please give base professions access to more weapons ~

figure out which weaps you want to release with expacs and let the rest free. you're not going to release enough expacs for all the remaining weaps. gw2 needs variety, to both combat the stale meta and to counter the current one. the process of nerf this buff that becomes easier with more choices since one little change here or there is a more viable solution, whereas one change to 1 weap (imagine if all profs had access to only 1 weap) would be huge. if you really want this game to be about counters then give us more counters. also buff underperforming weaps and traits, thank you and goodbye.

I've been suggesting the same thing over and over for quite some time.

Not just here.

In reddit, twitter, Facebook, and whatever else I thought I could reach the devs.

We really need this man; so in order to bring variety into the game, and at the same time make each class truly unique.

Balance issues is something that can always be worked out, in time.

I haven't given it too much thought though,

So I can only suggest a few obvious ones.

Here's the list.

Guardian > Land Spear (Main Hand)

Necromancer > Scythe (2 Hands)

Mesmer > Whip (MH)

Thief > Shuriken (MH) or (OH)

Warrior > Chained short swords (2H)

Revenant > Pole-Axe (2H)

Ranger > Crossbow (2H)

Elementalist > Spellbooks (Off hand)

Engineer >

> @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> This has been discussed again.

>

> https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/87706/new-core-weapons-is-one-of-the-easiest-form-of-new-content-that-can-add-hundreds-of-gameplay-hours/p1

Interesting thread.

I have read some really good comments.

One of them, I had suggested myself in yet another similar post.

We could get a unique core weapon per class, but instead of doing it the traditional way, like having to unlock an elite spec; each class would have to talk with a NPC that would give us a collection.

For instance, for Guardian, we would have to have PoF, to go to Elona and speak with an NPC over there that gives us "The Guardian Angel" collection, to unlock the Spear and new utily skills, like chants.

For a thief, we'd have to have HoT for instance. Have to travel to Auric Basin and talk to a Exalted NPC to unlock "The way of the Dragon" collection, in order to unlock shuriken weapon and assassin utility skills.

I think with a little work it would bring new players in and incentivate core only players to buy expansions.

> @"SoulGuardian.6203" said:

> > @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > This has been discussed again.

> >

> > https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/87706/new-core-weapons-is-one-of-the-easiest-form-of-new-content-that-can-add-hundreds-of-gameplay-hours/p1

>

> Interesting thread.

> I have read some really good comments.

> One of them, I had suggested myself in yet another similar post.

>

> We could get a unique core weapon per class, but instead of doing it the traditional way, like having to unlock an elite spec; each class would have to talk with a NPC that would give us a collection.

>

> For instance, for Guardian, we would have to have PoF, to go to Elona and speak with an NPC over there that gives us "The Guardian Angel" collection, to unlock the Spear and new utily skills, like chants.

>

> For a thief, we'd have to have HoT for instance. Have to travel to Auric Basin and talk to a Exalted NPC to unlock "The way of the Dragon" collection, in order to unlock shuriken weapon and assassin utility skills.

>

> I think with a little work it would bring new players in and incentivate core only players to buy expansions.

Core weapon means core weapon. No PoF, HoT. And, no. We have enough weapons as it is. Reworking some existing core weapons (eg dagger main hand necro) to make them useful, that would be great. Creativity through recycling, not new content, is much easier.

> @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> is much easier.

does not equal better. a lot of weaps should be buffed, but even if they were, that doesn't mean new weaps wouldn't help and be a great addition to the game. some weaps are sort of relegated to certain game modes, which I don't like but would be fine if there were more options. take ele for example. how many viable weaps do they have in pvp? one at the moment. buffing scepter and dagger would be great and would add variety, but adding new weapons would create more replayability like SoulGuardian said and create a more complete counter system.

> @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > @"SoulGuardian.6203" said:

> > > @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > > This has been discussed again.

