Weren't Revenants supposed to receive a new Sword Autoattack #3?

zallesz.1650

I saw them in the original Balance patch preview, the comment was that they thing that the sword autoattack animation was not prevalent enough, and they added a new one (or just changed) the third animation in the autoattack chain.

Now, this part is missing from the Balance Patch update notes.

I am personally deeply saddened by this, as I always thought that the sword AA animations were a bit lackluster, and since a lot of builds use that, it felt bad knowing that most of the Revenant players are stuck with such a wonky animation. This was probably the most important change I was looking forward to.

What do you guys think?

> @"zallesz.1650" said:

> I saw them in the original Balance patch preview, the comment was that they thing that the sword autoattack animation was not prevalent enough, and they added a new one (or just changed) the third animation in the autoattack chain.

> Now, this part is missing from the Balance Patch update notes.

> I am personally deeply saddened by this, as I always thought that the sword AA animations were a bit lackluster, and since a lot of builds use that, it felt bad knowing that most of the Revenant players are stuck with such a wonky animation. This was probably the most important change I was looking forward to.

> What do you guys think?

I think that and Sword 3 on male norn need some love, swords animations frankly are not that great... The other weapons have some super cool and fluid animations with great effects so you know its a rev. Sword seems kinda meh in comparison, and it always felt stiff compared to say mace or staff/hammer. Honestly I just want a core condi-ranged wep for rev so that way we can run say a core, condi build and have a ranged choice.

Good change if done well, terrible if they fuck it up.

AA does look very boring but it's not unserviceable.

It's Rift Slash that lacks any visual representation of an exploding Rift.

It happens fast too so all yu hear is an audio cue of a pop and see an extra damage number, but other than that it doesn't have the supposed visual impact of slashing a Rift and it exploding on the target.

> @"Buran.3796" said:

> Why would you want to use a sword after the patch? Power builds will probably keep lagging behind condition in PvE, and in WvW/PvP the burst just won't be there anymore.

Fire weaver still has a ton of access to burn. You just won't be able to cc then chain 10 burn stacks on someone for 5 seconds. Considering current weaver easily maintains 25 stacks of might and gale is a 3s knockdown, you can do 17k damage at 10 stacks of burn over 3s. Now assuming you average 15 might stacks and you can only apply

10 burns at best for 2s your looking at about 8k damage. Let's just assume that most burns will be 1s and you can only stack about 5 at a time. That's closer to 2k burning in 1 second which is still a fair amount of damage.

> @"FrownyClown.8402" said:

> > @"Buran.3796" said:

> > Why would you want to use a sword after the patch? Power builds will probably keep lagging behind condition in PvE, and in WvW/PvP the burst just won't be there anymore.

>

> Fire weaver still has a ton of access to burn. You just won't be able to cc then chain 10 burn stacks on someone for 5 seconds. Considering current weaver easily maintains 25 stacks of might and gale is a 3s knockdown, you can do 17k damage at 10 stacks of burn over 3s. Now assuming you average 15 might stacks and you can only apply

> 10 burns at best for 2s your looking at about 8k damage. Let's just assume that most burns will be 1s and you can only stack about 5 at a time. That's closer to 2k burning in 1 second which is still a fair amount of damage.

Disregard I'm an idiot and assumed this was in a weaver post lol

^ Sword wielding power Shiro build have been so prevalent since HoT release due a mix of a) very weak alternative builds and b) has mobility and burst potential to effectively fill the +1 role.

But my bet is that with the cuts in spike and sustained damage the +1 role will be unfeasible, with bunker builds becoming so durable that devoting 2 players trying to kill them will become ineffective, and players slanting instead towards being better and capping and defending control points. If that prevails the swords will become more or less irrelevant...

> @"Buran.3796" said:

> ^ Sword wielding power Shiro build have been so prevalent since HoT release due a mix of a) very weak alternative builds and b) has mobility and burst potential to effectively fill the +1 role.

>

> But my bet is that with the cuts in spike and sustained damage the +1 role will be unfeasible, with bunker builds becoming so durable that devoting 2 players trying to kill them will become ineffective, and players slanting instead towards being better and capping and defending control points. If that prevails the swords will become more or less irrelevant...

Thus why people are starting to look a condi builds in general, but once again, across all classes, not just rev.

> Thus why people are starting to look a condi builds in general, but once again, across all classes, not just rev.

The thing is... it would be amazing if we had a ranged condi weapon. Right now, shortbow is still terrible (moving enemies are not affected by skill2, skill 3, you cannot use in pvp at all, because you simply cannot hit the players with how clunky it is). I love shortbow in PVE and the animations look amazing, but in pvp it just does not work.

> @"zallesz.1650" said:

> The thing is... it would be amazing if we had a ranged condi weapon. Right now, shortbow is still terrible (moving enemies are not affected by skill2, skill 3, you cannot use in pvp at all, because you simply cannot hit the players with how clunky it is). I love shortbow in PVE and the animations look amazing, but in pvp it just does not work.

Mace has this problem too.

Mace is two line target AoEs, though fat, are slow or too short for fast paced PvP.

(Same problem with a majority of Hammer skills, being horrible for PvP usage, more suited as a sieging weapon)

We really need another ranged alternative for Power and Condi both, and a Lightweight melee for Condi.

Or yu know, just revamp all the current ones so they aren't poo poo to use.

> @"Buran.3796" said:

> Why would you want to use a sword after the patch? Power builds will probably keep lagging behind condition in PvE, and in WvW/PvP the burst just won't be there anymore.

I'm not. I'm just finishing up leg armor on my Rev, and I was considering learning to play Alacrene in Fractals, but I think instead I'm going for a condi build for OW and metas and such, as I find sw/sw Rev pretty unfun to play, and the future of Hammer Rev in WvW is suspect atm.

> @"zallesz.1650" said:

> > Thus why people are starting to look a condi builds in general, but once again, across all classes, not just rev.

> The thing is... it would be amazing if we had a ranged condi weapon. Right now, shortbow is still terrible (moving enemies are not affected by skill2, skill 3, you cannot use in pvp at all, because you simply cannot hit the players with how clunky it is). I love shortbow in PVE and the animations look amazing, but in pvp it just does not work.

>

>

Skill2 I completely agree with.

Skill3 though I’m going to have to argue. Most of the time I have no issue with it. It’s a skill shot and does require some thinking to it. The problem isn’t landing it, imo, it’s that the cost to use it isn’t worth the energy cost. No buffing for it is going to happen though with the current state of balancing so I wouldn’t put any effort in that. I forgot what, if there any, nerfs will come with today’s patch, but if it doesn’t change much, maybe it’ll be more inline for worth now.

Well, I actually feel good about the changes for Revenant, although I only tried them in PVE so far.

We have the new animation for sword, which is not that different, but is still a huge upgrade (yaaaaay).

Condition feels amazing, especially with the condi application on legend swap.

I like the battle scar system, I have a more tankier open world power build now.

So overall, satisfied, will have to see how it performs in competitive modes.