If GW2 ever go into Maintenance Mode later on, would you all be ok with new Elite Specs be sold?

down the road if GW2 ever goes into Maintenance Mode, with no Expansions/New Content maps updates,

would you be ok with the remaining developers to make Elite Specs for weapons that arent yet playable for each class, and sell them over time on the gem store?

---------------------

Edit:

I was thinking about the vast number of different elite specs that would be possible, if each elite spec had its own unique weapon for each class. But with each elite spec coming out with new expansions, and new expansions coming every 2-3+ years

it wouldnt be surprising for the game to eventually go into Maintenance Mode before all Elite Spec/Weapon options per class would be completed. Which sparks the reason I made this thread.

> @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> If it goes into maintenance mode, there won't be development of elite specs. Pretty much by definition, no development *at all* happens while in maintenance mode.

That's what I was thinking. If they're developing new stuff - whether it's what you want them to be doing or not - then the game is, by definition, not in maintenance mode. If it is in maintenance mode then they will not be developing anything new for it, only doing maintenance.

As for buying elite specs it really depends on what they are. I'm not opposed to paying for additional features I like in games, but it needs to be worth the price. There's been some elite specs I knew I wanted (weaver for example) and would have bought seperately for a reasonable price. There's others I wouldn't bother with. The problem is there's some which didn't sound appealing at first and which I didn't really understand or enjoy playing until I'd had a while to experiment with it. If I had to buy them seperately I probably wouldn't, and then I'd never work out that I could enjoy playing them.

> If it goes into maintenance mode, there won't be development of elite specs. Pretty much by definition, no development *at all* happens while in maintenance mode.

This.

Maintenance mode literally means the existing game gets upheld so that servers keep running and nothing beyond that.

Sometimes I have a feeling people don't actually undertstand what maintanance mode or even a game closing down means.

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > If it goes into maintenance mode, there won't be development of elite specs. Pretty much by definition, no development *at all* happens while in maintenance mode.

>

> This.

>

> Maintenance mode literally means the existing game gets upheld so that servers keep running and nothing beyond that.

>

> Sometimes I have a feeling people don't actually undertstand what maintanance mode or even a game closing down means.

It would ment they were doing gw3 :)

...I think.

> @"Aeolus.3615" said:

> > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > > If it goes into maintenance mode, there won't be development of elite specs. Pretty much by definition, no development *at all* happens while in maintenance mode.

> >

> > This.

> >

> > Maintenance mode literally means the existing game gets upheld so that servers keep running and nothing beyond that.

> >

> > Sometimes I have a feeling people don't actually undertstand what maintanance mode or even a game closing down means.

>

> It would ment they were doing gw3 :)

>

>

>

> ...I think.

There will never be a GW3 MMORPG.

There might be some type of Guild Wars game in the universe, but it will most certainly not be an MMORPG and it will most certainly not release within the next 4 years.

Exactly. Contradictive poll. Maintenance mode automatically means no elites ever or any development beyond keeping existing servers and festivals running.

Elite spec additions can only happen before maintenance mode and we aren’t anywhere near that point

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > If it goes into maintenance mode, there won't be development of elite specs. Pretty much by definition, no development *at all* happens while in maintenance mode.

>

> Exactly. Contradictive poll. Maintenance mode automatically means no elites ever or any development beyond keeping existing servers and festivals running.

>

> Elite spec additions can only happen before maintenance mode and we aren’t anywhere near that point

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/10/lord-of-the-rings-online-and-maintenance-mode.html

> @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > > If it goes into maintenance mode, there won't be development of elite specs. Pretty much by definition, no development *at all* happens while in maintenance mode.

> >

> > Exactly. Contradictive poll. Maintenance mode automatically means no elites ever or any development beyond keeping existing servers and festivals running.

> >

> > Elite spec additions can only happen before maintenance mode and we aren’t anywhere near that point

>

> https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/10/lord-of-the-rings-online-and-maintenance-mode.html

I play Lotro - it is not in or close to maintenance mode. It just released a well received paid expansion two weeks ago (the second in two years), a new race, released 2dlcs this year, a new raid in 2019 another long awaited one in the new year and plans for years more content and released a very popular Legacy server. I mean that article has a few inaccuracies, some uninformed omissions and plenty of wrong conclusions.

Considering the tiny dev team, they do extremely well. It def isn't maintenance mode and is still supported and approved by Middle Earth Enterprises. And that will continue at least untilt the new LOTR MMO and is likely after as well given they will prob cover different things and licences within the Middle Earth universe.