> > >

> > > https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/87706/new-core-weapons-is-one-of-the-easiest-form-of-new-content-that-can-add-hundreds-of-gameplay-hours/p1

> >

> > Interesting thread.

> > I have read some really good comments.

> > One of them, I had suggested myself in yet another similar post.

> >

> > We could get a unique core weapon per class, but instead of doing it the traditional way, like having to unlock an elite spec; each class would have to talk with a NPC that would give us a collection.

> >

> > For instance, for Guardian, we would have to have PoF, to go to Elona and speak with an NPC over there that gives us "The Guardian Angel" collection, to unlock the Spear and new utily skills, like chants.

> >

> > For a thief, we'd have to have HoT for instance. Have to travel to Auric Basin and talk to a Exalted NPC to unlock "The way of the Dragon" collection, in order to unlock shuriken weapon and assassin utility skills.

> >

> > I think with a little work it would bring new players in and incentivate core only players to buy expansions.

>

> Core weapon means core weapon. No PoF, HoT. And, no. We have enough weapons as it is. Reworking some existing core weapons (eg dagger main hand necro) to make them useful, that would be great. Creativity through recycling, not new content, is much easier.

You missed my point.

The smart thing here, is marketing bait.

You wouldn’t need new elite specs to be able to unlock the weapons, but you would still need the expansions.

Surely you wouldn't want to give f2p core only players access to all the good stuff, right?

ANet isn't running a charity centre.

They're a business who needs to generate income.

If f2p players see all of the people who have the expansions get all them unique items, the majority would probably want to buy the expansions.

That's the whole point of it.

Ok, let's do it your way.

Make the new possible weapons, core only.

You suggest that f2p gain access to them?

Then ANet are spending time and resources to gain precisely what in return?

It's hard enough as it is to get them to pay any attention to us, let alone consider to actually make it a reality... and you think they're going to make it absolutely free!?

Might aswell shut the server down now, and give us a patch to create our own servers, or leave it to the modders.

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> Power creep and adding even more problems to balance.

Games never been balanced, even at launch it was laughable, using that as a reason for not doing something isnt very good. It being a massive investment for development time and resources outside of an expansion would be a better reason for saying no, which..is probably why well never see it.

> @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > is much easier.

>

> does not equal better. a lot of weaps should be buffed, but even if they were, that doesn't mean new weaps wouldn't help and be a great addition to the game. some weaps are sort of relegated to certain game modes, which I don't like but would be fine if there were more options. take ele for example. how many viable weaps do they have in pvp? one at the moment. buffing scepter and dagger would be great and would add variety, but adding new weapons would create more replayability like SoulGuardian said and create a more complete counter system.

"does not equal better" says who? On the contrary. Existing weapons can be made useful cause it costs far less time to tweak and balance them. We need less broken stuff, not more.

Weaver in pvp and in wvw is a meme. Sword, dagger, scepter, focus do a crapton of damage and are more than viable. In wvw at least. Whenever i see a weaver with its big dps and huge sustain, I just leave.

Yeah, firmly in the nope camp. OP seems to discount how much time and energy goes into balance rn, and how much more their suggestion would require. I'd much rather anet tweak what they have than introduce new things, and that applies to a lot of areas of the game for me . . .

> @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > > is much easier.

> >

> > does not equal better. a lot of weaps should be buffed, but even if they were, that doesn't mean new weaps wouldn't help and be a great addition to the game. some weaps are sort of relegated to certain game modes, which I don't like but would be fine if there were more options. take ele for example. how many viable weaps do they have in pvp? one at the moment. buffing scepter and dagger would be great and would add variety, but adding new weapons would create more replayability like SoulGuardian said and create a more complete counter system.

>

> "does not equal better" says who? On the contrary. Existing weapons can be made useful cause it costs far less time to tweak and balance them. We need less broken stuff, not more.

> Weaver in pvp and in wvw is a meme. Sword, dagger, scepter, focus do a crapton of damage and are more than viable. In wvw at least. Whenever i see a weaver with its big dps and huge sustain, I just leave.

