Burn DH counters Scourge?

EremiteAngel.9765

> @Aeolus.3615 said:

> arent sourges mostly built with aoe ground targeted skills?

>

> DH f3 only blocks frontal direct atacks, and DH f3 nowadays gets easilly interrupted even if the DH has stability and is not even atacking... same happens with shelter.

Actually F3 block negates all shade attacks. You can get a friend to try. Stand in any position in his shade facing the Scourge and you will block all his attacks.

Can confirm range is difficult to counter as Scourge. Any class with decent mobility really.

If I am trying to solo a camp or join a zerg and I get targeted by dead eye or long bow ranger, I pretty much resign myself to death as I have shitty, long cool down gap closers, no blocks, and horrible projectile block skills.

I'm pretty sure rangers and thieves see Scourge as free kills in WvW.

> @"Esprit Dumort.3109" said:

> Can confirm range is difficult to counter as Scourge. Any class with decent mobility really.

>

> If I am trying to solo a camp or join a zerg and I get targeted by dead eye or long bow ranger, I pretty much resign myself to death as I have kitten, long cool down gap closers, no blocks, and horrible projectile block skills.

>

> I'm pretty sure rangers and thieves see Scourge as free kills in WvW.

I dunno...I gave 2 different rangers a run for their money (Soulbeast/druid). Both werent together. Faced a DH/Soulbeast today and both eventually dropped (not at the same time but in the same fight)

> @Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:

> > @"Esprit Dumort.3109" said:

> > Can confirm range is difficult to counter as Scourge. Any class with decent mobility really.

> >

> > If I am trying to solo a camp or join a zerg and I get targeted by dead eye or long bow ranger, I pretty much resign myself to death as I have kitten, long cool down gap closers, no blocks, and horrible projectile block skills.

> >

> > I'm pretty sure rangers and thieves see Scourge as free kills in WvW.

>

> I dunno...I gave 2 different rangers a run for their money (Soulbeast/druid). Both werent together. Faced a DH/Soulbeast today and both eventually dropped (not at the same time but in the same fight)

They probably need to learn to play. Knockback and that long ass immob with the recent ferocity changes makes soulbeast the perfect counter to scourge. Scourge with its shitty 900 range and crap mobility is a joke to them.

While mostly working in PvP I've found a similar build to work in WvW against Scourges on Deadeye. Full zerker rifle (Force + Impact sigils) utilizing the knockdown cantrip, power on revealed traits, signet that grants 500-something power on active... you get the picture. Literally blast that pesky scourge down!

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any questions.

I don't think these posts are answering the OP's question which seems to be more geared towards massive zergs as opposed to spvp and roaming or dueling. There are several things wrong with "burn DH countering scourge"

1. Why are you running burn DH in a zerg when burn firebrand is superior in literally every single aspect.

2. For one reason or another, scourges scale much better in mass than burn DHs due significantly larger AoE damage, barriers, boon corrupt, cc, ect.

Also to address some your point about f3 and leading the charge into scourge; it simply doesn't work for a multitude of reasons.

1. The burn on block trait has a 1 second internal cool down and you don't have very many blocks to begin with which means you'll be doing trivial amounts of damage and will literally get yourself killed if you try to face tank multiple scourges.

> @jul.7602 said:

> I don't think these posts are answering the OP's question which seems to be more geared towards massive zergs as opposed to spvp and roaming or dueling. There are several things wrong with "burn DH countering scourge"

> 1. Why are you running burn DH in a zerg when burn firebrand is superior in literally every single aspect.

The one thing Dragonhunter definitely does better than Firebrand is the F3 block letting you and allies safely charge in through shades (and most other attacks). Is that enough? Probably not, but it is a unique advantage to Dragonhunter.

> @momophily.3814 said:

> The counter for scourge is to have no boons and fight at range

This!

This strategy negates 90% of his condi pressue. But you still need a few disengage tools as the scourge has some tools to close the gap effectively (portal, cripple, chill).

Not if you run staff + trailblazer / dire.

Full Viper... every semi competent player will see you as a free kill if he catches you on your own.

> @Nowaki.2136 said:

> No, trapper DH with bow does counter it tho..... to be fair any class with a bow (and thief with pistols/DE) counter scourage, and spellbreaker but they counter anything so....

DH "range" dps is not strong enough and mobile enough to threaten a Scourge.

Deadeye does with teleport and stealth. Not to mention P/P deadeye damage is just disgusting in range standard.

