No bow for Dragonhunter? What's up with that?

GW Noob.6038

Longbow gets outperformed by scepter as far as damage goes, that is why.

Longbow is a fine weapon (actually really good for tagging a lot of mobs) but as far as DPS goes, scepter has a much higher potential.

When the evil, DPS-meter using meta pushers put out builds, they normally put in the best in slot equipment, which would be why you don't see longbow advertised as the weapon of choice a lot.

The weapon is fine though. If you want to use it, use it. Have fun, tag mobs, hunt dragons.

I hope this answers your question.

> @"knite.1542" said:

> Longbow gets outperformed by scepter as far as damage goes, that is why.

Which begs the question: WHY did Anet make a one-handed weapon much more powerful than a two-handed weapon? You don't have to answer that, I just find it absurd and unjustifiable.

> When the evil, DPS-meter using meta pushers put out builds, they normally put in the best in slot equipment, which would be why you don't see longbow advertised as the weapon of choice a lot.

Those are the people you see attacking inanimate golems, and such? I don't think they're evil people - they're creepy, no doubt about that, but I don't think they're evil. When I first started playing I tried one of the "meta" builds at Megabattle for my Ranger...it was so disastrous that it was almost comical! After a week of that stupidity, I stopped using their build and developed my own build that didn't require me to have my own personal Druid following me around! :D

I'll probably windup using a Greatsword as my main, with the longbow as my secondary.

> @"GW Noob.6038" said:

> > @"knite.1542" said:

> > Longbow gets outperformed by scepter as far as damage goes, that is why.

>

> Which begs the question: WHY did Anet make a one-handed weapon much more powerful than a two-handed weapon? You don't have to answer that, I just find it absurd and unjustifiable.

>

> > When the evil, DPS-meter using meta pushers put out builds, they normally put in the best in slot equipment, which would be why you don't see longbow advertised as the weapon of choice a lot.

>

> Those are the people you see attacking inanimate golems, and such? I don't think they're evil people - they're creepy, no doubt about that, but I don't think they're evil. When I first started playing I tried one of the "meta" builds at Megabattle for my Ranger...it was so disastrous that it was almost comical! After a week of that stupidity, I stopped using their build and developed my own build that didn't require me to have my own personal Druid following me around! :D

>

> I'll probably windup using a Greatsword as my main, with the longbow as my secondary.

>

I'll answer it: Scepter has all of one CC (Immobilize), which can include a few other minor effects when traited. Its primarily intended as a damage weapon, and all the off-hands you can combine it with are either damaging or defensive, save for one push in shield.

The longbow, on the other hand, is a heavy CC weapon. It inflicts alot of soft CC, and its #5 is the strongest hard CC in the game, being an AoE Ward. When fully traited, the longbow inflicts permanent Cripple, can Blind, knock-back, and contain enemies. It also has a bit of defensive utility in gaining Stability and deflecting projectiles, on top of the #2 being a strong burst skill that can snipe enemies, taking half their HP.

And then its also affected by all the Virtue of Justice and Symbol traits, just like any weapon, and it has more range than Scepter, and doesn't require to be combined with any close-range offhands which further increase the effective range.

I think I even missed a few things, but that's a summary.

> @"Hannelore.8153" said:

> > @"GW Noob.6038" said:

> > > @"knite.1542" said:

> > > Longbow gets outperformed by scepter as far as damage goes, that is why.

> >

> > Which begs the question: WHY did Anet make a one-handed weapon much more powerful than a two-handed weapon? You don't have to answer that, I just find it absurd and unjustifiable.

> >

> > > When the evil, DPS-meter using meta pushers put out builds, they normally put in the best in slot equipment, which would be why you don't see longbow advertised as the weapon of choice a lot.

> >

> > Those are the people you see attacking inanimate golems, and such? I don't think they're evil people - they're creepy, no doubt about that, but I don't think they're evil. When I first started playing I tried one of the "meta" builds at Megabattle for my Ranger...it was so disastrous that it was almost comical! After a week of that stupidity, I stopped using their build and developed my own build that didn't require me to have my own personal Druid following me around! :D

> >

> > I'll probably windup using a Greatsword as my main, with the longbow as my secondary.

> >

> I'll answer it: Scepter has all of one CC (Immobilize), which can include a few other minor effects when traited. Its primarily intended as a damage weapon, and all the off-hands you can combine it with are either damaging or defensive, save for one push in shield.