Meanwhile in PVE scepter is nearly useless, staff is pretty bland and been nerfed way to hard, sword and dagger are the best combo ive seen with dagger dagger following close behind, hardly see anybody using warhorn, or focus for that matter. Now that anets doing separate balances itd be nice if they would un do some of the nerfs to weapons in PVE because of how they performed in WVW and PVP. I still want new weapon types to play with but i agree they need to fix the old stuff too.

I haven't mastered weaver Sword/Dagger yet.

To me is like playing a piano, at the moment.

Sure, I need more time playing weaver to get good at it.

However, imo it takes less tweaking adding a new weapon with simple, straight forward skills, than tweaking a weaver.

You could say that ANet are a "victim of their own success" which is not far off of digging your own hole, in some respects.

Weaver, engineer, and other similar classes have way too much coding.

Add specs to it, and you have a world of hurt as a coder.

Too many variables, too many triggers and conditions.

I don't think a simple spear that requires no elite spec and only has 3 skills is going to be worse than a weaver or engineer by any stretch of the imagination.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > > > @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > > > is much easier.

> > >

> > > does not equal better. a lot of weaps should be buffed, but even if they were, that doesn't mean new weaps wouldn't help and be a great addition to the game. some weaps are sort of relegated to certain game modes, which I don't like but would be fine if there were more options. take ele for example. how many viable weaps do they have in pvp? one at the moment. buffing scepter and dagger would be great and would add variety, but adding new weapons would create more replayability like SoulGuardian said and create a more complete counter system.

> >

> > "does not equal better" says who? On the contrary. Existing weapons can be made useful cause it costs far less time to tweak and balance them. We need less broken stuff, not more.

> > Weaver in pvp and in wvw is a meme. Sword, dagger, scepter, focus do a crapton of damage and are more than viable. In wvw at least. Whenever i see a weaver with its big dps and huge sustain, I just leave.

>

> Meanwhile in PVE scepter is nearly useless, staff is pretty bland and been nerfed way to hard, sword and dagger are the best combo ive seen with dagger dagger following close behind, hardly see anybody using warhorn, or focus for that matter. Now that anets doing separate balances itd be nice if they would un do some of the nerfs to weapons in PVE because of how they performed in WVW and PVP. I still want new weapon types to play with but i agree they need to fix the old stuff too.

Power scepter/warhorn tempest is meta, far from useless. Condi dagger/warhorn temp is meta, power sword dagger weaver is meta, condi sword/focus is meta. Heal staff is meta. Hell, even staff temp or staff weaver fps is still great if you know your rotations, you may not see meta dps but it is certainly viable. Player skill plays a huge role.

I honestly dont know what you mean with your post.

I don't think this is a good idea at the moment. Perhaps in far future (with elite specs attached). For now they should focus on existing bug fixing of skills (build templates still bug i.e. revenant atm while this should have been hotfixed), balancing current classes in all game modes and making sure that all weapons are viable (why can't all weapons be meta at same time..). If they add new weapons now and they aren't meta weapons nobody will even touch them apart from a minority that likes them for the aestetics.

> @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > > > > @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > > > > is much easier.

> > > >

> > > > does not equal better. a lot of weaps should be buffed, but even if they were, that doesn't mean new weaps wouldn't help and be a great addition to the game. some weaps are sort of relegated to certain game modes, which I don't like but would be fine if there were more options. take ele for example. how many viable weaps do they have in pvp? one at the moment. buffing scepter and dagger would be great and would add variety, but adding new weapons would create more replayability like SoulGuardian said and create a more complete counter system.

> > >

> > > "does not equal better" says who? On the contrary. Existing weapons can be made useful cause it costs far less time to tweak and balance them. We need less broken stuff, not more.

> > > Weaver in pvp and in wvw is a meme. Sword, dagger, scepter, focus do a crapton of damage and are more than viable. In wvw at least. Whenever i see a weaver with its big dps and huge sustain, I just leave.

