Boneskinner was bugged and we owe the designers an apology

Arden.7480

_Fixed an issue that prevented the boneskinner's health from scaling as intended._

I went to kill Boneskinner again yesterday and it was a lot of fun now when this bug was fixed. The fight is pretty scary as promised and I could hear the screams of Vigil soldiers being dragged down somewhere...

I think we all owe Arenanet a big apology, because the Boneskinner wasn't as hard as intended.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We do not owe them apologies for encountering bugs in their content and feeling underwhelmed by it as a result.

No, it's great they fixed broken content but people's criticisms were perfectly valid because they were judging the actual content that was in the game.

It's better now but I personally didn't feel it was all that scary, just another event where people don't understand the mechanics and with the wonky scaling in this game it will probably be much better with small groups.

> @"BlackyWarsX.5384" said:

> It is better now, but it still scales badly if you're less than a handful of people. The breakbar won't even move.

Agreed.

And to the OP (and others): No, the fight isn't much more interesting than before. In my opinion it isn't scary at all especially when we had a lot of fights where npcs died in a similar way. Pay attention and follow the indicator at the mini map and you don't just hear a acream lol.

> @"ZeftheWicked.3076" said:

> > @"BlackyWarsX.5384" said:

> > It is better now, but it still scales badly if you're less than a handful of people. The breakbar won't even move.

>

> Even with Essence attacks?

From what ive seen yea, it requires so much CC to stop it from pulling people away. We had one down to 30% and it failed because we couldnt interrupt his warp kills.

> It is better now, but it still scales badly if you're less than a handful of people. The breakbar won't even move.

Hmm, three of us the other day (two days ago now) defeated it, breaking the defiance bar each time. We were a Scourge, Herald and I think a Soulbeast (third was a random that joined in on the fight). Hopefully we'll get another closing map so we can try again as a duo sometime to see if much has changed, breakbar-wise with very small groups/duo. But I can't envisage much would have changed as scaling usually occurs when encounters are 6+ from memory? Boneskinner being unique though I guess anything is possible.

> @"ZeftheWicked.3076" said:

> I guess we need to test it some. That means seeing if a smaller group has issues breaking the bar because it's that overbuffed, or simply the ppl did not build for it or didn't use their cc proper when needed and it's on them..

From what ive seen its large groups that have problems with the Breakbar. Closest ive seen it with a group of 25 was at around 30% before it teleported.

Apologise for what though? There are still well intended critiques of it and it certainly in my mind deserved to be a part of the story, esp given how disappointingly short that was.

They buffed it - great. One improvement down, but there are other improvements still needed for the episode in my mind.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"ZeftheWicked.3076" said:

> > > @"BlackyWarsX.5384" said:

> > > It is better now, but it still scales badly if you're less than a handful of people. The breakbar won't even move.

> >

> > Even with Essence attacks?

>

> From what ive seen yea, it requires so much CC to stop it from pulling people away. We had one down to 30% and it failed because we couldnt interrupt his warp kills.

if there are many people even specced to CC, it won't be enough - but if only a "handful" come into the fight with 30 stacks of Resilience, breaking the bar in time won't be an issue.

I got the Constant Vigilance achievement yesterday and there were just 2-3 of us fighting it. We broke the bar like five times in a row.

The reason no one can break the CC bar is because most people aren't using the mastery, it chews that breakbar right up, better than all of my other CC skills. In a small group, you can get by with only one person having the mastery and the rest doing normal CC. But in a big group you'll need a handful of red lasers, and people just aren't doing it.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"ZeftheWicked.3076" said:

> > > It is better now, but it still scales badly if you're less than a handful of people. The breakbar won't even move.

> >

> > Even with Essence attacks?

>

> From what I've seen yea, it requires so much CC to stop it from pulling people away. We had one down to 30% and it failed because we couldn't interrupt his warp kills.

> @"Perihen the Thawk.9527" said:

> > It is better now, but it still scales badly if you're less than a handful of people. The breakbar won't even move.

>

> I got the Constant Vigilance achievement yesterday and there were just 2-3 of us fighting it. We broke the bar like five times in a row.

>

> The reason no one can break the CC bar is because most people aren't using the mastery, it chews that breakbar right up, better than all of my other CC skills. In a small group, you can get by with only one person having the mastery and the rest doing normal CC. But in a big group you'll need a handful of red lasers, and people just aren't doing it.

It's not that difficult to do, everyone just needs to not use their CC skills until that break bar pops then unload them all at once, once the bar depletes he resets and it starts all over again. Since the fix I've been part of complete success runs where no Vigil are lost, partial success with some Vigil loss...and a lot more failures, but I think there's a bug with that too because the event fails with even one Vigil left alive(at least on my screen it shows 2 alive and if 1 of those 2 gets killed then it fails)...unless that's intended and that would make it rather morbid as you would be leaving the last Vigil survivor to his death instead of at least rescuing 1 of them.

