Legendary items

liberte.9648

Hello, just a few weeks back I got my 1st legendary item (backpack from pvp) and I did not pay attention to details, but when I got my other 2 from pvp, I noticed they give exactly the same amount of stats, and selected stats as the ascended gear, (with only the possibility to change stats and upgrades, I know the ones from pve looks cool, but good luck wasting 4-5 months or even more on getting them + a tone of raids ) As you well may know acquiring a legendary item is very costly both in gold(or your parents debit card) and time. I mean, those are the end game items, the cherry on top of the cake, you just can't make them give the same amount of stats as a previous grade, I never saw this before anywhere else, I lost interest for going for the other ones, it doesn't matter anyway. "Yea but you look fancier bla bla " Check the skins in gem store, way more beautiful and expressive, for I dare say less amount of gold. The only legendaries that are worth it for now are the weapons(for the looks) but again, same stats as an ascended weapon.

They are hard enough to get as it is, make them more rewarding not only in looks (btw the ones from pvp have no visiual effect what so ever). Thanks

They are specifically designed to have the same stats as the highest other tier. That used to be exotic and now it is ascended. Giving them extra stats makes them a must own rather than a luxury item. And given the time/cost to make, that is a problem

As someone with multiple legendaries, the answer is a resounding

No

Welcome to GW2 - this is a concept called horizontal progression and it's pretty central to the game's design. The idea being that it shouldn't take a lot of time (or money, real or otherwise) to get the best stats, especially for PvP and instead the main thing which determines whether one player is better than another is their skill - how well they know the game and make use of the tools available to them. As a result most of the big rewards and long-term goals, especially legendary items, are almost entirely cosmetic (sometimes with convinience factors like being able to swap stats). That way no one has to grind out the hardest to get items just to be competative, only if they like how they look and want the skins.

It's extremely unlikely that will be changed because as I said it's pretty central to the whole game's design and a big part of the appeal for a lot of players. (Especially those old enough that they can't depend on their parent's to buy them stuff and have to work to earn it.) If Anet was to change it they would upset a lot of people and likely lose a lot of players, only to put themselves more directly into competition with many other MMOs which revolve around constantly obtaining better and better items to keep up with other players.

You aren't alone in your opinion, but you are in a minority with it. Legendaries used to not have stat swapping they were exclusively for the appearance and they were still highly sought after. Most people I know are happy to not require the extreme time commitment of grinding full legendary to hit best in slot gear which makes gearing alt characters and even alt accounts for end game content bearable. While on the other end it is nice to have high value items that one can work for overtime which legendaries provide.

The whole point of legendary items is that they will always have the highest stats/be the highest tier along with some quality of life and cosmetic benefits compared to other weapons. When the game launched, they has exotic soldiers stats; when ascended gear was introduced, they were bumped up to have the same stats. The only advantage legendary gear has over ascended is the ability to change stats whenever you want whilst out of combat. As the owner of several legendaries, i wouldn't mind a tiny stat increase (like 1%) but for me their main attractive features are and have always been cosmetic and utility. When you consider that central tyria was designed for exotic-level stats, ascended is already quite a boost.

There was a time I thought Legendary items should have higher stats in addition to swapping stats, animations, and footfalls. Now I'm glad the stats are equal to those of Ascended items.

With a Legendary you really get an Ascended (precursor) with a few gizmo add-ons. Those add-ons "cost" a lot, but that's ultimately what sets them apart from the rest of the flock of weapons and armors.

Having several Legendaries myself, I don't think I'm better than anyone else, I just worked more at what I wanted and sacrificed other things.