Ranger elite specialization for the 3rd expansion.

Kyle.7243

> @"Mokk.2397" said:

> > @"Krispera.5087" said:

> > > @"Fueki.4753" said:

> > > If you were to remove the spirits, **core** Rangers would lose their connection to Nature and a substantial part of the lore behind them and suddenly become nothing more than another iteration of the bland _pew-pew Archetype_ that many games incorporate.

> >

> > Ok, then, let's keep useless spirits that only work with Druid in raids for the sake of roleplaying and lore.

> >

> >

> >

>

> Spirits are stand alone, buffed by one single trait . Non of the specializations have any effect on what spirits do.

I'm well aware of that ? I don't think you understood what I meant.

I'm saying spirits are only used by one build and it's by the Druids in raids. It's not even used in Fractals anymore, because of the Stability nerf.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Krispera.5087" said:

> They could just do the same they did with Guardian's tomes. Give the core ranger new utilities (Preparation ? Shouts ?) and give the reworked spirits to a new elite spec. That would make it much much better than just the convoluted fire and forget buffing spirits that are completely useless outside of Druid in raids.

Spirits go well with dps boon ranger, even soulbeast to an extent. You can do well in pve strolling with it when u complement it with your build. For example if you dont want to use marksmanship but need extra vulnerability, you can use the strom spirit. Its not really true that it doesnt work outside raids.

Spirit beast. The pet is ethereal (i.e. ghost wolf/bear/bird) and provides various utility skills for the party (stun breaks, cc, cleanses, etc). No damage at all, because they're not fully in the physical realm.

Along with this, I would do a Nature Magic and spirits overhaul. Spirits should be wisps that orbit the ranger, and provide passive buffs to weapons. They also have useful active abilities which consume them.

> @"mistsim.2748" said:

> Spirit beast. The pet is ethereal (i.e. ghost wolf/bear/bird) and provides various utility skills for the party (stun breaks, cc, cleanses, etc). No damage at all, because they're not fully in the physical realm.

>

> Along with this, I would do a Nature Magic and spirits overhaul. Spirits should be wisps that orbit the ranger, and provide passive buffs to weapons. They also have useful active abilities which consume them.

So basically you want spirits to work exactly like signets?

> @"Kodama.6453" said:

> > @"mistsim.2748" said:

> > Spirit beast. The pet is ethereal (i.e. ghost wolf/bear/bird) and provides various utility skills for the party (stun breaks, cc, cleanses, etc). No damage at all, because they're not fully in the physical realm.

> >

> > Along with this, I would do a Nature Magic and spirits overhaul. Spirits should be wisps that orbit the ranger, and provide passive buffs to weapons. They also have useful active abilities which consume them.

>

> So basically you want spirits to work exactly like signets?

That sounds more like Glint's facets to me.

But those Wisps should, if they were to exists, be the utility skills of that new elite-spec, rather than replacing the spirits.

Mechanically, the things I like most about the ranger are the huge amounts of combo options and torch/horn swapping, but I feel pushed into using more straightforward power weapons and two handers that don't add a lot of ability to mix/match. So mechanically I'd like a one-hand weapon that we could use main- or off. Pistol would be my goal, although I'm not sure how to make the lore work with it.

Lore-wise, I definitely want something that leans into the pet, but more in a utility sense than raw damage like Beast Master.

• 2 weeks later...

For me i just dont want ireno to becin charge forcthe next e spec. I dont think the person who gave us druid and soulbeast is able to produce elite spec thar will be good. Honestly both are trash , there skills , traits and what the spec is about its just garbage, i hate what has done to my favorite class

> @"bOTEB.1573" said:

> The ranger needs something in between druid and DPS. The DPS should be weaker than the other ranger's spec vs single target and should be stronger vs aoe. The healing should be weaker than the druid but the shaman should provide nice buffs to the party/squad. Something capable of AOE damage and squad/group buff. This is what the ranger lacks and this is why it can't find a place in a well organized or semi-organized squads.

>

I agree with this line of thinking and have been thinking the same for a while. I care less about the mechanics of HOW so much as the result that Ranger would have a squad/party support role, ideally in a way that gives it a unique role different from Scourge/Revenant/Tempest etc. But rather than abolishing the pet entirely, which has already been done with the Soulbeast merge, this elite needs to make use of the pet as part of the buffing/supporting mechanic that incorporates pet choice into the benefit that the ranger brings to the squad.