> >

> > Meanwhile in PVE scepter is nearly useless, staff is pretty bland and been nerfed way to hard, sword and dagger are the best combo ive seen with dagger dagger following close behind, hardly see anybody using warhorn, or focus for that matter. Now that anets doing separate balances itd be nice if they would un do some of the nerfs to weapons in PVE because of how they performed in WVW and PVP. I still want new weapon types to play with but i agree they need to fix the old stuff too.

>

> Power scepter/warhorn tempest is meta, far from useless. Condi dagger/warhorn temp is meta, power sword dagger weaver is meta, condi sword/focus is meta. Heal staff is meta. Hell, even staff temp or staff weaver fps is still great if you know your rotations, you may not see meta dps but it is certainly viable. Player skill plays a huge role.

> I honestly dont know what you mean with your post.

Im only speaking to PVE here(not raids or fractals), should have been clearer on that. I seldom see Eles running anything other than Sword/Dagger Weaver or Staff Weaver, D/D ive seen once in a blue moon. Im running scepter Weaver right now and the DPS drop is pretty noticeable compared to pretty much any other weapon i could choose for open world purposes.

Alot of eles weapons are great in certain content yes, but overall in open world PVE i can do alot more with sword or staff as those two weapons have more DPS available, -or- more AOES.

But, this is getting off topic so imma stop here.

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> Power creep and adding even more problems to balance.

> @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> We need less broken stuff, not more.

> @"Gop.8713" said:

> OP seems to discount how much time and energy goes into balance rn, and how much more their suggestion would require.

so with this frame of mind we shouldn't see any more expansions cuz balance. game is so out of balance that adding anything new would be disastrous, balance is too hard omg I can't kill/ survive anything and thats not my fault, dumb stale meta nothing changes.

maybe its your frame of mind thats the problem. for the most part balance is fine right now, yes there are a few glaring problems but there are far more under powered things atm. so, logic dictates that the majority of _core_ weaps would also be under powered, whereas anet can still relegate the weaps they've chosen for expacs to be op.

> > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > Power creep and adding even more problems to balance.

>

> > We need less broken stuff, not more.

>

> > @"Gop.8713" said:

> > OP seems to discount how much time and energy goes into balance rn, and how much more their suggestion would require.

>

> so with this frame of mind we shouldn't see any more expansions cuz balance. game is so out of balance that adding anything new would be disastrous, balance is too hard omg I can't kill/ survive anything and thats not my fault, dumb stale meta nothing changes.

It seems like you have some underlying issues here as you've introduced concepts that were not suggested by the posts you quoted. If you'd like to discuss them a new thread might be a better solution for you . . .

> maybe its your frame of mind thats the problem. for the most part balance is fine right now, yes there are a few glaring problems but there are far more under powered things atm. so, logic dictates that the majority of _core_ weaps would also be under powered, whereas anet can still relegate the weaps they've chosen for expacs to be op.

Or perhaps I prefer perfecting existing options over introducing new shinies to distract from existing flaws. Or perhaps players are different, with different perspectives . . .

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > > > > @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > > > > > @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > > > > > is much easier.

> > > > >

> > > > > does not equal better. a lot of weaps should be buffed, but even if they were, that doesn't mean new weaps wouldn't help and be a great addition to the game. some weaps are sort of relegated to certain game modes, which I don't like but would be fine if there were more options. take ele for example. how many viable weaps do they have in pvp? one at the moment. buffing scepter and dagger would be great and would add variety, but adding new weapons would create more replayability like SoulGuardian said and create a more complete counter system.

> > > >

> > > > "does not equal better" says who? On the contrary. Existing weapons can be made useful cause it costs far less time to tweak and balance them. We need less broken stuff, not more.

> > > > Weaver in pvp and in wvw is a meme. Sword, dagger, scepter, focus do a crapton of damage and are more than viable. In wvw at least. Whenever i see a weaver with its big dps and huge sustain, I just leave.