You want maintenance mode, try a Funcom MMO. Secret World Legends has had one new map since it's re-release or updated its festivals to add the content it already has made. Anarchy Online has not had content in 10-12 years. Those and GW1 are maintenance mode. It means no content. Lotro has steady content. It may be formulaic, but it works and the schedule isn't hugely off the pace of GW2, maybe half the cadence at worst (but a fraction of the team)

GW2 is many, many years from a maintenance mode regardless of any perception of things right now. When/if that day rolls around, there will be no elite specs. No living world. Likely even no balancing. Just running servers and festivals, nothing more with a handful of people to keep it going.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> > > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > > @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > > > If it goes into maintenance mode, there won't be development of elite specs. Pretty much by definition, no development *at all* happens while in maintenance mode.

> > >

> > > Exactly. Contradictive poll. Maintenance mode automatically means no elites ever or any development beyond keeping existing servers and festivals running.

> > >

> > > Elite spec additions can only happen before maintenance mode and we aren’t anywhere near that point

> >

> > https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/10/lord-of-the-rings-online-and-maintenance-mode.html

>

> I play Lotro - it is not in or close to maintenance mode. It just released a well received paid expansion two weeks ago (the second in two years), a new race, released 2dlcs this year, a new raid in 2019 another long awaited one in the new year and plans for years more content and released a very popular Legacy server. I mean that article has so many inaccuracies

>

> Considering the tiny dev team, they do extremely well. It def isn't maintenance mode and is still supported and approved by Middle Earth Enterprises. And that will continue at least untilt the new LOTR MMO and is likely after as well given they will prob cover different things and licences within the Middle Earth universe.

>

> You want maintenance mode, try a Funcom MMO. Secret World Legends has had one new map since it's re-release or updated its festivals to add the content it already has made. Anarchy Online has not had content in 10-12 years. Those and GW1 are maintenance mode. It means no content. Lotro has steady content. It may be formulaic, but it works and the schedule isn't hugely off the pace of GW2, maybe half the cadence at worst (but a fraction of the team)

>

>

So did Everquest, is that not in maintenance mode? Same with Rift as well. Well the poll is talking about whatever state those games are in.

> > > @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> > > > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > > > @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > > > > If it goes into maintenance mode, there won't be development of elite specs. Pretty much by definition, no development *at all* happens while in maintenance mode.

> > > >

> > > > Exactly. Contradictive poll. Maintenance mode automatically means no elites ever or any development beyond keeping existing servers and festivals running.

> > > >

> > > > Elite spec additions can only happen before maintenance mode and we aren’t anywhere near that point

> > >

> > > https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/10/lord-of-the-rings-online-and-maintenance-mode.html

> >

> > I play Lotro - it is not in or close to maintenance mode. It just released a well received paid expansion two weeks ago (the second in two years), a new race, released 2dlcs this year, a new raid in 2019 another long awaited one in the new year and plans for years more content and released a very popular Legacy server. I mean that article has so many inaccuracies

> >

> > Considering the tiny dev team, they do extremely well. It def isn't maintenance mode and is still supported and approved by Middle Earth Enterprises. And that will continue at least untilt the new LOTR MMO and is likely after as well given they will prob cover different things and licences within the Middle Earth universe.

> >

> > You want maintenance mode, try a Funcom MMO. Secret World Legends has had one new map since it's re-release or updated its festivals to add the content it already has made. Anarchy Online has not had content in 10-12 years. Those and GW1 are maintenance mode. It means no content. Lotro has steady content. It may be formulaic, but it works and the schedule isn't hugely off the pace of GW2, maybe half the cadence at worst (but a fraction of the team)

> >

> >

>

> So did Everquest, is that not in maintenance mode? Same with Rift as well. Well the poll is talking about whatever state those games are in.

I don't play either so I'm not going to comment. You brought up Lotro based on an article that was wrong and I called it out for being wrong.

Maintenance mode means no content - at best some bug fixes and clean ups like GW1 gets. Anyone ascribing a release of content to game is inaccurately labelling it "in maintenance mode" and confusing low development and population with the term.

if GW2 in one distant day goes into maintenance mode, it will be by the very definition of being in that mode not get elite specs. There is therefore nothing to poll on.

A better question (not that I like polls on this forum, but I'll be constructive) would be to ask if GW2 will get elites through LW releases only should expacs be forever dropped

Gw2 is anet's only product. All non-gw2 staff got tossed off the ship by ncsoft. If gw2 goes into maintenance mode, ncsoft will axe all remaining developers too, so there will be no developers left to work on improvements as their side project, and no main product to pay for the development costs

Remember that they have explained that the maintenance mode cost for gw1 is minimal, which is probably why they (Anet) are allowed by ncsoft to keep it up

Gw2 may be very different, however, in terms of upkeep costs, and it won't have a gw3 elder brother to help pay for its existence. Ncsoft is not likely to keep it up for long if it doesn't show significant ongoing profit margin.