> @"Moira Shalaar.5620" said:

> > @"bOTEB.1573" said:

> > The ranger needs something in between druid and DPS. The DPS should be weaker than the other ranger's spec vs single target and should be stronger vs aoe. The healing should be weaker than the druid but the shaman should provide nice buffs to the party/squad. Something capable of AOE damage and squad/group buff. This is what the ranger lacks and this is why it can't find a place in a well organized or semi-organized squads.

> >

> I agree with this line of thinking and have been thinking the same for a while. I care less about the mechanics of HOW so much as the result that Ranger would have a squad/party support role, ideally in a way that gives it a unique role different from Scourge/Revenant/Tempest etc. But rather than abolishing the pet entirely, which has already been done with the Soulbeast merge, this elite needs to make use of the pet as part of the buffing/supporting mechanic that incorporates pet choice into the benefit that the ranger brings to the squad.

>

>

I think it is extremely unlikely that rangers will get another support elite spec, since you already have druid.

A bruiser playstyle elite spec is more likely in my opinion, which would also perfectly work with the "bunny thumper" theme that many rangers have been asking for for years.

Having rangers unlock hammers with the physical skill type to let them brawl alongside their pet would make alot of people happy, I guess.

I want more focus on the pet. I like Soulbeast. Getting a stat boost based on the pet type is fun. The stances are awesome and are my favourite ranger skills. That said I mostly still play core ranger outside of fractals and that's because I want to play side by side with my pet. The pet is the reason I chose the profession.

• 1 month later...

> @"Thornwolf.9721" said:

> Name: Warden

> Role : Tank/dps

> Lore: The Wardens of the Evhovald forest are something of legend, their teachings and methods have been something that was thought to be lost in time. However you having become a living legacy to their methods and ways of life have learned to tap into the world around you. With Mace and shield you enter the fray and bulwark yourself with living vines and living constructs of nature. But the true power you bring to bear is in the pets you tame, massive monsters that would otherwise be thought to be unnameable have become your allies in this fight. They deal the decisive blow while you create an opening and together the two of you can conquer all odds for you are now a force of untamed nature.

>

> The trade off would be the player is very reliant on the pet to deal the damage, or to be the tank. It can't be both and the player has to decide whether or not they want to be CC and tanky or Squishy and reliant on their beast to protect them. (The player won't do as much damage as say a soulbeast, but paired with the pet they could easily be more of a threat.)

I have a similar idea for the warden based on what someone posted on the forums years ago. It is also a tank/dps spec but it's weapon of choice is a hammer, has rage utility skills, and could build up energy to turn into a tree monster

We had sonething that was added to the pet. (Druid)

We had something that enhanced the pet mechanic (Sbeast).

We didn't had something that replaces it with something enhancing/different.

So i would be happy if something like a totem mechanic would come into play.

So you replace the pet with a totem you can position and cast Area of effects with it and you can imbue it with different pet spirits.

Paired with a hammer/double maces and concecrations this could be a great control spec.

If they actually add new specs, I'd like to see the use of 2h spears or focus + shield. Also lose the pet.

Spears for aoe damage and control - #1 600 range mid dmg spammy skill, #2 360 range mid dmg spin skill, #3 240 range low damage ground smash CC skill, #4 defensive skill (barrier and evade), #5 high dmg long cd 900 range cast skill with spikes coming from the ground at location, also cripple hitting 5 targets.

Focus + Shield for support and sustain - #1 180 range low dmg slap with 3 stages, 1. dmg 2. dmg + bleed 3. dmg + regen, #2 mid dmg 900 range aoe with slow, #3 low dmg 360 range hard aoe CC + mid aoe heal, #4 (shield) aoe barrier + condi cleanse, regen, protection + aoe blind and cripple, #5 (shield) shockwave, smash shield into the ground, 400 range high dmg, knockback, grant aoe aegis, regen and stability.

Maybe work with command skills and add a few more + rune set and traits (so we have 2 traits working with command skills).

We'll probably get rifles or something else that's useless outside PVE.

