I think, personally, that would be a shame. It would also mean that should they want to add any content that _did_ include past Mastery abilities, they would have to create alternate content that didn't to achieve the same goal. Likely, either an Episode with less content, or taking more time to release.

That was my first thought too. If it's a stand-alone DLC then you have to allow for people who have the base game and Icebrood Saga but don't have PoF or HoT, and that means no gliding, no mounts, no bounce mushrooms etc. (or building in a duplicate system for them to unlock those things through the new maps) and quite different designs for the maps as a result.

Plus I'm not really sure it benefits anyone to do that. They've combined PoF and HoT into one purchase and made that the only version of the game you can get now, short of going out of your way to track down an older copy with a key which still works. So the majority of players will either have a paid account with HoT & PoF or a free account with just the base game - they could have LW episodes unlocked but can't actually play them until they upgrade to a paid account. Then there's a minority of players with a paid base game account or with just HoT, who are effectively the same as free players - they can play the new content if they buy PoF. Adding a 4th category for people who don't have PoF but do have Icebrood Saga just complicates things for both players and Anet.

If anything I think they should be looking to simplify it even further by including LW seasons in the expansions, because right now it's pretty off-putting for some people to think they've bought the entire game and then find they've got a bunch of additional purchases to get the rest of the story.