> > >

> > > Meanwhile in PVE scepter is nearly useless, staff is pretty bland and been nerfed way to hard, sword and dagger are the best combo ive seen with dagger dagger following close behind, hardly see anybody using warhorn, or focus for that matter. Now that anets doing separate balances itd be nice if they would un do some of the nerfs to weapons in PVE because of how they performed in WVW and PVP. I still want new weapon types to play with but i agree they need to fix the old stuff too.

> >

> > Power scepter/warhorn tempest is meta, far from useless. Condi dagger/warhorn temp is meta, power sword dagger weaver is meta, condi sword/focus is meta. Heal staff is meta. Hell, even staff temp or staff weaver fps is still great if you know your rotations, you may not see meta dps but it is certainly viable. Player skill plays a huge role.

> > I honestly dont know what you mean with your post.

>

> Im only speaking to PVE here(not raids or fractals), should have been clearer on that. I seldom see Eles running anything other than Sword/Dagger Weaver or Staff Weaver, D/D ive seen once in a blue moon. Im running scepter Weaver right now and the DPS drop is pretty noticeable compared to pretty much any other weapon i could choose for open world purposes.

>

> Alot of eles weapons are great in certain content yes, but overall in open world PVE i can do alot more with sword or staff as those two weapons have more DPS available, -or- more AOES.

> But, this is getting off topic so imma stop here.

All ele weapons are viable in open world, mobs die easily to anything. I myself play FA scepter warhorn tempest, whole game besides raids is easy (yes, even fractals are easy). Mind numbingly easy. You say you dont care about dps, yet... You see a dps drop when you play scepter Weaver?

Again, player skill should be taken into account. I see regularly people camping staff air and using auto attacks, that doesnt mean staff damage has to be buffed, does it?

> > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > Power creep and adding even more problems to balance.

>

> > We need less broken stuff, not more.

>

> > @"Gop.8713" said:

> > OP seems to discount how much time and energy goes into balance rn, and how much more their suggestion would require.

>

> so with this frame of mind we shouldn't see any more expansions cuz balance. game is so out of balance that adding anything new would be disastrous, balance is too hard omg I can't kill/ survive anything and thats not my fault, dumb stale meta nothing changes.

>

> maybe its your frame of mind thats the problem. for the most part balance is fine right now, yes there are a few glaring problems but there are far more under powered things atm. so, logic dictates that the majority of _core_ weaps would also be under powered, whereas anet can still relegate the weaps they've chosen for expacs to be op.

This has been discussed, again, in depth, in another similar thread. Not too sure what this ad hominem is, but there are plenty of weapons for plenty of gamemodes. And, no. Balance isnt no where near "ok" right now. Because all weapons will be made available in all modes

> @"Gop.8713" said:

> It seems like you have some underlying issues here as you've introduced concepts that were not suggested by the posts you quoted. If you'd like to discuss them a new thread might be a better solution for you . . .

> Or perhaps I prefer perfecting existing options over introducing new shinies to distract from existing flaws. Or perhaps players are different, with different perspectives . . .

lol, I was mimicking all of your arguments in a joking sort of way.

"perfecting existing options". the majority of weapon skills are fine; its the traits and class design that are much bigger problems. are you saying after 7 years that anet is going to magically make all weaps viable in all modes? that's not realistic. besides its not impossible to buff existing weaps while introducing new ones.

> @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> This has been discussed, again, in depth, in another similar thread. Not too sure what this ad hominem is, but there are plenty of weapons for plenty of gamemodes. And, no. Balance isnt no where near "ok" right now.

> Because all weapons will be made available in all modes

so what? i'm bringing it up again. yes I can take an ele staff into pvp, or a warrior offhand sword into wvw. does that simple choice mean everythings ok? balance isn't great; but weaps are for the most part not the problem, traits and class mechanics are.

i'm not sure what you're trying to say with that second part.