LB Druid can annoy Scourge quite a bit with immobolize and 1700 range.

> @Roxanne.6140 said:

> > @Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:

> > > @"Esprit Dumort.3109" said:

> > > Can confirm range is difficult to counter as Scourge. Any class with decent mobility really.

> > >

> > > If I am trying to solo a camp or join a zerg and I get targeted by dead eye or long bow ranger, I pretty much resign myself to death as I have kitten, long cool down gap closers, no blocks, and horrible projectile block skills.

> > >

> > > I'm pretty sure rangers and thieves see Scourge as free kills in WvW.

> >

> > I dunno...I gave 2 different rangers a run for their money (Soulbeast/druid). Both werent together. Faced a DH/Soulbeast today and both eventually dropped (not at the same time but in the same fight)

>

> They probably need to learn to play. Knockback and that long kitten immob with the recent ferocity changes makes soulbeast the perfect counter to scourge. Scourge with its kitten 900 range and crap mobility is a joke to them.

Soulbeast is a joke to Scourge in WvW due to severe lack of cleanse and zero boon removal.

As long as any of the shade f1 lands on Soulbeast, the fight is over. (cripple weakness torment, burn, boon corrupt in one click)

If you're Druid, at least you got a full cleanse , stealth, heal, and ancient seed to have a fighting chance.

> @jul.7602 said:

> 1. Why are you running burn DH in a zerg when burn firebrand is superior in literally every single aspect.

> 1. The burn on block trait has a 1 second internal cool down and you don't have very many blocks to begin with which means you'll be doing trivial amounts of damage and will literally get yourself killed if you try to face tank multiple scourges.

burn dh has WAY better burst.

the block doesn't do lots of damage to one person, but does tons of aoe damage to the entire zerg. also, scourges don't have unblockable attacks, so dh leading the charge could work in theory...

> @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > @jul.7602 said:

> > 1. Why are you running burn DH in a zerg when burn firebrand is superior in literally every single aspect.

> > 1. The burn on block trait has a 1 second internal cool down and you don't have very many blocks to begin with which means you'll be doing trivial amounts of damage and will literally get yourself killed if you try to face tank multiple scourges.

>

> burn dh has WAY better burst.

> the block doesn't do lots of damage to one person, but does tons of aoe damage to the entire zerg. also, scourges don't have unblockable attacks, so dh leading the charge could work in theory...

DH does not have a bigger burst. Spamming the f3 tome reflection skill in the middle of zergs does substantially more damage than block spam with f3 due to constantly procing permeating wrath. The damage is even more extreme when you start spamming the f1 tome.

I don't really get where everyone is going with "charging into scourges", for one there are still unblockable marks and wells, and even if you did get in 200-melee range of scourge then what? You'll get condi bursted almost as soon as virtue of courage expires.

> @EremiteAngel.9765 said:

> > @Aeolus.3615 said:

> > arent sourges mostly built with aoe ground targeted skills?

> >

> > DH f3 only blocks frontal direct atacks, and DH f3 nowadays gets easilly interrupted even if the DH has stability and is not even atacking... same happens with shelter.

>

> Actually F3 block negates all shade attacks. You can get a friend to try. Stand in any position in his shade facing the Scourge and you will block all his attacks.

Staff marks are unblockable you'll get fire stacks applied back onto you and feared away.

> Can confirm range is difficult to counter as Scourge. Any class with decent mobility really.

>

> If I am trying to solo a camp or join a zerg and I get targeted by dead eye or long bow ranger, I pretty much resign myself to death as I have kitten, long cool down gap closers, no blocks, and horrible projectile block skills.

>

I play Ranger, i wouldnt see them as "free" kills. I see them as POSSIBLE kills if i dont mess up. If i do. Condi bomb = death. Even with all my condi removal its just not enough. Not sure about others though. Plus i havent been playing Ranger or Soulbeast that long.

• 2 months later...

Necromancer and all of its elite specs has always been ranger's easiest fight. All other classes have enough range to counter or obscene mobility to close.

So yeah. Okay. If they (scourges) close and shit on you with 14 conditions you're pretty much effed on core ranger or soulbeast, but at that point you've already put yourself at a disadvantage.

_Unless you're playing a melee-only ranger. But if you're really doing that you'd save yourself a lot of effort by just uninstalling the game._

Rangers are pretty much the answer to Necromancers. Which is nice, we're not the definitive answer to anything else.

~ Kovu