>

> The longbow, on the other hand, is a heavy CC weapon. It inflicts alot of soft CC, and its #5 is the strongest hard CC in the game, being an AoE Ward. When fully traited, the longbow inflicts permanent Cripple, can Blind, knock-back, and contain enemies. It also has a bit of defensive utility in gaining Stability and deflecting projectiles, on top of the #2 being a strong burst skill that can snipe enemies, taking half their HP.

>

> And then its also affected by all the Virtue of Justice and Symbol traits, just like any weapon, and it has more range than Scepter, and doesn't require to be combined with any close-range offhands which further increase the effective range.

>

> I think I even missed a few things, but that's a summary.

Thanks for that detailed response! Do you know if it's possible to fully trait for both the Greatsword and the longbow? I hope it is.

> @"GW Noob.6038" said:

> > @"knite.1542" said:

>

> Which begs the question: WHY did Anet make a one-handed weapon much more powerful than a two-handed weapon? You don't have to answer that, I just find it absurd and unjustifiable.

>

> > When the evil, DPS-meter using meta pushers put out builds, they normally put in the best in slot equipment, which would be why you don't see longbow advertised as the weapon of choice a lot.

>

> Those are the people you see attacking inanimate golems, and such? I don't think they're evil people - they're creepy, no doubt about that, but I don't think they're evil. When I first started playing I tried one of the "meta" builds at Megabattle for my Ranger...it was so disastrous that it was almost comical! After a week of that stupidity, I stopped using their build and developed my own build that didn't require me to have my own personal Druid following me around! :D

>

> I'll probably windup using a Greatsword as my main, with the longbow as my secondary.

>

Very few ranged weapons can deal decent damage in PvE. One handed or dual handed, does not matter. Scepter is a ranged one handed weapon that far out damages LB. LB is used mainly for AOE situations. It has some open world uses. Do not use it to fight champions. Like it or not, DH power is married to GS, if you want optimal dps in PvE, with sword or scepter being your second weapon.

Maybe you can't find any good OW build with Longbow because you're searching on Metabattle? If you want a good OW build, make it by yourself. Metabattle's OW builds are almost the same as for raids or fractals.

And if there are no LB builds, it's probably because LB is not the best weapon and scepter does better in damage. If you want to play with LB, just look at the DH traits, read them and take what is useful for you.

• 2 weeks later...

> @"GW Noob.6038" said:

> > @"knite.1542" said:

>

>

>

>

>

Greatsword and scepter with torch (have to use it since I have Meteorlogicus) and will switch out to longbow depending on circumstances for my Guardian.

As for my Ranger, it's bow and double axes with greatsword as an option.

I once created a the Blue Power Ranger build, which uses Longbow and Hammer - two underrated weapons with very slow attackspeed. It was just experimental to see if the Longbow's potential can be unlocked. Recently I finished my Power Quickbrand, modified/downgraded meta-battle version. Then I decided to give the Longbow build another try, recycling the Quickbrand gear (except for the weapons & Sigils).

Greatsword Blue Ranger

This is a modification, adjusted to GS and Longbow as you requested. It performs not as bad as it looks like, but it is definitely NOT META!

**Crit Rate**

35.14 % (base) + 20 % (perma Fury) + 25 % (perma Retaliation) + 10 % (burning foes) = 90 % Longbow and 95 % on Greatsword

_How does it work?_

- DH traits are optimized for Longbow, mostly Deflecting Shot. This is turned into a CC with a knockback, that triggers Quickness every 2nd shot. Just launch it whenever the cooldown is over, to keep the mobs at distance.

- Litany, Save Yourselves and Stand Your Ground should be chained one after another to grant permanent Retaliation.

- Feel My Wrath whenever it is ready.

- Procession of Blades. When you fight more mobs or a tough one, it is good to start with closer range and place the trap. Then slowly walk backwards kiting the mobs into the trap. You can also start from range and place it on the ground, to counter mobs which come from other directions. Both strategies work well.

- Longbow can be used to stack up Quickness.

**Notes:** It works in open world PvE. Cirt rate and damage multipliers are still great. In direct comparison, Longbow performs horribly weak. The others have already explained that to the detail. I use the build in open world PvE, because I can recycle my Quickbrand gear. It is fun to play, but not efficient (obviously).