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

>

> This.

>

> Maintenance mode literally means the existing game gets upheld so that servers keep running and nothing beyond that.

>

> Sometimes I have a feeling people don't actually undertstand what maintanance mode or even a game closing down means.

This is the problem with this overreaction the community has. No one actually knows what maintenance mode actually is. You'll have people claiming seriously, that the game is already in it.

People also seriously underestimate how few people you need to have to have future development stopped. FFXI was basically a dead game, it went into maintenance mode, then SE saw still how profitable new content would be, and took it out to continue development. GW2 has infinitely more players and income than XI did when it went into maintenance mode. It's seriously not something to be concerned about for years to come.

> > > @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> > > > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > > > @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > > > > If it goes into maintenance mode, there won't be development of elite specs. Pretty much by definition, no development *at all* happens while in maintenance mode.

> > > >

> > > > Exactly. Contradictive poll. Maintenance mode automatically means no elites ever or any development beyond keeping existing servers and festivals running.

> > > >

> > > > Elite spec additions can only happen before maintenance mode and we aren’t anywhere near that point

> > >

> > > https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/10/lord-of-the-rings-online-and-maintenance-mode.html

> >

> > I play Lotro - it is not in or close to maintenance mode. It just released a well received paid expansion two weeks ago (the second in two years), a new race, released 2dlcs this year, a new raid in 2019 another long awaited one in the new year and plans for years more content and released a very popular Legacy server. I mean that article has so many inaccuracies

> >

> > Considering the tiny dev team, they do extremely well. It def isn't maintenance mode and is still supported and approved by Middle Earth Enterprises. And that will continue at least untilt the new LOTR MMO and is likely after as well given they will prob cover different things and licences within the Middle Earth universe.

> >

> > You want maintenance mode, try a Funcom MMO. Secret World Legends has had one new map since it's re-release or updated its festivals to add the content it already has made. Anarchy Online has not had content in 10-12 years. Those and GW1 are maintenance mode. It means no content. Lotro has steady content. It may be formulaic, but it works and the schedule isn't hugely off the pace of GW2, maybe half the cadence at worst (but a fraction of the team)

> >

> >

>

> So did Everquest, is that not in maintenance mode? Same with Rift as well. Well the poll is talking about whatever state those games are in.

Maintenance mode means zero content. Active development is finished. It is feature complete, no further development. Maybe a security or bug fix, but that's it.

If the game is getting content, it is not in maintenance mode. Doesn't matter what your opinion of the content is, doesn't matter if there's 0 people playing it. If it's getting content, it's not in maintenance mode.

The state those games are in? It's called low population. There's no special way to describe those games, cause they are no different than any other MMO in active development.

> https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/10/lord-of-the-rings-online-and-maintenance-mode.html

Stop quoting that. It clearly states the game, LotRO, was _not_ in maintenance mode and only describes its current state - of 2014, nonetheless! Didn't LotRO release new content since then?

Anyway, your link doesn't add anything of substance to this discussion. One has to wonder why you keep posting it. Or what the point of this poll is.

This is the kinda crappy question that led to paying for templates.

To OP, you clearly don't understand the concept of what maintenance mode is. In your examples of LOTRO and EverQuest, both are still in active development.

EverQuest releases an expansion annually with it's 26th expansion coming out in December. I personally quit playing around expansion 7 or 8 which would have been 2003 or 2004. But hey what do you know, they still are releasing content.

LOTRO literally just released a new expansion a couple weeks ago and has had other expansions and dlcs before it.

These are both actively developed. By definition, maintenance mode means there is NO active development of ANYTHING.

> @"Stramatus.5219" said:

> This is the kinda crappy question that led to paying for templates.

>

> To OP, you clearly don't understand the concept of what maintenance mode is. In your examples of LOTRO and EverQuest, both are still in active development.

>

> EverQuest releases an expansion annually with it's 26th expansion coming out in December. I personally quit playing around expansion 7 or 8 which would have been 2003 or 2004. But hey what do you know, they still are releasing content.

>

> LOTRO literally just released a new expansion a couple weeks ago and has had other expansions and dlcs before it.

>

> These are both actively developed. By definition, maintenance mode means there is NO active development of ANYTHING.

>

>

Blimey...26 expacs!

Personally I hate the way the current elites are used. level up to 80, learn to play your character, whoops stop, lets re-learn to play your character again differently from the way you played it during the leveling process when you are supposed to be learning your class, not after you hit 80.