> @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> It's not that difficult to do, everyone just needs to not use their CC skills until that break bar pops then unload them all at once, once the bar depletes he resets and it starts all over again. Since the fix I've been part of complete success runs where no Vigil are lost, partial success with some Vigil loss...and a lot more failures, but I think there's a bug with that too because the event fails with even one Vigil left alive(at least on my screen it shows 2 alive and if 1 of those 2 gets killed then it fails)...unless that's intended and that would make it rather morbid as you would be leaving the last Vigil survivor to his death instead of at least rescuing 1 of them.

Got a feeling all players that joined Order of Whispers or Durmand Priory are now patting themselves on the back for dodging a bullet - no Boneskinners hunting your ass!

> @"Arden.7480" said:

> _Fixed an issue that prevented the boneskinner's health from scaling as intended._

>

> I went to kill Boneskinner again yesterday and it was a lot of fun now when this bug was fixed. The fight is pretty scary as promised and I could hear the screams of Vigil soldiers being dragged down somewhere...

>

> I think we all owe Arenanet a big apology, because the Boneskinner wasn't as hard as intended.

>

>

Just did it a couple minutes ago(also got the achievement for not letting any survivor get eaten). Doesn't seem any different from when I did it on the first day(also got the achievement that time on the first account too).

> @"Perihen the Thawk.9527" said:

>

> I got the Constant Vigilance achievement yesterday and there were just 2-3 of us fighting it. We broke the bar like five times in a row.

>

> The reason no one can break the CC bar is because most people aren't using the mastery, it chews that breakbar right up, better than all of my other CC skills. In a small group, you can get by with only one person having the mastery and the rest doing normal CC. But in a big group you'll need a handful of red lasers, and people just aren't doing it.

The key point there is the small group not the mastery. With a small group you are less likely to get sabotaged by people not bringing/using CC at the correct time.

But Boneskinner being bugged isn't something that's past tense, he still likes to take vacations at the tops of tall trees from time to time.

![](https://i.imgur.com/Ex8QNvi.jpg "")

I find this pretty entertaining, especially as it scares the crap out of anybody who happens to be AFKing on skyscales at that level, but still. It should probably be looked at lol.

> @"Torzini.1523" said:

> But Boneskinner being bugged isn't something that's past tense, he still likes to take vacations at the tops of tall trees from time to time.

>

> ![](https://i.imgur.com/Ex8QNvi.jpg "")

>

> I find this pretty entertaining, especially as it scares the kitten out of anybody who happens to be AFKing on skyscales at that level, but still. It should probably be looked at lol.

>

_“The dusk rapidly deepened; the glades grew dark; the crackling of the fire and the wash of little waves along the rocky lake shore were the only sounds audible. The wind had dropped with the sun, and in all that vast world of branches nothing stirred. Any moment, it seemed, the woodland gods, who are to be worshipped in silence and loneliness, might stretch their mighty and terrific outlines among the trees.”_

― Algernon Blackwood, The Wendigo

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > @"Arden.7480" said:

> > _Fixed an issue that prevented the boneskinner's health from scaling as intended._

> >

> > I went to kill Boneskinner again yesterday and it was a lot of fun now when this bug was fixed. The fight is pretty scary as promised and I could hear the screams of Vigil soldiers being dragged down somewhere...

> >

> > I think we all owe Arenanet a big apology, because the Boneskinner wasn't as hard as intended.

> >

> >

>

> Just did it a couple minutes ago(also got the achievement for not letting any survivor get eaten). Doesn't seem any different from when I did it on the first day(also got the achievement that time on the first account too).

>

> > @"Perihen the Thawk.9527" said:

> >

> > I got the Constant Vigilance achievement yesterday and there were just 2-3 of us fighting it. We broke the bar like five times in a row.

> >

> > The reason no one can break the CC bar is because most people aren't using the mastery, it chews that breakbar right up, better than all of my other CC skills. In a small group, you can get by with only one person having the mastery and the rest doing normal CC. But in a big group you'll need a handful of red lasers, and people just aren't doing it.

>

> The key point there is the small group not the mastery. With a small group you are less likely to get sabotaged by people not bringing/using CC at the correct time.

I'm not saying you *can't* do it without the mastery, but from all the runs I've done it seems pretty clear that the mastery does significantly more breakbar damage than all of my other CC skills, so it definitely makes it way easier. Not sure why you wouldn't take advantage of that.

> @"Snowmane.5826" said:

> Can still break it's bar, the community is just hilariously bad at actually firing CC; like, seriously, how do people not know to conserve CC after all these years...

Oh man I wish I knew the answer to that... best days for CC bars was at inception for HoT. Then a few things happened afterwards:

1. So many people were at new maps on release days and there were so many people autoing/just CCing randomly that bosses just melted regardless.

2. Slowly, as a result of more releases and loss of importance, it became a mechanic people just ignore... very sadly.

3. Maybe some people don't know what CC is or when it should be used.

And so on :/