> @"Solanum.6983" said:

> I Love the Idea of Spirit Pets.

> What I would love is a feral themed spec focusing on spirit pets, One for each family of pet and weaving in and out of the spirit world with stealth. But seeing how controversial stealth is I doubt It'll ever happen.

Add trapper runes and we got another perma stealth bs class. No ty.

Objectively there won't be an e-spec where the ranger lose it's pet more than he lose it in soulbeast. There is just to much packed onto the pet in the core profession.

Personally I can imagine a few path of developpement for the next e-spec:

- A "command" spec (Hunter): Modify F2 to standardized skills per pet type (ferocious/deadly/supportive/versatile/stout. Probably not the same skills than soulbeast), effects are granted via traits to the pet each time you dodge (may be "on hit" effects or simply aegis/blurr). Weapon: focus (trait increase endurance regen when equiped). Utility: shouts. _That should complement well the ranger's kit without making to much noise balance wise._

- A "minion/turret" spec (Hivemaster/Herder/herbalist): Restrain the choice of pet to an e-spec specific category of pets. Utility: minions (after all you need a zoo). Weapon: shield (for hivemaster) or scepter (for herder/herbalist). _A minion spec for the "pet profession" it's a safe bet in my opinion._

> @"Hannelore.8153" said:

> I imagine we'll be getting a Hunting spec. Rifle, Stealth skills, very Thief-like. Just like in every other game that has Rangers..

I don't think the ranger will get guns (riffle or pistol), after all it's the "nature" profession.

>

> Alternatively the ability to have up to six pets in a "Minion" build, like Necro.

Yeah, a Minion spec is a safe bet. Having _minions_ as utilities and a bit of investment on them in the traits would free ANet from having much balance to do for sPvP/WvW since such utilities/traits would be inefficient in the gamemodes. I'd be ANet, I'd flood the 3rd gen e-specs with minions abilities (minions/turrets/spirits) and enjoy the low impact this would have on the sPvP subforum and balance in general. (Well I'm sure the initial uproar about "useless" set of e-specs would end up fading quickly)

We have a support class in Druid, a strong single target power OR condi class in Soulbeast, we need a good AOE dps class that focuses on Nature Magic.

New weapon could be focus. Pets could turn into familiars or spirits. They lose their auto-attack but are ethereal and now cast spells depending on the pet. I think losing auto attack would justify maybe 2 spell abilities plus the ability to swap pets.

Soulbeast really isn't a pet enhancing spec. It allows you to play without a pet, which is the opposite of that.

To that effect I'd really like an elite spec that focuses on making the ranger a master of beasts. Either make a single pet very strong or let us have two pets out simultaneously. Remove the pet swap and instead make it a pet heal/revive if buffing one pet or losing that ability for a second F2 on the pet skill bar for the second pet.

Weapon could be a mainhand Warhorn that makes our 1-3 skills command the pet to do things. 1 could be a call that boosts the pet damage to compensate for the loss of player auto attack. 2 could be a short range move that teleports the pet to the target and slows the target. 3 could make the pets break out of stuns, gain evasion frames, and teleport back to the ranger while giving the ranger a short duration of protection.

The heal could heal the ranger and revive their downed pets instantly for when you don't want to wait for them to naturally recover. Utilities could be minion-like skills that summon an extra pet. Bonus points if we can actually assign which pets we want to each utility slot. They'd be weaker and not have their F2s, but it'd be compensated with a pack. Elite could perhaps be a skill that makes all pets invulnerable for a period of time while boosting their damage.

Basically I want to be a super powered zookeeper.

For the new elite specialization, I'd love to feel a deeper connection to nature itself. I imagine a 'guardian of nature' type of ranger, with the shield as the new weapon and camouflage abilities (the image in my head is the shield as part of the camouflage, hiding the ranger), that would change depending on the environment around us. For example, different F5 skills depending on the type of environment (forest vs desert vs snow etc.) :)

> @"TheLadyOfTheRings.9148" said:

> camouflage abilities (the image in my head is the shield as part of the camouflage, hiding the ranger)

This game needs **less** hiding, not more.

You already have Deadeyes for your ranged hiding elite spec.

Ranger should not become a Deadeye with better sustain, better ranged damage and the pet on top.